VN Ren'Py Abandoned The Good Guy [Ep.1] [NwB Games]

KiichiYakuza

Mar 2, 2022
The idea is not bad but I think you should be careful, the problem I see in that is, maybe if the player decides to be "the good guy" but everyone treats the mc like the errand boy, it can affect how the players see those characters or possible LI, that is if you are good with them and everyone tries to take advantage of the mc, I don't think the player could see them in a good way later and if they don't like to play the "bad guy" they lose interest in the game.

Do u plan to make the paths by points (each choice gives points "gg","bg" and depending on the amount is the path or events that are developed ) or the player selects how to act with each separate character, that is, the player can choose "gg" with XX character and with another "bg"?

An example: If players want to be "gg" with little roommate :KEK: but "bg" with bitch boss, is that possible?
thing is this , at least from my point of view,
if he is treated like that for a large period of time (like a doormat) I probably won't be able to play the good path..cause it enhances the doormat mentality .. so Ill have to switch to bad guy right?but I don't like the the bad guy idea .. so I'll probably just drop it ..
let's say for the sake of discussion, I play the good path.. problem is .. when you have the LIs and other characters treating the MC for A LONG PERIOD OF TIME as a doormat and berate him and so on... I won't be able to .. connect let's say with them, the MC will be written to forgive and "oh yes , you are the love of my life of course it's all good" or "oh you are family of course I will forgive you for treating me like a doormat and berate me for XX years" but I as a player... will be left thinking "what a bunch of cunts ... they love the MC now, after treating MC like a doormat for XX years"...
That's one of the reasons where it's such a bad idea to have your MC a doormat... and from what I've seen .. 90% of the people are against him... even in the zero to hero shows you'd have at least the family supporting the MC ...

Chris2041

Oct 12, 2017
ran out of likes,
Exactly!
that's the VN I was hinting at.
yeah that was pretty bad i remeber the angry that all the characters make me and when everybody is gonna treat the MC like a human being Boom the dev abandoned that was painfull i hope this game dosent do this
one thing is making a zero to hero history but other is making the tipical japanese history o pussy MC that everyone treats bad and is a loser but for some reason has a harem

NwBGames

Apr 4, 2022
Do u plan to make the paths by points (each choice gives points "gg","bg" and depending on the amount is the path or events that are developed ) or the player selects how to act with each separate character, that is, the player can choose "gg" with XX character and with another "bg"?
At first I was planning on keep track of each characters. It's a good system because you can act in different ways with different people.

But I think having a general Good/Bad stat of the Hero is good too. Both options at the same time inside this VN is going to fit well I think.

It opens waaaayyy more paths. So you can be Good/Bad in general and Good/Bad depending on the character you dealing with.

Reactions: Crowangel

JollyGeorgieM

Apr 14, 2019
my goal is to have you guys forming the MC's persona. Good or Bad. Dom or Sub. A crazy fuck or a good dude who will pray for our souls.
It opens waaaayyy more paths. So you can be Good/Bad in general and Good/Bad depending on the character you dealing with.
Hey man, I appreciate your ambition to make the biggest and best game possible! But without personally knowing you and your work ethic, I'm a little concerned here you might be biting off more than you can chew.

From the first quote, I thought the game would have 4 routes: Good Dom, Good Sub, Bad Dom, Bad Sub. Interesting! I imagined the Good Dom using his leverage on the boss to force her to chill out (the looks on everyone's faces if she earnestly asked for his opinion at a meeting or accidentally called him master would be priceless too lmao), or the Bad Sub constantly getting caught stealing Mom's underwear on purpose just so she'll punish him some more. Basically the "Goods" enjoy a loving route while the "Bads" deal in "necessary" harsh treatment. A warm master MC, a tough slave-driver MC, a cherished servant MC, and a whipped dog MC: four unique routes, very cool.

However, with the second quote, you now have those four routes per character - a total of 20 routes (and that's just with the characters we know so far). Add in four more routes for the harem storyline, and who knows how many routes on top of that for major branches in the story based on critical plot decision moments, and you're pushing close to 30 routes already at the minimum. That's a lot of writing, my guy!

I believe this can be mitigated a bit without sacrificing player agency. How's this: have the Good/Bad stat guide overarching story decisions, and the Dom/Sub stat guide character interactions.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Hopefully this example makes it clear what I'm driving at: the Good/Bad morality changes the story, dictating what scenes pop up, while the Dom/Sub dynamic changes scenes, supplying variations. In that way you can have everything you wanted to include, but only have to manage 2 actual routes: the Good and the Bad. That allows you to make the difference between the Good and Bad routes more drastic, encouraging replay value and making it more interesting to you to write (get bored with one, hop over to the other for awhile :)). Moreover, this schism also ensures Dom/Sub is not tied to a specific route (as you seem to intend) - the MC isn't automatically Good or Bad just because he gives or takes control, and the MC can be a hero or villain regardless of the power dynamics at play in his personal relationships. A sub in the bedroom who is lionized at the office? A scheming weasel with total control of his family? Intriguing! The possibilities are widespread but the scope is safely restricted.

Were you already thinking along these lines? I'm trying to be helpful, but if I'm wasting my breath because you're five steps ahead of me that's honestly fantastic too. Or if you really have the time and discipline to crank out 30 separate routes, hey, more power to you! That will be one hell of a game! I only hope we're all still alive to play it... lol maybe I'm being too cynical. Basically, I think this has potential and I want to see that potential realized. I believe using the Good/Bad stat as a backbone and the Dom/Sub dynamic as flavor could accomplish that. It isn't the only way to do it by any means... but I hope there's at least some merit in the suggestion. Regardless, the best thing for this game will be you enjoying the process of making it, so above all else do what makes you happy!

Shieeeeeet this turned into an essay. Here's a meme to keep things light:

Good luck with your project!

• Red Heart
Reactions: NwBGames

NwBGames

Apr 4, 2022
Hey man, I appreciate your ambition to make the biggest and best game possible! But without personally knowing you and your work ethic, I'm a little concerned here you might be biting off more than you can chew.

From the first quote, I thought the game would have 4 routes: Good Dom, Good Sub, Bad Dom, Bad Sub. Interesting! I imagined the Good Dom using his leverage on the boss to force her to chill out (the looks on everyone's faces if she earnestly asked for his opinion at a meeting or accidentally called him master would be priceless too lmao), or the Bad Sub constantly getting caught stealing Mom's underwear on purpose just so she'll punish him some more. Basically the "Goods" enjoy a loving route while the "Bads" deal in "necessary" harsh treatment. A warm master MC, a tough slave-driver MC, a cherished servant MC, and a whipped dog MC: four unique routes, very cool.

However, with the second quote, you now have those four routes per character - a total of 20 routes (and that's just with the characters we know so far). Add in four more routes for the harem storyline, and who knows how many routes on top of that for major branches in the story based on critical plot decision moments, and you're pushing close to 30 routes already at the minimum. That's a lot of writing, my guy!

I believe this can be mitigated a bit without sacrificing player agency. How's this: have the Good/Bad stat guide overarching story decisions, and the Dom/Sub stat guide character interactions.

Hopefully this example makes it clear what I'm driving at: the Good/Bad morality changes the story, dictating what scenes pop up, while the Dom/Sub dynamic changes scenes, supplying variations. In that way you can have everything you wanted to include, but only have to manage 2 actual routes: the Good and the Bad. That allows you to make the difference between the Good and Bad routes more drastic, encouraging replay value and making it more interesting to you to write (get bored with one, hop over to the other for awhile :)). Moreover, this schism also ensures Dom/Sub is not tied to a specific route (as you seem to intend) - the MC isn't automatically Good or Bad just because he gives or takes control, and the MC can be a hero or villain regardless of the power dynamics at play in his personal relationships. A sub in the bedroom who is lionized at the office? A scheming weasel with total control of his family? Intriguing! The possibilities are widespread but the scope is safely restricted.

Were you already thinking along these lines? I'm trying to be helpful, but if I'm wasting my breath because you're five steps ahead of me that's honestly fantastic too. Or if you really have the time and discipline to crank out 30 separate routes, hey, more power to you! That will be one hell of a game! I only hope we're all still alive to play it... lol maybe I'm being too cynical. Basically, I think this has potential and I want to see that potential realized. I believe using the Good/Bad stat as a backbone and the Dom/Sub dynamic as flavor could accomplish that. It isn't the only way to do it by any means... but I hope there's at least some merit in the suggestion. Regardless, the best thing for this game will be you enjoying the process of making it, so above all else do what makes you happy!

Shieeeeeet this turned into an essay. Here's a meme to keep things light:

Good luck with your project!
Another one to copy and paste into my notes (for this and others projects to come).

You actually came pretty close to what I was thinking about Good/Bad working with Dom/Sub. So yes, 4 story "themes" that could be a lot fun. I really wanna try to build this "freedom" in the VN.

About the "insane amount of paths" I was thinking about moving slowly with the girls, maybe progressing with 1 or 2 in the beginning. I guess that's just delaying the hell that it will be later. I'm not thinking that far ahead but your feedback was EXTREMALY helpful and it's definitively changing some things in my system and the storylines I'm writing.

Thanks for the taking the time.

Last edited:

Blackeye.

Aug 15, 2020
Unofficial Android Port of:

The Good Guy [Ep.1]

My android port has an alternative save location, the save will remain intact when you uninstall the game so don't worry about starting over. And my port has a textbox opacity slider and text size slider and added change name to the main menu.

NakkiMuki

Dec 14, 2021
If something starts to irritate you in the game or characters within the first 3 minutes, you should press the ignore button. That dad is something so fucking annoying and Mom is like a housewife between a fist and a gas stove who can’t say anything. I’m not going to look at this anymore when I know this isn’t my game. I should press the Ignore button or a fist hole will appear on the screen. Or if dev gives me a gun and I kill my dad, then this could be a good game.