4.30 star(s) 63 Votes

ashley_1147

Mar 25, 2021
Here's the post from subscribestar:

Back in Business

Wow I'm bad at updating when there's not much to say. But now there's stuff to say, so here's the update.

Since my last update, I've found a day here or there to add a few scenes. It's been a bit productive. Challenge is, suppose there's an event with your lover written into the game. That means nine iterations of that scene need to be written (Susan, Todd, Thruple, Cade, Olivier, Jack, Nazarov, Katie, Single). So a bit of writing here or there means over two weeks I might finish one scene! It's not enough to meaningfully progress the update.

The Good Son has gotten too big, too unwieldy. Choices, paths, consequences. The complexity is exponential and I'm feeling it.

Luckily, the game is almost done. I'm very much looking forward to writing a new game where there are fewer distinct paths in the beginning. But that's just the reality as any game nears the end of its development cycle. You've grown as a developer, you see its flaws, it gets on your nerves... but you still need to complete it. I love this game and I will see it finished.

So, here's the exciting, update-worthy news.

I have time.

Things have really opened up for me at work. I will have a bunch of full 24-hour days to just go insane full hermit writer-mode for the next week. And that's what I'm going to do.

I hate giving deadlines because I basically always miss them. But by the end of next weekend (August 6th or so), this thing should be done and released. I mean, I finally have the time, I have the willpower, I have the ideas. Now I can put them into Twine.

So, who had 'early August' on their betting sheet?

ummm.....???

EcHo ZoNe

Dec 25, 2018
From subscribestar:

Not ready yet

Not the update I wanted to be making on August 7th.

I expected to have time this past week and I just didn't have enough of it. No excuses, just couldn't deliver as I thought I'd be able to. It's nearly done, but not quite yet. Complaints and frustration are justified at this point, certainly.

Sorry, everyone. Just one of those weeks. You know, when I started The Good Son in a few years ago, I was without dependants and with a bit more control of my schedule. Things can change fast in life, sometimes.

It's not like it's not coming out, it's just not there yet as I head into another crazy work week. What's there is good, but it's not the 'climax is about to begin, holy shit' part yet.

While I'm here delivering bad news, I want to put a positive spin on things by giving a shout out to Atta, who's active on The Good Son Discord. For the past two years he's provided me with private folder of videos and images for use in The Good Son. He even formats the videos to 10 second segments to make for easy transfer into the game. He's a huge help and asks for nothing in return. As slow as this work is, it'd be slower without him.

I'm definitely frustrated right now, and I know I've disappointed people. I don't want to be 'one of those' developers. Please cancel your subscriptions until something comes out, if supporting me is at all a burden. I'm just a dude working on a niche game - I'm not trying to screw anyone here.

I'm really sorry about this delay. August 6th felt so doable until it wasn't.
Nice way to hide his money milking scheme lmao

JBukharin

Feb 8, 2018
Can anyone pass a save before the yoga/massage route? I kind of tried to get the Becky Steals Todd route but it didn't work.

xana94

Nov 13, 2021
ok a coule questions,

what alls included, and when?
All we know is pregnancy, and that it’s the second to last main story update.

We have mo idea when, it was supposed to be early August and it’s gotten delayed

4.30 star(s) 63 Votes