Mod Ren'Py The Grey Dream [Ep 4 v4.3 Steam/Non-Steam] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

SonsOfLiberty

Board Buff
Compressor
Sep 3, 2022
There's just under 80 cheevos (there are some dupes so maybe ~low 70's). I didn't count the duplicates... so possibly best me saying 60-70 cheevos... give or take. Most are automatic, those that aren't are included in the ChoiceGuide.
I'm sure I can do some save scumming to get 100% once I get around to actually playing it, who knows when :ROFLMAO:

Sennistrasz

Oct 6, 2020
There's an optional task in the free roam, find clues, what is it? Or, what's the social butterfly thing?

Last edited:

JenMistress

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2019
Well, even though I was already pretty much caught up with the Dev, didn't have any problems with this mod. Actually spent more time downloading and unrarring this than playing this. ;):LOL::ROFLMAO: But anyways, thank you so very much for your work on this mod!!!

jasad

Dec 14, 2021
SanchoMod Update (Ep 4 v4.3 Steam/Non-Steam)
View attachment 3260880 View attachment 3260881 View attachment 3260882 View attachment 3260883 View attachment 3260884
Go get you some.

Links in OP and FAQ are updated accordingly.

If you enjoy my work once you've had time to check it out, consider leaving a vote and/or review so others might benefit from your experience. Positive or negative, all civil forms of rational criticism are welcomed and appreciated. Your feedback matters. Regards.
thank you for your hard work Sancho~ :LOL:

| Vee |

Jun 2, 2022
Sancho1969 Blud! I just wanna confirm are the inconsistencies resolved which were in-game not in your mod, which you were on with Dev. Are those solved in this new release of main game. Cause I'm holding it on watch since CH:3 release.
I'm asking cause I know you were working on it and it was a bone breaking cluster of variables.

Thanks for the mod BTW and being so actively helpful:giggle::coffee:.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
...are the inconsistencies resolved which were in-game not in your mod...
The dev fixed almost all the actual bugs I had been fixing via the mod for the last few updates, so those are done.

The biggest issue was the way the VN had been built for the original Ep4 which didn't use the original VN's core files resulting in save file point markers being reset (making old saves not load proper). This is resolved for the most part, although there's bound to be a few outliers.

Regarding Ep4's content only, the difference between this "Steam" version and the original non-Steam version is that the VN's core file for Ep4's content script is different... meaning those save point markers aren't the same. So, if one used my personal Ep4 mod update previously, made a save during the Ep4 content (content after Ep3), updates to the latest version of the VN, loads that save, then there's a good chance of rollback at a minimum. This is why I made the post here.

So, is the VN 100% sorted? No, it now never can be at this point. We have to deal with what we have in front of us. The past is behind us.

Reactions: imzahai and | Vee |

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
There's an optional task in the free roam, find clues, what is it? Or, what's the social butterfly thing?
Optional tasks are just that.. optional. Meaning they aren't mandatory to complete the main objective. The mod's HoverInfo will change the text color to green when you hover over a hotspot that counts toward the main objective for additional visual information.

"Social Butterfly" is a Steam achievement (aka "cheevo"), hence why it says "Achievement" infront of "Social Butterfly".

That particular cheevo mandates that the MC interacts (speaks) with ALL the available options in the free roam (think "optional tasks" here) to be awarded.

Make sense?

| Vee |

Jun 2, 2022
The dev fixed almost all the actual bugs I had been fixing via the mod for the last few updates, so those are done.

The biggest issue was the way the VN had been built for the original Ep4 which didn't use the original VN's core files resulting in save file point markers being reset (making old saves not load proper). This is resolved for the most part, although there's bound to be a few outliers.

Regarding Ep4's content only, the difference between this "Steam" version and the original non-Steam version is that the VN's core file for Ep4's content script is different... meaning those save point markers aren't the same. So, if one used my personal Ep4 mod update previously, made a save during the Ep4 content (content after Ep3), updates to the latest version of the VN, loads that save, then there's a good chance of rollback at a minimum. This is why I made the post here.

So, is the VN 100% sorted? No, it now never can be at this point. We have to deal with what we have in front of us. The past is behind us.
Wouldn't it be wise of Dev to solve them now, so later down the line more issue not arise as it may cause more complications? And VN is already 5 gigs and I think he may have to do a new "season" to split the game in future.

Anyway, I already lost my save files so, will play from start.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP:giggle:!

Sennistrasz

Oct 6, 2020
Optional tasks are just that.. optional. Meaning they aren't mandatory to complete the main objective. The mod's HoverInfo will change the text color to green when you hover over a hotspot that counts toward the main objective for additional visual information.

"Social Butterfly" is a Steam achievement (aka "cheevo"), hence why it says "Achievement" infront of "Social Butterfly".

That particular cheevo mandates that the MC interacts (speaks) with ALL the available options in the free roam (think "optional tasks" here) to be awarded.

Make sense?
I get it, just wasn't clear that one person has to be spoken to only after the "find clues" thing is done.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Wouldn't it be wise of Dev to solve them now, so later down the line more issue not arise as it may cause more complications?
Let's count our blessings that most all the old bugs (that I had been reporting for a very long time) have been resolved. Regarding the proper way to make a retail build of the VN, we will only know once the next update drops if the dev truly understands the process I attempted to explain.. which I think he does considering the Steam version appears to be built correctly. So, Ep5 will be the ultimate test if your question is answered, and I have no idea at this point but am optimistic that it'll be tested and sorted before it's released publicly.

| Vee |

Jun 2, 2022
Let's count our blessings that most all the old bugs (that I had been reporting for a very long time) have been resolved. Regarding the proper way to make a retail build of the VN, we will only know once the next update drops if the dev truly understands the process I attempted to explain.. which I think he does considering the Steam version appears to be built correctly. So, Ep5 will be the ultimate test if your question is answered, and I have no idea at this point but am optimistic that it'll be tested and sorted before it's released publicly.
Amen!

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I get it, just wasn't clear that one person has to be spoken to only after the "find clues" thing is done.
There are a few characters that give "clues" as to the goal. Some are correct, some aren't. It's kind of a devious freeroam tbh, or maybe mischievous is a better word. I tried to offer a guide that still allows for some surprises as originally intended by the VN. It's always a tough balance writing guides for these VN's on the amount of handholding to offer versus allowing the story/circumstance to have the effect the dev intended. If I give too much info then any VN will always feel much "flatter" than it would otherwise.

That's what makes proper guides a bitch to write. One either has to go 100% all in and spoil every bit of the story or offer enough guidance for when a Player might be stuck to get them through the situation and still experience the dev's product as originally intended.

I know that all sounds wonky and a bit dramatic but I've always felt this way regarding my guides (I don't use guides myself, I only place them there for my public offerings). I'm personally more of a stat driven type of game player preferring to not know any linearity in a game, I want that to be found via discovery.

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
It's always a tough balance writing guides for these VN's on the amount of handholding to offer versus allowing the story/circumstance to have the effect the dev intended. If I give too much info then any VN will always feel much "flatter" than it would otherwise.
I have to disagree. When I use a mod, it's because I don't want surprises. I want my hand held throughout. This is one of those games when I want the full-on handheld experience.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I have to disagree. When I use a mod, it's because I don't want surprises. I want my hand held throughout. This is one of those games when I want the full-on handheld experience.
I get it, truly... but it's always a personal preference, agreed? So, I'm attempting to satisfy the majority as a whole. No matter what I do at this point of the mod's Core structure being so crazy with the amount of options/features I'm bound to have a few of them that rub someone a bit the wrong direction. For example, Havik79 is still a bit aggro'd I haven't resolved the dialogue text size reset upon save loading, but there's reasons I'm doing that which are due to an ongoing RenPy bug.

I attempt to soften this guide's more stat driven style with "SanchoNotes" which have become a bit of a staple at this point, either for more detailed information or me cracking a periodic joke (I have to refrain myself constantly as I don't want the mod getting in the way of the VN but sometimes can't help myself from wisecracking periodically). It's my one catch-all that allows me to shake the Player that something is up, make a possible save point here, and venture forward as you personally think best for your individual desire(s). It's still a bitch to write them though... I have to consider every single different style of playthough and individual wants/needs.

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
I get it, truly... but it's always a personal preference, agreed? So, I'm attempting to satisfy the majority as a whole. No matter what I do at this point of the mod's Core structure being so crazy with the amount of options/features I'm bound to have a few of them that rub someone a bit the wrong direction. For example, Havik79 is still a bit aggro'd I haven't resolved the dialogue text size reset upon save loading, but there's reasons I'm doing that which are due to an ongoing RenPy bug.

I attempt to soften this guide's more stat driven style with "SanchoNotes" which have become a bit of a staple at this point, either for more detailed information or me cracking a periodic joke (I have to refrain myself constantly as I don't want the mod getting in the way of the VN but sometimes can't help myself from wisecracking periodically). It's my one catch-all that allows me to shake the Player that something is up, make a possible save point here, and venture forward as you personally think best for your individual desire(s). It's still a bitch to write them though... I have to consider every single different style of playthough and individual wants/needs.
I understand that. But forgive me, bro, sometimes it feels like the old LoF mod switch up. Not sayin that's the issue with your mods as I know you can actually give two shits about what some of these devs want.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I understand that. But forgive me, bro, sometimes it feels like the old LoF mod switch up. Not sayin that's the issue with your mods as I know you can actually give two shits about what some of these devs want.
I hear ya bud, truly.

Regarding TGD I still have to hold back though since I have zero insight as to how any bits of the story will or won't unfold. I don't know if pissing of Mr. Grey will have consequence, I don't know if fucking Anna all the time will block the Player from another potential LI, I don't know if not being a true "bro" with Ethan (and contacting LI's instead) will have ramifications, etc. So, there's no doubt the ChoiceGuide will have to be tweaked in the future... and likely a proper cheat or two put in place for folks who don't want to replay the VN due to a previous choice made that blows up in their face.

Some devs give me hints of what to look forward to, most don't. So, take that with a massive grain of salt that until a VN is complete or near completion there's only so much I can really do to give full or 100% correct insight in a guide. Obviously this is all common sense but thought I'd write it out for others that might be wondering why some of these VN guides are more sparse than others, and that should be considered regardless of how I actually write the guides (if I have all the information required).

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
I hear ya bud, truly.

Regarding TGD I still have to hold back though since I have zero insight as to how any bits of the story will or won't unfold. I don't know if pissing of Mr. Grey will have consequence, I don't know if fucking Anna all the time will block the Player from another potential LI, I don't know if not being a true "bro" with Ethan (and contacting LI's instead) will have ramifications, etc. So, there's no doubt the ChoiceGuide will have to be tweaked in the future... and likely a proper cheat or two put in place for folks who don't want to replay the VN due to a previous choice made that blows up in their face.

Some devs give me hints of what to look forward to, most don't. So, take that with a massive grain of salt that until a VN is complete or near completion there's only so much I can really do to give full or 100% correct insight in a guide. Obviously this is all common sense but thought I'd write it out for others that might be wondering why some of these VN guides are more sparse than others, and that should be considered regardless of how I actually write the guides (if I have all the information required).
A true 'bro' to Ethan? I haven't played much of this, but you know how I feel about 'bros' in a game. They can go fuck themselves. Hoes before Bros. :devilish:

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes