TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I already was aware of this. I understand that the amount of content cannot be regular since sometimes it takes longer because shit happens. The question is that I think it is better to keep frequency of updates regular making them smaller sometimes. I just wanted to know why AltosandHerdone think otherwise.
Many of us prefer to wait for the larger content, and don't really like to experience a section that cuts out in the middle. We want the devs to be satisfied with the update, make sure it is bug free (mostly), and feels complete.

You could have something that takes 2-3 months to do and gives you some satisfying play time, or you can get one that updates frequently with short and unsatisfying updates that are over before you have time to even remember what you did last time. There are, of course, exceptions to the rule, but not everyone can do that. We do not all have the same skills, equipment, free time, and help.

Personally, I don't want an update I can play in less than an hour. There are a lot of games that update every 3-6 months, and I am typically far more satisfied with the update. I can't say I have ever gotten one of those updates and thought, 'this is too short for the time it took', or 'I don't know why they even bothered to put this out'. Where as some I have seen were so short they did not seem worth the time. It takes longer to put aside time to play them, than the actual play time. Some people might like that, but I am not one of them (in part due to not having a lot of free time).

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
I already was aware of this. I understand that the amount of content cannot be regular since sometimes it takes longer because shit happens. The question is that I think it is better to keep frequency of updates regular making them smaller sometimes. I just wanted to know why AltosandHerdone think otherwise.
Thing is, you cannot just stop when the scheduled time is there and release what you've got. You would need to re-plan and reschedule what can be left out, what content you already put into the game needs to stay out for now, so creating an artificial barrier, which later has to be taken out again, and what definitely still needs to be done for the next release. Because while you're programming and rendering, the game just normally isn't ready to be played. Again, more time would be lost by going by time schedule than going by a content driven schedule.

Some projects can have a regular schedule no matter what (and less results if things happen). I can give you all the sweaters I knitted on next friday, even if they're just 27 instead of the expected 30. Software development however doesn't work that way. Neither does writing a VN, unless you allow for a break in the middle of a train of thought with the last three lines already having no renders but instead error messages.

Hakhak

Apr 3, 2020
Thing is, you cannot just stop when the scheduled time is there and release what you've got. You would need to re-plan and reschedule what can be left out, what content you already put into the game needs to stay out for now, so creating an artificial barrier, which later has to be taken out again, and what definitely still needs to be done for the next release. Because while you're programming and rendering, the game just normally isn't ready to be played. Again, more time would be lost by going by time schedule than going by a content driven schedule.

Some projects can have a regular schedule no matter what (and less results if things happen). I can give you all the sweaters I knitted on next friday, even if they're just 27 instead of the expected 30. Software development however doesn't work that way. Neither does writing a VN, unless you allow for a break in the middle of a train of thought with the last three lines already having no renders but instead error messages.
Many of us prefer to wait for the larger content, and don't really like to experience a section that cuts out in the middle. We want the devs to be satisfied with the update, make sure it is bug free (mostly), and feels complete.

You could have something that takes 2-3 months to do and gives you some satisfying play time, or you can get one that updates frequently with short and unsatisfying updates that are over before you have time to even remember what you did last time. There are, of course, exceptions to the rule, but not everyone can do that. We do not all have the same skills, equipment, free time, and help.

Personally, I don't want an update I can play in less than an hour. There are a lot of games that update every 3-6 months, and I am typically far more satisfied with the update. I can't say I have ever gotten one of those updates and thought, 'this is too short for the time it took', or 'I don't know why they even bothered to put this out'. Where as some I have seen were so short they did not seem worth the time. It takes longer to put aside time to play them, than the actual play time. Some people might like that, but I am not one of them (in part due to not having a lot of free time).
Since mods see this conversation as off-topic, I opened this thread https://f95zone.to/threads/many-and-small-updates-vs-few-and-big-updates.64912/

yuserneim

Mar 16, 2019
Personally, I don't want an update I can play in less than an hour.
Everytime a new update drops I disappear from here for 3 or 4 days (or whatever time it takes) and I start the game over. That gives me the chance to enjoy the game all over again and it also give me time to savor the little things I may have missed before, while discovering the new things implemented. That makes my experience much more sweeter. I take my time to let me be surprised by the game. When I'm done with all the new stuff the new update is more or less 3 weeks away.

This will problably be the ninth time I start the HM. I enjoy it every time.

room217

Mar 9, 2020
I love this game so much, I'm on my first play through. Just went through the Lab Assistant interviews and OMG that was LOL!

The creators here are really talented. Wonderful writing and brought to life with the renders + game play just perfect.

So far, I've only been a Patreon of creators of Illusion mods/assets but I'm going to start backing this one.
PLEASE keep it up!

room217

Mar 9, 2020
My only gripe is I don't remember getting an explanation for this:
Untitled-1-sm.jpg
I had alot of fun with the walking icon... once clicked on it. A tool tip would be good here.

Last edited:

room217

Mar 9, 2020
True but compared to other games it's pretty self explanatory just by looking at them. Top is teach a class, 2nd is sports, 3rd is walk/patrol, last is paperwork.
OK thanks, BUT it might be standard for past games BUT for a newbie it could be easily solved with a bit more explanation... makes me wonder how many 'newbies' are joining us.. might be alot

ramiurga

Feb 9, 2020
OK thanks, BUT it might be standard for past games BUT for a newbie it could be easily solved with a bit more explanation... makes me wonder how many 'newbies' are joining us.. might be alot
Or newbies can just press the buttons and see what happens, you won't be dissapointed, nothing will crash. And after a few times, repeating that step, you will get it.

Antwit

Dec 20, 2018
My only gripe is I don't remember getting an explanation for this:
View attachment 872461
I had alot of fun with the walking icon... once clicked on it. A tool tip would be good here.
A really minimal small critic (or better a wish) : Sometimes I would like a function in this panel to push it to above or right border out of sight if some part of the graphic is hidden from this panel.
But its really a not so elementary important wish:giggle: and I am satisfied with the actual one.

Last edited:

Banish

Mar 29, 2019

I'd agree with that 100% but lately all the games i am playing are "in process" (and i play a tons). At those moment i slightly wish some of them were making short updates..

AltosandHerdone

Game Developer
Jan 5, 2019
Very excited for the update, guys (or lady and gent?) Just a question about it tho: will there be any continuation of Debbie's Prefect storyline, as well as Amy's & Rachel's stories, or will it just be focusing on new girls?
Debbie, Amy and Rachel's storylines all get a mention in the intro but those stories are on the back burner this update while I set up some new girls to get sent to your office and generally overhaul the game to a higher standard. I had hoped to fit in scenes for those three but didn't really have the time. Perhaps I'll do a scene between the the beta and main release, otherwise they'll definitely get something in another quick update I'm hoping to have finished around Christmas.

AIF Games 99

Apr 23, 2017
To both Altos and Herdone, Thank you both for the amazing game.
I have been a Patreon on and off a couple times. I have usually contributed when the newest version is coming out, although not everytime.

I feel your game is original, (not a guy who moves in with his two sisters and mom after.. (a time away, a car accident, losing touch, moved to a new town etc) When taking the premise of the 'experiment' of a new school, it seems very plausible.
Wonderful work.
If there is ever anything I can do to help, please let me know.

sherlock123k

Apr 8, 2020
Hey sorry if this is a weird question, but if we download a new version of the game, does it start from where we left it off(where we get all of the saves that we made in the previous version), or do we have to play through all of it again?

The game is amazing, but I don't like to use cheats/walkthroughs or anything so it takes a long time for me to get through a single game.

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
Hey sorry if this is a weird question, but if we download a new version of the game, does it start from where we left it off(where we get all of the saves that we made in the previous version), or do we have to play through all of it again?

The game is amazing, but I don't like to use cheats/walkthroughs or anything so it takes a long time for me to get through a single game.
Yeah, even if you delete the game folder, well on pc it does, not sure about others, but pc has saves in the game folder, and then in appdata/roaming/renpy.

MrCream

Nov 9, 2019
I got nothing to say, other than I can't wait for the next update for this great piece of art! Thanks immensely to the devs who have helped me get through this virus bullshit, and literally kept my pecker up!

KylarStern

Apr 21, 2018
The only minor comment I have is to consider moving the arrow in the squirt gun sequence - I always have the stats bar displayed and it covers enough of the arrow it took me forever to see it; at first I thought the game had glitched and didn't see a way to progress it. Other than that a really fun and well done game.

Reactions: T_Abraxas
4.50 star(s) 249 Votes