VN Ren'Py Abandoned The Intoxicating Flavor [v0.10.6] [PixelsLab]

4.00 star(s) 151 Votes
Oct 22, 2017
There are.
And in a lot of them, it hurts to read the text.
For a slide show, ok, but for a story-heavy mystery plot ...
Arguing there are worse products isn't really great advertising for this game.

PixelsLab had problems with his translator(s) in the beginning and the English gets so much better later.
For a better first impression, it would most likely be beneficial to get the English to the level we currently have.
There were already multiple people in this thread that had a problem with the combination of the evolving story and English in the first chapters.
And for there is already a rework being done, that seems like a good time to adjust that too - if possible.

Ultimately, this was just an idea to maybe combine those two in case PixelsLab had something like a language overhaul planned at some point, no must-have.

Reactions: vmaks

D9074

Feb 21, 2021
I like new content as much as the next guy, but I'd like to see developers I like to get more patrons and be more successful too.
For that first impressions are important.
When a game is finished, its overall state is important.
For the occasional replay, I also like a game's beginning being on par with its ending quality-wise.

So - redoing your game every few months isn't good, then I'd prefer to stick with one level of quality and apply changes in the next game.
While I wouldn't have said this game needed a rework when I saw the old and new images in comparison though, the new ones look so much better. And we already have the evolving quality throughout the game.
Therefore I think you should do this rework like you planned and release it in as few blocks as possible to reduce necessary restarts.

I'd also say, you should keep the table-tennis scene even if you chose to remove the game which I didn't mind back then.

As for when to work on and release the rework - I'd vote for not doing it alongside with story continuation but either now or at the end. Especially for you mention to have the first chapter almost done, I'd say just keep working on the rework until it's done.
If this is a possibility for you, I'd say to try to get the English translation optimized now too and give that part a rework too.
100% agree with you need a good first impression, i cant remember at all how good or bad the renders was at the start compared to later on, when i played it i was so invested in the story that i probably looked past it. Id love to know peoples or pixels opinions on where the quality picked up to where he or they want it because im really not sure.

ocean is a good example as his WIAB game was very different but the story even then made me look past the lower quality and then he reworked his first chapter and the quality difference is amazing. Also even though its good in the long run people do bitch when a game gets a complete rework especially if its deep in. Im not one of them but it happens.

end of the day it all depends on what the devs goals are, are they someone that always wants their best work out there from the start, and when a chapter or 2 is reworked will it make the chapters after that go down in quality? because if it does then it all needs to be done which can take even more time. some people will support that but also some will get mad and stop supporting.

Reactions: GingerbreadMan
Oct 22, 2017
100% agree with you need a good first impression, i cant remember at all how good or bad the renders was at the start compared to later on, when i played it i was so invested in the story that i probably looked past it. Id love to know peoples or pixels opinions on where the quality picked up to where he or they want it because im really not sure.

ocean is a good example as his WIAB game was very different but the story even then made me look past the lower quality and then he reworked his first chapter and the quality difference is amazing. Also even though its good in the long run people do bitch when a game gets a complete rework especially if its deep in. Im not one of them but it happens.

end of the day it all depends on what the devs goals are, are they someone that always wants their best work out there from the start, and when a chapter or 2 is reworked will it make the chapters after that go down in quality? because if it does then it all needs to be done which can take even more time. some people will support that but also some will get mad and stop supporting.
Pixelslab posted his Pateron update regarding the rework here some time ago:
He didn't just replace the models with new ones but changed the images themselves a bit too.
While I liked the initial images, seeing them side by side, the difference is astounding.

View attachment 1715448

Please follow the link to Patreon and rate the new renderers, I am interested in your opinion.

Hello!

Since I'm currently on hiatus, I've decided to do what I've wanted to do for a very long time, which is to redo the first two chapters. I know a lot of people don't like it when developers redo things, but I've always been pissed off at how poor the quality of the first two chapters is. This also applies to pictures, and presentation of the plot, and text, and translation. Many new players are put off by the way the game looks at the beginning.

I don't just redo every image, I expand all the scenes so that the plot is a little less confusing at the beginning (there were a lot of complaints). But I don't change the plot itself.

There is also a plan to redo all the sex scenes in places where there is no animation, but I'm not sure about this yet, it's a very time-consuming process. In addition, new video cards will not be imported to our country anymore, I think. But I'll see what I can do.

In the images, I added frames from the new and old versions for comparison. First there are frames from the new version, then from the old one. I'm very interested in your opinion.

This Thursday I'm leaving for a week with relatives, so I won't be online at that time. Do not lose me.

Thanks for the support. Take care of yourself.

Reactions: D9074

D9074

Feb 21, 2021
Pixelslab posted his Pateron update regarding the rework here some time ago:
He didn't just replace the models with new ones but changed the images themselves a bit too.
While I liked the initial images, seeing them side by side, the difference is astounding.
yeah that is a big difference, idk how i never noticed it when playing that they looked so different early on. i definitely dont blame him for wanting to rework the first couple

Wutzel

Aug 6, 2017
First time playing it from version 0.8.4 I hope the game is ok, but the start is not very tempting right for me and hope it get better. after this meeting with that mother Maria where I dont know realy where I put her in, on the other hand this bitchy daughter from her Katie is on a other level. And have the urge to slapp her maners in her brain...
And after that introduction why the hell is that MC such a pussy and whimper like dickless looser and even carry that stuff, he is not their slave and never dont say anything about it, unbelievable!

After that not good story start, I really hope it got much better then this damn start with that bitchy familie! Hope allways dies at least, i hope^^.
At least I hope the younger daghter Alice is nicer as the other too things.

Reactions: vmaks

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
After that not good story start, I really hope it got much better then this damn start with that bitchy familie! Hope allways dies at least, i hope^^.
At least I hope the younger daghter Alice is nicer as the other too things.
game gets better later.

Glooskabe

Jan 4, 2020
Forced loli, tf! im out.
Are you talking about Alice? :unsure:

I can see why you might make a loli association, but you're overreacting a tad. First, there isn't any sexual content with her. She flirts with MC shamelessly, but they haven't DONE anything yet. Second, she's very much "of-age". (She's actually the older sister!) Her appearance is for story and lore reasons. For those same reasons, it is entirely possible that her appearance could change at some point later in the story. (I have no idea if PL has plans along that line, but if you've been reading the lore dumps, you should know what I'm talking about.)

vmaks

Sep 13, 2018
Are you talking about Alice? :unsure:

I can see why you might make a loli association, but you're overreacting a tad. First, there isn't any sexual content with her. She flirts with MC shamelessly, but they haven't DONE anything yet. Second, she's very much "of-age". (She's actually the older sister!) Her appearance is for story and lore reasons. For those same reasons, it is entirely possible that her appearance could change at some point later in the story. (I have no idea if PL has plans along that line, but if you've been reading the lore dumps, you should know what I'm talking about.)
no, she is the younger sister, but she is already an adult according to the lore of the game (comment from the developer) such as she can look as they please and she is just comfortable in this appearance and, if desired, she can change it just like we change clothes

Glooskabe

Jan 4, 2020
no, she is the younger sister, but she is already an adult according to the lore of the game (comment from the developer) such as she can look as they please and she is just comfortable in this appearance and, if desired, she can change it just like we change clothes
Yup, you're right. Katie's a year older than Alice. I misremembered a conversation between Katie and MC.

Reactions: PixelsLab

PixelsLab

Game Developer
Mar 17, 2018
0084_02.jpg

The editor has finished checking the update. Today will be Beta for $20 patrons. If everything goes well, then the schedule is as follows: 08.07 for $10 patrons, 10.07 for $5 patrons, 12.07 for $1. Sorry for the wait, although the update is not big, it is quite difficult for me. I hope you will like it.

Thanks for support!

4.00 star(s) 151 Votes