BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
Finished the update with Mallory as LI and having Ellie's path active.

The MC can have sex with Rose (or not, if you choose) and you can cut Rose and Ellie's relationship practically at the beginning of the update. I'm not particularly interested in Rose, the relationship with the MC is sexual focused or at least it seems to me, rather than romantic and it doesn't seem that starting that "relationship" with the MC is going to change her general attitude towards sex. I preferred that the MC not have sex with Rose.

Overall the update is fine (but if you focus on Ellie and ignore Rose there isn't too much in terms of sex scenes, I think just one of Lucy with the futa antagonist, which of course I didn't see). In any case, I like how the relationship with the sister is developing, slowly but steadily.

Nor I'm particularly excited that in the next chapter we have a sex scene between Lucy and the MC. Or at least it doesn't seem like we're going to be able to avoid it (plot rules). I don't think Lucy can be a LI to my liking (too fond of sleeping with others), nor I'm interested in Rose (equal or greater fondness for sex with others).

Osamabeenfappin

Nov 24, 2019
Finished the update with Mallory as LI and having Ellie's path active.

The MC can have sex with Rose (or not, if you choose) and you can cut Rose and Ellie's relationship practically at the beginning of the update. I'm not particularly interested in Rose, the relationship with the MC is sexual focused or at least it seems to me, rather than romantic and it doesn't seem that starting that "relationship" with the MC is going to change her general attitude towards sex. I preferred that the MC not have sex with Rose.

Overall the update is fine (but if you focus on Ellie and ignore Rose there isn't too much in terms of sex scenes, I think just one of Lucy with the futa antagonist, which of course I didn't see). In any case, I like how the relationship with the sister is developing, slowly but steadily.

Nor I'm particularly excited that in the next chapter we have a sex scene between Lucy and the MC. Or at least it doesn't seem like we're going to be able to avoid it (plot rules). I don't think Lucy can be a LI to my liking (too fond of sleeping with others), nor I'm interested in Rose (equal or greater fondness for sex with others).

Actually I kind of liked Rose. Not as a LI,but as a no strings attached,fuck you Lucy,fuck buddy. Plus I found her oddly endearing personality wise. No Jane Bond bullshit from her.

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
Actually I kind of liked Rose. Not as a LI,but as a no strings attached,fuck you Lucy,fuck buddy. Plus I found her oddly endearing personality wise. No Jane Bond bullshit from her.
Her personality is fine, she's cheerful, pleasant (and the sex scenes have the advantage of annoying Lucy, which is partly why I have thought about doing them). But I suppose that everyone is interested in different things, and to me, since the game doesn't seem to intend to be a harem, and that it's clear that the only LIs are going to be Ellie, Mallory and Lucy, I'm not much in favor of the MC be with other girls (in my case, with Lucy completely ruled out, it would be Mallory and Ellie the only ones I'm interested in the MC having sex scenes with). I guess I'm weird, but they are my quirks and I like them.

Osamabeenfappin

Nov 24, 2019
Her personality is fine, she's cheerful, pleasant (and the sex scenes have the advantage of annoying Lucy, which is partly why I have thought about doing them). But I suppose that everyone is interested in different things, and to me, since the game doesn't seem to intend to be a harem, and that it's clear that the only LIs are going to be Ellie, Mallory and Lucy, I'm not much in favor of the MC be with other girls (in my case, with Lucy completely ruled out, it would be Mallory and Ellie the only ones I'm interested in the MC having sex scenes with). I guess I'm weird, but they are my quirks and I like them.

What about Jessie?

Hermit76

Apr 15, 2018
Several variables seem not to be initialized if you do not take the path that the dev expected. That makes the game leave out several scenes. And that might result in even more errors. I really hope that will be fixed in later versions.

EDIT: Seems to be a problem with the saving mechanism. The variables of this update seem not to be saved. When playing fluently and not loading a save from this part in order to make a different decision, all is fine. But it you continue with a save made in this update, several variables are suddenly missing. Quite a big bug, I would say.

Last edited:

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
Several variables seem not to be initialized if you do not take the path that the dev expected. That makes the game leave out several scenes. And that might result in even more errors. I really hope that will be fixed in later versions.
I haven't had any errors.

For the rest, in principle there are two main LI paths: Lucy or Mallory, two secondary but important: Ellie (if you have the incest patch) or "travel sex" (I think this is it). There are other side paths (Rose with the MC, Rose with Ellie, and I guess Jessie if you have the incest patch) that you can also turn on or off independently of the others. Of course, each path has its own independent scenes (apart from the "obligatory" ones in the main story, which for now are 3 from Lucy, one from Rose and one from the MC, although Lucy's and Rose's you can avoid seeing them)

To give an example: you can choose Mallory as LI, put aside the relationship with Ellie and start (or not, as far as I know you can also decide to ignore this) travel sex, start a relationship (exclusively sexual) with Rose and let Ellie and Rose continue their relationship (for now I think that would be all possible options). If, for example, you decide that you don't want the MC to have an (exclusively) sexual relationship with Rose, you won't get all of Rose's scenes with the MC (which I think are 2 this update)

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017

EDIT: Seems to be a problem with the saving mechanism. The variables of this update seem not to be saved. When playing fluently and not loading a save from this part in order to make a different decision, all is fine. But it you continue with a save made in this update, several variables are suddenly missing. Quite a big bug, I would say.
You seem to have nailed it. This is exactly what is happening.

I was trying to figure out why I keep losing variables introduced by this new update and only being able to keep them by loading an old save file.

It seems these new variables are getting initialized correctly (defined by variables.rpy) when you start the game executable (drop to console after starting the game executable and before loading any saves, test a variable like fsex for example - you will get a 0)
and the game will remember them after loading a save file created by the previous version of the game, exactly the way it's supposed to be happening (load an old save, drop to console and test fsex again - you will get a 0)

However, the game will drop (delete) all the new variables when you load a save file created by the new version of the game, where that default value hasn't been changed before saving
Example1: Load a new save file and test variable fsex - and you will get an error;
Example2: Close the game, start it again, test for fsex and it's 0, load a new save and you get an error);
Example3: Load and old save again and test for fsex - and you get 0; Save it into a new slot right away, then load the save you just created and test for fsex - and you get an error again.

At this point I'm not sure WTF is happening and is it because of a bug in the game scripts somewhere or Ren'Py itself.

It seems to be a Ren'Py bug.

This is not supposed to be working like this, but by replacing default statement with define the game is working again.
I simply replaced all default statements in the variables.rpy file with the define statement and this is what you get from the attached bugfix patch.

The default statement is supposed to initialize a variable at init level by giving it a default value that can later be changed.
The define statement is supposed to initialize a constant, a variable that won't change later on.

However, by using default the way it's supposed to be working, this bug occurs and it seems that strange things around the default statement have been happening in other games, too.

Just by using define instead, everything works. The variable initialized by the define statement can be changed, saved and loaded just as any other variables and there seem to be no negative consequences.

How to apply attached bugfix:
Just extract the zip file into the main folder (the root folder) of the game, right where the game launcher file is and restart the game.
(This is the incest patch version of the variables.rpy file)

Last edited:

MythMackay

Feb 29, 2020
This seems to be the issue that I'm experiencing as well. I loaded a new save I had made for the second night Rose slept with Ellie, and I get an error when it is transitioning into the morning scene with MC and Ellie:

While running game code:
File "game/script.rpy", line 14580, in script
if malstay == 0:
File "game/script.rpy", line 14580, in <module>
if malstay == 0:
NameError: name 'malstay' is not defined

If I load an old save and just ctrl-skip up to that morning scene, making all the same choices, I don't get an error. Something's definitely not right here.

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
This seems to be the issue that I'm experiencing as well. I loaded a new save I had made for the second night Rose slept with Ellie, and I get an error when it is transitioning into the morning scene with MC and Ellie:

While running game code:
File "game/script.rpy", line 14580, in script
if malstay == 0:
File "game/script.rpy", line 14580, in <module>
if malstay == 0:
NameError: name 'malstay' is not defined

If I load an old save and just ctrl-skip up to that morning scene, making all the same choices, I don't get an error. Something's definitely not right here.

Bash:
$ grep -iEnr --include=*.rpy "malstay"
variables.rpy:49:define malstay = 0
malstay variable is also initialized in the variables.rpy file and my modified file should help.
Could you give it a try and report back?

MythMackay

Feb 29, 2020
Bash:
$ grep -iEnr --include=*.rpy "malstay"
variables.rpy:49:define malstay = 0
malstay variable is also initialized in the variables.rpy file and my modified file should help.
Could you give it a try and report back?
I think your file did the trick. I tried the 0.3 save where I first got the error, and several subsequent saves, and haven't got the error once. Thank you for looking into this and for the fix. Much appreciated!

Reactions: Penfold Mole

Hermit76

Apr 15, 2018
You seem to have nailed it. This is exactly what is happening.

I was trying to figure out why I keep losing variables introduced by this new update and only being able to keep them by loading an old save file.

It seems these new variables are getting initialized correctly (defined by variables.rpy) when you start the game executable (drop to console after starting the game executable and before loading any saves, test a variable like fsex for example - you will get a 0)
and the game will remember them after loading a save file created by the previous version of the game, exactly the way it's supposed to be happening (load an old save, drop to console and test fsex again - you will get a 0)

However, the game will drop (delete) all the new variables when you load a save file created by the new version of the game, where that default value hasn't been changed before saving
Example1: Load a new save file and test variable fsex - and you will get an error;
Example2: Close the game, start it again, test for fsex and it's 0, load a new save and you get an error);
Example3: Load and old save again and test for fsex - and you get 0; Save it into a new slot right away, then load the save you just created and test for fsex - and you get an error again.

At this point I'm not sure WTF is happening and is it because of a bug in the game scripts somewhere or Ren'Py itself.

It seems to be a Ren'Py bug.

This is not supposed to be working like this, but by replacing default statement with define the game is working again.
I simply replaced all default statements in the variables.rpy file with the define statement and this is what you get from the attached bugfix patch.

The default statement is supposed to initialize a variable at init level by giving it a default value that can later be changed.
The define statement is supposed to initialize a constant, a variable that won't change later on.

However, by using default the way it's supposed to be working, this bug occurs and it seems that strange things around the default statement have been happening in other games, too.

Just by using define instead, everything works. The variable initialized by the define statement can be changed, saved and loaded just as any other variables and there seem to be no negative consequences.

How to apply attached bugfix:
Just extract the zip file into the main folder (the root folder) of the game, right where the game launcher file is and restart the game.
(This is the incest patch version of the variables.rpy file)
A constant that can be changed? Ren'Py is weird...o_O

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
A constant that can be changed? Ren'Py is weird...o_O
Well, what it does isn't always what it's supposed to do. It's a software being actively developed, so any kind of shit can happen.

I'm not sure if that bug has been dealt with by now in the v7.4.10, but what this v6.99.12.4 does to the variables defined by define and default statements seems to be the opposite of what Ren'Py documentation says about them:

Variables defined by define statement are supposed to be not changed later, since they are not supposed to be saved nor loaded by Ren'Py and variables that are going to be changed, defined by default statement are supposed to be saved and loaded. Constants are supposed to be getting their values at init time and not be influenced by loaded save files later.

However, as we can see here, the exact opposite is happening, even worse. Constants are being saved and loaded (and thanks to that my "hack" type of bugfix is working) while variables are not being saved nor loaded and even worse, they are being actively deleted while loading newer save files: they exist at the time the game is getting initialized (after starting the executable), but a variable doesn't exist after loading a save file that has been created after adding a default statement to the game code that defines this variable some time after a new game has been started. Original variables that existed at the time when the game jumped to the label start are being treated normally, variables added later are being deleted.

I tested it by adding a random variable via define statement to the code and the exact same thing is happening. All saves created before I added that variable are working fine, the new variable exists after loading any of them. Any save file created after adding that variable deletes it.

It smells like somewhere the actions for the variables and constants at the game save file loading time and saving time, have been mixed up with each other.

I tested that bug now in a game that uses Ren'Py v7.3.5.606 and it seems to be working just fine. I added a new variable to the code using default statement, loaded an old save file, saved the game and loaded a new save file. At any of these steps the new variable exists and is not being deleted.
It means that the bug that exists here has been fixed in some newer version of Ren'Py, likely before the release of v7.3.5 that I tested. Which version exactly, I don't know at this time. I guess it should be mentioned somewhere in the changelog after v6.99.12.4.

There is something about the default statement , but our bug has nothing to do with rollback. And I'm unable to find anything else.

It means that the game should either be upgraded to the latest v7.x Ren'Py or in case Ptypoe wants to avoid it because of the limitations of the v7.x series on older graphics cards, at least to that is the last of the v6.x series.

Last edited:

JhomBraun

Donor
Jan 19, 2018
lewdpatcher.com is down...but i found this

It is from another site, if I am violating the rules of the forum please the moderators to delete and accept my apology…
Thanks a lot for that link!

3.10 star(s) 37 Votes