VN Others Completed The Little Black Bestiary: A Dragon's Treasure [Ep1 v1.0] [CyberScherzo Studios]

5.00 star(s) 5 Votes

Ghede

Jul 2, 2018
That was as refreshing and fun as it was tantalizing! Bravo! Nerd-gasm!

CyberScherzo

Game Developer
Feb 23, 2018
[QUOTE="yoyomistro, post: 881417, member: 8691"maybe you should provide links to their tumblrs or other places where people can find their art?[/QUOTE]

And I just realized that I accidentally patron-locked that bit of info. I'd posted links to all three when I posted the three designs as a 'sneak peek' for patrons last week and forgot to include it when re-posting the vote. I'll add that, but these are tumblrs for all three:

FYI, Just becasue an artist does the initial design, does not necessarily mean they're going to be the lead artist on the actual episode, Biggest factor is time-frame and availability.

Edit: Oh right, the thing I actually forgot: I did that on purpose because Patreon Rules do not allow you to make a direct link to a NFSW page from Patreon. That, and having public NSFW pictures posted where why all these pages got suspension notices the last couple weeks.

yoyomistro

Engaged Member
Jan 15, 2017
And I just realized that I accidentally patron-locked that bit of info. I'd posted links to all three when I posted the three designs as a 'sneak peek' for patrons last week and forgot to include it when re-posting the vote. I'll add that, but these are tumblrs for all three:

FYI, Just becasue an artist does the initial design, does not necessarily mean they're going to be the lead artist on the actual episode, Biggest factor is time-frame and availability.

Edit: Oh right, the thing I actually forgot: I did that on purpose because Patreon Rules do not allow you to make a direct link to a NFSW page from Patreon. That, and having public NSFW pictures posted where why all these pages got suspension notices the last couple weeks.
Awesome thanks. Was gonna make a note about that, that the rule changes recently might have affected things. Thanks for providing the links here, though.

Reactions: pgXIII

nunchak06

Oct 22, 2017
Amazing game dude, Hope that you will add more content and stuff. keep up that good work

sacb0y

Hentai Game Artist
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
Thanks for the screencap, looks great. Eye contact and emotion are there, boobs have a nice natural hang, good detail on the nipples, the perspective is well handled for the POV shot, the clitoris is well done. All little things that are really easy for an artist to fuck up and that can ruin immersion for something with a great premise like this. Whoever you're commissioning did a great job on that pic, try to hold onto them =P. I'll give this a shot when I have some time, thanks for accommodating my request. I know it can feel crappy to share stuff you want to be revealed in story elements but the hardcore is why people are here and not on an ecchi forum, so sharing a bit of it upfront is good for setting expectations.
Hehehe, third game I work on that's on this site :rolleyes:. Not the last either.

Glad you guys like the art!

CyberScherzo

Game Developer
Feb 23, 2018
Just hopping in to announce that we're out of beta!

If you want it right now make sure you download it from Itch.io. I'm currently uploading to the other mirrors, but my upload speed is terrible so it'll take a while. Once I have the mirrors set I'll update the OP and title version numbers.

Once the title itself says 1.0 that means mirrors have been updated too.

No real new content from the beta; bugfixes, some updated art, plenty of typo fixes and some small editing improvements to the script (Rephrasing things, etc.) A few new QoL changes that have been suggested by players, like an in game 'help' card with the keyboard shortcuts; the ability to instantly close the game with the esc key (Which works while fullscreened too) and a few other things along those lines. Sorry, still no save/load anywhere, was harder to get working right than you'd think. I'm swapping engines entirely for future releases, so ep. 2 and onwards will have that no problem however.

Reactions: Paranoid_android

Cornfield

Donor
Oct 30, 2017
Well done, that was entertaining, with a good story and excellent artwork.
I look forward to what comes next.

CyberScherzo

Game Developer
Feb 23, 2018
Little update. I just put a poll for an extra sex scene CG on Patreon. You do have to be a patron to officially vote in this one, but I'd like to share the options/post content publicly so people know what might potentially be in store:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

But not just from Patrons, I'd like to get kind of a general opinion on what people are looking for. Is the potential for yuri/lesbian content with a female protagonist enticing? Are some of those sex acts a bit too over the line? Most of these would be optional alternates to the 'main' planned sceene FYI.

Disclaimer: I'm gonna make the final calls for most of these things based on my own judgement, I'm just soliciting feedback to consider in that decision.

A lot of the feedback on this site in particular so far has been in praise of 'vanilla monster girls,' but it'll get stale if every episode plays out exactly the same so I'm feeling out what directions I can branch out in on future episodes. The series is about dating first and foremost so it's going to stick with a happy, romantic, casual tone generally; but there is a lot of territory I can explore within that.

something879

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not a patron but I would definitely support the fairy being used as an onahole, how can you not love those bulges :happyblush ebluberry-616064-S.EXpedition_page_256.jpg ev07003g.jpg

1800 Mr. Tourture

Jun 10, 2017
Not bad... its short and cute. My only issue is there seems to be an art shift during h-scenes, its a little disenchanting when the regular art looks awesome, but the sex is kind of blurry

marco90

May 12, 2018
thanks, good to know. I really like your work and hope to see more from you. Also I find it good, that it is a belivable story (well ... apart from the dragon ... ^^) to see a normal date with monsters is nice

annam

Apr 13, 2017
The texting and dating app part of the game is super cute, I hope there's more of it in the future, maybe some flirty texting in between dates as the relationship forms and stuff. 10/10 game

Honourable596

Jun 21, 2017
I do love this little story, but I simply don't have a femdom fetish, I much prefer maledom. This is still an excellent story though. I almost never see a good dragon girl out there. Good on you developer.
This was magnificent.

Streeter

Jun 2, 2017
Checking up on this game and not seeing any updates for 8 months makes me sad.
Same. I was just thinking about this game a couple days ago, and wondering what had become of it. Disappointing to see the answer to that is apparently 'not much.'
At least the Patreon is still being updated, so maybe we'll get something eventually.

CyberScherzo

Game Developer
Feb 23, 2018
Checking up on this game and not seeing any updates for 8 months makes me sad.
Same. I was just thinking about this game a couple days ago, and wondering what had become of it. Disappointing to see the answer to that is apparently 'not much.'
At least the Patreon is still being updated, so maybe we'll get something eventually.
Yeah, me too. I wish the dev would hurry u- oh wait.
Seriously though, I'm not happy with the speed of development this year myself, though I would like to assure you that the project is alive and well. doesn't help that I tend to drop off of social media and aren't too good about making general 'life signs' updates, so let me take a moment to talk about what's been done over said past 8 months.

1. So first of all, not to make excuses but something to keep in mind with our admittedly slow pace is that this series is a side project for everyone involved and we all have either full time jobs or even other projects. (Examples: I have a day job, and Sacb0y whom did the art on Isabel's episode has like 4-5 other game projects he's on, which you can also find on these forums) I'm honestly still learning my way around managing this type of project, so I hope I can become faster and more efficient as I continue to learn the best way to go about everything.

2.Around the time I'd released this first episode I had decided that something I really wanted to do was have web-playable builds. I'd initially made this in Game Maker using a framework called VNgen. The windows version of the game works nearly flawlessly as far as I can tell. (The game itself isn't *perfect* but that's mostly on me.) When I ported it to HTML5 from game maker, it ran like shit. After poking around and failing at getting that port running properly, I'd ultimately remade the entire thing in Tyrano-Builder from the ground up. THAT took about 2 months; you'd probably think is a waste of time if you're happy with the download version, but the reception it received on Newgrounds alone proved to be worth the effort. Having a web build does a lot for getting the project a bigger audience and also making it easier to play.

3. The thing is Tyrano-builder ALSO sucks. I do not recommend it. A lot of it's features seemed nice on paper, and the fact that it's a native html5 tool is why I tried it out, but it seems to like to choke on HD res projects. I got a lot of bug reports on Newgrounds, mostly about the options failing to take (especially audio) and the occasional system that wouldn't load the game at all. Most of the stuff that was breaking are things that are built into Tyrano-builder itself, and somewhat out of my hands to fix in the first place. Also yes it was easy to use but SUPER slow to work with for entering large amounts of text. (which is pretty bad for a VN engine) So... I'm likely never using that thing again.

4. So, ruling out those tools, I'd decided I'd make the jump to Unity. Which was something I'd wanted to start using longer term anyway. (Seems like the best engine for when animation becomes an option on the table, for example) The thing is, making that switch halted my personal progress pretty hard since I was completely new to both it and coding in C#. Took a chunk of time just to get my bearings. Also had to try out different ways of implementing text dialogue, UIs, saving/loading, and such withing Unity to find what works well for what I want to do.

5. In the meantime, I hit some recruitment issues. I spent some time trying to find more artists and writers to work on this series with me, to speed things up more in the long term; but at the time it ate a lot of the time I could have otherwise spent learning Unity faster. Most of the writers I demoed were sadly not up to my standards, but I did make a couple new contacts. As for artists, I'm not going to call anyone out or name names, but I had like 4 people say they were interested, but then drop out or ghost me after the fact. I had a hell of a time getting the ball rolling on the fairy episode thanks to that, but things are moving along now.

6. Coming out of that recruitment drive, I'd hired two artists whom are currently working with me. They're working on two entirely separate episodes with two new dateable characters, one of which being the fairy and the other being a new character so you'll have both of those to look forward to. I'm going to attach art of both of those dates for you to check out as a preview.
Iara_Preview.jpg fae_Preview2.jpg
As you can see, the art styles are very different and wouldn't mix well; but that's why I'd planned from the start to build this as an episodic series instead of one big game: Not being an artist myself I knew I'd probably go through a few freelancers, so this way I can swap artstyles between episodes without it being a problem.

7. Currently, the plan is for the episode with Tainara (the Aquatic-looking girl) to be released this spring, with Amaryallis's episode (the fairy) to be released this Summer. (Bolded since that's what everyone just skimming this is probably looking to learn) The schedule shifting and push-back on the fairy episode is partially due to some feature creep on top of the earlier mentioned delays. I didn't think it was going to take a year before we started, but now that it's making progress, we've added some features and extra scenes to the original plan. We've committed to (what was originally a stretch goal) having both a male and female playable protagonist on that episode, then added some extra scenes and alternate endings to the plan. People whom felt that Isabel's episode didn't have enough choices or that they didn't matter enough should be pleased with the fairy episode. Tainara's chapter on the other hand is probably going to be a tad shorter than Isabel's to be honest, but has MUCH more lewd content, and some actual gameplay. (yeah, a minigame, hopefully an actually fun one, but I won't ram it down peoples throats if it doesn't turn out well)

8. Just for the record: I've personally made zero profits from the patreon and every bit of the money so far has been put towards art commissions, PLUS a sizeable chunk of my own money. I say that just because game creators are often accused of draging out development to milk the patreon, but I can definetly say that in my case, I'm just fucking slow. Part of the reason I haven't been posting a lot or marketing/pushing the game is my personal embarassment at the progress speed, and a lot of the art and information I DO have is spoiler-heavy which doesn't leave me with much to talk about.

9. While all this has been happening, I've been occasionally tapping artists to design more characters for later episodes of the series. I know it's kind of presumptuous to keep looking ahead like that while progress has been so slow on the current episodes, but things will go much faster moving forward If I can plan ahead more. Anyway, what that means is that I have some awesome character designs rolling out that I want to show off, so leading up to the release of the next episode, I'm going to be posing profiles for those characters on the Little Black Bestiary website. When that episode releases I'm going to have the next character poll for the 4th episode using those new character profiles as the vote options. Then I can start ordering the art for that episode while I finish working on the fairy episode over the spring/summer, and basically work on the future episodes in a rolling fashion in that way with 2 always being worked on at once which should keep the updates and content coming out much more regularly. The next character profile's actually slated to go on the site this weekend.

10. Btw there is a website now:

And THIS long-ass post is the kind of thing I should be posting to my own dev blog every few months. Note to self: Copy-paste this post into my dev blog and edit it a bit more this weekend.

Anyway sorry to keep you all waiting but I hope to make the wait worth it.

5.00 star(s) 5 Votes