Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Reactions to 0.5.7:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
One thing I would really like to see fixed is the icons of the clothing, some of them match well enough, but some of them don't seem to have anything in common with the actual paper doll clothing, in some cases not even the colour.

mio008

Mar 27, 2019
Yes, to the locked cage and plugged. In version 5.4 I did go through Baily's content that I could not access this time around because of the school content ending with no way to conintue on to get to the rest of Baily or Riley's content.

GFYS! I am not complaining about something free. I am ranting about developers coming to a pirate site complaining that nobody wants to pay for their game when they put so little effort into it and bashing people who download it for free. Even if I was wealthy, I wouldn't pay a dime for the half-assed BS that some developers put up expecting everyone to pay them a monthly fee for the privilege of playing. This particular developer was bashing people for pirating their game, earlier in this thread.

Oh noes, the developer who doesn't ask the site to take down their illegal copy dares to complain, what a freaking monster! let's lynch them!!

seriously, it's their work, they can complain however they want, you getting the game is not your "god-given right" it's a privilege, one granted to you by both the creator and a person who actually paid for the game and shared it here, a person you seem to be looking down on for the simple fact that they pay for something they enjoy.

And yes, the creators will ask people to support them, it's called advertising. they are not asking you specifically to support them, and won't care if you don't, but they will try to find a few who are sympathtic to their cause, as is their right as the game's creator. They have to get their paying customers somewhere. And yes, some will be more annoying about it than others, but again, it is not directed at you personally, just potential customers in general.

But maybe you prefer if every other click there's an intrusive pop-up that asks you to support them? Because that is a possibility, one a lot less benign than just asking.

There's also no one forcing you to read here if it bothers you so much, the updates are added on the first page not that long after they're added at the end, you could just check there. You have no logical reason whatsoever to complain about this.

And if the updates are not quick enough for you, maybe make your own game? you so easily imply they're lazy, but you could learn to code, you could look up the images, and you could write your own story. What's stopping you from stepping up?

Reactions: kumagawa7

austinhaney6969

Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Oh noes, the developer who doesn't ask the site to take down their illegal copy dares to complain, what a freaking monster! let's lynch them!!

seriously, it's their work, they can complain however they want, you getting the game is not your "god-given right" it's a privilege, one granted to you by both the creator and a person who actually paid for the game and shared it here, a person you seem to be looking down on for the simple fact that they pay for something they enjoy.

And yes, the creators will ask people to support them, it's called advertising. they are not asking you specifically to support them, and won't care if you don't, but they will try to find a few who are sympathtic to their cause, as is their right as the game's creator. They have to get their paying customers somewhere. And yes, some will be more annoying about it than others, but again, it is not directed at you personally, just potential customers in general.

But maybe you prefer if every other click there's an intrusive pop-up that asks you to support them? Because that is a possibility, one a lot less benign than just asking.

There's also no one forcing you to read here if it bothers you so much, the updates are added on the first page not that long after they're added at the end, you could just check there. You have no logical reason whatsoever to complain about this.

And if the updates are not quick enough for you, maybe make your own game? you so easily imply they're lazy, but you could learn to code, you could look up the images, and you could write your own story. What's stopping you from stepping up?
Ironically, one of the reasons I started making this game was due to lazy developers. I'm not going to mention anyone specific, but these devs have multiple writers, coders, artists, etc, and they STILL get less work done than one guy in his free time. I may leave things a bit unpolished, and there may be a few bugs here and there, but I get shit done dammit :p .

austinhaney6969

Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Reactions to 0.5.7:
One thing I would really like to see fixed is the icons of the clothing, some of them match well enough, but some of them don't seem to have anything in common with the actual paper doll clothing, in some cases not even the colour.
Thanks again, I'll look into the bugs and suggestions and hopefully have them fixed next update. If you find anything else, let me know. Oh, and if you want to be a tester on discord, let me know. You pretty much do that already :D

austinhaney6969

Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Reactions to 0.5.7:
Psst, and as for moving the menu to the center of the screen, that's due to people ALREADY not being able to find it. I tried to make everything VERY visible and dumbed down, while implementing hotkeys. Is it perfect? No, not really, but I can't think of any ways to improve it off the top of my head. If you have any ideas, or want to work with me on this, feel free to dm me, post it her, message me on discord, patreon, etc. Oh, and make sure you avoid those Trogs, I always hated finding your corpse in the mill.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Psst, and as for moving the menu to the center of the screen, that's due to people ALREADY not being able to find it. I tried to make everything VERY visible and dumbed down, while implementing hotkeys. Is it perfect? No, not really, but I can't think of any ways to improve it off the top of my head. If you have any ideas, or want to work with me on this, feel free to dm me, post it her, message me on discord, patreon, etc. Oh, and make sure you avoid those Trogs, I always hated finding your corpse in the mill.
The simplest way would probably be just having the sidebar visible by default like most Twine games do. Anyone who's played more than a couple of Twine games expects the save button to be a the bottom of the left sidebar, there will always be some people who can't find it no matter what you do. Another possibility would be to make the sidebar handles more prominent when closed, something like this:
sidebar.png
Shouldn't be anyone missing that, it's way more visible than the default little box.

CuriousG08

Oct 12, 2016

Thinking. Not your strong point is it? That's not what I am complaining about, so you should do some vigorously thorough inventory of your own character defects, before vomiting up your canned drivel to support assholes who barely do anything and expect everyone to pay them a monthly fee.

Kourosh

Dec 2, 2018
what is wrong with this update ? is it just me or are these problems common ?
first of all the saving of a custom set of clothes does not work anymore. you can not do anything but sleep after 14:00 ? is this a prison ? :D 1 action and the day is over ?! i wanted to replay the game from the beginning so i deleted all of my saves from before, now i'm stuck at the point where i am supposed to visit Bailey at her house for the first time but no matter what the option is disabled. should i wait for a bugfix ? maybe i am doing something wrong ? i appreciate the help.

austinhaney6969

Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
The simplest way would probably be just having the sidebar visible by default like most Twine games do. Anyone who's played more than a couple of Twine games expects the save button to be a the bottom of the left sidebar, there will always be some people who can't find it no matter what you do. Another possibility would be to make the sidebar handles more prominent when closed, something like this:
View attachment 640227
Shouldn't be anyone missing that, it's way more visible than the default little box.
I can't do that, it kills the game for mobile users, as some aren't even able to close the sidebar for some reason, that's the reason they're stowed by default. As for making the sidebar handles more prominent... I actually did that while testing :D. But someone pointed out to me that on mobile, the more space taken up, the harder the game is to play, the more they have to scroll, etc.

Here's an actual screenshot of that rough draft.

1588365795863.png

austinhaney6969

Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
what is wrong with this update ? is it just me or are these problems common ?
first of all the saving of a custom set of clothes does not work anymore. you can not do anything but sleep after 14:00 ? is this a prison ? :D 1 action and the day is over ?! i wanted to replay the game from the beginning so i deleted all of my saves from before, now i'm stuck at the point where i am supposed to visit Bailey at her house for the first time but no matter what the option is disabled. should i wait for a bugfix ? maybe i am doing something wrong ? i appreciate the help.
There was a variety of new things implemented that created some issues, and yes, there is a bugfix. I've posted it a few places, but I keep updating it. Here's the latest one.

Zephea

Engaged Member
Sep 7, 2019
I used bugfix7 from a couple days ago, started a new game and have not run into that, or any other issue since.
Well past the School issues, 'cept for Bailey and Psychology which continue to play out. The rest show me end of content. And I am not stuck at home with that update.
Try a new game.

Reactions: ibizadalton

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
I can't do that, it kills the game for mobile users, as some aren't even able to close the sidebar for some reason, that's the reason they're stowed by default. As for making the sidebar handles more prominent... I actually did that while testing :D. But someone pointed out to me that on mobile, the more space taken up, the harder the game is to play, the more they have to scroll, etc.

Here's an actual screenshot of that rough draft.

View attachment 640947
Hmm, sounds like it might be a z-ordering problem, they try to tap on the handle to close the panel but there's another transparent element on top, which catches the click event. I'd try z-index: 1000000 on the sidebar toggle button, that might fix it. I don't really know about mobile, I don't play on one, but giving it a quick check in Chromium's dev mode, it doesn't look like there's any responsive CSS to handle mobile devices? It looks like the margins should go, and the nav buttons should have some wrapping:
BeforeAfter
before.png
after.png
The sidebars themselves, there simply isn't room for them and the main story panel, so I'd have them appear on top of it with 100% width instead.

austinhaney6969

Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Hmm, sounds like it might be a z-ordering problem, they try to tap on the handle to close the panel but there's another transparent element on top, which catches the click event. I'd try z-index: 1000000 on the sidebar toggle button, that might fix it. I don't really know about mobile, I don't play on one, but giving it a quick check in Chromium's dev mode, it doesn't look like there's any responsive CSS to handle mobile devices? It looks like the margins should go, and the nav buttons should have some wrapping:
The sidebars themselves, there simply isn't room for them and the main story panel, so I'd have them appear on top of it with 100% width instead.
I'll look into that and test it on mobile, but I guarantee nothing. I'm pretty much deferring to the few mobile testers I have and if they say "No, that's annoying, or painful, or it doesn't work", I pretty much scratch the idea.

P.S. Apparently there's a lot more mobile users than I thought... So I've been trying to be mindful of them.

3.40 star(s) 21 Votes