VN Ren'Py Abandoned The Manifest: Shadows Over Manston [v2.2] [White Phantom Games]

4.20 star(s) 37 Votes

Alfius

Engaged Member
Modder
Sep 30, 2017
Oye, this feels the same as when My New Life got remade. I mean, I understand devs may not be happy with how some games are going, but at the same time, if they're at a point in the game where it's far enough along, and they want to change things, they shouldn't redo the game, they should instead try and bring the current game to a close and continue the story in a sequel game where they can actually do things differently and create the new game the way they want without hurting the previous game (like what MrDots did with DMD).
That is definitely an option, but I think in this instance, there were just too many game paths. He would have moved forward at a snail's pace developing 1 path, everyone else gets mad, since they get no content, then he develops another path and release, another group of people get mad since no movement on the path they are on etc. etc. etc.

The problem with the Patreon model is that people want to see frequent releases with a lot of content. A game with multiple paths lends itself to little content for each path when trying to do frequent releases. So the dev actually had the option of pissing of his Patreon or re-working his game to be able to do more roll outs more frequently.

Closing of the game and starting a sequal with so many paths is also not easy..What is the canon path to start your sequel on?
With the number of paths out there, everyone will want to see their decisions impacting what happens in the sequel.

Reactions: McWoodz

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
I thought the main pull of the game was the paths you could take and their outcomes.

Was the story ever good?

I remember it being all over the place with new twists and turns added every update.

The over-arching of MC being in a coma because of a bad bust, his gf still being in one, and then he is now a security guard at a school, then assassins are after one of the girls from the school, because of some undisclosed family thing. It was a really jumpy story.

laflare82

Dec 24, 2018
I've been waiting along time for an update to find out what happened next, and I find a clipped game with less content than had. Worse than a bad taste in my mouth, would say. And my savegames to trush.

Fewer options, fewer scenes ... I hope he haven't done it to make haters happy, who were protesting with the sharing path.
Maybe you didn't read the OP Manifest Shadow over Manston (RETOLD)

M4t7theNinja

Sep 20, 2017
I thought the main pull of the game was the paths you could take and their outcomes.

Was the story ever good?

I remember it being all over the place with new twists and turns added every update.

The over-arching of MC being in a coma because of a bad bust, his gf still being in one, and then he is now a security guard at a school, then assassins are after one of the girls from the school, because of some undisclosed family thing. It was a really jumpy story.
The story never got far enough to be good honestly

Reactions: Vainglorious

M4t7theNinja

Sep 20, 2017
is it just me or does a story have to be actually told, like you know, in FULL before it can be retold?
this story got a little way and then stopped. to see it taken right back to the start after getting a little way in, speaks volumes about developers. firstly it shows that they failed to pre-plan, secondly don't have the gumption to complete their project and learn from their own mistakes and thirdly look more and more like they are running out of patience and ideas with their own art and are looking to suck the patreon tit for all its dregs. this applies to all developers for me.

whether you agree or not, you have to admit that either way, restarting a project that is still itself incomplete is perceptively a negative. if they had stuck it out and completed this project and THEN chose to rework it, perception would be that of diligence and the respect that they are developing as a developer and wish to perfect their art. this way just shows that they didn't plan ahead and their creation ran away from them. stupid, as indie developers have only perception as any real currency for possible funders.
Its basically a remaster

Watcher X

Dec 26, 2017
Hmmm...I had forgotten about this one. All I can remember is it was confusing as fuck with multiple paths that seemed to arbitrarily block you out of content for confusing reasons. Hopefully this 'retelling' will bring clarity without cutting too much out.

ThunderRob

Devoted Member
May 10, 2018
its better..the main dames are still there..the chafe was culled..the sudden side dames that ya flirted for potential future boinks have been eliminated..so the focus will be greater on a select group of Jane,Penelope,Skinny Loli,Ginger-Slut,probably McKenna and i would think the blonde school teacher...i'm guestimating there will be 6 main dames instead of a dozen and a half or so..thats just my feeling..if thats the case..perfect..6 is the perfect number of main dames(unless you are WTHI or WVM :p )

consumptionist

Donor
Aug 7, 2019
It's just you.

I disagree with every single point you are trying to make. Obviously we all wanted to original story to be completed, but the dev was overambitious when he started the project and hence the storylines became too complex too complete for him as a single dev.

So your solution for him "failing" to pre-plan, is for him to continue with the failed pre-plan. Sounds kind of like a non solution. He did what every rational person should do. Re-evaluate your plan that is doomed for failure, make the adjustments needed and continue with the new adjusted plan.

Continuing with the "failed" plan as you suggest is not a very smart move if you actually want to complete the game.
He is not restarting the project. He already made the renders, he already have the story line, he is implementing his adjusted plan, like any sane person would do.
it totally your right to disagree. next time try not to do so by then agreeing with a point I made by starting with 'I disagree with every single point..' and then promptly typing out that they failed to pre-plan. if they had then they would have seen that too many paths were created to handle and the project would spiral.

sure, finishing the project is bonkers but so is restarting (how many remakes actually see completion anyway?). perception is everything to crowd-funding sites like patreon and as this feed alone attests to, perception for a remake/restart is a lot of negative. not really sure how you can disagree with that point either as so many here and in other feeds are the proof, unless you think nobody who ever posts a criticism means what they type?

you may well have disagreed with A point I made but certainly, even in your own typing, you didn't disagree with EVERY point.

Reactions: Alfius

Quaszog55

Oct 4, 2017
Now that i have played the more condensed version my suspicions are confirmed. Half the events and 'paths' can be merged into one, without losing much content.

Mercedes and Miller are one path.
Hannah, Penelope, MC and Crazy Town are meshed, no escape possible.

Remaining paths are:

1)Wife (sub), sister in-law Cohabitation, Good MC Hannah and Penelope, could be one path if H&P weren't mutually exclusive content wise.
2)Wife(dom), H&P Cohabitation, Evil MC: H&P and Crazy Town are a match made in heaven.

3)Miller Cohabitation, Good Dad: H&P (Cohabitation or in their own flat) with Mercedes as cheat option to new wife Ms. Miller.
4)Alternative: Miller Cohabitation, Bad Dad: H&P (same as above), with Crazy Town as 'cheat' option.

So hands down: Make either Miller's or MC's family the Core of your corruption Harem and Pick Crazy Town (+Hannah) or Mercedes (+friends) as the enabler for moral deviancy and the other as recipient.

All the girls that were removed from the original game are side bitches anyway (Doc, Barista, Bitch Trio, Police Chicks, Jessica's sister) and could have stayed as casual flings.

Alternative: 5+6) Use Jessica's family + Doc as base of corruption Harem (To Hell with Miller's and MC's defunct families) and Police force as third enabler for moral deviancy and Mercedes Gang and Crazy Town + H&P as the recipient of their action.

So in total 3 Core families*3 Enablers (each with the remaining two as recipients of any action) = NINE total paths. However, 4-5 of them are (probably) shit and can be neglected to be implemented. As some combinations would diminish or cock block each other more often and therefore yield less content.

Reactions: Watcher X

Mormont

Devoted Member
Nov 30, 2018
Well so far so good with the newly reworked version. My only gripe with the game was it's not a harem, life would be so much easier all these women to pick from whilst hoping to get the wife knocked up :p looking forward to when the wife's sister turns up again though she was one naughty minx and if I remember rightly the MC was the father of her unborn baby.

Mwanted

Oct 1, 2017
I've been waiting along time for an update to find out what happened next, and I find a clipped game with less content than had. Worse than a bad taste in my mouth, would say. And my savegames to trush.

Fewer options, fewer scenes ... I hope he haven't done it to make haters happy, who were protesting with the sharing path.
* this.

ThunderRob

Devoted Member
May 10, 2018
i see this revamped version being a huge success if the first release of it any indication..the best dames are still in play..the skinny loli's..the not wife..and the redhead skankomatic...who i believe were the 4 most popular from the old version..i do love dev's style of writing and am a fan of DLC also..so i have faith this game will regain its old spot in my personal top ten.

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-
4.20 star(s) 37 Votes