grunchy

Sep 15, 2019
TLDR:

I trust Alcahest’s vision, I would prefer he keep his own motivation and creativity up by: Focusing on a shorter game with aking few branches (like now), using toggles sparingly and trusting his own narrative instincts. It is likely that he will displease some people with some of his content as content accumulates. But the majority of the story will be very appealing anyway. It’s a wonder no major negative feedback was posted on the forum so far for a maturing game!

The longer take...

on pregnancy, storylines and my willingness to trust in Alcahest’s vision:

I missed the poll on pregnancy and related conversation, but was delighted about impregnation coming in. I have noticed another post that is not appreciate about pregnancy. Some nuances on that first.

While some specifically like to see (as in visually admire) visibly pregnant characters, many may not have such a need. Unfortunately, there is no “impregnation” tag in F95, so the “pregnancy” tag sometimes serves as a proxy. I am definitely a much bigger fan of “impreg” as compared to “pregnancy”. Not showing pregnancy also is not only perhaps potentially less offensive, it broadens availability of “source material” for this specific genre. There are also levels of authenticity to “impreg” source material too, but some things can be limited to narrative anyways. I know narrative-only can be a letdown, but not everything can be perfect for everyone. (And not eveyone needs to impregnated anyways) In any case, visibly pregnant religious characters - with progressive visual storylines!- are definitely hard to come by.

On another note, there is a lot of merit to the thought “let the author do what it wants to do” (as opposed to "consult the fans freauently"). Here are my reasons:

1) The authors have creative visions. My kinks so far have aligned very well with Alcahest. This may be the reason I love this game. However, I believe that the primary reason is the quality of his research and the depth of the narrative of the transgressive. Nuns aren’t my primary kink, but the religious transgressiveness is so well researched that the whole story is admirable. On the other hand, I tend to not appreciate BDSM, and distaste watersports and anal. But if I push the author to do X and avoid Y, I would be ruining the authors fantasy, the primary narrative motivation. Speed and quality of the work would suffer. (Alcahest puts in a lot of work, and speed/productivity is correlated to quality when you have to research a lot!)

2) In my view the creation of the better / more popular games on F95 is taking too long. I highly doubt that this is mainly due to patreon milking. It may also be due to creative / motivational / real life blocks, but I think it is more likely because a lot of mechanics sap creative energy and result in procastination: Branching storylines need to be taken care of, many toggles such as of “no-NTR”, “no-watersports” require re-narration. This can make the project pretty big and cumborsome down the road, not at all fun to write. “Free world” and “lots of narrative choices” come with a huge cost in planning effort. It may require a team instead of a single author. This burden of itself. All this saps energy.

So I personally will try not to push Alcahest on content, or its omission by toggles/branching. I believe it might be better to focus on shorter projects less branches. Even the best games will sap both reader and creator enthusiasm after a few years and projects have a much higher likelihood of sudden abandonment. I would aim for a shorter project, preferably under a year, 18 months max. (I don’t know whether this would satisfy financially) This means implementing the absolutely necessary number of toggles and keeping storylines linear. From what I observed in F95 forums, the most divisive option that almost always requires a toggle in projects is NTR. I do not like NTR, but many in the community cannot stand it at all, so I guess it is a must if any major (male, human) non-protag character will eventally be involved in things. (looks unlikely so far)

3) From what I can see, this game has a small but very appreciative group. I suspect we in general would trust Alcahest’s judgment since he is narrating a storyline with specialized elements anyway: Nuns, religious, history and paranormal. This limits the potential for future storyline focuses considerably (e.g. female protag, NTR, incest, gay unlikely). More vanilla transgressive elements such as virgin and pregnancy more common in this context.
Alcahest is narratively detailing psychologically transgressive elements which presents the corruption a much more realistic sliding scale. I don’t belive that he will suddenly go 10X and suddenly present multiple visibly pregnant nuns. So far he has been even more detail-oriented in scene set-up than I would have expected him to: Notice that he has taken care to pick scenes hiding the male face, so that you don’t have jarring jumps of different personas for the protagonist. This definitely reduces available alternatives.

Big thanks Alcahest!

0Synergy

Jul 6, 2017
Usually I'm not a big fan of real action and html games. With real models, you're normally forced to use what's available online unless you go into heavy photoshopping. Devs end up adding whatever the model has done in order to include more content and even change the story to accomodate a certain photoshoot or video. With HTML it's just a matter of tastes. I simply tend to prefer RenPy for this kind of games.

But The Monastery is different. It has the same issues as the rest of the games made with real models, but the story and the narration is SO good and so immersive, I just forget about everything else and enjoy the ride.

Thank you so much for all the effort you put into this game. You've created something truly special.
The best part of HTML games is cracking the patreon code since its all plain text.

r3v3n1t3

Mar 21, 2019
hey. stuck at c30 here and unable to build temptation during the day. I got two quests I can progress with 20 temptation, but I am only able to build temptation in the evening (which is removed when I sleep). I've tried progressing days (day 65 currently) without luck.

Reactions: virus115

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
hey. stuck at c30 here and unable to build temptation during the day. I got two quests I can progress with 20 temptation, but I am only able to build temptation in the evening (which is removed when I sleep). I've tried progressing days (day 65 currently) without luck.
Give me your save please and I'll check it out.

Eagle1900

Engaged Member
Oct 7, 2022
why is the online version not updated?
the game is interesting but if it is not updated, we are all forced to download and take up space on the hd. an online update is expected, or we will have to wait for the mai to arrive

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
why is the online version not updated?
the game is interesting but if it is not updated, we are all forced to download and take up space on the hd. an online update is expected, or we will have to wait for the mai to arrive
You mean the v0.2 online in OP, hosted on my itch.io? I'm keeping that one more as a demo for people to test the game. From the next version, it won't fit on itch anyway because it will contain too many files to be accepted.

Eagle1900

Engaged Member
Oct 7, 2022
You mean the v0.2 online in OP, hosted on my itch.io? I'm keeping that one more as a demo for people to test the game. From the next version, it won't fit on itch anyway because it will contain too many files to be accepted.
well i tested it and i really liked it... so are you recommending me to download it and not wait for something that can't happen?

Reactions: Alcahest

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
well i tested it and i really liked it... so are you recommending me to download it and not wait for something that can't happen?
You could also play it on some website, like mopoga.com or gamcore.com, but they are not updated to v0.4 yet.

Eagle1900

Engaged Member
Oct 7, 2022
You could also play it on some website, like mopoga.com or gamcore.com, but they are not updated to v0.4 yet.
most of the time I try the games here on f95 because if I have some problems/curiosities etc etc.. I can write directly with whoever is developing it, the other websites (now I'm not sure how you usually behave) do not respond never...
here I have a question to ask, you answered me that you are the one who develops it and therefore it is much more preferable for me.
thank you and wish you a good day

r3v3n1t3

Mar 21, 2019
Depends how you play. If you're on a pc, choose Save to disk and you should be able to see the save.
I've downloaded it and play it with a browser. There is a save option, but that doesn't show me where the files are stored. I've looked in the folder the game is in, but can't see it there.

4.50 star(s) 57 Votes