VN Ren'Py Abandoned The Mound of the Termites [v0.55] [Smeyle Entertainment]

3.90 star(s) 11 Votes
Mar 28, 2019
Anyone cannot open the game on Windows? I could open it after the release, but now it dies every time I try to open the game (compressed version or not), maybe due to Window updates.

cklaubur

Apr 2, 2018
Anyone cannot open the game on Windows? I could open it after the release, but now it dies every time I try to open the game (compressed version or not), maybe due to Window updates.
Works fine for me, and I'm on the Insider Preview branch of Windows 10. Do you get any error messages when the game crashes?

Mar 28, 2019
Works fine for me, and I'm on the Insider Preview branch of Windows 10. Do you get any error messages when the game crashes?
Only clues are these messages from log.txt:
The following gl functions are missing:
- glActiveTexture
- glAttachShader
- glBindFramebuffer
- glCompileShader
- glCreateProgram
- glCreateShader
- glDeleteFramebuffers
- glDeleteProgram
- glDeleteShader
- glDisableVertexAttribArray
- glEnableVertexAttribArray
- glFramebufferTexture2D
- glGenFramebuffers
- glGetAttribLocation
- glGetProgramInfoLog
- glGetProgramiv
- glGetShaderInfoLog
- glGetShaderiv
- glGetUniformLocation
- glLinkProgram
- glShaderSource
- glUniform1f
- glUniform1i
- glUniform2f
- glUniform4f
- glUniformMatrix4fv
- glUseProgram
- glVertexAttribPointer

cklaubur

Apr 2, 2018
Right. Intel UHD Graphics 620 and Radeon 500 Series.
Can you attach the entire log file? I'm not sure if Renpy supports Intel integrated graphics, but the Radeon 500 series should be good to go. I'm using a Radeon RX 570 myself without issues.

Mar 28, 2019
Can you attach the entire log file? I'm not sure if Renpy supports Intel integrated graphics, but the Radeon 500 series should be good to go. I'm using a Radeon RX 570 myself without issues.
The weird thing is, I could run 0.4 at the start of this month, but now I cannot. I got the same problem with other games, like Divimera.

Mon May 24 14:18:55 2021
Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.2.1292

Bootstrap to the start of init.init took 0.08s
Early init took 0.00s
Loader init took 0.03s
Loading error handling took 0.03s
Loading script took 0.25s
Loading save slot metadata. took 0.06s
Loading persistent took 0.00s
Importing _renpysteam: ImportError('No module named _renpysteam',)
Set script version to: (7, 4, 2)
Running init code took 0.09s
Loading analysis data took 0.02s
Analyze and compile ATL took 0.00s
Index archives took 0.00s
Dump and make backups. took 0.00s
Cleaning cache took 0.00s
Making clean stores took 0.00s
Initial gc. took 0.03s
DPI scale factor: 1.000000
Creating interface object took 0.00s
Cleaning stores took 0.00s
Init translation took 0.05s
Build styles took 0.00s
Load screen analysis took 0.02s
Analyze screens took 0.00s
Save screen analysis took 0.00s
Prepare screens took 0.05s
Save pyanalysis. took 0.00s
Save bytecode. took 0.00s
Running _start took 0.00s
Performance test:
Interface start took 0.52s

Initializing gl renderer:
primary display bounds: (0, 0, 1920, 1080)
swap interval: 1 frames
Using GL DLL.
Windowed mode.
The following gl functions are missing:
- glActiveTexture
- glAttachShader
- glBindFramebuffer
- glCompileShader
- glCreateProgram
- glCreateShader
- glDeleteFramebuffers
- glDeleteProgram
- glDeleteShader
- glDisableVertexAttribArray
- glEnableVertexAttribArray
- glFramebufferTexture2D
- glGenFramebuffers
- glGetAttribLocation
- glGetProgramInfoLog
- glGetProgramiv
- glGetShaderInfoLog
- glGetShaderiv
- glGetUniformLocation
- glLinkProgram
- glShaderSource
- glUniform1f
- glUniform1i
- glUniform2f
- glUniform4f
- glUniformMatrix4fv
- glUseProgram
- glVertexAttribPointer

Initializing angle renderer:
primary display bounds: (0, 0, 1920, 1080)
swap interval: 1 frames
Using ANGLE DLL: E:\...\The_Mound_of_the_Termites-0.4-pc-compressed\MTT-0.4-pc\lib\windows-x86_64\libEGL.dll

Last edited:

Sarkasmus

May 4, 2020
The weird thing is, I could run 0.4 at the start of this month, but now I cannot. I got the same problem with other game, Divimera.
I'd say you got a buggy graphics driver in one of the Updates. Quick way to test this:
  1. Double-Click the executable of the game
  2. IMMEDIATELY hold down the Shift-Key, until the game starts
  3. You should now see a debug-screen you can use, to switch to "Force Software Renderer"
  4. Click the "Quit"-Link in the bottom Left.
  5. Try to start the game without holding the Shift-Key and test if it runs now.

EDIT
Sorry, just realized MTT uses RenPy 7... there is no more Software-Renderer. Try "Force Angle Renderer" instead. It relies on DirectX instead of OpenGL.

Last edited:

cklaubur

Apr 2, 2018
The weird thing is, I could run 0.4 at the start of this month, but now I cannot. I got the same problem with other game, Divimera.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I agree with Sarkasmus. I compared your log (spoilered in the quote to save space) to the log generated on my computer after running the game, and the logs are mostly the same until the line "Windowed mode." After that line, the log on my computer names the video card used and its capabilities. Yours doesn't seem to do that.

Mar 28, 2019
I'd say you got a buggy graphics driver in one of the Updates. Quick way to test this:
  1. Double-Click the executable of the game
  2. IMMEDIATELY hold down the Shift-Key, until the game starts
  3. You should now see a debug-screen you can use, to switch to "Force Software Renderer"
  4. Click the "Quit"-Link in the bottom Left.
  5. Try to start the game without holding the Shift-Key and test if it runs now.

EDIT
Sorry, just realized MTT uses RenPy 7... there is no more Software-Renderer. Try "Force Angle Renderer" instead. It relies on DirectX instead of OpenGL.
Thank you! It solves the problem!

Sarkasmus

May 4, 2020
Thank you! It solves the problem!
Well... not really. RenPy prefers OpenGL because it's providing more functionality than DirectX. You should still try to get the right Display-Driver. Preferably not through Windows-Update, since that is the most likely source for the faulty one.

Mar 28, 2019
Well... not really. RenPy prefers OpenGL because it's providing more functionality than DirectX. You should still try to get the right Display-Driver. Preferably not through Windows-Update, since that is the most likely source for the faulty one.
It could be caused by the AMD GPU driver. But I may need to contact their support team for help.

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
Wow, has the father a dual personality?
Nice and kind? as a teacher but an asshole to son and wife?
(As far as I know, the points he got are quite good or am I wrong? What a perfectionist.^^)
I assume the son is a necessary evil in his mind. He needs to have someone to carry on his legacy / bloodline and to be his legacy he cannot accept anything beyond perfection (even though the dad himself is not perfect).
At least that is my take.

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
Just getting into this - but why were all her clothes dirty and what should they have gotten rid of years ago? Did I miss something?

Sarkasmus

May 4, 2020
Just getting into this - but why were all her clothes dirty and what should they have gotten rid of years ago? Did I miss something?
Sorry... Context?

*EDIT*
Oh, you just started the game. Why all her clothes were dirty is going to be explained as part of the story. But I have no idea what you mean by "What should they have gotten rid of years ago". Do you mean the Halloween-Costume she's wearing instead of ther dirty clothes?

Last edited:

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
Sorry... Context?

*EDIT*
Oh, you just started the game. Why all her clothes were dirty is going to be explained as part of the story. But I have no idea what you mean by "What should they have gotten rid of years ago". Do you mean the Halloween-Costume she's wearing instead of ther dirty clothes?
Step "Well, I sort of ended up having to wash every clothes I have..."
Son "You're clumsier than you look."; "Been ten years or so since we've bought that junk, so I'm not surprised."; "I'll let dad know about it."
Seems like something was taken out?

Sarkasmus

May 4, 2020
Step "Well, I sort of ended up having to wash every clothes I have..."
Son "You're clumsier than you look."; "Been ten years or so since we've bought that junk, so I'm not surprised."; "I'll let dad know about it."
Seems like something was taken out?
Ah, yeah, that line is confusing. Well, as said before: Why ALL her clothes were dirty is going to be explained later. MC doesn't know the reason yet, so he calls her clumsy for not realizing that she has no more spare clothing.
But the premise was, that she had to wear the torn shirt, because the dryer broke down (she tells us this before the eating-conversation even starts). I think MC is referring to the broken dryer when he mentions the 10yo junk.

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
Ah, yeah, that line is confusing. Well, as said before: Why ALL her clothes were dirty is going to be explained later. MC doesn't know the reason yet, so he calls her clumsy for not realizing that she has no more spare clothing.
But the premise was, that she had to wear the torn shirt, because the dryer broke down (she tells us this before the eating-conversation even starts). I think MC is referring to the broken dryer when he mentions the 10yo junk.
The broken dryer makes sense... Thanks.

3.90 star(s) 11 Votes