VN Ren'Py The Neverwhere Tales [v0.4.0] [Ceolag]

4.40 star(s) 38 Votes

faradhii

Sep 8, 2019
No harem necessary, so far there are 2 LI's I'm interested in. Fiona and Kaija in that order. I'm nore than willing to have 2 save paths. Hell, in LOF I had, like, 6 save paths, Become a Rockstar, I had about 5.....

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

nitkonikic

Sep 17, 2018
While I totally get your point, and agree with the most of it, it still seems to me that MC is overreacting. Yes, to MC all this mess came out of the blue, but they had a frank talk at his parents home. She explained that she was ordered to be close and guard him, and although at first it was just an assignment for her, she began to develop feelings for him, and this ended in a romantic relationship and that she loves him. And they were friends long before that, if I remember correctly, so she had the opportunity to get close to him without getting into a relationship. Yes, she hid the full truth about who she really is from him, but she didn't betray or used him to her advantage, she didn't cheated on him. He may complain that she hides the truth about her "job", but it would be unfair to accuse her of pretending to have feelings for him and of faking their relationship.
On the love route, I agree. Her intentions are good, she is also affected herself and it shows (seen nicely if you go home next day, instead of visiting Fiona (crying under a shower scene), as well as when you see her on bench "she looks completely lost"), and ultimately I can see them getting back together. Some patching up needed.

On friend route, I just don't see any overreaction. If anything, he's underreacting. She played with his feelings to have an easier job. She literally admits it. That's incredibly cruel, and easily friendship ending for all times. How does MC trust any other woman in his life after someone did that to him for years?

Also big difference on both scenes (if you go home following day, there's no scene from her apartment being sad and when you see her on the bench comment is along the lines "sitting there like nothing happened"). On friend route she doesn't get affected by admitting the truth. I mean hell, she barely even shows remorse. She does apologize, but considering the offense she did, it's not enough.

I'm being a hecking parrot here, but I have to again say how much I love the difference between those 2 routes. In one of them I see Kaija as incredibly lovable person MC could stick with ultimately, in other she's toxic, job-oriented person he should stay far away from.

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
Some fan sigs for "TNT":

Kaija - Fan-Signature
300 x 124 px / 0,82 MB

View attachment 2368165

LINK: https://attachments.f95zone.to/2023/02/2391559_TNTsiG2.gif
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Fiona - Fan-Signature
300 x 124 px / 0,84 MB

View attachment 2368163

LINK: https://attachments.f95zone.to/2023/02/2391557_TNTsiG1.gif
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Elea - Fan-Signature
300 x 124 px / 0,96 MB

View attachment 2368166

LINK: https://attachments.f95zone.to/2023/02/2391560_TNTsiG3.gif

Medb - Fan-Signature
300 x 124 px / 0,88 MB

View attachment 2368167

LINK: https://attachments.f95zone.to/2023/02/2391561_TNTsiG4.gif
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

S p e c i a l
T e m p l a r - Fan-Signature
300 x 124 px / 0,89 MB

View attachment 2368168

LINK: https://attachments.f95zone.to/2023/02/2391562_TNTsiG5.gif
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So folks: feel welcome to use (up to two of) these sigs in your signature.
You'd support the further development of this great story a wee bit as well...​
Hope you'll ENJOY! :cool:
___________________________________________________________________________________
Ceolag, thanks for your inspiring game & good luck with the further development! Cheers!
Thank you very much, Gorse. For the nice words, and even more for the great sigs.
I really appreciate it!

It's a shame that too few reviews have been written so far. This game definitely deserves to be known more widely. Thanks to the thread, I recalled the name of the genre this game belongs to, it's called urban fantasy. While I can't say that I'm a big fan of the classic fantasy (you know, all these medieval sceneries or elven forests, kings and knights, e.t.c.), I do like this kind of fantasy setting, when supernatural things happen next to modern people living their ordinary lives in the city. And well, along comes TNT.

At least the second chapter is as good as the prologue or even better, the tension builds as the main plot progresses. We have the opportunity to spend time with each of the main girls and get to know them better, as well as make some new acquaintances. So far so good, great job, Ceolag!

I really don't know what to think about Kaija. At first I didn't like her at all. [whinning mode ON] Why on earth do you devs so love to include a mandatory long-term-relationship-girlfriend in your MC's starter pack, and then immediately have the player to make decisions and act as if he really knows her and have already formed an opinion about her. Man, I met her a couple game screens ago, maybe MC knows her well, but I don't. Please, let me at least get to know her a little bit, see her acting in a couple of standard situations from her relationship with MC and then I'll be happy to choose what to do with her. No, you want me to bang her right off the bat? Okay, it's my duty as MC after all. Release the Kraken! [whinning mode OFF]

Back to Kaija. In the second chapter, she turns out to be a very likeable character and a good person, so it feels like a jerk move for my MC, to just dump and ignore her. But Fiona... She'll give Kaija a run for her money. There is still no harem tag, right? I'm asking for my friend :)
Anyway, a great game with the lot of potential, thank you dev!
I do enjoy other fantasy, too, but Urban Fantasy is my favorite setting. You can just use pretty much anything you want. Magic, sports cars, angels & demons, whatever. And you can use references to our "real" world (little history geek in me loves that).

Regarding Kaija:
I can only talk about my reasons here and not for other devs.
I'm a sucker for these stories. Throw in the lost love, the girlfriend from school days, whatever, and you got me.
You probably have played BaDIK so I'll go with an example from that game. A lot of people kinda hated the Interlude.
I loved it. For the single reason named "Zoey". She instantly made it to the top of my list. Yes, it's that bad!
And, of course, she's pretty important for the story early on.

And no, still no harem tag. Say "sorry" to your friend for me. :ROFLMAO:
It doesn't fit the main girls' personalities. Of course, I could do a side girl harem, but that's missing the point, I guess? :LOL:

As a side note though, while I appreciate and love number of current options, hope dev doesn't overstretch with "routes". While I love seeing and playing games like that, it must be an absolute nightmare to keep track of and develop for each update.
That's the reason, why I only have 4 LIs. To reduce the pathing. It becomes worse with every single LI added.

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
Regarding Kaija:
I can only talk about my reasons here and not for other devs.
I'm a sucker for these stories. Throw in the lost love, the girlfriend from school days, whatever, and you got me.
You probably have played BaDIK so I'll go with an example from that game. A lot of people kinda hated the Interlude.
I loved it. For the single reason named "Zoey". She instantly made it to the top of my list. Yes, it's that bad!
And, of course, she's pretty important for the story early on.
Yeah, I like that kind of storylines too, but that's not exactly what I meant. If we'll look at the game whose title shan't be spoken or BaDIK for short, the player's attitude towards each of the girls comes naturally from small scenes where the player acting with the girl, learning more about her personality and character traits. The game gives the player enough time and material to make his/her own opinion about what kind of person this particular character is. And when the story reaches the point where the player should make an important decision related to that particular character, he/she already has a general opinion about that character, which is a basis for making the decision.

Let's say you don't start BaDIK with Josy's legs on your shoulders, do you? Instead, you go through a series of interactions with her, you watch her from afar, then you humiliate Steve together, then you're chatting at the launch break, then you give her a ride home, then you hang up together, then you leave to the college and talk to her on the phone, then you visit her at the weekend, and only here you have to decide whether you want a relationship with her or you just come up with a proper excuse and leave. At this point, you know her enough to decide whether you like her or not.

The same goes for Zoey. You see your history with her through the MC's revelations to Bella, MC describes how he felt back then, and what their relationship looked like. Then you have a whole "Interlude" chapter to learn almost everything about Zoey's character and personality. Then you have heart to heart talk with her, clearing the ground for a future decision. Then you're observing her at the party, getting to know the new Zoey. And by this point you know enough of her to prepare for the decision that yet to come: will you ditch your current gf and return to Zoey or you should leave your ex in the past and move on.

And if you look at the rest of the LIs in BaDIK, it's the same story with each of them. First you interact with LI, form your opinion about her until you get to know her better, and only then decide whether you want some kind of relationship with her or not.

That's what I meant in a nutshell :) The game gives the player an opportunity to choose MC's attitude towards Kaija right from the start, he can be a loyal and caring boyfriend or act coldly, as if he is just looking for an excuse to leave her as soon as possible. And the player just don't know her enough to have an opinion about her, so it's more of a coin toss here than a reasonable choice.
But that's just me, and maybe I'm overthinking and too much into roleplaying here :HideThePain: And if the good dev gave me the opportunity to bang a hot chick right from the start, who am I to refuse such a generous gift. :KEK:

And no, still no harem tag. Say "sorry" to your friend for me. :ROFLMAO:
It doesn't fit the main girls' personalities. Of course, I could do a side girl harem, but that's missing the point, I guess? :LOL:
My friend will be devastated but he'll manage to live with that! I also think that a harem would not suit most of the girls in this game. And while I can't say that I'm a big fan of it, I do appreciate the harem if it fits naturally into the game's realm, like in Desert Stalker. But! But we have elves here, who knows what those smooth bastards are up for :)

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Bold choice, going with the General, Ceolag. Hopefully you won't have to deal with too many super-sensitive types over that.

There are some odd choices, although I don't necessarily dislike some of them.
There is also a lot I really like in the game now, just improving upon what was in the previous release.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Ceolag

constantine

Jul 1, 2017
I do like the urban fantasy setting. Navigating between two different worlds appeal to me.

I've only completed the Elea path at this point, but I'm having second thoughts pursuing her since she's going to have to be brought into the templar stuff if there's going to be a romantic relationship with her, which I'm not sure is a good thing since it'll upend her life most likely. On the other hand, she might enjoy the adventure.

I am curious about Medb. She hates humans, which would make forming a relationship with her challenging. But, I think it might be fun to pursue an antagonistic LI. Convert her into a human lover (or would MC get converted into loving elves more than humans?).

Good luck on development Ceolag.

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
Yeah, I like that kind of storylines too, but that's not exactly what I meant. If we'll look at the game whose title shan't be spoken or BaDIK for short, the player's attitude towards each of the girls comes naturally from small scenes where the player acting with the girl, learning more about her personality and character traits. The game gives the player enough time and material to make his/her own opinion about what kind of person this particular character is. And when the story reaches the point where the player should make an important decision related to that particular character, he/she already has a general opinion about that character, which is a basis for making the decision.

Let's say you don't start BaDIK with Josy's legs on your shoulders, do you? Instead, you go through a series of interactions with her, you watch her from afar, then you humiliate Steve together, then you're chatting at the launch break, then you give her a ride home, then you hang up together, then you leave to the college and talk to her on the phone, then you visit her at the weekend, and only here you have to decide whether you want a relationship with her or you just come up with a proper excuse and leave. At this point, you know her enough to decide whether you like her or not.

The same goes for Zoey. You see your history with her through the MC's revelations to Bella, MC describes how he felt back then, and what their relationship looked like. Then you have a whole "Interlude" chapter to learn almost everything about Zoey's character and personality. Then you have heart to heart talk with her, clearing the ground for a future decision. Then you're observing her at the party, getting to know the new Zoey. And by this point you know enough of her to prepare for the decision that yet to come: will you ditch your current gf and return to Zoey or you should leave your ex in the past and move on.

And if you look at the rest of the LIs in BaDIK, it's the same story with each of them. First you interact with LI, form your opinion about her until you get to know her better, and only then decide whether you want some kind of relationship with her or not.

That's what I meant in a nutshell :) The game gives the player an opportunity to choose MC's attitude towards Kaija right from the start, he can be a loyal and caring boyfriend or act coldly, as if he is just looking for an excuse to leave her as soon as possible. And the player just don't know her enough to have an opinion about her, so it's more of a coin toss here than a reasonable choice.
But that's just me, and maybe I'm overthinking and too much into roleplaying here :HideThePain: And if the good dev gave me the opportunity to bang a hot chick right from the start, who am I to refuse such a generous gift. :KEK:

My friend will be devastated but he'll manage to live with that! I also think that a harem would not suit most of the girls in this game. And while I can't say that I'm a big fan of it, I do appreciate the harem if it fits naturally into the game's realm, like in Desert Stalker. But! But we have elves here, who knows what those smooth bastards are up for :)
I see your point. I didn't want to force her on you more than I had to. But you're right by doing so I kinda expect the player to either already have knowledge from earlier playthroughs or choose "randomly".
Duly noted, I'll avoid that trap with my next game coming 2035 :ROFLMAO:

And thanks for typing out your opinion in such detail, I really appreciate that!

Bold choice, going with the General, Ceolag. Hopefully you won't have to deal with too many super-sensitive types over that.

There are some odd choices, although I don't necessarily dislike some of them.
There is also a lot I really like in the game now, just improving upon what was in the previous release.
Regarding The General: I can take some shit. Some people may like it, some don't. I love doing stuff like that so I'll accept the drawbacks that come with it.

The save interface:
The old one had a serious problem: I couldn't limit the length of the input string. Which resulted in overlapping save names when you used very long names.
20 characters may be too short. I'm honest, I just went with something that felt "right". I didn't test how many I can actually fit in. Will do that and probably allow more characters in the next release.
The special characters are a by-product of that reworked code. Quotation marks might pose some problems, but I don't really see a reason not to allow parentheses, etc.

The outlines, I'm aware of. I use a custom tag for the quotation marks+italic. And I couldn't get the outline to work for that. No clue why, I did try for quite a while. If I ever find a solution for that, I'll happily change that.
The same custom tag is to blame for the text-wrapping issue.

Regarding the choice of words: Thank you so much. That kind of feedback is one of the reasons why I'm actually writing in a foreign language. To learn more about these things. I wasn't aware of the pretty/quite "issue" and I'll start paying attention to that. And the, of course, to the thing with spelling/pronounciation.

And, last but not least, thanks for the nice words. I'm glad you still enjoyed the game ;)

I do like the urban fantasy setting. Navigating between two different worlds appeal to me.

I've only completed the Elea path at this point, but I'm having second thoughts pursuing her since she's going to have to be brought into the templar stuff if there's going to be a romantic relationship with her, which I'm not sure is a good thing since it'll upend her life most likely. On the other hand, she might enjoy the adventure.

I am curious about Medb. She hates humans, which would make forming a relationship with her challenging. But, I think it might be fun to pursue an antagonistic LI. Convert her into a human lover (or would MC get converted into loving elves more than humans?).

Good luck on development Ceolag.
Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Not going into detail about your 2 thoughts here as it'd be way too tempting to spoil the story here.
I have something in mind for both points, tho.

Mipecio

Oct 3, 2021
Heh, I must be in the minority in here because I prefer games where you focus on one girl you like and if you cheat on her, there are consequences. Anyways, I wanted to come and say that I've really enjoyed your game so far and I can't wait to see more!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ceolag and risky0

nitkonikic

Sep 17, 2018
Interesting game. Looking forward to how this is going to play out.

I'll keep my comment under spoiler in case someone sees it before playing, but it's only for v0.2, so probably no reason to.

It kinda again depends on which of 2 "routes" you got with Kaija, love or friend.

In both cases I'd say you have Kevin on mission to follow MC (or just massive coincidence, which I don't think it is). So they do care about MCs safety, it's just not their first priority.

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
In both cases I'd say you have Kevin on mission to follow MC (or just massive coincidence, which I don't think it is). So they do care about MCs safety, it's just not their first priority.
Don't know really. But Steroid-Kevin had been at that pub a lot before, but that may just be when he is off duty from following MC around.

I wonder why Mom&Dad hid things from MC & sis. Maybe they knew templars are a-holes and don't want the kids to grow up like that. On the other hand it is pretty irresponsible of them to hide the supernatural world from the kids since it is almost a given that they will get involved at some point in one way or the other considering dad is grand master.

Vasin

Nov 20, 2018
Well I finished playing through this and I sort of liked the premise and overall it wasn't bad but there was a lot of small things that just grated me.

I'll start with the most obvious - faces. They just have some uncanny quality to them, protagonist's face just deeply unsettles me, Kaija's chin is way too pointy, Elea's cheekbones look exaggerated, that kind of thing. And the names, I mean, you have HElena in the *same scene*. It's literally the same name with 2 letters taken out. Those are minor nitpicks though.

I have some issues with the plot. First is that I found out by reading this thread is that the game retcons the past based on your choices in the present, i.e. characters motivation in the past changes depending on the chosen path. That is not how continuity should work. It hurts character integrity.

Second one is more significant. I find the plot to kidnap the Grandmaster of Templar order and then demand they disband to be extremely, and I cannot underemphasize that, stupid. It's like kidnapping PotUS and expecting USA to disband. Hell, half the country will probably thank you. There better be a much more complex scheme behind that.

And of course the entire keeping the MC in the dark, sending one person to get him after what should have been a Defcon 2 situation, having MC informed about kidnapping the next day, those could have probably been done without but it's fine for the kind of story this is.

Overall looking forward to the next chapter, and good job on not including all the tags that people find controversial. I can imagine insect crowd getting particularly vocal if the game gets more traction.

P.S. One thing I forgot to mention I really liked about the game is how you can still have a pretty chill time with different LIs despite just doing the friend path, instead of having like a conventional cancel choice that just skips a scene. That can get hard to manage later on.

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
Second one is more significant. I find the plot to kidnap the Grandmaster of Templar order and then demand they disband to be extremely, and I cannot underemphasize that, stupid. It's like kidnapping PotUS and expecting USA to disband. Hell, half the country will probably thank you. There better be a much more complex scheme behind that.
They put outrageous demands because they don't want the Templars to accept. They just want to be seen as they are "negotiating". And to have plausible deniability "you are to blame since you didn't accept our demands".

goulet1995

Sep 30, 2021
Harem games cannot have a logical story.
It's all like a fuck festival.

I like strong possessive women.
It would be nice to see some jealousy in the game.
The female elf is very attractive to me.
so harems are illogical even though they have been a thing in real life while elves are perfectly fine to you

• Thinking Face
Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Harem games cannot have a logical story.
It's all like a fuck festival.

I like strong possessive women.
It would be nice to see some jealousy in the game.
The female elf is very attractive to me.
so harems are illogical even though they have been a thing in real life while elves are perfectly fine to you
Well, risky0 was specifically talking about harem games, not harems themselves. But he was also saying they "cannot have a logical story", which is untrue. I do think they have a tendency to become ludicrous, like you're picking candies from a bin and get everything you want that's available. But I have seen some games where I felt they were done decently to even well. I just think they are trickier to manage than some people pretend.

The MC shouldn't cough and suddenly have every girl within a couple of city blocks. At the same time, if you have a post-apocalyptic situation where the survival of humanity necessitates procreation and the MC is the only man (or the only other men are douches or seriously dangerous), it's understandable that multiple women would be OK being with the one man. So I think the reality is somewhere between being completely plausible and completely ridiculous, depending how they are written.

Reactions: Mipecio and risky0

goulet1995

Sep 30, 2021
Well, risky0 was specifically talking about harem games, not harems themselves. But he was also saying they "cannot have a logical story", which is untrue. I do think they have a tendency to become ludicrous, like you're picking candies from a bin and get everything you want that's available. But I have seen some games where I felt they were done decently to even well. I just think they are trickier to manage than some people pretend.

The MC shouldn't cough and suddenly have every girl within a couple of city blocks. At the same time, if you have a post-apocalyptic situation where the survival of humanity necessitates procreation and the MC is the only man (or the only other men are douches or seriously dangerous), it's understandable that multiple women would be OK being with the one man. So I think the reality is somewhere between being completely plausible and completely ridiculous, depending how they are written.
i agree most do become ludicrouse but imo that comes down to the skill of the writer

Mipecio

Oct 3, 2021
I personally find harem games that are set in modern times and for example have a young nobody teen getting all the girls he wants really ridiculous, but if it was set in like medieval times or post-apocalyptic times and done right then I could see it plausible. One post-apocalyptic game that comes to mind is Desert Stalker. The other problem I have with harem games is that they usually have way too many women, so you end up having these bland and boring characters and the whole thing becomes just a fuckfest. I'd rather have a game where the dev focuses on few well written characters, give them interesting backstory and personality and more time to spend with the MC. Sorry for my bad English.

Last edited:
4.40 star(s) 38 Votes