VN Ren'Py The Neverwhere Tales [v0.4.0] [Ceolag]

4.40 star(s) 38 Votes

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
i agree most do become ludicrouse but imo that comes down to the skill of the writer
I personally find harem games that are set in modern times and for example have a young nobody teen getting all the girls he wants really ridiculous, but if it was set in like medieval times or post-apocalyptic times and done right then I could see it plausible. One post-apocalyptic game that games to mind is Desert Stalker. The other problem I have with harem games is that they usually have way too many women, so you end up having these bland and boring characters and the whole thing becomes just a fuckfest. I'd rather have a game where the dev focuses on few well written characters, give them interesting backstory and personality and more time to spend with the MC. Sorry for my bad English.
Yep. I pretty much agree with all of this. I think they can work (i.e., they are not automatically illogical), but they require certain things to be in place and most especially a skilled writer who can make each LI special and fleshed out . . . OK, now I realize how that last phrase sounds. :FacePalm:

faradhii

Sep 8, 2019
There are a few harem games that feel well thought out and logical. 1) The aforementioned post apocalyptic: Desert Stalker, Now and Then, MIST, that base builder game where the wife died and it's one guy leading a team (who, COINCIDENTALLY, all happen to be hot women), etc. 2) Religious based games: Love of Magic, On Distant Shores, etc. Most other genres of harem seem forced.

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
Hey guys,

As I said last week, I started working on Chapter 3.
Since it's been just a week into development, nothing really exciting to report about. The first scene is rendered and written and I'm working on the 2nd scene now.
78 static renders are done and the dialogue file is at 379.
As I said, no exciting numbers. Early development kinda sucks.

I did change my approach to looking for music a bit. Before, I finished implementing the whole scene (and maybe even the next) before I started looking for music. That works quite well if you find something you like pretty quickly.
It gets annoying when you're sitting there for 2+ hours without finding anything you like.
So I started listening through the music libraries of different artists while writing the scene and setting up the renders. I'm not sure if it'll work out in the long run, but I found quite a few songs I like to use in the future. And even one for the scene I'm working on right now.

Additionally, I did some renders/wallpapers the last week because... well, I wanted to.
They're attached to this post for your convenience. (I also posted them in the DAZ thread here)

Have a great weekend.
Cheers,
Ceolag

elea_ch2_promo_2k.png fiona_ch2_promo_2k.png

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
ch3_preview1.png

Hey everyone,

time to really get going with Chapter 3 development.
Despite not having a lot of time for the game this week, I still managed to finish the first 2 scenes.
All renders are done and post-worked, the script is done and I have the music for the scenes.

Besides that, I did some work on the UI, in this case, the screen for saving the game.
The new version will have a checkbox to en-/disable the save naming. So you can decide on your own if you want to get the prompt to name your save.
The length for save names got raised to 25 characters. Anything longer will potentially overlap with other saves.
And I added some special characters back to the allowed characters.
The list of allowed characters is as follows:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789-()!?_/&$%+<>,;.:
If you still feel the need for more special characters, feel free to get back to me and I'll see what I can do.

The render count for Chapter 3 is 189 finished renders, which means 111 renders got done this week.
If I remember correctly, that's the highest count I ever had for one week. That's most likely not going to continue. ;-)
The script file is at 688 lines.

Have a great weekend, guys.
Cheers,
Ceolag

Oct 10, 2022
I don't know how to put it nicely but I am hoping to see Kaija dies in a most gruesome way possible. I literally hated her. I am not sure which way is the worse, she never loved MC way or loved MC way. Either of them worse than each other. So, I could say perfectly written story. Good job from the devs.

Reactions: Majindevil

nitkonikic

Sep 17, 2018
I don't know how to put it nicely but I am hoping to see Kaija dies in a most gruesome way possible. I literally hated her. I am not sure which way is the worse, she never loved MC way or loved MC way. Either of them worse than each other. So, I could say perfectly written story. Good job from the devs.
Ouch, harsh.
While I'm onboard ship called "leave her behind for all eternity", there's no reason to want her dead.
Friend path definitely can produce super strong hate feelings towards her, where she literally lied to and seduced MC just to have an easier job. What makes it worse is her own admission she wasn't ordered to do it. MCs father made sure she can choose. She chose, of her own will, to seduce and destroy MC. Breaking all contact forever would be only possible action after a betrayal such as that one.

Love path though, I think she's suffering (and was suffering before the discovery) because she also didn't want it to play this way. Wanted to say the truth to MC, but couldn't.

Hope you stick around and we get to see how the story unravels, perhaps we get opportunity to ditch her forever. Don't need a friend who does that. Especially when surrounded with women who seem more trustworthy (so far anyway).

Oct 10, 2022
Ouch, harsh.
While I'm onboard ship called "leave her behind for all eternity", there's no reason to want her dead.
Friend path definitely can produce super strong hate feelings towards her, where she literally lied to and seduced MC just to have an easier job. What makes it worse is her own admission she wasn't ordered to do it. MCs father made sure she can choose. She chose, of her own will, to seduce and destroy MC. Breaking all contact forever would be only possible action after a betrayal such as that one.

Love path though, I think she's suffering (and was suffering before the discovery) because she also didn't want it to play this way. Wanted to say the truth to MC, but couldn't.

Hope you stick around and we get to see how the story unravels, perhaps we get opportunity to ditch her forever. Don't need a friend who does that. Especially when surrounded with women who seem more trustworthy (so far anyway).
Well, that thing is an old scar for me so not only I wanna see her dead I wanna see her die gruesomely. I truly believe this game will be on top 10 in a few updates, and I'll be here with its rise. Let's hope it will be a pleasent ride. :sneaky:

• Haha
Reactions: nitkonikic

bobdango

Dec 25, 2020
This seems to be a game where FOMO and strong dislike of replying will cause me to drop it >_<. Multiple LI without harem... Sad seeing as the potential is really high.

Also kind of weird how the Kaija looks like a friend of mine....

ryansFLYIN

Sep 19, 2022
Yo, can I join up with the bad guys? Because so far the good guys are really shitty people.

Honestly, I'm kinda glad this isn't a harem because there is only 1 LI I can actually stand to be around, which is a shame because the other 3 are way hotter. Side chicks are nice, though. Hopefully we can get somewhere with Kate.

Story seems interesting, though. I like that we get a fair bit of choices and that they actually matter. For instance, when MC's sister asked if we loved Kaija I said no, and then when Elea asked if we were dating "yes" was greyed out. I look forward to the future of this one!

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
This seems to be a game where FOMO and strong dislike of replying will cause me to drop it >_<. Multiple LI without harem... Sad seeing as the potential is really high.

Also kind of weird how the Kaija looks like a friend of mine....
There has never been a harem tag on this game, and it's been said multiple times that there will be no harem in the game. IDK what led you to believe it might have one, but that's never been planned with The Neverwhere Tales.

bobdango

Dec 25, 2020
There has never been a harem tag on this game, and it's been said multiple times that there will be no harem in the game. IDK what led you to believe it might have one, but that's never been planned with The Neverwhere Tales.
Nothing made me think there was or would be one. was simply stating the fact that it doesn't have one may hinder it for me. Having said that, I am loving Kaija so far so I'll be sticking with it for her!.

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
g9_test2_2k.png
Hey everybody,

Progress has been pretty good so far. Because of that, I decided not to work on the game on the weekend and finally start trying out Genesis 9.
Well, not working on the game isn't exactly correct because I intend to use the created girl somewhere in the game.
The result of that can be seen above. The first g9 of The Neverwhere Tales.
In general, I'm not using stock characters most of the time. The majority is quite heavily morphed or edited.
This one is no exception since it's not a g9 model. It's a g8 model, 2 to be specific, and still morphed. After that, the morph transferred to g9. That worked pretty well although I had to mess with Blender for it (I can't wrap my head around the interface/controls of that thing...).
Transferring the g8 skin I had in mind didn't really work. So I used a g9 skin.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with her look, but g9 comes with some serious problems.
The main problem is the lack of correction morphs. Mostly noticeable on her left leg (the knee bend and the thigh). They just look off. There are ways to fix that (at least the thigh) to some extent, but that's nothing you want to deal with when doing several renders for a scene.
On top of that, the clothing options still suck and you can only get so far with converted clothing (I wanted to use another bikini for the shot above but it got messed up by the conversion process).

In short: She'll have a short appearance in Chapter 3 and then she'll be "benched" until we have at least some of the important correction morphs.

Outside of that, I'm nearly finished with the 3rd scene of Chapter 3, which adds another 69 renders and another ~200 lines of dialogue.
That brings the total to 258 renders and 901 lines in the dialogue file.

Cheers,
Ceolag

g9_test1_2k.png g9_test3_2k.png

4.40 star(s) 38 Votes