VN Ren'Py The Neverwhere Tales [v0.4.0] [Ceolag]

4.40 star(s) 38 Votes

7empest5teele

Dec 23, 2019
Alright, FINALLY I get a VN that's actually good throughout!

I have been through a couple hundred by now, so when I find one where the dialog doesn't sound like it was written by a retarded gorilla that recently fired his chimpanzee editor, OR the renders/ animation doesn't look like it was created by a drunken lobster, this is refreshing.

The renders first off are top-shelf high quality, every single one, whether it's a character or basic scenery, looks like it was specifically chosen for that particular moment.

A lot of detail was also placed within the story and overall narrative, showing that the creator(s) have a well-planned direction that they are setting forward, and releasing as quickly as their perfectionist selves can manage.

If they continue focusing on this one element or project, without getting distracted by another, I can see it progressing and developing exponentially, which will garner MANY more Patreon subscribers, while putting your name on several lips in their conversation about this very well started project.

I saw one erotic scene (well 1.5 if you count the tease in the introductory, IF you chose the correct response) but that never concerned me, it's the story that drives me to continue following the narrative, the sex would just be a welcome addition, yet I would still follow this with great interest had there been none at all.

I will be adding this to my favorites list and coming back every second update to enjoy more of the creativity that is being supplied here.

Saying "Good Luck" seems rather redundant by this point, since you seem to have everything clearly thought out and are already well on your way to greatness.

I cannot wait to see what you have in store for future installments.

Post note, Kajia is already my favorite character, though she doesn't have the body type I prefer, even with this personal-choice fault she is still at the top of my list based on the story and history created for her.

Mipecio

Oct 3, 2021
Alright, FINALLY I get a VN that's actually good throughout!

I have been through a couple hundred by now, so when I find one where the dialog doesn't sound like it was written by a retarded gorilla that recently fired his chimpanzee editor, OR the renders/ animation doesn't look like it was created by a drunken lobster, this is refreshing.

The renders first off are top-shelf high quality, every single one, whether it's a character or basic scenery, looks like it was specifically chosen for that particular moment.

A lot of detail was also placed within the story and overall narrative, showing that the creator(s) have a well-planned direction that they are setting forward, and releasing as quickly as their perfectionist selves can manage.

If they continue focusing on this one element or project, without getting distracted by another, I can see it progressing and developing exponentially, which will garner MANY more Patreon subscribers, while putting your name on several lips in their conversation about this very well started project.

I saw one erotic scene (well 1.5 if you count the tease in the introductory, IF you chose the correct response) but that never concerned me, it's the story that drives me to continue following the narrative, the sex would just be a welcome addition, yet I would still follow this with great interest had there been none at all.

I will be adding this to my favorites list and coming back every second update to enjoy more of the creativity that is being supplied here.

Saying "Good Luck" seems rather redundant by this point, since you seem to have everything clearly thought out and are already well on your way to greatness.

I cannot wait to see what you have in store for future installments.

Post note, Kajia is already my favorite character, though she doesn't have the body type I prefer, even with this personal-choice fault she is still at the top of my list based on the story and history created for her.
I agree with you. These are the types of VN games I like and try to search for instead of those VN games where you play as a horny teenager who wants to bang every girl in the game and where the dialogue feels like it was written by a kid with no life experience.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I agree with you. These are the types of VN games I like and try to search for instead of those VN games where you play as a horny teenager who wants to bang every girl in the game and where the dialogue feels like it was written by a kid with no life experience.
[Cries inside and deletes contents of entire hard drive to avoid embarrassment over personal preference in gaming.]

J/k. There are way too many of those games, absolutely.

• Haha
Reactions: Tulrek and Mipecio

nitkonikic

Sep 17, 2018
[Cries inside and deletes contents of entire hard drive to avoid embarrassment over personal preference in gaming.]

J/k. There are way too many of those games, absolutely.
I've played hundreds of games on this site.

Mostly decide on a genre and download whole bunch at once to test them, 9/10 being dropped immediately after testing and never looked back.

Games such as this one, with actual story, characters (despite being only v0.2) and intrigue, I can't stop. I swear I played through it 10x just to see all variations, created 6 save files for future version and stuck to game thread for way longer than I should have.

I do enjoy good H game, but games like this one are a rarity, think that's why some of us are so obsessed with it :)

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I've played hundreds of games on this site.

Mostly decide on a genre and download whole bunch at once to test them, 9/10 being dropped immediately after testing and never looked back.

Games such as this one, with actual story, characters (despite being only v0.2) and intrigue, I can't stop. I swear I played through it 10x just to see all variations, created 6 save files for future version and stuck to game thread for way longer than I should have.

I do enjoy good H game, but games like this one are a rarity, think that's why some of us are so obsessed with it :)
Yep, I'm the same way. I often will read the premise of a game and decide based on that. However, some developers aren't the best at promoting their own games (they aren't all marketers ofc), so I do try to give some others a chance. But great storyline and characters (development / personality more than any other attributes) are most important to me.

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
Hey everyone,

Thanks (again) for all the nice words. To be honest, that's probably what motivates me the most to not only continue but to get better with every chapter.

Great work. Thanks a lot. :love:

how many episodes will the game have?
Ceolag
I don't plan in episodes, but more in "books". Each book has a (somewhat) self-contained storyline with an overarching storyline connecting them. The first book will end with Chapter 4 but that doesn't mean the following books will have 4. For example, Book 1 was initially planned with 3 chapters, but out of the experience with the first 2 chapters, I split the 3rd chapter into 2.

Right now I have 3 "books" planned. I guess it'll be at least 12 chapters (probably a bit more).

Hope that makes any sense to you guys who aren't in my head. :ROFLMAO:

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
The first choice in the game is already so confusing.

When you choose to slap her ass she looks genuinely pissed. If you choose to say good morning, she seems pleased and the player thinks "OK, that was the right choice with her."
However, a minute later you notice that if you slapped her ass she jumps into the shower with you, while she doesn't do so if you were a nice guy. So, as a player I think "Mmm... Ok, she's that kind of woman who likes a little banter, but actually the right choice with her was to slap her ass." Well, a quick look into the games variables shows that you only get +1LP with her if you don't slap her ass. Am I supposed not to spank her if I want this decision to count towards being on her good route? Judging by the following scene, it wouldn't seem so. It's counterintuitive.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

Hildegardt

Oct 18, 2017

When you choose to slap her ass she looks genuinely pissed. If you choose to say good morning, she seems pleased and the player thinks "OK, that was the right choice with her."
However, a minute later you notice that if you slapped her ass she jumps into the shower with you, while she doesn't do so if you were a nice guy. So, as a player I think "Mmm... Ok, she's that kind of woman who likes a little banter, but actually the right choice with her was to slap her ass." Well, a quick look into the games variables shows that you only get +1LP with her if you don't slap her ass. Am I supposed not to spank her if I want this decision to count towards being on her good route? Judging by the following scene, it wouldn't seem so. It's counterintuitive.
It becomes less confusing, when you don't consider the sex scene as a reward.
There are three paths with this character afair. You don't have to max out her LPs, because all three paths can be equally interesting depending on your taste. So you don't have to worry, if you're more interested in the sex scene. Just treat her how you think your PC would want to treat her.

Reactions: Aristos

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
It becomes less confusing, when you don't consider the sex scene as a reward.
There are three paths with this character afair. You don't have to max out her LPs, because all three paths can be equally interesting depending on your taste. So you don't have to worry, if you're more interested in the sex scene. Just treat her how you think your PC would want to treat her.
Thanks for the heads-up.
The problem is that in the game code I see no other Kaija variables other than LP (love points), for example corruption points or something like that, which would have made me realize there were actually different routes with her. Besides, one of the game's achievements involves maxing out her points in ep1, so I thought that suggested that going for full points was the advisable thing to do.

EDIT: Oh and something else. I noticed the water sounds in the shower can't be turned up or down using any of the volume sliders.

nitkonikic

Sep 17, 2018
Thanks for the heads-up.
The problem is that in the game code I see no other Kaija variables other than LP (love points), for example corruption points or something like that, which would have made me realize there were actually different routes with her. Besides, one of the game's achievements involves maxing out her points in ep1, so I thought that suggested that going for full points was the advisable thing to do.
Not to spoil anything, but Kaija has completely different relationship with MC based on points. So definitely just play it the way you like it first time, experiment with scores later if you like the story/characters.

Dialogue on low and high points is quite different, so worth trying both in my opinion.

Reactions: Aristos

Aristos

Forum Fanatic
Dec 28, 2017
Not to spoil anything, but Kaija has completely different relationship with MC based on points. So definitely just play it the way you like it first time, experiment with scores later if you like the story/characters.

Dialogue on low and high points is quite different, so worth trying both in my opinion.
Thank you. I'll definitely do that, and since there's no harem planned for this game, several playthroughs are gonna be mandatory anyway.

hysepReC

Feb 16, 2022
Honestly, the Kaija "friend" route left such a bad taste in my mouth that i don't even want to replay for her "love" route (and if i did it would just be to reject her lol). I think this is the first game i've ever played where fucking your girlfriend is the wrong choice.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018

This is The Neverwhere Tales: A Real-Life Simulator.

nitkonikic

Sep 17, 2018
Honestly, the Kaija "friend" route left such a bad taste in my mouth that i don't even want to replay for her "love" route (and if i did it would just be to reject her lol). I think this is the first game i've ever played where fucking your girlfriend is the wrong choice.
Oh, I was just letting "new player" know there's a difference in dialogue and how Kaija acts depending on score.

Otherwise, yeah, I'm running love route only to tell her "lol, no", in the end (and to see how it all develops, because honestly, love route so far has 2 people suffering because of what happened, whereas friend route has only 1, MC)

Reactions: hysepReC

Tulrek

Oct 25, 2020
Oh, I was just letting "new player" know there's a difference in dialogue and how Kaija acts depending on score.

Otherwise, yeah, I'm running love route only to tell her "lol, no", in the end (and to see how it all develops, because honestly, love route so far has 2 people suffering because of what happened, whereas friend route has only 1, MC)
I have to disagree a bit.
In the friend route, Kaija is touched by this situation. She is sad. I'm NOT saying that she is as hurt as MC but she is suffering also in her way.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I have to disagree a bit.
In the friend route, Kaija is touched by this situation. She is sad. I'm NOT saying that she is as hurt as MC but she is suffering also in her way.
Yep. It can be easy to forget that the MC and Kaija were friends before the mission to watch him began. So even though it's not the same for both of them, she probably feels things like guilt (over how it affected the MC); disappointment (if the MC doesn't forgive her); and loss (if the mission costs her the MC's friendship). Assuming it didn't affect her negatively just because she's not an LI is likely a consequence of getting too attached to your own emotions so you develop tunnel vision.

4.40 star(s) 38 Votes