VN Ren'Py The Neverwhere Tales [v0.4.0] [Ceolag]

4.40 star(s) 38 Votes

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023
I didn't get the alarm clock thing ?
Showing the passage of time during a scene. In many VNs, the clocks never move. On every cash register, the same total is always shown as rung up. The assets are usually static and difficult to change, so it's a detail that frequently gets ignored or is considered too inconsequential for a Dev to care about changing unless it is part of the story line. It's usually good time management not to manage the shown time. ;)

Last edited:

Ceolag

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 6, 2020
I didn't get the alarm clock thing ?
How dare you, I spent probably two hours finding a damn clock where I can change the time. :ROFLMAO:

Showing the passage of time during a scene. In many VNs, the clocks never move. On every cash register, the same total is always shown as rung up. Just a detail that frequently gets ignored or is considered too inconsequential for a Dev to care about changing unless it is part of the story line.
Not necessarily lazy. I have that too in Chapter 1 at the coffee shop. The problem is, that most assets aren't set up to change stuff like that. They use textures that have the total/time/etc baked in. To change that, you need to edit the texture itself. Depending on the asset, you might need to edit several texture maps. Pretty much pixel-perfect because if they don't match, it'll look off.
It's doable for sure, but you need a bit of knowledge in Photoshop and texture maps to do it. I had neither back then. :sneaky:

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023
Not necessarily lazy. I have that too in Chapter 1 at the coffee shop. The problem is, that most assets aren't set up to change stuff like that.
I realize that it isn't something always easily done and that it often isn't unless it is somehow essential - or if you find an asset where it doesn't take an exceedingly long time to do it.

I've seen a couple of VNs where a character notes that they really need a new battery or need to get rid of that clock that no longer works - one eventually replaced a large wall clock (that I think was standard to the kitchen asset) with a piece of art - it was a whole thing! :LOL:

Just one of those little things that, when it isn't a major time sink to do, is fun to see done. And, when it is, it needs to be recognized. :)

Reactions: Ceolag

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023
How dare you, I spent probably two hours finding a damn clock where I can change the time. :ROFLMAO:

Not necessarily lazy. I have that too in Chapter 1 at the coffee shop. The problem is, that most assets aren't set up to change stuff like that. They use textures that have the total/time/etc baked in. To change that, you need to edit the texture itself. Depending on the asset, you might need to edit several texture maps. Pretty much pixel-perfect because if they don't match, it'll look off.
It's doable for sure, but you need a bit of knowledge in Photoshop and texture maps to do it. I had neither back then. :sneaky:
I wouldn't stress too much. I don't think 99% of your reader base cares too much about little details like that.

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023
I just seriously hope some of you never have a job that deals with secret or sensitive information because by some of the logic i'm reading here you'd be telling everyone.
There are ways to make it work with out jeopardising your relationship. It depends what means more to you. Vocation or marriage/serious relationship.

I have a close friend who was offered a Secret Service level job in his country and told them if they want him then his wife has to have clearance as well because he tells her everything. She got her clearance.

When I was appointed to lead a national organisation I had the Board place my wife in a high level position beside me so I was able to be completely honest with her about what I felt I needed to be honest with her about and vice versa.

Although, we both came out of fucked up first marriages that had lots of secrets so we don't do secrets from each other in our relationship so maybe we are weird that way. Shit she even tells me when she gets dick pics. TMI but its the level of honesty in our relationship we want.

Oct 10, 2022
And Helena is smokin' hot, BTW. I don't know what her age is supposed to be (probably mid 30s?), but she's a very nice looking woman - even if her face and hair do give me Taylor Swift vibes....:ROFLMAO:
I know we would have a common ground. She is hot, I agree. :)

Helena is definitely smoking hot and a few of us have a thing for her. Alas she seems relegated to the friend zone only.
I'd be happy to swap her in for Kaija as one of the four LIs.
You'd get angry but I can give up Elea or Medb with Kaija in exchange for Helena. ;)

I just seriously hope some of you never have a job that deals with secret or sensitive information because by some of the logic i'm reading here you'd be telling everyone.
I won't fuck over friends and family for a secret, if you mean that. Having secrets and keeping secrets are different premises. :cautious: Also have you ever heard of War Thunder forums? :LOL:

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
I won't fuck over friends and family for a secret, if you mean that. Having secrets and keeping secrets are different premises. :cautious:
Not like the MC could do much harm with the knowledge of the templars, magic and neverwhere exists, even if he wanted to...no one would believe that either way (and recruiting family members is how templars operate so...).
And it's not like we are talking about revealing all kind of mission or tactical information, nor other cult secrets, just the one that directly involves and endangers him, namely they exist and he is danger cause of his old man.
That being said, i blame the parents way more than Kaija ...i so wanna punch the father straight in his face...just a couple of times :coffee:

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023
I know we would have a common ground. She is hot, I agree. :)

You'd get angry but I can give up Elea or Medb with Kaija in exchange for Helena. ;)

I won't fuck over friends and family for a secret, if you mean that. Having secrets and keeping secrets are different premises. :cautious: Also have you ever heard of War Thunder forums? :LOL:
Not angry at all, I'm tempted to do the same thing. At this stage probably Medb and Kaija, but not Elea. That might change with the next chapter :D. Helena is something special.

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023
That being said, i blame the parents way more than Kaija ...i so wanna punch the father straight in his face...just a couple of times :coffee:
Definitely. If the parents were normal grunts in the Templars then yeah okay I get it. The parents aren't and they knew full well their kids were vulnerable and didn't tell them. Its criminal allowing their children to be at risk without knowing.

Oct 10, 2022
Not angry at all, I'm tempted to do the same thing. At this stage probably Medb and Kaija, but not Elea. That might change with the next chapter :D. Helena is something special.
Give me my Fiona and Helena, I'd be like a dog with two tails. :)

She still did nothing wrong, all in the eye of the beholder.
You went full Joshy, man. Never go full Joshy. ;)

4.40 star(s) 38 Votes