VN Ren'Py The Neverwhere Tales [v0.4.0] [Ceolag]

4.40 star(s) 37 Votes

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
Wow That was a great update more Kaija is always welcome.
I especially liked the gym scene where she trains the mc

Reactions: yossa999

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
Also I see some others don't like Kaija
But to be honest I would throw all other girls out a window if my angel demanded it

Reactions: big_hawg

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Also I see some others don't like Kaija
But to be honest I would throw all other girls out a window if my angel demanded it
I like Kaija, she's deff my main playthrough LI but i'm making her work for it.

I understand why she had to cover up her job but it does mess the trust up. The main reason I didn't break things off is they have known each other for years before getting together and can still make it work IF she doesn't fuck up again.

Joshy92

Devoted Member
Mar 25, 2021
I like Kaija, she's deff my main playthrough LI but i'm making her work for it.

I understand why she had to cover up her job but it does mess the trust up. The main reason I didn't break things off is they have known each other for years before getting together and can still make it work IF she doesn't fuck up again.
Yeah the trust will take a while to build back up
but I think it can be done

It also doesn't hurt I think she is the most beautiful woman in the game

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Thanks A LOT for that long feedback.
Lots of food for thought.
Your point about Neverwhere got me thinking. Especially about how others handled it. And most of the time it's hardly explained why nobody noticed the weird things. If at all. For example the Dresden Files: the main character runs around in modern Chicago blowing up things. The reaction of the authorities? Well, we have that special police department that deals with supernatural shit. We place all kinds of people there, we can't fire them but don't want them in the "serious" departments.
Even when half of that department is shredded into pieces by a mythical creature, the authorities just go "Well, we'll replace the lost guys but we still don't believe in supernatural things."

The Nightside by Simon Green is just... there. No further explanation why the world isn't going crazy over it.

Maybe it's one of those things you just need to accept to enjoy the setting in general.
You're absolutely right, a good explanation for all of it is hard. To the point, it's probably impossible to have answers to all doubts and questions. At least I can't remember about any book series that managed to achieve that.
Yeah, at a certain level the audience just has to suspend their disbelief, but I do think it's important to give them some sort of framework to support that disbelief even if it's not 100% bulletproof.

An example I like that seems very similar to Neverwhere is the Netherworld from the Feng Shui roleplaying game (or the Shadowfist card game). It's a sort of cave network full of danger and wonders, except it's a junction between different time periods rather than different worlds. But Feng Shui provides a simple explanation for why the Netherworld is a secret: the nature of the world conforms to the desires of those who control the most Chi, and the secret rulers of the modern juncture, the Ascended, WANT to be a hidden elite at the top of normal human society. With most of the world's Chi pulling for them, people generally go along with their whims and thus they are able to exert control at all levels of society through a network of 'pledged' agents. Sure, individuals will notice when a cybernetic gorilla piledrives a three-headed demon through a tanker truck, but when the news refuses to report it, the cops assure everyone it was just a terrorist stunt, internet conspiracy theorists claim it was aliens, and even organized crime encourages people to look the other way, it's easy to see why most people would shrug their shoulders and get back to work - especially since the Ascended work very hard to keep that sort of occurrence a rare thing.

As I said, it's not a perfect explanation; the exact degree to which Chi influences a person's attitude is vague and at times inconsistent. But it at least gives us a context that helps us understand how our perceived world fits into the 'true' picture. It also gives us some constraints that demonstrate why people who oppose the Ascended don't just start blabbing about the Netherworld; make too big a nuisance of yourself and the Ascended will single you out as a threat - and they have the resources of the entire world at their beck and call.

Obviously Neverwhere is a different situation, but I think it would still benefit from a better explanation for why human society is largely ignorant of the greater multiverse. I notice Kaija gets a *lot* of flack for lying to the MC; I think people would give her at least a little bit more of a break if we saw clear evidence of WHY that was necessary. If, say, awareness of the supernatural made you more prone to encounter it, or if we knew more about why and how the elite of Neverwhere enforce the masquerade, Kaija's actions would take on a much more nuanced tone.

Then again, I'm already inclined to trust Kaija and I'm the one complaining about the worldbuilding, so take this advice with a grain of salt. Good luck though, your game has a lot of potential!

big_hawg

Jul 3, 2022
OK, that Anissa scene is extremely hidden... it most (99%!) scenarios you do not tell a girl the clothes she's trying on look like shit (or Meh...) :ROFLMAO: .

Reactions: AnonW123

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
Tbh I've lost all interest in Kaija... Not sure how she could possibly be redeemed but yeah oath, duty, any of that crap if it comes before people you are supposed to love then it's not healthy. As for anyone else involved in the cover up or deceit whatever you want to call it they can all get bent too including Dad... so hopefully there is some kind of path where the MC has real choices instead of just do this LI or side character or do that one... Either way will keep an eye on it and see what happens....
Yes, I had about the same impression of her after the first chapter, and the fact that she is a mandatory MC's girlfriend hasn't added to her likability either in my book. Well, I've bitched enough about this earlier in the thread :HideThePain: And my first reaction was also to immediately dump her with all her quirks and bullshits, especially since there are so many beautiful girls around, absolutely stunning Fiona, witty, gentle and fragile Elea, a decent cast of side girls. Damn, even the big-eared creature looks awesome too, right? Who wouldn't want to tame a hot elven woman?

It takes an effort to accept Kaya, you have to constantly remember where she comes from. After all, since her childhood she was raised as a knight of the order, one can only imagine how much of that knightly-nobelty nonsense of all sorts her semi mental-crippled mentors hammered into her head. It might seem like she's maintaining her delusion about what's really important just to annoy the MC. To hell with all these oaths, secrets, moronic rituals, she has to be honest with her soulmate, right? But this is the world in which she has lived since childhood, and she knows no other. She has been taught all her life to serve the Order, to obey and respect the leadership, to believe in their codes and rules, and to always put the interests of the order ahead of her own, even sacrificing herself if necessary.

The MC's dad with the order's council is a rare peace of work I must say. The fucking architects of human souls, my ass. If anyone is to blame for why Kaija acts like this in the beginning, it's them, bunch of old bastards. In fact, the whole life of the girl passes under the supervision of these fanatics. They tell her what to believe, who to serve, where to fight, who to sleep with. Very nice. I don't know if Herbert's “Dune” was one of the inspirations for the author, but these Templars are very similar to the Bene Gesserit in their methods and morals. There is definitely some resemblance between them. No wonder Kaija's ass burned up so brightly when the MC questioned The Order's moral principles and methods in the recent chapter.

In my opinion, the character turned out to be very deep, interesting and believable. At first it seems that she does not care at all about their relationship, but this is clearly her aegis of restraint, developed over a lifetime. With whom should she discuss emotions and feelings, who was supposed to teach her how to express them, if all she did in her life was training in the slaughtering of the supernatural creatures and serving the Order without days off? And yet, she loves the MC, and if he decides to give her a second chance and takes a few steps towards her, she will happily seize this opportunity and sincerely try to make amends for her mistakes and build a relationship with him again.

So, I don't hate her anymore and I'm very interested in seeing her story. There's only one thing about her that bothers me. I can't shake the feeling that her face is a composite of several male and female portraits. Even though I've seen her in the shower, I'm still afraid that she's hiding something under her skirt. :KEK:

Reactions: motseer

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
Yes, I had about the same impression of her after the first chapter, and the fact that she is a mandatory MC's girlfriend hasn't added to her likability either in my book. Well, I've bitched enough about this earlier in the thread :HideThePain: And my first reaction was also to immediately dump her with all her quirks and bullshits, especially since there are so many beautiful girls around, absolutely stunning Fiona, witty, gentle and fragile Elea, a decent cast of side girls. Damn, even the big-eared creature looks awesome too, right? Who wouldn't want to tame a hot elven woman?

It takes an effort to accept Kaya, you have to constantly remember where she comes from. After all, since her childhood she was raised as a knight of the order, one can only imagine how much of that knightly-nobelty nonsense of all sorts her semi mental-crippled mentors hammered into her head. It might seem like she's maintaining her delusion about what's really important just to annoy the MC. To hell with all these oaths, secrets, moronic rituals, she has to be honest with her soulmate, right? But this is the world in which she has lived since childhood, and she knows no other. She has been taught all her life to serve the Order, to obey and respect the leadership, to believe in their codes and rules, and to always put the interests of the order ahead of her own, even sacrificing herself if necessary.

The MC's dad with the order's council is a rare peace of work I must say. The fucking architects of human souls, my ass. If anyone is to blame for why Kaija acts like this in the beginning, it's them, bunch of old bastards. In fact, the whole life of the girl passes under the supervision of these fanatics. They tell her what to believe, who to serve, where to fight, who to sleep with. Very nice. I don't know if Herbert's “Dune” was one of the inspirations for the author, but these Templars are very similar to the Bene Gesserit in their methods and morals. There is definitely some resemblance between them. No wonder Kaija's ass burned up so brightly when the MC questioned The Order's moral principles and methods in the recent chapter.

In my opinion, the character turned out to be very deep, interesting and believable. At first it seems that she does not care at all about their relationship, but this is clearly her aegis of restraint, developed over a lifetime. With whom should she discuss emotions and feelings, who was supposed to teach her how to express them, if all she did in her life was training in the slaughtering of the supernatural creatures and serving the Order without days off? And yet, she loves the MC, and if he decides to give her a second chance and takes a few steps towards her, she will happily seize this opportunity and sincerely try to make amends for her mistakes and build a relationship with him again.

So, I don't hate her anymore and I'm very interested in seeing her story. There's only one thing about her that bothers me. I can't shake the feeling that her face is a composite of several male and female portraits. Even though I've seen her in the shower, I'm still afraid that she's hiding something under her skirt. :KEK:
but
there is more to kajya as it looks
she has clearly a family disaster to solve
remember this mumbling

kja "We {i}do{/i} have courage! We {i}do{/i} value our oaths! We {i}do{/i} have honor!"
mc_t "What the...?"
scene b1_ch3_sc2_kaija_17 with dissolve
kja "We {i}are not{/i} cowards!"

but it will be hard for the mc (me) to accept her again and trust her

Morgan0902

Dec 15, 2022
Hi... I was Wondering if there is an Update only file witch I've failed to find or we just have to download the whole game with every update?

Dark Silence

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 17, 2021
but
remember this mumbling

kja "We {i}do{/i} have courage! We {i}do{/i} value our oaths! We {i}do{/i} have honor!"
mc_t "What the...?"

I haven't played yet, but that to me sounds more like a cadence you learn when in the military service. Or some sort of religious indoctrination.

Yamura

Mar 14, 2019
This one caught me by surprise; honestly think it has potential to be one of the top dozen or so games out there.

Rather than pursuing any particular girl, taking a wait & see approach right now. A lot of story to come, I guess

micojive

Oct 2, 2017
I notice Kaija gets a *lot* of flack for lying to the MC; I think people would give her at least a little bit more of a break if we saw clear evidence of WHY that was necessary.
It isn't even that for me personally. It's that she had this personal oath that she supposedly built her entire life around in this hidden world, chose to break it to save MC and continues to keep secrets after reveling the organization to MC. In the time after the stuff is revealed to MC he tries a few times to either be intimate or to have the talk with her but she blows him off, not having enough time. And when the MC calls her out on it she says she has MORE secrets that she doesnt feel comfortable sharing...

She is with the MC for years, supposedly loves him, breaks her oath which is the most important thing in the world for her and she still cant make time for MC, nah thats a garbage person who doesnt give two shits about you.

Dark Silence

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 17, 2021
She is with the MC for years, supposedly loves him, breaks her oath which is the most important thing in the world for her and she still cant make time for MC, nah thats a garbage person who doesnt give two shits about you.
That sounds more like she feels ashamed for breaking her oath and at some point she'll come to terms with it and then things will change. Give it some time before judging her that way. As I told Boehser Onkel I haven't played yet, so when I do, I may feel differently.

Reactions: Boehser Onkel

micojive

Oct 2, 2017
That sounds more like she feels ashamed for breaking her oath and at some point she'll come to terms with it and then things will change. Give it some time before judging her that way. As I told Boehser Onkel I haven't played yet, so when I do, I may feel differently.
When you play you will see, but she literally says the Oath has always been her #1 thing in her life and her rescuing you was the first time anything seemed more important. So either she actually never cared about as much as she says, or she still doesnt care about you enough to actually open up. Either way I'm out on this game unless a massive 180 happens from her in v4.

Reactions: Dark Silence

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
but
remember this mumbling

mc_t "What the...?"
I see two options for now. She is either elven half-breed who pledged the Order, or she is... No, I don't want to talk about it. This is due to my doubts that her face looks masculine and that she can hide something under her skirt.

Keep it in your pants with other girls, and you're halfway there :) I don't know, my MC will trust her to a certain extent, and won't believe in the slightest the Order's council and their pet dogs like Kevin. The non-dead dad will have to answer questions too, unless the elves cut his throat first. And if the romance path with Kaija doesn't work out, I can always fall back to the Warscared's strategy with girls "have them all, and then share them with friends and family ... and get payed for it!" :KEK:

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
I see two options for now. She is either elven half-breed who pledged the Order, or she is... No, I don't want to talk about it. This is due to my doubts that her face looks masculine and that she can hide something under her skirt.

Keep it in your pants with other girls, and you're halfway there :) I don't know, my MC will trust her to a certain extent, and won't believe in the slightest the Order's council and their pet dogs like Kevin. The non-dead dad will have to answer questions too, unless the elves cut his throat first. And if the romance path with Kaija doesn't work out, I can always fall back to the Warscared's strategy with girls "have them all, and then share them with friends and family ... and get payed for it!" :KEK:
yk there is a fuck scene with her at the start , no?
and she clearly has 2 holes :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: yossa999

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
When you play you will see, but she literally says the Oath has always been her #1 thing in her life and her rescuing you was the first time anything seemed more important. So either she actually never cared about as much as she says, or she still doesnt care about you enough to actually open up. Either way I'm out on this game unless a massive 180 happens from her in v4.
In the version of the game I played, she said that now was not the right time and place for her to reveal this secret, and she would eventually tell him if he was willing to listen to her.

micojive

Oct 2, 2017
In the version of the game I played, she said that now was not the right time and place for her to reveal this secret, and she would eventually tell him if he was willing to listen to her.
Correct, I dont see what you are getting at? She is blatently telling MC that even after everything she still isnt ready to talk about it with him. I dont see how anyone would want to be with a person like that. "honey, I know I have lied about our entire relationship but I need to keep more secrets from you just trust me" No thanks Im good.

Reactions: Boehser Onkel
4.40 star(s) 37 Votes