spebig

Oct 3, 2022
idk what to tell you mate, we're not doing anything shady with the game. it's built with a variant of Ren'Py's nightly build that I compiled myself to enable fast Live2D rendering, I'm guessing that that's created an .exe that Defender isn't consistently recognizing as safe. you'll note that the other 71 AVs tested don't think it's malware

is the report for the Ren'Py build
I wasnt accusing anyone of anything, just addressing potential security risks. Maybe it will help devs so that their games arent flagged in the future or it might help consumers make a more informed decision on whether to download/run the .exe or not.

And as for only 1 vendor flagging the file; I just ran the exe through Crowdstrikes Falcon Sandbox/hybrid analysis to dig a bit deeper and it too found network related "Malicious indicators" (Making HTTPS connections using insecure TLS/SSL version) as well as more suspicious indicators.

Could still be totally safe but it definitely does some things that are out of character in regards to similiar games. Best of luck to everyone!

spebig

Oct 3, 2022
Same thing happened to me, can't open the game. Odd because I didn't get this with versions 0.2b or 0.3b. Additionally, virustotal only gave me this flag, but I've been told before that jiangmin is old af and shouldn't be trusted.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Anyway, is there a way to bypass windows auto quarantine thing? I just got a popup and then the .exe disappeared immediately.

Edit: found the post where I was told about Jiangmin, coincidentally was on the RLE thread: https://f95zone.to/threads/rogue-like-evolution-v1-5h-oni.14/post-10750354
To restore the quarantined files its is usually something like;

Select Virus & threat protection (in windows defender) and then click Protection history
In the list of all recent items, filter on Quarantined Items
Select an item you want to keep, and take action (such as restore, delete, etc)

Reactions: fapderp11

Maddeninggg

Mar 19, 2019
The analysis link is broken btw, but I know Ron has been doing a lot of work to improve the game's optimization and to allow for things like Live2D which afaik is not typical at all for a ren'py game like ones you'd find around here, likely contributing to all these false positives.

There haven't been any reports about issues during the testing phase or from people who got early access.

OUK

May 28, 2017
As far as I can understand the wardrobe has also been updated with an edit function.

Still, the possibility to change an existing outfit is limited as (so far as I can see) you can only edit an existing outfit by changing the name, the context of the outfit (Public, Date etc.) or the colour of the types for an easier visual difference between the different outfits in the queue on the dark grey background, but is it planned to make it possible to edit an outfit also by changing the clothes while keeping the name and the pre-set of the outfit (Private, Date, the colour of the saved preset) itself? At Onis game you can not give an outfit a specific name, but it is more easier to play with different parts of an outfit in an existing custom type and save under the old name of this used/edited custom type (while also still being able to type in a new name).

The camera is also moving automatically to the body part where the changes are taking place (Accessoires, Hair, Upper, Lower). While for the details the camera getting closer is fine, I would like to ask if it would be possible to also change (and keep) a complete view of the girl while playing with different outfits, because not only once I realised that an idea (e.g. bikini top at Rogue with black jeans) does look good in the partially close up (and in my head), but not as good in the complete view.

RandomNumber

Aug 6, 2016
Y'know, I've been getting virus false positives on every single game I find on F95 - with the sole exception of Mega links - for a couple weeks now. I wonder what's going on.

Epigonid

Nov 16, 2023
I downloaded the game via patreon, and even though I have the window alert, I authorized the "malicious" files. I hope it's really a false positive, otherwise I'll send the repair bill to the developer. :p :ROFLMAO:
You can report it on Discord bug section and with your patreon receipt and membership proof, i think the dev will respond faster there because you're patreon member. Thank for supporting the game(y)

CptValor

Oct 8, 2017
i even went so far as to try to download the game from another less reputable site (one of those that asks to you to solve a captcha and takes like 2 hours to download). well i did so and still got the virus alert to ping on the copy from that site as well. so its not the site that the file is being hosted from. theres something in the files that windows defender doesnt like on some machines! ive exhausted the extent of my knowledge on how to figure out whats up! im sure the dev didnt pack a virus in his game and im also sure that the files are the same no matter what site the game is downloaded from so somewhere in-between theres something setting off windows defender on some peoples machines. anyway, its looking like a "false positive" but i dont have any more knowledge of what to do here so someone with more technical knowledge can dig further into it if they want.

Reactions: fapderp11

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
So I see the two usual sets of complaints and "suggestions" again so I'll give the same two responses.

1. The game is indeed unfinished. It is in EARLY BETA and we are still adding content. If you go into this expecting a complete game, then you're going to be disappointed.

2. We are not Rogue-Like Evolution with better graphics. If you expect the game to play like it is, then you're going to be disappointed. In fact, I'm going to poke Ron to remove the trainer tag as we will NOT be adding RLE's corruption and addiction mechanics. Ever.

JoePlant

May 2, 2017
Could still be totally safe but it definitely does some things that are out of character in regards to similiar games. Best of luck to everyone!

This is what I'm wondering. That it is both infected and not infected.

1. I've got infection warnings from some DL sites but then for the "same" file, not others.
2. These sites are NOT singular machines. There are multiple machines that via the front end look like a singular one.
3. Due to this parallel hidden natures, it makes perfect sense to me that some people ARE getting infected and others are not.

We'd have to run a hash on the file in question to see if the value matches as a check. This would be the best way for determination.

edit:
SHA256 per 7zip.
0b68e0cebda5c97559c3f6b3ee65a4607f2fa1960439cbf149b7a40c9eb25881 TheNullHypothesis.exe

Last edited:

Dittymyman

Feb 23, 2019
2. We are not Rogue-Like Evolution with better graphics. If you expect the game to play like it is, then you're going to be disappointed. In fact, I'm going to poke Ron to remove the trainer tag as we will NOT be adding RLE's corruption and addiction mechanics. Ever.
But you know when the game is finished; if someone hypothetically had the determination and know how, there could always be a mod that implements said mechanics... maybe not the addiction, ok it could be a toggle... I mean, um... whoever decides to possibly mod this game should think about a toggle

Reactions: armond

Maddeninggg

Mar 19, 2019
We're fairly sure the issue isn't that the game actually has malware, or that different hosting sites are infecting it. The issue seems to stem from the fact that all the optimizations and changes Ron made to get Live2D to work make it more likely to get false positives.

Reactions: drone4of2

ronchonbon

Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
I've uploaded a new version, 0.3c1, which has all hotfixes built-in. really appreciate everyone's bug reports, they're super helpful!

1. I've got infection warnings from some DL sites but then for the "same" file, not others.
2. These sites are NOT singular machines. There are multiple machines that via the front end look like a singular one.
3. Due to this parallel hidden natures, it makes perfect sense to me that some people ARE getting infected and others are not.

We'd have to run a hash on the file in question to see if the value matches as a check. This would be the best way for determination.

edit:
SHA256 per 7zip.
0b68e0cebda5c97559c3f6b3ee65a4607f2fa1960439cbf149b7a40c9eb25881 TheNullHypothesis.exe
good call on including the SHA256 with the release, I'll do this from now on so you can at the very least feel safe that your version has not been modified since I built it

Jul 28, 2017
Hello everyone Ron releases a new version at 0.3c1
purely bug fixes and don't require anything special other than extracting and running.
and explains the possible reason why many of you are receiving a false positive AV report when trying to launch the game
ron1.JPG
Ronch.JPG

damias

Sep 13, 2020
the 3 i hypothese for chapter 2 are storm (since she is in act 1... ) kitty since collossus is there and hopefully BOOMBOOM(thabitha smith)only person we could say ok boomer and that woulnt get angry,but more seriously she would fit the era...also..a little chaos could be good for a lot of event :D

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 152 Votes