ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
I think "The Boys" and "Invincible" and similar stories are getting closer to a more reality based idea of "what if people had powers and how would it affect the world around them."
In the first Homelander is asked why he can't just lift a falling plane after they discover he lasered the controls and he does make a comment about physics. Like he'd be flying in air, what is he using as leverage to push?

In Invincible Mark and Eve can't go five seconds without realizing that their understanding of the concept of "structural integrity" is non-existent.

Reactions: Mutation8888
May 5, 2022
In the first Homelander is asked why he can't just lift a falling plane after they discover he lasered the controls and he does make a comment about physics. Like he'd be flying in air, what is he using as leverage to push?

In Invincible Mark and Eve can't go five seconds without realizing that their understanding of the concept of "structural integrity" is non-existent.
Depending on the origin of powers in my settings I usually just give things a veneer of science or a set of rules that the powers abide by. I do like what one story i read had though, with one in universe theory being that all Supers possess reality altering powers to a varying degree, explaining why powers can bend if not ouright break the natural; laws.

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
Before the discussion gets a bit too much. A reminder that a gay Null or a female Null is no where near on the horizon.

There's a lot of little reasons but the primary two are time constraints and the budget. Just getting background art costs a lot of $$$ and we're doing a sex art overhaul that will also be including a lot of positions that we had to cut for time. As well as trying to get all the wardrobe pieces back.

If we added either a gay or female Null, we'd basically be doubling the work load adding two dudes and then having to do specific sex and standing art for them and then expanding their wardrobe and then we'd go an entire year without getting the finale of chapter 1 done and over with.

By the time we finish things then the devs would be willing and able to have a serious discussion on going back and seeing if it's viable to do. We'd already have the backgrounds and several character art done so it'd mostly be revisions. Though that's relying on if we're not tired of working on Null for so long.

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
I do like what one story i read had though, with one in universe theory being that all Supers possess reality altering powers to a varying degree, explaining why powers can bend if not ouright break the natural; laws.
There's a CRPG called Arcanum. Basically the Industrial Revolution happens and it's great... except that it's a magical setting and magic fundamentally relies on altering the laws of physics. Like casting a fire ball from nothing but mana. That is inconceivable by modern science. So say you're on a train and a mage decides to not waste a match on a cigarette. He just accidentally derailed the train because fucking with kinetic energies required for that fire... Which is a thing that happened in universe and now all mages have to sit in the back of the train away from the engine and some mages who are too powerful are banned from riding trains period.

May 5, 2022
There's a CRPG called Arcanum. Basically the Industrial Revolution happens and it's great... except that it's a magical setting and magic fundamentally relies on altering the laws of physics. Like casting a fire ball from nothing but mana. That is inconceivable by modern science. So say you're on a train and a mage decides to not waste a match on a cigarette. He just accidentally derailed the train because fucking with kinetic energies required for that fire... Which is a thing that happened in universe and now all mages have to sit in the back of the train away from the engine and some mages who are too powerful are banned from riding trains period.
Loved that game, one of the first fanfics I ever read turned out to be about that game. It very much reminded me of the Abhorsen books by Garth Nix in certain aspects which was fine by me.

More on topic though, since Null's nullification seems to only work on Mutants, would it be able to do anything to Jean or another Mutant Phoenix host? Since the Phoenix force in and of itself seems to not manifest only in Mutants(ish), if counting off planet hosts.

EDIT: The bottom bit is not meant for anyone in particular.

Last edited:

drifter139

Dec 11, 2019
I would assume not.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

But we're still learning about Nulls powers, so who knows?
there's a difference though. Juggernaut's powers aren't a mutation and even if the Phoenix force is different from a mutant power, it still resides in a mutant which means her other powers can be nullified

May 5, 2022
there's a difference though. Juggernaut's powers aren't a mutation and even if the Phoenix force is different from a mutant power, it still resides in a mutant which means her other powers can be nullified
That does beg the question if the Phoenix Force would provide abilities in addition to the mutant powers or amplify/change existing powers, at least when those powers overlap with the Phoenix Forces sphere of influence.

Nosurrender

Jun 7, 2017
It seems to me that Null is kinda op for his own universe. With his addition to the field team, lots of story arcs should be solved super easy, barely an inconvenient. Proteus, magneto, apocalypse, onslaught. Just have Null and a few persons with regular guns and it is over.

I giggle thinking about Bishop absorbing all kind of attacks, then Null doing is thing sees Bishop burn, freeze, explode, implode, electrocute disintegrate, etc at the same time.

Also making Chamber dissipate.

drifter139

Dec 11, 2019
We haven't seen Null interact with any cosmic entities
yes but the Phoenix force still needs a physical body and with Jean being a mutant, Null should be able to have some effect on it. maybe not a big effect but a minor one would still be possible

Sexdrake

Aug 31, 2020
I've been craving Midnight Suns again since I've played this game. If anyone hasn't tried it, I would recommend that. It's not an adult game, but if you have any interest in card games, turn-based games or Marvel, I think you'll enjoy it.

Sayajin2205

Apr 21, 2022

Homelander could have definitely saved the plane crash tho if he gripped the plane from the landing gear.

The nose gear is designed to support half the plane safely. It can easily be used to bring the nose level so the airfoil of the wings could go back to working and reduce the weight on him as well as slow descent. There was a good chance of it working.But homelander ass is stupid.

Epigonid

Nov 16, 2023
I've been craving Midnight Suns again since I've played this game. If anyone hasn't tried it, I would recommend that. It's not an adult game, but if you have any interest in card games, turn-based games or Marvel, I think you'll enjoy it.
Love the game story and our character interaction with marvel character

Reactions: Sexdrake

falafelswoop

Oct 4, 2019
It seems to me that Null is kinda op for his own universe. With his addition to the field team, lots of story arcs should be solved super easy, barely an inconvenient. Proteus, magneto, apocalypse, onslaught. Just have Null and a few persons with regular guns and it is over.
And don't forget dating 3 hot girls at once! It's like he's someone's self-insert fantasy or something...:whistle:

Really though, remember they'll only have the element of surprise about once. Next time their opponents will bring Kevlar. Magneto already wears a helmet...
Homelander could have definitely saved the plane crash tho if he gripped the plane from the landing gear.

The nose gear is designed to support half the plane safely. It can easily be used to bring the nose level so the airfoil of the wings could go back to working and reduce the weight on him as well as slow descent. There was a good chance of it working.But homelander ass is stupid.
Or ignorant, at least. I don't think the average person knows these facts about airplane structural integrity.

This does raise an interesting minor worldbuilding possibility - what information is useful for superheroes that isn't part of a normal person's education? How to save a falling airplane with your bare hands is material that would be found in that curriculum and pretty much nowhere else. Alongside topics like how to stall or plug a volcano without making it just erupt out the side or something, and purely fantastical ones like what metals can be used for psi defense.

SolSpell

May 1, 2022
Nah he's not op, at least not the Null aspect by itself, the sprouting new mutations as needed might be, if it didn't put him in a coma every time. Any villain worth his salt could just keep you at bay with a long stick or something.

If Null synchronized with Nightcrawler though it would be a great combo.

Dazzier31

Jul 24, 2019

I giggle thinking about Bishop absorbing all kind of attacks, then Null doing is thing sees Bishop burn, freeze, explode, implode, electrocute disintegrate, etc at the same time.

Also making Chamber dissipate.
While the ideas you propose are hilarious and I wanna add Apocalypse suddenly crumbling to dust the second he is touched to that list, remember that for that Null needs to actually get close enough to them, hard to nullify Magneto when you can't get close without a manhole cover hitting you from the sides at 40 mph.

Also we have seen what happens if you suddenly take away Chambers power, it was not pretty.

4.60 star(s) 152 Votes