Jul 9, 2022
About the faces, I think Kirara is talking about the lighting and how the shadows frame Jean's face?
jean.PNG

I don't really agree, but I can see how that could come across as ominous.

Reactions: Crichton

thundersamaz

Jun 29, 2020
I've never read the comics (they didn't circulate here back then), so all I know about x-men was from the evo cartoon, way back then. If I remember right, she can snap and kick our shit in, so ominous is fitting lmao.

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
Will we have some wacky Irish people in the game? Banshee? Or even better his redhead semen demon of a saughter, Siryn?
That accent...
You got me at redhead semen demon. Sign me up.
P.S.: Totally sign off on Siryn being in the game. I also have a weakness for redheads!
Yes the dev team has said if they got speaking roles, they would have an accent.

As an Irish person, explain to me what an Irish accent sounds like, without it (a) becoming Scottish, (b) becoming cliched or (c) becoming a little bit offensive.
Would you be willing to consult? I'm sure you could help us make it less stereotypical than what the comics did.

This goes out to pretty much anyone who would be willing to assist with characters such as Nightcrawler and Colossus.

it might help if i actually watched any of these other than the original 90's cartoon
The 90s cartoon is actually more representative as we're attempting to steer away from Evolution and more into comics.

Reactions: Evil13

VenomusPL

Jul 1, 2019
But why make it less of a stereotype?
The game is not for linguistic phd's or some other autisms that it's not 100% faithful on how people speek, but to the fans of the80s,90s and Evolution guys, right?

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
But why make it less of a stereotype?
The game is not for linguistic phd's or some other autisms that it's not 100% faithful on how people speek, but to the fans of the80s,90s and Evolution guys, right?
1. We want it to be readable for most people. Even I have trouble with Kurt and I helped write him :ROFLMAO:

2. While I personally don't care if some people dislike it, someone disagreed with Rogue's accent, I rather not turn off an entire demographic of potential players.

someyoungguy

May 10, 2023
While I personally don't care if some people dislike it, someone disagreed with Rogue's accent, I rather not turn off an entire demographic of potential players.
I only remember one person disliking Rogue's accent, and they were claiming to be from the southern US while making demonstrably false claims about southern accents. IIRC, other people called him on this, tried to give him an opportunity to clarify in case he was being misunderstood, and then he doubled down and eventually just said your writing would be shit if you kept writing her that way and left. I've lived in five southern states, and while I'd agree her accent would be wrong if you're just going for a more generic southern accent, the type of accent you've used for Rogue (and that is usually canonically used or described that she uses) is pretty common in certain types of places in some parts of the south, and Rogue is from one of those types of places. Even in the discussion that came up previously, I think people mentioned having known people who speak that way.

As far as stereotypical southern accents go, one of the weirdest things I've ever experienced after many years of wondering how TV and film southern accents can be so wrong when there are so many that it seems like it would almost work better if they just mashed up a bunch different southern accents into one technically incorrect and kinda bad but still almost accurate one, was traveling through Montana and Idaho. Almost everyone I met there spoke with what seemed like a really bad stereotypical southern accent. It was kinda surreal

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
I just notice that Rogue uses a Nine Inch Nails t-shirt, either the artist or the dev who solicited this is a person of culture.
NIN's music has been popular for around 30 years and they've long been an easy band to reference in other media. And ever since X-men Evolution, its been fandom headcanon that Rogue would listen to them, as evidenced by this piece, that I think dates back to the early 2000s.
724787cc1949eb1f8cfe0f33c3e128bc4954f223.jpg

Buttholder

Feb 25, 2022
Hell, there were early discussions in this very thread about her tastes in music and NIN was one of the first bands mentioned, it's as much a no-brainer as everyone assuming Wolverine's drink of choice is Jack and Coke. Some things just fit

MusicVideoGuy

Feb 28, 2018
NIN was one of the first bands mentioned
Skynyrd is the other obvious one I'd think.

Speaking of Trent's hard-drinking tourmates of the time I'd be shocked if she didn't have any Type O Negative or Pantera in her collection somewhere. Ditto for Ministry or Sisters of Mercy. Maybe Bauhaus too or even Siouxsie and the Banshees.

Reactions: twoEyedCyclops
Jul 9, 2022
I'd add Joy Division, the Cure, and Sonic Youth to that list. Maybe Daughters, Iceage, Death Grips, or Black Country New Road if for something a little more recent, but that's iffy.

ShinyBoots1993

Apr 7, 2020
Skynyrd is the other obvious one I'd think.

Speaking of Trent's hard-drinking tourmates of the time I'd be shocked if she didn't have any Type O Negative or Pantera in her collection somewhere. Ditto for Ministry or Sisters of Mercy. Maybe Bauhaus too or even Siouxsie and the Banshees.
I'd add Joy Division, the Cure, and Sonic Youth to that list. Maybe Daughters, Iceage, Death Grips, or Black Country New Road if for something a little more recent, but that's iffy.
We don't want to get a cease and desist from like 7 music labels :ROFLMAO:

Also have another preview.
View attachment Phone_preview.webm

Crimx42

Jul 7, 2017
Not making that mistake again lmao :ROFLMAO:

Once we get in a few releases we'll start doing roadmaps and stuff but we tried doing release dates and release windows and it backfired on us. We are grateful for how forgiving the community has been on that though! :love:
I think this first demo release was a pretty good thing
It really was like 6 months with no updates, and it really did seem that it was become vaporware

All I'm saying is, I'ma come knocking again in November

4.60 star(s) 152 Votes