Others Abandoned The Orc's Tale [v0.04] [tl101]

4.20 star(s) 6 Votes

tl101

Aug 30, 2021
Hey, how's the development going?
Development in progress. The previous deadlines I called were, of course, overly optimistic, but now I can already see the finish line. The first part of what remains to be done concerns the main events. I've split this up into a list of smaller tasks, each of which can be done in about an hour. Right now there are just under thirty tasks left on that list. So if I can manage to work on the game for 7-8 hours a day, by the end of the week all of the main eventers will be finished.
The second part is a minigame. I hope to be able to finish it in about a week, too. So you should expect the release around the middle of March.

I took some time and learned how to significantly speed up character rendering. At the very beginning of development, I decided that the characters had to be rendered into the scene. That is, not just the image of the character and the background behind him, but he should be exactly inside the scene, cast shadows on objects, etc. This solution led to the fact that now I need to render every character in every scene for every time of day with every emotion and pose. Luckily, a way I found allows me to render characters much faster - those images that took me hours to render are now rendered in minutes. True, some of the shadows look a little strange, but I hope this will not be too striking.
That's exactly the recipe I hadn't seen, so I'll cite it here. It may be of interest to those who also render images for visual novels in Daz Studio.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Nov 12, 2019
Development in progress. The previous deadlines I called were, of course, overly optimistic, but now I can already see the finish line. The first part of what remains to be done concerns the main events. I've split this up into a list of smaller tasks, each of which can be done in about an hour. Right now there are just under thirty tasks left on that list. So if I can manage to work on the game for 7-8 hours a day, by the end of the week all of the main eventers will be finished.
The second part is a minigame. I hope to be able to finish it in about a week, too. So you should expect the release around the middle of March.

I took some time and learned how to significantly speed up character rendering. At the very beginning of development, I decided that the characters had to be rendered into the scene. That is, not just the image of the character and the background behind him, but he should be exactly inside the scene, cast shadows on objects, etc. This solution led to the fact that now I need to render every character in every scene for every time of day with every emotion and pose. Luckily, a way I found allows me to render characters much faster - those images that took me hours to render are now rendered in minutes. True, some of the shadows look a little strange, but I hope this will not be too striking.
That's exactly the recipe I hadn't seen, so I'll cite it here. It may be of interest to those who also render images for visual novels in Daz Studio.

Is there anything we your fanbase can do to help you out?

Reactions: tl101

newguy42

Feb 21, 2020
That looks great! Thank you for the update. Its really impressive how organized you are with the development. I've really enjoyed your first two releases, and looking forward to the next one.

tl101

Aug 30, 2021
Is there anything we your fanbase can do to help you out?
Thanks for the suggestion, but the 0.03 release cannot be approached. I'm already working on it as fast as I can. Globally, you can describe your user experience and any things you don't like, so I can make the game more user friendly. You are welcome to give your ideas about what you want to add to the game.
And support on patreon of course. The main reason I'm making this game is I want to make a game with a male/monster protagonist in which you have to win to get sex scenes, and that you can play many times and it won't get boring. The main reason why I'm uploading this game to the internet, I want to earn some money. It's no secret. But I think it is unacceptable to ask for it.

Jun 26, 2020
The main reason why I'm uploading this game to the internet, I want to earn some money.
if that’s your main goal for uploading then you should probably be more active on your patreon. Looking at your page, your patrons haven’t been given the development updates that you have given here or even teasers.

Excluding some of the more manipulative devs that string along their supporters, the really successful games with huge supporters are from devs who not only make a quality game but are also active among their community like Parodos with Goblin layer and What? Why? Games with Power Vacuum.

tl101

Aug 30, 2021
if that’s your main goal for uploading then you should probably be more active on your patreon. Looking at your page, your patrons haven’t been given the development updates that you have given here or even teasers.

Excluding some of the more manipulative devs that string along their supporters, the really successful games with huge supporters are from devs who not only make a quality game but are also active among their community like Parodos with Goblin layer and What? Why? Games with Power Vacuum.
One of the main principles I follow is that I don't want to limit access to content for people who would like to support the game but can't. Or those who are interested but not enough to support the game on Patreon. So I won't have patron-only posts, and I won't have separate public and patron-only releases. When I posted the first progress report after the 0.01 release, I thought about duplicating it here and on Patreon. Patreon rules require such a post to be for patrons only as it contains 18+ images. I thought someone who sees this post might decide to become a patron to see the content and then see the same thing here and feel cheated. I wouldn't want that.

I see that a lot of people follow the development news of other games here, and the posts from Patreon are copied here for that purpose. That's why I see Patreon solely as a fundraising platform and communicate in this forum. (If anyone feels more comfortable reading news on Patreon, write me, I'll duplicate them there)

I'm not a manager, I'm a programmer. And I try first and foremost to make a good game. I want people to make a decision to support development based on the result they see. Not based on promises, teasers and stuff like that. And I still hope that in the future my approach will bear fruit and I will be able to devote all my time to developing the game. And if it doesn't, then later on I will think how to become a good manager :)

Jun 26, 2020
One of the main principles I follow is that I don't want to limit access to content for people who would like to support the game but can't. Or those who are interested but not enough to support the game on Patreon. So I won't have patron-only posts, and I won't have separate public and patron-only releases. When I posted the first progress report after the 0.01 release, I thought about duplicating it here and on Patreon. Patreon rules require such a post to be for patrons only as it contains 18+ images. I thought someone who sees this post might decide to become a patron to see the content and then see the same thing here and feel cheated. I wouldn't want that.

I see that a lot of people follow the development news of other games here, and the posts from Patreon are copied here for that purpose. That's why I see Patreon solely as a fundraising platform and communicate in this forum. (If anyone feels more comfortable reading news on Patreon, write me, I'll duplicate them there)

I'm not a manager, I'm a programmer. And I try first and foremost to make a good game. I want people to make a decision to support development based on the result they see. Not based on promises, teasers and stuff like that. And I still hope that in the future my approach will bear fruit and I will be able to devote all my time to developing the game. And if it doesn't, then later on I will think how to become a good manager :)
Your approach is fine and I’m not saying you should do patreon only posts. I’m just saying the same updates and photos given here can also be copy and pasted there. For example, say I become your supporter but I also stop using this site. Then on patreon the last update to the page I would see is the release in December and maybe I’d worry the game was cancelled. Posting the updates here help you get supporters while posting the same updates there can help you keep them.

tl101

Aug 30, 2021
News about the update.
The update is coming in the next few days. I'm already afraid to give any specific deadlines, but hopefully I'll be finished in time for this weekend. I'm dropping the idea of adding a minigame to this update so as not to put it off even further. So at this point, I only have the dialogs left to finish.
I am sorry for the delay, development doesn't always go according to plan.

Nov 12, 2019
News about the update.
The update is coming in the next few days. I'm already afraid to give any specific deadlines, but hopefully I'll be finished in time for this weekend. I'm dropping the idea of adding a minigame to this update so as not to put it off even further. So at this point, I only have the dialogs left to finish.
I am sorry for the delay, development doesn't always go according to plan.
Awesome was starting to worry this game was going to get abandoned.

TheCragger

Aug 14, 2021
Interesting update. Glad to see you are still working on this as it's so rare to get to play a 'monster' protagonist/antagonist. It was nice to see some variety in the girl's body types though I certainly would like to see some thicker and curvier ones to, or perhaps you have plans for transforming some of them through breeding/potions? Really neat to see how your own engine is developing a lot more refined the the .1

newguy42

Feb 21, 2020
Thanks for the update, it was totally worth the wait for me! I especially loved the
scene.

The jokes you wrote are good too lol. They translate well.

Speaking of translations, you mentioned that writing the dialog was harder for you than you expected. Is that something that I, or other people who enjoy your game, could help with? I haven't done this before, but I'd be happy to check the grammar on translates the that you write, or even try to write dialog based off your notes.

Reactions: pacolel and tl101

tl101

Aug 30, 2021
Interesting update. Glad to see you are still working on this as it's so rare to get to play a 'monster' protagonist/antagonist. It was nice to see some variety in the girl's body types though I certainly would like to see some thicker and curvier ones to, or perhaps you have plans for transforming some of them through breeding/potions? Really neat to see how your own engine is developing a lot more refined the the .1
With transformation potions I planned to change the protagonist's appearance: make him tentacle-like; make him very small, so he could slip into interesting places; make him invisible, to touch on the theme of hidden sex; make him additional types of dicks; combinations of the above...
And the fact that transformation potions could be used on girls never occurred to me. That's a great idea. I could take some girl and temporarily make her thick for some one event. I plan to do that now, thanks for the idea. I don't know when I'll do it, but I will.
P.S. Of course pregnancy is planned, but I don't think that's quite what you were asking about.

tl101

Aug 30, 2021
Speaking of translations, you mentioned that writing the dialog was harder for you than you expected. Is that something that I, or other people who enjoy your game, could help with? I haven't done this before, but I'd be happy to check the grammar on translates the that you write, or even try to write dialog based off your notes.
The fact is that my workflow is structured in such a way that I write the dialogue text last. Therefore, additional grammar checks will simply delay the release. I myself can't assess how necessary it is. Maybe it makes sense to make two versions - preliminary (what I posted now) and with a grammar check? I don't know.

Regarding help writing dialogues - I want to do all the work myself. I understand that you want to help and it's a good offer, and that if I agree, it will benefit the game, but I'm just such a person. I want to learn how to do it well myself. Sorry.

Reactions: newguy42

newguy42

Feb 21, 2020
I think a grammar check would help in places, but I personally don't think that's necessary. The MTL honestly seems to do pretty good. And I totally understand wanting to do things yourself, I would be the same way. Just thought I'd offer.

Last edited:
4.20 star(s) 6 Votes