BABaracus

Feb 2, 2018
Here is a post for wrapping up this game which I motivated myself to write to not repeat issues in my next game:

Things I would do differently next time

After completing my first published game The Princess And The Tower, here is what I would do differently the next time.
Experienced devs will probably tell me that is "Captain Obvious" stuff, but I wished I had done it from the start in my first game.

Some facts

• Game style was a point and click adventure (NSFW) with some minigames / strategy elements
  • The game was a renpy game, but mostly written directly in python (70%)
  • Did not count the code, but probably 20.000 lines of code and 10.000 lines of renpy dialogue
  • It was a single person project and I spent about 700 hours on it for 7 months or so (was kind of a holiday project)
  • Art was done with Blender, DAZ and Photoshop.
  • Sounds/music I used available assets.
  • It was released in 7 monthly releases with incremental content updates.
What I will do better from the start next time

• Proper Art Asset Management (in SDE and in game folders): "OCD-ish" naming convention for all dev files and finished assets, properly structured subfolders and asset "house cleaning" every month or so. At the end I couldn't find assets, had inconsistencies across 3D character and item files and also only one flat in-game folder with a zillion image files.
  • Quest System I: Use a state based quest system from the start, high quest granularity, "auto-update" layer that runs through the state machines and quest DB instead ofrelying to kick off individual quest transitions in the code. Also use the state transitions to autofill quest / help logs and direct control flow. Introduced that from V0.7, had to rewrite the old crappy quest code for weeks and wish I'd done that from the start.
  • Quest System II: Bundle all quest data objects (which include title, quest help text, trigger and completion conditions) in a single file, so I can "write" the quest logic in one single location and not lose track
  • Grinding/Convenience: Consider players with no beforehand game knowledge / replay experience and make quick progression not so dependent on game experience. Maybe add some redundant pointers to dialogues to push new players in the right direction
  • Appeal/Accessability: More "visual" aids for the NSFW appeal (not everyone can run scenes 'in his/her' head). And of course more animations are always welcome.
  • Game Flow: When doing multiple endings, plan them properly, make sure there is no interweaving of endgame quest-lines or secret items that unlock endings without mentioning them. This was quite messy for endings two and three and also the cause for a bunch of softlocks, player frustration and the need for bugfixversion (which was 0.9c), etc.
What went well and I'll do it again

• CRM: OCD-ish state based CRQ list (any excel list will do, ...) with target version planning, effort estimates, CRQ-state
  • Testing: Find interested and capable Beta Testers, which help greatly in meeting deadlines
  • Planning: "Release date first", postpone content elements to next update if schedule would slip
  • Staggered release (beta testers -> patreon power users -> all patreon users ->public) to not be flooded with feedback & bugs
  • Story: Focus on few characters rather than a large bunch of forgettable randos
  • Feedback: Collect feedback on dev sites to content & features. Sites I used for that were F95Zone, itch.io and of course Patreon, definitely worth engaging there with the community
Maybe there is more, but this is what came to mind. The whole marketing / promotion angle I didn't assess, probably could have done most there to (was far away from 10-15% of time and earnings rule of thumb)

I published the game to force myself to finish something and not leave it 20% done (as my previous non published stuff) and move on to the next thing. That part worked :)

Thanks to everyone for feedback to the game and suggestions!
Seriously appreciate the self-critical but very professional attitude with which you tackled this! While it wasn't a perfect game (and why would it need to be?) it was a really good one from start to finish with great art, quests, humor, ideas.
Really looking forward to your next one!

yv0751

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
I don't see any "Use portal" button.
Let me chime in here:

The option to use the portal becomes available _after_ you have paid the guild debt (with the pay guild button in the Lower hallway) and receive the second letter. Prior to that the portal cannot be used.

Maybe that is the reason (code quote below)

Code:
    "Use Portal", "GAME.questSys.isDone('QID_ILLIANA_PORTALOPEN') and 'intro nyx' in GAME.mc.done"
If you have paid the guild and have received the second letter, and do not see the portal, your game must be corrupted.

Reactions: Hermenegild

brightawake

Nov 16, 2022
I am completely stuck on the butt plug quest.
I ask Irith to help Nyx, but she refuses because she has no experience with plugs (as expected).
I try to give her a steel plug - she refuses (as expected). I've read here that you need to buy her a pink plug, but I don't see it in the shop.
I added the pink plug to my inventory using the cheat code, but Irith refuses the pink plug as well (it triggers the same "Eeeek!" dialogue.

t_jay17

Aug 24, 2016
How do you get her to take the crystal butt plug she constantly refuses and I talk to everyone but no one says anything about it.

yv0751

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
I am completely stuck on the butt plug quest.
I ask Irith to help Nyx, but she refuses because she has no experience with plugs (as expected).
I try to give her a steel plug - she refuses (as expected). I've read here that you need to buy her a pink plug, but I don't see it in the shop.
I added the pink plug to my inventory using the cheat code, but Irith refuses the pink plug as well (it triggers the same "Eeeek!" dialogue.
You will get this reply if Irith's SLU is not high enough and/or she has not done the belt removal (short reprieve)

yv0751

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
How do you get her to take the crystal butt plug she constantly refuses and I talk to everyone but no one says anything about it.
My walkthrough is a bit vague there so:

1. send Illiana hers, chat with her, wait for two night until Gwynn talks to you in the morning
  2. offer Nyx one, she refuses
  3. chat with Nyx again in the evening, she refuses
  4. go to Irith and as her for assistance
  5. ...

t_jay17

Aug 24, 2016
My walkthrough is a bit vague there so:

1. send Illiana hers, chat with her, wait for two night until Gwynn talks to you in the morning
  2. offer Nyx one, she refuses
  3. chat with Nyx again in the evening, she refuses
  4. go to Irith and as her for assistance
  5. ...
I've done all this and there is never the option for Irith to give assistance

yv0751

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
I've done all this and there is never the option for Irith to give assistance
Can you post your save game? I want to have a closer look.
This might be the one bug never managed to find (there was a similar issue reported before)

brightawake

Nov 16, 2022
You will get this reply if Irith's SLU is not high enough and/or she has not done the belt removal (short reprieve)
SLU: 10, SUB: 20. I've completed the brothel training.
I can't enter the second combination because I can't give her a butt plug.

yv0751

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
SLU: 10, SUB: 20. I've completed the brothel training.
I can't enter the second combination because I can't give her a butt plug.
SLU is too low I think. Brothel is SUB path, so not related.
Finish the deepthroat training, then SLU should be higher / high enough (check the new walkthrough)

Reactions: brightawake

kilian87

Dec 9, 2018
ow, wow! Good that you've found this. I don't think any hints where given earlier for this. So good catch! Thanks again :)
can you explain how to find the answers for the spider in short i don't understand how to find answer

3.90 star(s) 52 Votes