• or one larger update once / month?

Votes: 1,745 90.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pixieblink

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Jul 13, 2019
Ya, I get it. New name, clean break and all.
But I'm thinking there's already enough confusion without changing things around. Again.

Of course I could be wrong. Opinions solicited.

Pixieblink

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Jul 13, 2019
could someone compress it please ?

I did. Resulted in a size savings of... less than 1%.
Game is already using compressed jpg and webm, the rest of it is all txt. Not much left to compress.

Anybody can do better, please let me know.

Reactions: oste22

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017

Pixieblink

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Jul 13, 2019
Have you tried compressing with webp? It typically gives better size than jpg at the same image quality.

https://f95zone.to/threads/cruncher-renpy-rpgm-mv-game-compactor-v0-4-1-bas.10227/
I DID look into it, but it's proprietary (owned by Google) and they make it very clear that they're reserving the right to charge for it, even though it's free for now.

What are the chances they change their TOS and start charging once they get it established? About... 100% in my opinion.

But thanks for the suggestion!

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I DID look into it, but it's proprietary (owned by Google) and they make it very clear that they're reserving the right to charge for it, even though it's free for now.

What are the chances they change their TOS and start charging once they get it established? About... 100% in my opinion.

But thanks for the suggestion!
It's not proprietary - it's open source, released under the BSD license. While Google could fork it and release a proprietary version, or charge for a future implementation, they can't retroactively charge people who are using current or past implementations, or keep people from using those, or other programs built with the open source code.

IANAL, but my job requires me to deal with open source lawyers on licensing issues. I am confident in this assessment.

Pixieblink

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Jul 13, 2019
It's not proprietary - it's open source, released under the BSD license. While Google could fork it and release a proprietary version, or charge for a future implementation, they can't retroactively charge people who are using current or past implementations, or keep people from using those, or other programs built with the open source code.

IANAL, but my job requires me to deal with open source lawyers on licensing issues. I am confident in this assessment.

You are 100% right.

After reading your message I had second thoughts about my 'I dont wanna pay google someday' stance and decided to take a second look at webp. Even found a gui to make life easier. Did a bit of reading before switching things around.

Tried it out. Works great. Shaved 40-60% off the best I can do with compressed jpg with very comparable end results. Without mucking up the reds, as jpg tends to do. And it integrates seamlessly with Renpy

I just logged in to let you know and say thanks and saw this msg :)

So
1. Thanks!
2. You were right.
3. I was... not right? hahaha I hate the W word.

Thanks to you I managed to shave almost 200mb off a 2.8gb game. I'm not being sarcastic, it really does help.
Too bad for me that 90% of my game size is video. But it will work wonders for anyone that has a game that's mostly stills.

I'm using webm with sound, have got the videos down to about 1.3 mb/s at 720. There's just a LOT of them.
Any helpful tips? :)

And thanks again for the original reply.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
You are 100% right.

After reading your message I had second thoughts about my 'I dont wanna pay google someday' stance and decided to take a second look at webp. Even found a gui to make life easier. Did a bit of reading before switching things around.

Tried it out. Works great. Shaved 40-60% off the best I can do with compressed jpg with very comparable end results. Without mucking up the reds, as jpg tends to do. And it integrates seamlessly with Renpy

So
1. Thanks!
2. You were right.

Thanks to you I managed to shave almost 200mb off a 2.8gb game. I'm not being sarcastic, it really does help.
Too bad for me that 90% of my game size is video. But it will work wonders for anyone that has a game that's mostly stills.

I'm using webm with sound, have got the videos down to about 1.3 mb/s at 720. There's just a LOT of them.

You're welcome!

I don't know what a decent size per second for a video is. I'd suggest using webm, but you're already doing that. Changing settings might help, but again, I don't know what decent settings would be. Check out bas ' Cruncher at https://f95zone.to/threads/cruncher-renpy-rpgm-mv-game-compactor-v0-4-1-bas.10227/ . The settings in the bat file might help.

bas, any suggestions for webm settings?

Reactions: bas

bas

retired
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
Here's my crunched version.

Image/audio/video quality is reduced to make shit smaller. This is not a perfect process and sometimes can break a game. You've been warned so no bitching.

The Professor [v1.2 Remastered] [Pixieblink] - Original Size: 1.99GB

Download PC (220MB): - - -

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: HK51

bas

retired
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
You are 100% right.

So
1. Thanks!
2. You were right.

If you look at my cruncher tool, you can change the quality settings and use it to process all your videos. The version I posted using the standard settings reducing the file-size by almost 90% with very little decrease in quality.

You're welcome!

I don't know what a decent size per second for a video is. I'd suggest using webm, but you're already doing that. Changing settings might help, but again, I don't know what decent settings would be. Check out bas ' Cruncher at https://f95zone.to/threads/cruncher-renpy-rpgm-mv-game-compactor-v0-4-1-bas.10227/ . The settings in the bat file might help.

webm is a container, just like mkv so you can use several codecs in a webm. vp9 is the most efficient that is currently supported by Ren'Py, and this is what cruncher uses.

Reactions: HK51

Pixieblink

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Jul 13, 2019
You're welcome!

I don't know what a decent size per second for a video is. I'd suggest using webm, but you're already doing that. Changing settings might help, but again, I don't know what decent settings would be. Check out bas ' Cruncher at https://f95zone.to/threads/cruncher-renpy-r
If you look at my cruncher tool, you can change the quality settings and use it to process all your videos. The version I posted using the standard settings reducing the file-size by almost 90% with very little decrease in quality.

webm is a container, just like mkv so you can use several codecs in a webm. vp9 is the most efficient that is currently supported by Ren'Py, and this is what cruncher uses.
pgm-mv-game-compactor-v0-4-1-bas.10227/ . The settings in the bat file might help.

2gb to 200mb ?!?!?!?
Running it now. It's chewing the hell out of a 32-core threadripper....

Reactions: gorgone

Pixieblink

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Jul 13, 2019

Ya, monkeyed around with it to get the best results I could that would run in native renp'y.
Am using container WEBM / video VP9 / audio VORBIS @ 720 25fps

I'm trying out your cruncher tool right now.
On a jacked out ryzen 32-core threadripper and your cruncher is chewing the hell out of it :)

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Ya, monkeyed around with it to get the best results I could that would run in native renp'y.
Am using container WEBM / video VP9 / audio VORBIS @ 720 25fps

I'm trying out your cruncher tool right now.
On a jacked out ryzen 32-core threadripper and your cruncher is chewing the hell out of it :)
Imagine this - when I ported RenCruncher to Mac/Linux, I decided to test it out on Milfy City. On my 4 core I5. Yeah, that was dumb! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: gorgone

Pixieblink

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Jul 13, 2019
Imagine this - when I ported RenCruncher to Mac/Linux, I decided to test it out on Milfy City. On my 4 core I5. Yeah, that was dumb! :ROFLMAO:
Hahahah. Might as well go to bed and let it run overnight. Hey, U use what'cha got, right?

Pixieblink

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Jul 13, 2019

HOLY SHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By crunching only the video it shrunk the size of the game from 2.81gb to 500mb.
Which integrated seamlessly with renp'y and tested out just fine once decompressed.

Both of you gave me great advice, but bas - you're my new PERSON OF THE YEAR!
Great job on the cruncher and kudos.

Reactions: Capt OA
3.60 star(s) 84 Votes