RPGM The Proteus Effect [v10.3] [Proxxie]

3.70 star(s) 36 Votes

EdgeOfShadow

Sep 24, 2017
This is such a fundamental, blatant misunderstanding of the concept of patronage. You are NOT a customer, and you are not buying a product.
If you help someone they owe you, if you help someone with 5000$ a month they owe you a lot.

So if you don't consider the relationship between patrons and artist a simple buyer-seller relationship it is even worse, because if this is the case then patrons trust someone just to be kicked by them.

And the can't even ask why without someone butting in asking how dare the expect anything.

(posted via phone)

Re-4Andrew

Aug 4, 2017
ANd I go back to what I said. Making these games is a HOBBY for a lot of developers, its no different then a hobby a regular Jane or Joe takes up. In this case this hobby is made and provided to those who wish to play it, because the developer is building it for that reason. They dont realize with or without funding how extensive developing a game really is, once you get 20-30% into the project it hits them how much energy/effort its going to take to see it through till the end. That hobby has become another just another job!

It could very well be the developer just isn't happy with how the game is progressing and would like to start over or even wants to do a redo. Thye need to stick with what they've got and finish the project, takes notes of things you would do differently and use it in another game.

Funding is isn't a demand, and people choose to fund a game should know by now (since those who play adult games are limited) that the project is likely to become abandoned at some point. If not the some developers start to lag on updates. THe funding is suppose to provide for the expense of development, software, custom assets, sprites, art if you don't do it yourself, ect.. not to fund your personal life. But this has pretty much been the very issue with all public funding sites.

And there's no question, these are PEOPLE and they have lives, family, personal issues are always going to pop up. Even if that is the case all they need to do is say is they are 'going thru personal issues, and ask people to respect their privacy'! A number of them dont say anything and just disappear. Things may pile up, stress from a new job or a current job, stress from personal issues, and your not always going to get them to explain themselves and most feel they shouldn't have too!

The other thing is a developer may have a good relationship with fans, but that starts to go away pretty quickly when your expected to answer the same rhetorical questions. The way this developer is acting is following the same path, he's not the only one to say one thing and do something else, I've seen this from other developers they claim an update then you get nothing for another month maybe longer, and developer is ignoring any complaints, or not responding as to why, and some feel they shouldn't nor are they going to provide a 'why' they expect you to wait until they are ready.

Boyim

Feb 22, 2018
This is such a fundamental, blatant misunderstanding of the concept of patronage. You are NOT a customer, and you are not buying a product.
No, no it isn't. A Paypal donation bin with no promises is free support. Patreon is a different animal, and fundamentally relies on promises of specific services in return for consistent patronage in order to encourage people to opt in. Anyone claiming "I'm here just to support you" may very well be using Patreon in that way, but that is only one possible use and is not the expected standard on which the service is built.

Furthermore, even historic "patronage" relied on the same sorts of promises. No one was a "patron" of any artist and expected absolutely nothing from them. The concept of giving patronage has always implied that the artist produce more work, and that the patron have some sort of exclusive connection to the process. Whether suggestions, gifts of works, or insight into the current stage of the process. There has never been "absolutely no expectations" for patronage at any point in time. Money with no solid expectations is called charity, although even charities typically have goals in mind.

There is no interpretation of the concept of patronage, either historically or especially in the case of website Patreon, such that the artists have absolutely no obligations to their patrons. Regardless of how stringently or loosely you want to interpret those obligations, Patreon lays them out clearly in its tiers and the artist fills in the rest.

In this case, Proxxie clearly said a number of times that he intended to have releases on a bimonthly basis at the slowest, and promised never to have so huge an update that we would be contentless for as long as the bomb dungeon took. He did the exact opposite this time and this update took even longer than the one that forced him into making that decision by several months.

This update was six months in the making. And it was six months in the making after saying he would never do anything like a four month long update gap ever again. After the first month passed he missed every single new due date he gave himself while promising it was "just days away" for the latter FOUR MONTHS of the process in between periodic silence. No explanation given at any point for any of the delays, and only finally mentioning the "change of plans" like three days before the release.

This was a huge fuck-up, and people are owed an explanation.

Reactions: poloko and HenWen

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017
Guys, if you want to keep this conversation, do it by PM

DorcasAurelia

Nov 17, 2018
Is it mandatory to pick the "easy" option for the goat sidequest? I haven't done it for any of the minigames so far, but since this is a battle, and it seems like the goat has way too much hp to knock out in the couple of rounds before you're forced to flee, is this supposed to be impossible as a regular attempt?

Re-4Andrew

Aug 4, 2017
Is it mandatory to pick the "easy" option for the goat sidequest? I haven't done it for any of the minigames so far, but since this is a battle, and it seems like the goat has way too much hp to knock out in the couple of rounds before you're forced to flee, is this supposed to be impossible as a regular attempt?
I believe the Dev warns you when choose Easy, you miss out on extra content. Like you iIve done most of the quests in normal mode, its a struggle with some. But you can pick easy mode and save the game on a separate slot. Try out different weapons, armor, magic. Tho I haven't played the game in sometime I'm not sure whats available for weapons and armor, or if they are available in this game.

I've got 20+ plays I am playing, I'll play one, wait for several months then download the update, meanwhile I'm playing out another game. (Just in case your wondering why I have trouble remembering some details of this game)

smackdab

Jan 30, 2018
It sure seems that way. Picking easy mode only cuts content when its dungeons, so the goat should be safe to dumb down, so to say.

slitherhence

Sep 24, 2017
Sooo... how do your rotate the statues in Shiri's vote quest? Cause it's definately NOT the R key. I also don't seem to be able to push the statues, only pull them.

EDIT: never mind... left the room and returned and the problem seems to have solved itself.

Yet again I wish it were so simple or even sympathetic. But no, once you make a Patreon you literally actually owe your patrons content, and not giving it to them is stealing.
Nnnoope. Read the Patreon terms. You are pledging money in return for perks. The dev can stop developing at any time and still not fail to meet his obligations. There's no perk on anyones patreon that says "once you pledge I will never stop developing this game". The perks are things like early access to the latest updates, extra content, etc. At no point are you promised that the game will ever be finished. Your failure to understand what you are paying for does not constitute a crime on the part of the developer.

And, frankly, your entitled ranting got tiresome three pages ago. If how the dev is running their Patreon doesn't work for you, stop pledging. But shut up about it already. No one cares. Get over yourself.

Last edited:

tontoman

May 4, 2017
Yeah, I've tried it with a full party even (while on another quest) and can't get close. Unless it has a weakness to a particular party members power.... I can handle its damage, just not the time limit.
Checked the pics, and doesn't look like any scene was missed.

FinalZero

Apr 24, 2017
this game still alive wow just saw the update at svs and come back here so how the game going now anyway new H because the game just has only CG no gif anyway

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
Sooo... I'm enjoying playing through all of the Bunny quests and stuff. I think I'm on the last one. They're fun and funny, and a lot of the things I've enjoyed about this game...

But does anyone know how to get the new H-scene? (I'm probably missing something obvious.)

slitherhence

Sep 24, 2017
The area in question is literally named "Easy Mode Quest Area" in the game files. If you actually do beat the goat without easy mode you receive the passage `Just when you think you've nearly gotten him beat, the beast rears up and unleashes a furious flurry of hoof strikes, and you have no choice but to flee from the enraged goat!` and then the script puts you in the same spot as if you had lost. There is no way to complete the quest without easy mode. I believe the whole point of the quest is to teach the player about easy mode.

this game still alive wow just saw the update at svs and come back here so how the game going now anyway new H because the game just has only CG no gif anyway
o_O Punctuation is your friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: DorcasAurelia

smackdab

Jan 30, 2018
Sooo... I'm enjoying playing through all of the Bunny quests and stuff. I think I'm on the last one. They're fun and funny, and a lot of the things I've enjoyed about this game...

But does anyone know how to get the new H-scene? (I'm probably missing something obvious.)
Go alone to Val at night. Enjoy.

• Love
Reactions: Antosha

FookU2

Engaged Member
Jan 23, 2018
I clicked to download the Windows v0.8 and somehow I ended up with Mac v7.1.
Not sure what kinda shenanigans the computer, internet, or site was trying to play with me, but that's some interesting sorcery, for sure. lol
Redownload...check it 5 times to be sure it says "The_Proteus_Effect_08_Win.zip" lol

slitherhence

Sep 24, 2017
I clicked to download the Windows v0.8 and somehow I ended up with Mac v7.1.
Not sure what kinda shenanigans the computer, internet, or site was trying to play with me, but that's some interesting sorcery, for sure. lol
Redownload...check it 5 times to be sure it says "The_Proteus_Effect_08_Win.zip" lol
I've had that happen with a number of games recently. I'm hoping it's just me not paying close enough attention to what i'm clicking on.

Last edited:
Reactions: FookU2

Antosha

Feb 28, 2018
Go alone to Val at night. Enjoy.
Well.... Dayum! I won't say that this update was exactly worth a six-month wait... But the amount of play time, the humor, the character development....

Oh, yeah, and the threesome. :p

Awesome. :love:

3.70 star(s) 36 Votes