togs-games

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2021
tuajiuthou said:
(Your save file)
Which build is the save from? What happens when you try to load it? Did you try deleting persistent data first?

I can't even get it to load in version 0.4.7...

Last edited:

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
The next update in the 0.5.x cycle will add the discussions with Ashley and the beginnings of Bree's and Jennie's stories, so if they are your preferred girls, make sure you can circle back to Day 29 once that content is available.
Damn, my earliest save is day 31. I need to space them out more if older things are going to change.
Then for Week 6, with the London trip, the spotlight is on Lois (and Tilly to a lesser degree), and MC's "homecoming" if he's in a relationship with Kari - she missed him so much!
I wonder if she will be jealous about him spending this time alone with Lois? Will she ask him if anything happened with her? This could be where she starts entertaining the idea that she wouldn't mind him dating Lois as well so long as he's honest with her, starting to lay the groundwork for harem content later on.
Another possible direction things could go is that she starts thinking about how she wishes she could have gone as well, if she didn't have to work, and wondering about her future and if she really needs to work when her boyfriend is so rich. Should she start thinking about being a full-time 'wife'? That could lead into her talking to Mallory, who would presumably advise her that while he clearly isn't his uncle, she should still think hard if she's really sure about things, and getting so dependant on him. She'd probably find out about Mallory's secret at some point during that meeting.
Of course this would require some thought about how such a scene would be presented; so far I believe every scene has been from our guy's point of view, so how would a scene between those two while he's out of the country work? I'd say either at the end of the day as our guy goes to sleep in the hotel we get a 'meanwhile' back home, or after he gets back she could talk to him about seeing Mallory, and then we get a flashback.

Max1276

Mar 14, 2020
View attachment 1416638
The Roommate [v0.5.2] Walkthrough Mod
Features:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Download: -

As always if you like the game please show your support for the Dev, .
If you like my work please consider supporting me on my or .

the link is broken

xtr3mx7

Feb 10, 2019
Damn, starting a new game again?

Complete waste of time though skipping through the context and decide which options to give best outcome.

I fail to understand why we have to start all over again whenever there's a new release. As a developer, don't you test your release at all?

And please stick to one version of Renpy, stop the auto-update that breaks your code and don't change old variables.

Though the game is interesting, I'm going to drop it altogether until the final release.

Going to give it another shot and hope that I can still carry on with future release!

Last edited:

togs-games

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2021
Damn, my earliest save is day 31. I need to space them out more if older things are going to change.
Maybe I need to stagger that and pick up their stories later. I'm open to hearing what people think.

Some interesting thoughts in your post. We'll see.

togs-games

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2021
I get that it's frustrating, and yes, I test as much as I can when I'm not doing everything else.

I made it clear that this was a complicated release and that there were likely to be issues.

That said, maybe it is the changes in renpy, because I thought I covered all the possibilities.

But it's "in development" - change is an inevitable part of the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zenae and Vleder

Mister_M

Engaged Member
Apr 2, 2018
Maybe I need to stagger that and pick up their stories later. I'm open to hearing what people think.

Some interesting thoughts in your post. We'll see.
As someone who doesn't keep a lot of saves, especially on my main playthrough when I only save at the end of the update, I don't really like when new content/scenes/(sub)plots are introduced during past events tbh. I don't really mind ctrl-skipping until a specified day to see new conent - at least when the game is not that long, plus in the case of The Roommate I still like to stop and reread some dialogues - but the longer the game gets the more tedious skipping becomes. I also think that the need to reload older saves in order to get to new scenes breaks immersion. But it's not a very big deal to me and your game is not very long plus the dialogues are always fun to revisit.

Reactions: togs-games

Vleder

Dec 14, 2020
Complete waste of time though skipping through the context and decide which options to give best outcome.
That's really constructive!
So, basically you're criticizing the dev for being proactive and improving his work, adding content to enrich the story and answering or catering to the requests of the community. The change in variables does exactly that and was explained in the last update.
You also might not want to skip through the whole dialogue or your choices won't make any sense, at least to you.
Choosing to wait for the final releases or at least for moments when there's a substantial amount of content seems the right thing. While you do that, there's no need to be throwing shit to the fan.
Ranting about your inconvenience won't take anyone nowhere. Much more so when the dev is always present and answering to the community.
It's in early development. It's still going to change. And I bet it's for the better.

Reactions: HornyyPussy

togs-games

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2021
Is the 0.5.2 now final, or is there still a bugfix in line?
There will DEFINITELY be a 0.5.3 release before we move on in terms of game time.

Look, I don't know what else I can say about the problems with old saves. I do everything I can to mitigate problems, and it may be that as xtr3mx7 suggested, updates to renpy could be the source of some issues.

But I do feel that at this point the growing pains are a necessary evil.

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
Look, I don't know what else I can say about the problems with old saves. I do everything I can to mitigate problems, and it may be that as xtr3mx7 suggested, updates to renpy could be the source of some issues.

But I do feel that at this point the growing pains are a necessary evil.
I haven't played the latest release yet (waiting for 0.5.3) but think there's a massive difference between saves breaking because a game is riddled with bugs due to dev negligence or because—as has been the case with this game—the dev likes to go back over the released parts to tweak a variable here or a dialogue choice there. The former is a nuisance, the latter is to be expected when a game is in the early stages of development.

Hopefully it'll cease to be an issue soon as starting over does become increasingly untenable the further we get into the game story, but I'd rather have to skip through the game again than have the dev lock themselves into some mechanics that don't really work just because they're afraid to go back and switch up a variable that should have been introduced on day 4 or whatever.

xtr3mx7

Feb 10, 2019
That's really constructive!
So, basically you're criticizing the dev for being proactive and improving his work, adding content to enrich the story and answering or catering to the requests of the community. The change in variables does exactly that and was explained in the last update.
You also might not want to skip through the whole dialogue or your choices won't make any sense, at least to you.
Choosing to wait for the final releases or at least for moments when there's a substantial amount of content seems the right thing. While you do that, there's no need to be throwing shit to the fan.
Ranting about your inconvenience won't take anyone nowhere. Much more so when the dev is always present and answering to the community.
It's in early development. It's still going to change. And I bet it's for the better.
Thank you for your reply but it seems that you're not quoting the whole post and you're the one trying to throwing shits to the fan.

I would recommend you to read through the whole post word for word, do not jump to conclusion and stop assuming things because the word assume is very much ugly as it contains 3 undesirable words altogether.

Regarding constructive feedback, my post was constructive as I gave my feedback to another fellow developer. I am very much aware that Renpy's auto update disrupt the compatibility with old saves and break the game. Not only the Renpy's auto update do that but constantly changing variables and constants does not help.

As one myself (though I'm not involved in any games here), I do ask that all my staffs to perform a thorough system life cycle check which consist of service delivery, planning, coding, testing and debugging. In doing so, we assure that all products released to the public are bugs-free and contains almost no vulnerabilities.

My final recommendation to all fellow developers:

Stick to best practices while going for improvement.

If you still wish to make big changes, take notes of all changes and test thoroughly, revert back if contains undesirable effect, try again until you get the perfect balance (That's what we called change management from ITIL or ISO20000).

And apologies to togs-games if my previous post look like "throwing shits to the fan"

Cheers all.

Reactions: togs-games

Vleder

Dec 14, 2020
Thank you for your reply but it seems that you're not quoting the whole post [...]
And apologies to togs-games if my previous post look like "throwing shits to the fan"
Cheers all.
I rarely quote posts completely as an attempt to not clutter threads with unnecessary things. But that's the only reason. There's always a reference to the original post. So, really, you're the one assuming, because I read your post carefully. I recognize the spirited use of the word assume but I give it back to you, for that exact reason.
I also recognize you're now being constructive which kind of makes my point about your first post.

togs-games

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2021
I must confess that I wasn't aware of renpy's own updates being a significant issue.

This whole process is a big learning curve and insanely time-consuming.

There are any number of things I would do differently in retrospect, but hindsight is 20/20...

Reactions: HornyyPussy
3.80 star(s) 76 Votes