4.40 star(s) 32 Votes

olecramid

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2020
It is totally impossible for a single person to design and maintain a game with multiple 100% different paths. A couple of decisions open up a tree of possibilities, and each of those paths are opened again with a couple of extra decisions. Ultimately, giving the player a choice of 20 different things would mean doing thousands of different paths.
Most of these games are made by a single person or a very small group. It is ridiculous to try to compare them to games where hundreds of people work.
We do the best we can with the resources we have available. In my specific case, I do everything alone. I have only one computer and the ability to do only one thing at a time. I will try to do my best to give different options and make it feel that each one is the protagonist of their story, but if someone really believes that I will be able to write, render, maintain and give life to 20 100% different paths he's totally crazy.
The best I can do is give a bit of variety, try to make it feel like your decisions matter and that you are part of the story.
If someone is looking for a game where each decision makes it a different game, go play Detroit Become Human, an excellent game where decisions affect your path. But even that game, with millions of dollars of investment, is not 100% different. What do you think I can do with 20 Patreons and 100 dollars?
Sorry for the post, I owe you the potato!

BTLD

Engaged Member
Sep 18, 2017
It is totally impossible for a single person to design and maintain a game with multiple 100% different paths. A couple of decisions open up a tree of possibilities, and each of those paths are opened again with a couple of extra decisions. Ultimately, giving the player a choice of 20 different things would mean doing thousands of different paths.
Most of these games are made by a single person or a very small group. It is ridiculous to try to compare them to games where hundreds of people work.
We do the best we can with the resources we have available. In my specific case, I do everything alone. I have only one computer and the ability to do only one thing at a time. I will try to do my best to give different options and make it feel that each one is the protagonist of their story, but if someone really believes that I will be able to write, render, maintain and give life to 20 100% different paths he's totally crazy.
The best I can do is give a bit of variety, try to make it feel like your decisions matter and that you are part of the story.
If someone is looking for a game where each decision makes it a different game, go play Detroit Become Human, an excellent game where decisions affect your path. But even that game, with millions of dollars of investment, is not 100% different. What do you think I can do with 20 Patreons and 100 dollars?
Sorry for the post, I owe you the potato!
well said.

olecramid

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2020
she is awesome, I won't say no but I don't know if I can say she's more awesome than Rachel, I think they are at the same level :)
That is so nice to hear!
The only thing I really want from my game is for my girls to awaken those kinds of feelings.
The best of all is not knowing who you like the most, because you like several too much.
The same thing happened to me with Acting Lessons, and I love that game for that reason (not counting the ending, that I hate it sooooo much)

BTLD

Engaged Member
Sep 18, 2017
That is so nice to hear!
The only thing I really want from my game is for my girls to awaken those kinds of feelings.
The best of all is not knowing who you like the most, because you like several too much.
The same thing happened to me with Acting Lessons, and I love that game for that reason (not counting the ending, that I hate it sooooo much)
I hope you don't get a strange idea and add something like what happened in AL here...

Spatenklopper

Jun 4, 2021
Yes perfect.... and you did that very problematic at the beginning of the game with Erika (= the first girl).
I don't want this fuckin mobilehome and i don't feel like meeting other girls anymore, i want Erika!

• Red Heart
Reactions: olecramid

olecramid

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2020
Can we stop talking about depressing things like Al, i still get a lump in my throat...

Have i actually already said that I like Erika?
Yeah, you are right. Let's change the subject...
I think you already told that... but keep saying it! She deserves it without a doubt!

Reactions: BTLD

olecramid

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2020
Great, is always hard to be forced to chose!
It is a game, in the end it has to be fun, for difficult decisions there is real life!
I will try never to force important decisions, so each one can choose what seems best to him and enjoys the game as he wants...

• Red Heart
Reactions: timpo and BTLD

Spatenklopper

Jun 4, 2021
at the moment ..can't choose between them...and won't
I have to admit that i was a bit hasty in willing to sell the motorhome. :censored:
Rachel is a lovable blonde bombshell.

Don't worry, you wont have to!
If it were just Erika and Rachel, i would adore you for saying that, but if the rest of the girls are anything like them,
i could start loving you.

Reactions: Aner878787 and BTLD
4.40 star(s) 32 Votes