5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

NRTMHA

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2017
Er... Is it even possible to save the game ?

It's a common issue with the couple Ren'py/pickle. You must take care of what you do and you can not save any kind of code ; except sometimes lambda. Which mean that your objects can not store code as pure attribute. The code must be part of the object.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Seen this, there's probably more errors. I'll perhaps catch some of them when I'll try it again ; so when it will be savable.

[edit: Oop's, linking to my local copy will not do it :D]
Programmer told me this:
The pickling error is already solved, it was a duplicate object declaration

Jayjayj

Aug 15, 2017
So i have the sleeping potions but when i got to the mansion and approach the dogs it just says i still need a solution, wtf am i missing?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Programmer told me this:
The pickling error is already solved, it was a duplicate object declaration
Alright, I played it fool to not feel too harsh, but it start to be difficult... And it's a pity because the game look promising, well at least if you don't look behind it.

Code:
text_effect = renpy.curry( text_effect )
is absolutely not a "duplicate object declaration".

Since more than 30 years, (almost) all the scripting languages store their data in a NAMESPACE, one by module/unit/whateverForThisLanguage. And since more than 20 years, (almost) all the scripting languages removed the obligation to prefix the names. This imply that (almost) all the modern scripting languages aren't "weak typed", they are completely type free. That's why, by example, the notion of variables don't exist in Python ; they call them "attributes", because it's what they are, an attribute of the module, whatever this attribute is a scalar value, a structure, a code, an object or even a module.
This is especially true with Ren'py since it recreate its own NAMESPACE to store the attributes declared in the game code ( ). Every single attribute declared in a Ren'py code is nothing more than an attribute of the renpy.store object.
If you want to play, type "renpy = 1" on the console. You'll overwrite all the Ren'py engine. It will crash the game right after you stroke the enter key ; just run the game again, it don't touch the files, just what was in the memory of the running game.
So, no, it's not a "duplicate object declaration" error, it's a "just after the creation of my function I completely overwrote it, replacing it by a curried version of itself" error. It can happen to everyone to make this error, even people who code since half a century. But misnaming it, no, it don't happen.

With this, the number of fundamental errors made by your coder goes up to six :
1) Don't know the difference between calling a code and referencing it ; the difference is the same in (almost) all the scripting language created after the mid 90's.
2) Don't know that in modern scripting language, variables and code share the same NAMESPACE and so are, basically speaking, the same thing.
3) Don't read the part of the doc regarding the use of Python. The example for " " clearly imply that a code will be addressed in the same way than a variable. Put in perspective with the "store" thing, recalled just above the part I linked, it's clear that "def test_effect([...])" and "test_effect = [...]" will concern the exact same thing.
4) When reading the doc (or more surely an example), don't understand what is wrote and try to improvise. Whatever he read the part regarding or he found on the web an example of its use, the code, more than surely, clearly shown that you shouldn't use the "()". Thinking that "(file, speaker)" will mean "add these two parameters to the usual parameters", I really don't know when it can come from.
5) I'll stay gentle, and say nothing, but it regard this :
Code:
        if event == "show_done":
            pass
            if file and _preferences.text_cps != 0:
6) Don't search in the doc, before searching on the web (if he searched on the web), if there's already a feature doing what he want to do. Whatever the true intent behind text_effect, the voicing feature will do the same.

And still he was able to wrote so many lines of code :/ Don't know, change your coder or let him some times to learn the basis of Python coding ? But do something before @Darkaura's become reality.

Reactions: Leghemoglobin

PhoenixFireeye

Nov 2, 2017
I'm stuck. Where is the priestess? Whenever I go to the church it's empty. And I can't find candles.

Edit: I guess it's random if the priestess is in the church or not. I just repeatedly tried going into the church and eventually she was there.

PhoenixFireeye

Nov 2, 2017
How often will there be updates? I love Monkey Island and I think this game is amazing. You guys did a great job parodying it.

JackBeNimble

May 21, 2017
I'm enjoying this game, too, I should say. Quite funny, gorgeous characters and animation/3d artwork, and very fun. I do hope at some time some of the coding concerns might be handled better. I'm not a coder, but am persuaded by those who are here and commenting about it, particularly because of some of the failings they speak about in the game I happen to experience during play, too. Just general sluggishness or something not occuring when it should, or white screen in the client when some wierd thing in the engine becomes null or something (again, I'm not a coder, and am only talking to the most basic gameplay experience I can understand). Still, loving this so far, and thank you for it Devs. Hoping for more!

NRTMHA

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2017
Alright, I played it fool to not feel too harsh, but it start to be difficult... And it's a pity because the game look promising, well at least if you don't look behind it.

Code:
text_effect = renpy.curry( text_effect )
is absolutely not a "duplicate object declaration".

Since more than 30 years, (almost) all the scripting languages store their data in a NAMESPACE, one by module/unit/whateverForThisLanguage. And since more than 20 years, (almost) all the scripting languages removed the obligation to prefix the names. This imply that (almost) all the modern scripting languages aren't "weak typed", they are completely type free. That's why, by example, the notion of variables don't exist in Python ; they call them "attributes", because it's what they are, an attribute of the module, whatever this attribute is a scalar value, a structure, a code, an object or even a module.
This is especially true with Ren'py since it recreate its own NAMESPACE to store the attributes declared in the game code ( ). Every single attribute declared in a Ren'py code is nothing more than an attribute of the renpy.store object.
If you want to play, type "renpy = 1" on the console. You'll overwrite all the Ren'py engine. It will crash the game right after you stroke the enter key ; just run the game again, it don't touch the files, just what was in the memory of the running game.
So, no, it's not a "duplicate object declaration" error, it's a "just after the creation of my function I completely overwrote it, replacing it by a curried version of itself" error. It can happen to everyone to make this error, even people who code since half a century. But misnaming it, no, it don't happen.

With this, the number of fundamental errors made by your coder goes up to six :
1) Don't know the difference between calling a code and referencing it ; the difference is the same in (almost) all the scripting language created after the mid 90's.
2) Don't know that in modern scripting language, variables and code share the same NAMESPACE and so are, basically speaking, the same thing.
3) Don't read the part of the doc regarding the use of Python. The example for " " clearly imply that a code will be addressed in the same way than a variable. Put in perspective with the "store" thing, recalled just above the part I linked, it's clear that "def test_effect([...])" and "test_effect = [...]" will concern the exact same thing.
4) When reading the doc (or more surely an example), don't understand what is wrote and try to improvise. Whatever he read the part regarding or he found on the web an example of its use, the code, more than surely, clearly shown that you shouldn't use the "()". Thinking that "(file, speaker)" will mean "add these two parameters to the usual parameters", I really don't know when it can come from.
5) I'll stay gentle, and say nothing, but it regard this :
Code:
        if event == "show_done":
            pass
            if file and _preferences.text_cps != 0:
6) Don't search in the doc, before searching on the web (if he searched on the web), if there's already a feature doing what he want to do. Whatever the true intent behind text_effect, the voicing feature will do the same.

And still he was able to wrote so many lines of code :/ Don't know, change your coder or let him some times to learn the basis of Python coding ? But do something before @Darkaura's become reality.

Here the reply of FDR (programmer):

FWIW, as always, the feedback is appreciated.

"text_effect = renpy.curry( text_effect )" is not a "duplicate object declaration"... Yes, that is not, another thing that is not: the cause of the pickling error.

Is a bad practice, ofc, the code is from an example (authors are in the credits of the game), so all the code around that is standing on the shoulders of giants (big time!), that code is sheduled to be rewriten in some "nothing-better-to-do" time, but bad practice or not, it works well enough for a pre-alpha, no hurries there.

Most of the python / renpy code is autogenerated from an articy, so... no, I did'nt were able to write "so many lines of code", what I wrote was the code that wrote most of those many lines of code, and how many of them there is, is dictated by the way articy store things in the database.

The actual mistake where about the items and the characters, and some of them being declared both as characters and inventory items, and that while sharing the same id.

Contrary to what the debug info in renpy said, that was the true cause of the problem, as pickling need to find things by name. The error was found easily enough (it whas the only thing changed in the last commit before the error), and now inventory objects and characters are declared as they should.

So, as I knew that the artist neither wanted or expected to understand a too deep explication, I told him that the problem was a duplicated object declaration.

NRTMHA

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2017
How often will there be updates? I love Monkey Island and I think this game is amazing. You guys did a great job parodying it.
We hope a release each 45 days, time we need for render images and add new content. Is just a "number" but is what we would like to do.

I'm enjoying this game, too, I should say. Quite funny, gorgeous characters and animation/3d artwork, and very fun. I do hope at some time some of the coding concerns might be handled better. I'm not a coder, but am persuaded by those who are here and commenting about it, particularly because of some of the failings they speak about in the game I happen to experience during play, too. Just general sluggishness or something not occuring when it should, or white screen in the client when some wierd thing in the engine becomes null or something (again, I'm not a coder, and am only talking to the most basic gameplay experience I can understand). Still, loving this so far, and thank you for it Devs. Hoping for more!

We are fixing bugs, and soon will be updated another "big fix release". We test the game lot of times before each release, but well, is an alpha! :D

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Most of the python / renpy code is autogenerated from an articy, [...]
:WutFace:You're using a professional decisions flow/dialog manager, which is neither free nor cheap, auto converting from one syntax to the other, to create a game for a free engine which have a so easy syntax (based on a language used for teaching) that even someone who don't even knew that arrays exist can make a game like Dreaming of Dana, and games like Super Powered or Summertime saga, can be done with a basic text editor ? There's even a dev here who design his game using a pen and papers...

Reactions: saolo996

NRTMHA

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2017
Articy is a professional tool for team work, a great option used by lot of developers (I use it in all my projects) and I recomend it ☺

NRTMHA

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2017
For now this is a pet project, and everyone in the team has a day job and a family to take care of, so from the distance, the use of those tools may seem like an overkill.

But we are aiming higher than that. The creative part of the team has so much to express, and this game is just our proof of concept (and the alpha stage of it).

That's why we are looking for patronage, to be able to give this project as a whole (no only this game), the time and resources it needs to become what we want it to be.

fzdc

Jul 25, 2017
Actually, has 3 H scenes.
i literally spent 2h searching for it.
it has 0.
Going to the governor house and feeding the dogs gives an error which states there's content missing.
i've done everything else so the story can't progress.
unless it's been updated since i last posted that comment.

Milkman Dan

Jan 19, 2018
i literally spent 2h searching for it.
it has 0.
Going to the governor house and feeding the dogs gives an error which states there's content missing.
i've done everything else so the story can't progress.
unless it's been updated since i last posted that comment.
The first version released to the public had that problem, it would crash instead of showing the H-Scenes. The second (and current) version has the H-Scenes.

Reactions: NRTMHA

Niteowl

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2018
No updates in over a year, I guess it's been abandoned.
I think it had some potential, but then again it needed a lot of work to become good....
Not that it matters, but the translations had some issues and the animations are not that good...
also it was mostly just following the clues, games with more impactful decisions are more interesting

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017

Rudy with 14 votes...
Some UHD pictures will come...
Patreon have rules about nudity in public posts, so nudes will be patron only.
Thanks all for your votes!

NRTMHA

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2017
No updates in over a year, I guess it's been abandoned.
I think it had some potential, but then again it needed a lot of work to become good....
Not that it matters, but the translations had some issues and the animations are not that good...
also it was mostly just following the clues, games with more impactful decisions are more interesting
Game is 12 DAYS old!!!!!! :facepalm:

NRTMHA

Game Developer
Jul 29, 2017

Rudy with 14 votes...
Some UHD pictures will come...
Patreon have rules about nudity in public posts, so nudes will be patron only.
Thanks all for your votes!
Nude one and a "funny" video in discord channel :D

Reactions: Pharan
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote