4.30 star(s) 30 Votes
Sep 28, 2018
I've been wondering, why almost all the rpgm genre is based on a european middle age fantasy world? Don't get me wrong there are very good ones out there. But there is a limited times you can see the same starting village before you want to go full Columbine with the developers asses
Because most of the available sprites provided by base RPGM involve rather European Fantasy designs. To add things like Japanese or Chinese tiered towers or such would oft require them to make original sprites themselves, and that is money that would be better spent on paying the artists for the actual scene artwork or character design.

decker2

Jul 6, 2017
it's on steam now:sneaky:

TheUnsaid

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
Because most of the available sprites provided by base RPGM involve rather European Fantasy designs. To add things like Japanese or Chinese tiered towers or such would oft require them to make original sprites themselves, and that is money that would be better spent on paying the artists for the actual scene artwork or character design.
There are a lot of japanese aesthetic resources out there, but you're right. The ones that come with base RPGM are European Fantasy designs.

Minwa's Three Charms and its sequel are fully japanese in design and are great.

TFM

Mar 7, 2019
Wow I had ignored this for a long time, 8 months at least... surprised it still was updated here. And it got a Steam release? And an actual Boss? Nice!

EDIT: HOLY CRAP THEY CHANGED THE ENGINE? WOAHHHHHH

EDIT 2: LOL people never stopped complaining that the game was "too hard". Go back to the early pages of the thread, people always complaining about the game being difficult instead of actually playing it and learning the mechanics.

Last edited:

f96zonetrooper

Engaged Member
Dec 21, 2018
Just some thoughts after playing this game for a few hours :

- This game should have more than one save slot. It's fun to start over and see if you can do better than last time, but you don't want to delete your save game where you grinded to unlock everything for it.
- The introduction for new players should be more clear.
- I spent some time trying to equip the cursed sword since it was the only weapon available at start but it was impossible.
- I was looking for anvil and forge in the dungeon and the sanctuary to forge a weapon (as in other games) until I realized that the player can forge new weapons in his inventory. (This is strange because when fighting e.g. barrels or rats at start he uses his bare hands. I would assume that using his mighty magical blacksmith hammer against obstacles and foes would be more efficient than bare hands. Or does he forge with his bare hands? Then his bare hand attacks should be more powerful.)
(Actually you can use the soul stones right at start to forge a first weapon. You earn much more soul with this weapon than you loose by giving up the soul stones.)
- Since the recovery of soul and items takes an important place in the soul imprint shop, I had the impression that it is not possible to return from the dungeon alive. I passed the restplace with the bell many times without using it because it looked just like an odd graphical decoration, just to perish later in some random ambush.
- With the option to return alive with "everything" the balance for the shop seems off and investing into the soul % seems pointless.
- Since the first dungeon levels become easy soon, there should be a teleporter system to unlock as in other games (Diablo) so that the player can focus on the more difficult dungeon levels without having to go through everything again.
- The UI should have a small info about available inventory space without having to access the inventory : current used weight / max weight.
- The actual forge skill should be displayed somewhere. The player can forge in the dungeon and in the sanctuary and he gets forge skill when reading books in the sanctuary, but it is not clear how far the forge skill is reset when entering the dungeon or dying and what forge skill is used in dungeon / sanctuary. I would expect that forging a mighty weapon from premium items should get a better result with higher forge skill, but without the info about current forge skill this is difficult to time for the player.

sandsea_urchin

May 7, 2019
oh i completely forgot about this and now it got a new update, time to see how far it's been developed
Just saw V0.13 new girls?
You're exactly 1 month late :p
New girls: a crafty Succubus, and a not-so-innocent Priestess with her Angel summon in tow.
New girls are exclusive to the new area, the roguelite dungeon (teleporter in the church)

Just some thoughts after playing this game for a few hours
I'd disagree with most points (except the display parts). You're lost in an unknown world and need to find your bearings:
If you don't know how chess pieces move, you deserve to lose. If you don't know you can hold the jump button down for higher jumps in a platformer you deserve to lose. If you don't understand the basics of how the crafting system works, you deserve to lose.
It sounds like you're a first-time player; if so, you've proven that Ason succeeded in implementing that "new experience" feel very well. Maybe they'll add a few more security rails and beginners' handholding scenes, but I certainly won't miss them if they don't :cool:
There are 2-ways teleporters every 10 levels, btw (so 1, currently. And that lv5 1-way bell.)

Either way, lazy players will be looking for guides, faqs or even full saves. Persistent RPGers will probably appreciate the game the way it's currently designed.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Venator309

TheUnsaid

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
It sounds like you're a first-time player; if so, you've proven that Ason succeeded in implementing that "new experience" feel very well. Maybe they'll add a few more security rails and beginners' handholding scenes, but I certainly won't miss them if they don't :cool:
There are 2-ways teleporters every 10 levels, btw (so 1, currently. And that lv5 1-way bell.)

Either way, lazy players will be looking for guides, faqs or even full saves. Persistent RPGers will probably appreciate the game the way it's currently designed.
I think you quoted the wrong person.

sandsea_urchin

May 7, 2019
Nah, you've misread. It's a quote, not a reply.
I was borrowing your argument (about 'babysitting players' not being the right way to design a game, more often than not) to reply to the other guy - f96zonetrooper. I didn't think it could be misleading.

To be fair, I never thought about that forge hammer as a weapon nor does it surprise me much a guy forging souls uses a portable phantom anvil... Though it'd be curious in Black Garden or most crafting games.

Elhidino

Jun 30, 2017
Tbh i really hope hes gonna flesh out the current content.

What i heavily disliked was the boss and the floors after it.

If anyone still doesnt have idea how to beat that thing you have to:
Ignore the armor completely, kill the first thing that you would think its the hearth of the boss(Spoiler: It isnt) then use the port nearby and pray to rng you end up at the other side in order to kill the other hearth thingie.

And then welcome to the most enjoyable and innovative gameplay: Lure the armor into the fire that looks more like enviromental thing, lure the boss into it and now stay in front of it until he dies while you dab on him with infinite block because game gives you loads of focus pots for free.

Except you know, it still takes eternity before he decides to kick a bucket and finally stop wasting your time while you do nothing except asking the boss if it could finally stop wasting your time and let you move on after its 5th revival.

And now welcome to the new floors, which from my experience often end up with you dying and getting angry.

Why? Because creators finger slipped and turned most of the floors into monster house from pokemon mystery dungeon while you have no giant aoe spell to wipe them out or have reliable strats to deal with such repeated bs.

TheUnsaid

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
What i heavily disliked was the boss and the floors after it.
XD
It was my favorite part.
First time I fought it I was surprised i lost. I was actually blinking cause it was the first time I got downed and lost souls, over the course of updates in the last few months.
It was great.

Ignore the armor completely, kill the first thing that you would think its the hearth of the boss(Spoiler: It isnt) then use the port nearby and pray to rng you end up at the other side in order to kill the other hearth thingie.
So many strategies posted on this thread alone... and you come up with a bad one.
You can actually defeat the cursed armor by just walking up to it and fighting until you win if you farm enough soul drops. Carry like 6, and make a weapon that's heavily enchanted with the light element, and you can just wail on him till you win.

Like there's at least 4 different good but viable strategies posted here on this thread. All of them insanely easy to do.

This boss isn't hard.

You just have to actually think about crafting. This isn't an action game.
And now welcome to the new floors, which from my experience often end up with you dying and getting angry.
I'm kind of jealous of you man. I almost never get downed while playing this game (and never get to 100% corruption in the dungeon) unless I purposefully make bad decisions or am playing endless mode.

Seriously. This game is called cursed blacksmith. Get good at blacksmithing and positioning and you'll be fine. All the normal enemies should be dying in two hits MAX. Monster girls, 3 or 4. If they're not, then the reason you're dying is on you.

Elhidino

Jun 30, 2017
XD

This boss isn't hard.

You just have to actually think about crafting. This isn't an action game.

I'm kind of jealous of you man. I almost never get downed while playing this game (and never get to 100% corruption in the dungeon) unless I purposefully make bad decisions or am playing endless mode.

Seriously. This game is called cursed blacksmith. Get good at blacksmithing and positioning and you'll be fine. All the normal enemies should be dying in two hits MAX. Monster girls, 3 or 4. If they're not, then the reason you're dying is on you.
I never said boss is hard, it was tedious if anything(Seriously, its the first boss for love of god)

And yeah, you can about 2-3 shot your opponents, but hows that gonna help you when you literally spawn in between a goddamn horde?

i did over 10 runs and guess how most of my floors ends up being like? I literaly go through first floor somehow without a problem and then every,goddamn, mothertrucking time i spawn in middle of army which often consist at least of 2 vampires spamming ice bolts. Exits or escape routes? Where?Chances are i probably die before i even get there.

Once again, i love the idea of the game. Problem is these kinds of scenarios happens too damn often to the point its frustrating rather than challenging.

TheUnsaid

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
I never said boss is hard, it was tedious if anything(Seriously, its the first boss for love of god)
This is an indie game. It won't have the enemy count of normal games. Imagine if there's only 3 bosses in the entire game.

And yeah, you can about 2-3 shot your opponents, but hows that gonna help you when you literally spawn in between a goddamn horde?
2 shots max. It should be 1 shot for the most part. It'll help because if you position yourself properly, you can get the first attack, then keep attacking and make it through.

And you do have AOE attacks. The elemental stones.

sandsea_urchin

May 7, 2019
Like said above, 3 shots is at least 1 too many. Take your time collecting good materials to craft your main weapon.
Some simple tips:
- use the dark sword. It's cheaper erosion-wise than a defeat
- I always equip some Haste weapon before using stairs, like the knife of wind. This often saved my hide (and innocence).
- use potions when you see a hard fight coming. A confused girl will be as good as an ally.
edit: you can also use that save once so you see how veterans gear up before they go get raped dungeon crawling

Also, you are supposed to lose. You have a damn time bomb (erosion) on you, and levels 11+ are specifically designed to scale up to a guaranteed defeat, no matter how good you are. That's how even a die-hard sore loser like me can still get some H-scene with no regrets :LOL:

Elves archers are those who get me 80% of the time... And I happen to like their design. So I rage a bit less when I do down. Maybe you have a hidden loli vampire fetish? :unsure: (joking: I mean, do your utmost to win so you're not ashamed of your defeat. That's the best an endless roguelite can offer.)

TFM

Mar 7, 2019
I had broken down the 0.06 version, which can be read here. My early impressions of this version

- I love that the game progressed to English subtitles and the dialogue is much cleaner. There's still some cringey Engrish and some really bad translations but it's progress. Also they changed Doroelle's VA, whyyyyyyyy? I like how quiet she sounded. The new VA talks so slow I was afraid she might be on Valium.
- Trap feature is still around and still very odd. You might walk around the floor a lot more just to ping a few buffs like HP Recover/Defense UP or the Reduce Erosion.
- The Reduce Erosion item (Soul Drop?) Seems to drop less now... I may be imagining it though.
- Prices are still reduced at the Soul Conversion, meaning a half hour of play and returning using the Bell will probably net you enough Soul to max out 3-4 categories.
- Items are STILL all over the home area and re-spawn after every visit back to the Church. I can't tell you how bad an implementation that is, it was bad before and it's still bad. Again, you're going to grind the dungeon and collect stuff to craft weapons. Why the heck are you littering the home area with said items/material? I can understand the first time you return from the dungeon you give the player some help; Doroelle says it herself that you can't be expected to beat the dungeon "as you are now". But every time I return to the Home area?
- I love the Boss design. You actually have to use Skills and the Cursed Sword ability carefully.
- Once you pass the Boss you need to craft with the material from that area. The Power creep is noticeable when you have to hit enemies 3-5 times to off them.

decker2

Jul 6, 2017
so they update to v0.14 add a Gallery Mode

they also seem to have some funding issue...

4.30 star(s) 30 Votes