4.30 star(s) 30 Votes

lilitalesv102

May 6, 2020
In your example your best bet if you want to get the highest damage for a Scorching Sword skill weapon would be to get 2 magic silver ore and to save scum untill you get fire damage. If you feel save scumming is bad or takes to long 2 fire stones would give you a modest boost to both damage and durability with less time spent grinding untill you get the lucky maxed out sword from RNG.
Durability really only increeses between 5-30 per mat depending on the mat and forge level bonus. a damage incresse is much better for weapons to bring you closer to the desired 1-2 shot range on the girls in general though and elemental weapon skills scale solely off the element damage in question useally.
Thank you, this is very helpful. I have no problem with save scumming or exploiting the mechanics; this game is hard enough. Now that I think about it, a high durability, low damage weapon would probably require 3+ hits to kill a mob, while a low durability, high damage weapon would require much less, so it evens out in the end. This game really scratches my grinding itch; hopefully they continue to roll out future updates. Thanks again for all your help, really appreciate it.

lilitalesv102

May 6, 2020
Have a look at my posts starting there https://f95zone.to/threads/the-shim...sed-blacksmith-v0-46b-ason.41290/post-6107747 More info afterwards, though precise figures should be obsolete by now.
You're right about savescumming being the best way to learn.
Thank you, I was able to see your posts before. It definitely cleared up a lot of things for me. Especially the skills leveling guide, fascinating stuff. You are truly a godsend, there's no way I could have figured out all these mechanics on my own.
I do have some questions about enhancing though. In your previous posts you showed the stats of a frozen kiss enhanced 7/7 with tinstone. Is that the best way to enhance a weapon? How would that compare to, let's say, 7 elemental stones instead? Some of the posts mention "rainbow" weapons to be really strong. What about magic lawsonite, which ups random damage? Does it give higher stats than elemental stones? I still can't quite figure out how enhancing really works.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
Thank you, I was able to see your posts before. It definitely cleared up a lot of things for me. Especially the skills leveling guide, fascinating stuff. You are truly a godsend, there's no way I could have figured out all these mechanics on my own.
I do have some questions about enhancing though. In your previous posts you showed the stats of a frozen kiss enhanced 7/7 with tinstone. Is that the best way to enhance a weapon? How would that compare to, let's say, 7 elemental stones instead? Some of the posts mention "rainbow" weapons to be really strong. What about magic lawsonite, which ups random damage? Does it give higher stats than elemental stones? I still can't quite figure out how enhancing really works.
In my experience, it's best to match elemental weapons with magic components and non-elemental weapons with non-magic components. Unless something has recently changed, elemental skills will always only scale off of their matching element. Strangely enough, a non-elemental skill do factor elemental damage into its attacks, but the only way you'd have elemental skills on a non-elemental weapon is if you're using a weapon fragment from an elemental weapon. It's also much easier to "reroll" stats from tinstone for that extra few points of damage than reroll magic lawsonite or whatever until you have more of the same element. For these reasons, I prefer generally prefer non-elemental weapons to magic ones.
As for Random Damage Up, I'm afraid I don't have an answer.
I'm curious as to why you think "rainbow" weapons are good. They're fine if you don't plan to use them for elemental skills, but it's generally more effective to focus on one element. A max level Frozen Kiss won't do a lot of skill damage if only 1/5th of its base stats are water elemental.

Reactions: lilitalesv102

lilitalesv102

May 6, 2020
In my experience, it's best to match elemental weapons with magic components and non-elemental weapons with non-magic components. Unless something has recently changed, elemental skills will always only scale off of their matching element. Strangely enough, a non-elemental skill do factor elemental damage into its attacks, but the only way you'd have elemental skills on a non-elemental weapon is if you're using a weapon fragment from an elemental weapon. It's also much easier to "reroll" stats from tinstone for that extra few points of damage than reroll magic lawsonite or whatever until you have more of the same element. For these reasons, I prefer generally prefer non-elemental weapons to magic ones.
As for Random Damage Up, I'm afraid I don't have an answer.
I'm curious as to why you think "rainbow" weapons are good. They're fine if you don't plan to use them for elemental skills, but it's generally more effective to focus on one element. A max level Frozen Kiss won't do a lot of skill damage if only 1/5th of its base stats are water elemental.
Thanks for your input, that does make a lot of sense. As for the rainbow weapons, you're exactly right; I usually don't use them for elemental skills, just basic attacks. In theory, it's a good strategy since most enemies have weaknesses to a certain element, so you're covering all bases by infusing different elements into one weapon. However, I realize now that the further I get, the less effective it becomes. On higher levels you are more likely to just get swarmed by enemies left and right, so basic attacks just don't cut it anymore. Weapon skills suddenly become more useful, as they usually target multiple squares or have a skill that allows you eliminate annoying far-range enemies. And as you said, most skills are either non-elemental or elemental but rely on only one element for damage, so it's better to just focus on that. I thought perhaps the weapon skills were boss-only tools since you can just bash most enemies to death, but they really start to become more necessary the further in you go. Really appreciate the advice, I can finally take it easy with hoarding all these elemental stones.

sandsea_urchin

May 7, 2019
What he said.
It's more efficient to focus on an element, but you'll need the experience (and the backup weapon) to switch strategies against specific monsters. There's no real "right" or "wrong" way to go. Just different issues to face either way.
That's a different story with skills and skill-raising. Your would-be uber scorching sword becomes way less useful if it gets 'rainbow'. But it'd still be not much use against the stronger fire-resistant monsters.

Reactions: lilitalesv102

decker2

Jul 6, 2017
i don't understand how people struggle with the game so much:unsure:
i usually end up overloaded with weapons and material that i just throw them at the enemies:ROFLMAO:

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
i usually end up overloaded with weapons and material that i just throw them at the enemies:ROFLMAO:
I'm guessing that most of the people struggling are new to the roguelike genre. They might not know that you should reposition and kite enemies as needed, or that you shouldn't be exploring every room if you're about to top out Erosion, or that you shouldn't be carrying around one of everything in the off chance you might need it. These things might come naturally to some might be things that you need to explain to others.

lurker55555

Dec 5, 2019
Same, except when i do challenge runs then im overloaded with explosives and other stones instead

Gigger2461

Mar 11, 2018
The hardest thing to get accostumed to in roguelikes is that you shouldn't hoard your consumables. That elixir won't do anything in the final boss fight if you die before reaching there.

lurker55555

Dec 5, 2019
The hardest thing to get accostumed to in roguelikes is that you shouldn't hoard your consumables. That elixir won't do anything in the final boss fight if you die before reaching there.
yep, i was in several situations where i was in massive problems cuz i got instantly spawned into a room with like 8 monsters and two of them being monster girls, the moment u get surrounded youre fucked, using the sword? corruption and you may not finish off the boss if you didnt stack any soul drops before, so the last thing remaining is to use pots, explosives and all the other things u collected just to try and get a better position before engaging

sandsea_urchin

May 7, 2019
The whole point of Roguelites/likes is ressource management. I don't remember carry weight ever being an issue in Stone Soup So much fun throwing all your potions in a panic, ending up mutating the baddie into an uber-baddie :ROFLMAO:

Ason's making something pretty tame in comparison. I just hope the bosses keep being challenging... And maybe some more naughty attacks/traps like the Succubus. And special floors popping up every so often! (Monster dens, treasure rooms, etc.)

decker2

Jul 6, 2017
talking about the bosses it's kinda lame that you can only fight them once in this game:(

it makes sense story wise since they are corrupted npc girls that the mc has to save
but still once the bosses are defeated it's just roms with random mobs:cautious:
no real challenge in future runs:(

would have been better if the npc girls where like in:
you know bosses that you can interact with and get stronger every time you beat them;)
(also some battle rape moves for them wouldn't be bad either)

IFortheGloryn

Feb 2, 2020
The whole point of Roguelites/likes is ressource management. I don't remember carry weight ever being an issue in Stone Soup So much fun throwing all your potions in a panic, ending up mutating the baddie into an uber-baddie :ROFLMAO:

Ason's making something pretty tame in comparison. I just hope the bosses keep being challenging... And maybe some more naughty attacks/traps like the Succubus. And special floors popping up every so often! (Monster dens, treasure rooms, etc.)
yeah,in my first play I died more than one time for the first boss,in the second boss I already have lost my hope for a wining but some how I go through...and for the third boss I am scary(but well I already have some experience by play in the second time so I can forge much better wepons).

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
yeah,in my first play I died more than one time for the first boss,in the second boss I already have lost my hope for a wining but some how I go through...and for the third boss I am scary(but well I already have some experience by play in the second time so I can forge much better wepons).
The first boss taught me that even with decent weapons, you really ought to invest in consumables. I went in thinking I could survive the fight alternating between Windrush Armor and Heal, but I ran out of stamina faster than I expected. I somehow how did enough damage for Focus Potions to spawn just as I'm panicking irl, not having died once yet at that point. Ironically, I didn't use consumables a whole lot on the second boss. But I did almost shit myself when the Snake Girl used her skill on me while I was trying to hide from the map-wide slam attack. Thank god for ranged skills.

Null98

Nov 14, 2018
From my experience with bosses I'm pretty sure I did struggle with the first boss due to lack of resources I could prepare myself with. The second boss I prepared,monster weapons,items and movement, utility, and other skills in case things went of hand. I didn't really encounter the third boss Until I did the floors Multiple times due how I was collecting rings,resources for powerful weapons, and items from the statue.When I did encounter the boss it was somewhat underwhelming to say the least, especially when I wasn't even fully prepared when I fought the boss. In all the boss fights I was in I'm pretty sure I never really used wind armor.

dreminh

Jan 4, 2019
Is the demo on steam is up to date ?
edit, which one i should downloads, steam or here ?

Last edited:

Elexion

Aug 14, 2017
Is the demo on steam is up to date ?
edit, which one i should downloads, steam or here ?
If you really like it and want to suport the dev absolutely get it on steam. Getting it here is also fine as you get it for free and it's kept up to date by the people kindly sharing it.
If you get it here you'll need to come back and download new versions as they are released vs steam auto-updating it for you

4.30 star(s) 30 Votes