4.00 star(s) 34 Votes
Jan 3, 2021
by the way is it possible to see the CG's that arent necessarily sexual? Like when you go to the amusement park with Catherine or the fencing scene with Shuma

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
I prefer the new engine rather than unity :4Head:
I seriously ... DO NOT, NOT, NOT.
But it's a good idea to start over when you've met your match (and you don't wish to get familiar with a superior tool).

RPGM will always be a step back, no discussion. It's a much slower framework (runtime wise) and has serious limitations.

Also, in the original game there were plans/ideas that would not be easy to do in RPGM. I'm eager to see how he did the flight part.

For now, I tried it for one minute, and then decided to skip it for now. I like the artwork but I DO NOT LIKE the move to an inferior engine and one which was made for the Japanese market 15 years ago at that. I mean, seriously, RPGM is for simple RPGS with doors and floors and kitchens and moms.

This game worked well in Unity. I just find it annoying now. Also the text interface sucks ass.

Last edited:

ThisKitty

Jun 7, 2017
And gameplay mechanics, well the public build releasing at the end of the month will finally bring the game onto the RPG maker engine (though will still play like a Visual Novel). There will also be an option to keep the game as a Visual Novel style play where you can skip over the battle / rpg mechanics that I was going to be adding in.
Honestly this is my biggest concern. RPG maker games always tend to add a lot of pointless grind and sprawling, half-implemented maps with stock tiles where I have to waste my time navigating pointless obstacles like rocks and shit, remembering locations/routes and pointless fetch quests crossing several maps. The battle / RPG mechanics seem unrelated to the story - simply being a way to extend the content of the game. I'd rather see more art and better story than have someone bolt on 2000s-era JRPG mechanics in the name of "fun". And I'd rather just transition between locations rather than hold right for a minute - or, worse, dodge several empty, uninteractable houses, rocks, wells, dogs, and other sprites to break up the monotony.

A massive amount of effort has to go into building an interactive map that doesn't feel hollow. Random NPCs, items, interactivity, new tiles / stock tile selection and layout, properly obstructing player movement (so they can't walk through cave walls, houses, rocks, etc). Most people end up making a series of very narrow passages or big, empty maps lined with rocks/lava. Enemies and random battles are everywhere and aren't balanced properly, so you either grind forever to not die to an ever-present monster plague, or you're forever fighting pointless scrubs just to get to the other side of a map to complete a quest that's deliberately all over the world to extend play time.

There's no easy way to quickly skip dialogue or accelerate text speed (The ctrl key for seen dialogue n RenPy is a godsend), so you end up slamming the enter key/button to skip it, and then you accidentally talk to the same long-winded asshole again. And of course nobody bothers to scale the UI and fonts properly on resize, and RPG maker is always screen tearing on scroll (e.g. when moving around a large map) in full screen unless you fiddle with GPU settings. Not sure if the NWJS builds still have screen tearing, but it's been a reality for a decade already. And let's not forget the inability to hide the text obscuring the lewds and other niceties like dialogue history, auto-advance and such that a real VN engine has but nobody bothers to add to RPG Maker because they spend time on battles. Which they then make me fight constantly because if they spent hours making that monster, the player should spend hours fighting it. Everybody makes RPG Maker games like they think it's the first time you've ever played a JRPG, and like it's the only time you'll ever sit through that particular 30-step "witty" dialogue about turtles.

And all of this takes a significant development time investment that I'd rather see invested in interesting plot, massive juicy plots, art, and animation. Making a fun, innovative JRPG game takes at least double the effort of lewd art and above average dialogue. I honestly don't understand why people insist on shoving it everywhere. It's one thing if you have like or two rooms with highly interactive shit in them interspersed with simple story progression, but dozens of maps end up being fucking tedious.

And of course saves randomly break between versions or the flags get changed between releases - making me have to slog through everything again periodically. Which makes me extremely frustrated following games with already slow release cycles. At least when someone breaks a RenPy game, I can drop in UnRen and use the source files and the console to work my way past it. Broken RPGMaker games are far more annoying to work around.

There are dozens of popular games with really good scene art on the RPG Maker engine that I skip because I'm tired of a new shade of lipstick on the same old pig. Your own Urban Demons game was a milestone of anti-convenience that fed my intolerance for the engine. It had some great ideas. And some of it was fun the first time around. But it broke a lot in unexpected ways, and the slow release pace, engine limitations and cavalier attitude to save migrations added an entirely unintended hellish meta spin to a game about hell.

I'm not saying you should port the game again to a new engine or toss the work you've done. If it's your best engine, I can understand wanting to use it. Familiar tools make for better and faster work. But for the love of sweet Carolina barbecued fingernails, patch up some of the eternal annoyances of RPGMaker that make it a bad choice for VNs and think twice about the developer cost and player cost before adding "neat" gameplay features.

Thanks for listening to my Ted Talk on user-friendly fapware and thanks for your work. I'm not sure how much of this is applicable to your plans. But if they're designed around generic JRPG mechanics and the stock RPG Maker message box behavior people will be ejaculating tears more than anything.

Reactions: 4Kirito

LokiLauffyson

Mar 16, 2019
Im unsure if i've done something wrong but for whatever reason my save files never stay. always when i quit the game and start it up again none of saves are there. could it be an issue with RPGM or something to that extent?

anonym0u5

Jun 21, 2020
Remember when I explained, in detail, why I was switching to a bimonthly release without degradation in content?

Remember how the game has been consistently updated to patrons for the past 2 and a half years?

But hey, since you're that keen to see the latest build, you can grab it here: :)

Page will be updated end of this month
How do you exit full screen mode in the new engine?

Reactions: King5amebob

anonym0u5

Jun 21, 2020
As I said, those two projects are my main projects. They occupy my working day hours of 9-5. The other one is done in time outside of that.

I'm not really sure how to talk about story without giving spoilers, so I'll keep the reply short. Each crew member will have their own full independent quest line. (Probably another 2 progression levels minimum per crew member). Floating crew members (like Shuma, Nix & Naetu) will have shorter, but still indepth progressions, leading to a point where they will have fulfilled their quest and leave your crew (allowing you to take someone new on). There will be post completion scenes for them too. Other characters will have smaller scenes and less impact on the game, but I'd like to make all characters appear more than once, but we will see on that front.

As for main story, I'll keep that under wraps. But what's presented so far, doesn't cover a huge amount and the focus in the future will switch to really ramping things up on that front.

As for sex - yes there will be a lot of sex.

And gameplay mechanics, well the public build releasing at the end of the month will finally bring the game onto the RPG maker engine (though will still play like a Visual Novel). There will also be an option to keep the game as a Visual Novel style play where you can skip over the battle / rpg mechanics that I was going to be adding in.

But the crux of the game will be similar to a tactics style game for crew combat, and I'm still deciding how I want to do ship combat. I want to avoid shmup style combat, even though it would be fairly easy to implement. Probably something turn based, possibly where you around trying to help out the different crew members in there stations, but this is all fairly early days on that front yet.

Hope that was informative!
This is just my opinion, but sadly i have to agree with others that rpgm isn't the type of engine you wanna associate with point & click games (which is the reason why house chores is kinda garbage in terms of gameplay).

If you're going for the rpgm route then may as well make it an rpg. Trust me on this & i mean no disrespects: no matter how hard you trying to "improve" on the point & click aspect of this engine, people will still shit on you cuz of how bad & limited it is compare to Renpy & the previous engine Unity.

So yea, you do you but my advise is just simply "if its rpgm, make it rpg". That engine when mix with point & click is a dumpsterfire (again, no disrespects).

• Red Heart
Reactions: BoycottedGuy

soyjari

Jun 29, 2018
going back to the old days, I like rpgm games as long as they have a guide, unless we're talking about a survival game xD

anonym0u5

Jun 21, 2020
going back to the old days, I like rpgm games as long as they have a guide, unless we're talking about a survival game xD
As long as its not point & click then the rpgm engine would do just fine.

Trust me on this, poitn & click does not goes well with the one engine that people primarily used keyboard to play. Nergal should've turned it into an actual rpg.

At this current point, its better to wait for a renpy remake, or gallery unlocker (a few pages back) or a save file so you don't have to go through the 9 circles of hell that is point & click rpgm (its that terrible).

Homealone

Jun 3, 2017
Bug after meeting first mate's sister Fae in prison, ( cant read null width or something ) brand new save, no back ups.

game seems fun, I hate to stop here cuz of a bug, help.

Reactions: John573

Naughty Underworld

Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
Im unsure if i've done something wrong but for whatever reason my save files never stay. always when i quit the game and start it up again none of saves are there. could it be an issue with RPGM or something to that extent?
You have extracted the game with 7zip right?

what's the point of the outfit unlocks, are these equipable?
Eventually you'll be able to tell the crew to wear then around the ship, and get scenes. Right now though, nothing.

Bug after meeting first mate's sister Fae in prison, ( cant read null width or something ) brand new save, no back ups.

game seems fun, I hate to stop here cuz of a bug, help.
Yeah a couple of people have reported that too. I'm going to look into and hopefully have a fix soon. Seems to only affected a small group so trying to figure out what the causes is.

Does anyone know where to go to change outfits?
You dont yet.

RPGM? Is the game any better or worse?
It plays pretty much the exact same as before.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but there seems to be a lot of missing material from the gallery?
I don't believe so? Unless you mean the checklist from before, being able to look at those images will be done via the scene replayed in the future.

Reactions: Hent_
4.00 star(s) 34 Votes