RenPythagorus

Jun 6, 2017
I did a rundown on the code for Zoe and it looks like her story questline is triggered from Charlotte's text messages??? I'm not 100% sure about that. Whatever logic drives when the girls send texts appears to be involved with triggering Zoe's quest once a few conditions have been met. I also can't get the quest line to start and I'm pretty sure I've met the conditionals.

Code:
<<if $tutor.Charlotte.main.storyStage is 0 and $tutor.Charlotte.text.one is 2 and $melissa.misc.StudyGroup >= 1>>
    <<set $tutor.Charlotte.main.storyStage to 1>>
    <<set $zoe.main.storyStage to 1>>
<</if>>
That is in the text message triggers section but I haven't figured out how it would get called yet.
Okay, I think I found the problem. After hitting the debug console, and looking up how to view Sugarcube variables, I was able to get this:

Code:
SugarCube.State.variables.zoe.main.storyStage
SugarCube.State.variables.tutor.Charlotte.main.storyStage
SugarCube.State.variables.melissa.misc.StudyGroup
SugarCube.State.variables.tutor.Charlotte.text.one
I found this in the HTML:
Code:
<<if $tutor[$tutorRandom].text.one is 2>><<set $tutor[$tutorRandom].text.one to 3>>"Did you like the picture I sent you?"<br><br>
This means if you level up Charlotte before you get to the study group, you completely miss out on activating Zoe's quest line.

BawdyBaron , I think the conditional for Zoe's quest should be changed to $tutor.Charlotte.text.one >= 2. Do you concur?

EDIT:

Continuing to go through the quest, it immediately jams again because it requires $melissa.main.storyStage to be 5. At this point, my game has her Stage at 12.
TEMP FIX --> setting $player.misc.zoeseen to TRUE.

No other issues seen with the questline once those hurdles were cleared.

Last edited:

BawdyBaron

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2018
After I meet at the diner a few times and she invites me to help her study Melissa is not showing up at the university library for me. I've already converted Dana is that why?
Dana shouldn't have any bearing on that.

When you go to the Library, there will be a button "Look for Melissa" between 15:00 and 17:00 on Mondays and Wednesdays. In hindsight, that's kind of a small window - I'll expand that a bit for the next update.

Okay, I think I found the problem. After hitting the debug console, and looking up how to view Sugarcube variables, I was able to get this:

Code:
SugarCube.State.variables.zoe.main.storyStage
SugarCube.State.variables.tutor.Charlotte.main.storyStage
SugarCube.State.variables.melissa.misc.StudyGroup
SugarCube.State.variables.tutor.Charlotte.text.one
I found this in the HTML:
Code:
<<if $tutor[$tutorRandom].text.one is 2>><<set $tutor[$tutorRandom].text.one to 3>>"Did you like the picture I sent you?"<br><br>
This means if you level up Charlotte before you get to the study group, you completely miss out on activating Zoe's quest line.

BawdyBaron , I think the conditional for Zoe's quest should be changed to $tutor.Charlotte.text.one >= 2. Do you concur?

EDIT:
Continuing to go through the quest, it immediately jams again because it requires $melissa.main.storyStage to be 5. At this point, my game has her Stage at 12.
TEMP FIX --> setting $player.misc.zoeseen to TRUE.

No other issues seen with the questline once those hurdles were cleared.
Thanks for digging this up! It's sometimes hard to imagine how other players are going to approach the game, so it's easy to break paths I didn't go down. I've already fixed the issue with Zoe's quest not triggering if you already have Charlotte levelled up in my working copy. You're right about it needing to be ">= 2" vs "is 2".

As for the next part, I don't see any bug there; the "$melissa.main.storyStage is 5" part doesn't interact with Zoe showing up (that's the code for Melissa showing up for your coffee date, and it's just adjacent to the code for Zoe showing up). Seeing Zoe there is just somewhat random, with code that makes it less random each time you load the page. Setting $player.misc.zoeseen to true just skips the randomness :)

Thanks again for taking the time to investigate the bugs! I hope to have a patch out soon to fix them for everyone.

Last edited:

RenPythagorus

Jun 6, 2017
As for the next part, I don't see any bug there; the "$melissa.main.storyStage is 5" part doesn't interact with Zoe showing up (that's the code for Melissa showing up for your coffee date, and it's just adjacent to the code for Zoe showing up). Seeing Zoe there is just somewhat random, with code that makes it less random each time you load the page. Setting $player.misc.zoeseen to true just skips the randomness :)

Thanks again for taking the time to investigate the bugs! I hope to have a patch out soon to fix them for everyone.
You're very welcome! I use these debug experiments to get better at reading/troubleshooting code which is (sometimes) part of my day job.

Okay, I see that Melissa's coffee event and Zoe are separate now. The formatting post compilation is a little confusing at times and it looked like they are connected. Now that I see it more clearly, it looks like you have to enter/exit the main Academic center about 5 times on average, with a max of 9, during school hours before she'll appear.

Reactions: BawdyBaron

SladeMage

Oct 27, 2019
Will it be possible to support keeping our saves during future updates? I've really enjoyed playing through previous releases, but I just can't bring myself to starting again now unless I know I won't have to start again next time.

BawdyBaron

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2018
so is there any way to get past the zoe bug in the current version please?
I haven't had a chance to test it, but the following should get it to work:

(The following instructions are for Chrome, there might be differences with other browsers)

While playing the game, open the browser console by hitting F12.

In that new window (make sure it's on the "Console" tab) type:
Code:
SugarCube.State.variables
then hit Enter.

Click the little arrow to expand the list that shows up.

Scroll down to "tutor" and click the arrow to expand it.

Expand "Charlotte".

Expand "Text".

Next to "one" it likely has a 3. Double click the 3 and change it to 2 and hit Enter.

You can now close the console window. In-game you should just have to change the current screen for it to take effect (travel, wait an hour, make a choice, just don't go "back" to the current screen or the change will be reverted).

Go to University between 15:00 and 17:00 and enter/exit the main academic building until Zoe randomly appears.

I hope that helps! I'm planning on releasing a patch on Monday or Tuesday that will fix the problem for good.

Reactions: Henry73au

BawdyBaron

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2018
Will it be possible to support keeping our saves during future updates? I've really enjoyed playing through previous releases, but I just can't bring myself to starting again now unless I know I won't have to start again next time.
I completely understand the feeling!

I'm going to try to go as long as possible without requiring new saves, but Twine doesn't make it easy.

Twine only really initializes new variables when you "restart" the game which means that, if I add major new content that uses previously non-existent variables, if you're using an old save and get to the new stuff it just wont work.

I've put in some placeholder variables in this version, which I can use for any new stuff coming up, so that should help. And there is a kind of ugly way of initializing variables outside of a restart, so I'll use that as necessary.

And beyond that, if I add content that changes existing content, or is triggered by something people have already done, then forcing a new save ensures everyone can access the new stuff.

So eventually I'll have to release v0.4.0 which will break saves again. I don't know how long that will be, but hopefully 6+ months away. I'm really hoping I can get to at least something like v0.3.20 before the next Major update.

tmking

Sep 18, 2017
I completely understand the feeling!

I'm going to try to go as long as possible without requiring new saves, but Twine doesn't make it easy.

Twine only really initializes new variables when you "restart" the game which means that, if I add major new content that uses previously non-existent variables, if you're using an old save and get to the new stuff it just wont work.

I've put in some placeholder variables in this version, which I can use for any new stuff coming up, so that should help. And there is a kind of ugly way of initializing variables outside of a restart, so I'll use that as necessary.

And beyond that, if I add content that changes existing content, or is triggered by something people have already done, then forcing a new save ensures everyone can access the new stuff.

So eventually I'll have to release v0.4.0 which will break saves again. I don't know how long that will be, but hopefully 6+ months away. I'm really hoping I can get to at least something like v0.3.20 before the next Major update.
Maybe you can include a save that does work with the new version that stops right before the new content in the future. I enjoy this game but, will probably wait for another update or two to play again since I have to start over.

Reactions: BawdyBaron

SladeMage

Oct 27, 2019
I've done some Twine development myself so I know the frustration you're describing with save compatibility. Some devs have worked around this, either by adding a button that manually instantiates your missing variables, or by adding a hidden handler for every page to automatically check your version and instantiate missing variables where necessary. Neither are easy or quick solutions, so I completely understand if you don't pursue them.

BawdyBaron

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2018
Update: Thunderous Business v0.3.1

Patch Notes:
  • Added a new, repeatable scene with Zoe.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented Zoe's questline from starting. (Thanks RenPythagorus)
  • Made a small change so the player is more likely to interact with Jesse. (Thanks Clyde Glavine)
  • Expanded Melissa's study hours. (Thanks thewingfan)
  • Fixed an issue that caused the player to not receive mana after their first scene with Zoe.
Saved games from v0.3.0 will work with this patch.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and bug reports so far!

If you like the game and want to see more progress consider supporting me on . Every bit helps!

BawdyBaron

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2018
Need to format the text to fit on screen...
Even with the side panel reduced, it cuts off the edge of the browser window.
Thanks for the bug report! I think this scene was built before I was even sure I was going to make this into a game, so I haven't looked at it in a very long time. It'll be fixed for the next patch.

Reactions: Henry73au

homerj30

Sep 14, 2020
so is there anything to do with jesse after the shopping trip? also, buying properties. what are the rewards?

Workdammit

May 6, 2017
I realize this is probably not anywhere near the top of your list of expected feedback, but in the physics tutoring, the following is claimed to be true:
"The Pauli Exclusion Principle states that no two particles may occupy the same quantum state simultaneously."

This is actually false. The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two fermions may occupy the same quantum states simultaneously. If it were the other way around, superconductivity, at least as we know it, would not work. Same for lasers and Bose-Einstein condensates.

Edit: A second error spotted: Baryons have an odd number of quarks. Although we know of no stable penta-quarks (particles with 4 quarks and one anti-quark, yielding baryon number = 1), some have been briefly created in experiments, and almost certainly would be created briefly in supernovae, so the question "A Baryon always consists of three quarks" should be false, not true.

Signed,
Vice Chairman of the Pedantic Society

Last edited:

caju

Oct 5, 2017
I realize this is probably not anywhere near the top of your list of expected feedback, but in the physics tutoring, the following is claimed to be true:
"The Pauli Exclusion Principle states that no two particles may occupy the same quantum state simultaneously."

This is actually false. The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two fermions may occupy the same quantum states simultaneously. If it were the other way around, superconductivity, at least as we know it, would not work. Same for lasers and Bose-Einstein condensates.

Edit: A second error spotted: Baryons have an odd number of quarks. Although we know of no stable penta-quarks (particles with 4 quarks and one anti-quark, yielding baryon number = 1), some have been briefly created in experiments, and almost certainly would be created briefly in supernovae, so the question "A Baryon always consists of three quarks" should be false, not true.

Signed,
Thank God someone finally said it!

BawdyBaron

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2018
so is there anything to do with jesse after the shopping trip? also, buying properties. what are the rewards?
Currently the shopping trip is as far as you can go with Jesse. There will be more content for her eventually though.

And the properties haven't been implemented yet. They're just there currently as a hint of future content.

Signed,
Thanks for the corrections! I am - clearly - not a physics whiz. I took all of the physics questions from online quizzes and test practice sheets. Seems that whatever site on which I found those particular questions isn't doing their students any favors.

BawdyBaron

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2018
Update: Thunderous Business v0.3.2

Patch Notes:
  • Added a new, repeatable scene with Zoe.
  • Added some random girls to make the world feel more populated.
  • Fixed a bug with Taylor's quest log (thanks snach)
  • Fixed a bug with Claire's contacts page (thanks snach).
  • Fixed a formatting issue with Julie's first lewd scene (thanks Xo Mo)
  • Fixed some errors in the physics trivia questions. (thanks Workdammit)
Saved games from v0.3.0 will work with this patch.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and bug reports!

If you like the game and want to see more progress consider supporting me on . Every bit helps!

3.80 star(s) 4 Votes