Mod Ren'Py Abandoned Time For Dragons - Defiler Wings: Deranged Dragon Mod [29-07-2020] [Jman]

3.50 star(s) 8 Votes

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
It takes a little while to start up, depending on your machine. But it would've done so by now.

OS? Can you run other Ren'Py games? Are you launching from some protected directory? AV shenanigans? Does the .exe show in your process list?

Laxard

Sep 5, 2018
Also, lots of literary dragons do keep their word. But they've either been hit with the Lawful Good nerf bat, or tend to interpret their 'word' somewhat differently from what mortals assume to be the case.
I actually had quite fun in the Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous by Owlcat Games when the Silver Dragon who supposed to be brave creature who aid weak at the time of her death thought how it's unfair that amazing creature like she is dying while trying to protect mere humans (and other races) during demon invasion and how if only she had a chance to run and abandon everyone in the city she supposed to protect she absolutely will.

And currently in the game, when you are robbing the maiden, she asks if the dragon will let her go.
"Dragons grins".

Malorn

Mar 9, 2018
Jman9 It sounds like a lot of the limits are down to dev time, and I do want to say I can agree with that. There is only so much time, and that time should only be spent on things you want to do or need doing.

"Yeah it would be ok, but I don't really feel like it" is actually a fairly reasonable justification for not doing something. Especially with a free project. My ideas were mostly meant to have fun, and likely represent part of what I would do as a dev were I you, I didn't mean to imply you ought to do any of them.

On the 'predator stealing prey' that actually is very realistic, for smaller dragons. Consider a tiny dragon for example, a fox might well see you as an inferior, especially with no fear boosting heads. Wolves will harass bears off of kills, so again for a medium dragon... And your average grizzly bear might well see you as an inferior at medium. I think none of them would ever see the dragon as prey, since it's obviously not, but it might see the dragon as another predator that could be chased off of a kill. I agree when the dragon gets large enough, this would cease to be a thing. Obviously, what you care to do is still more important, but I did want to defend the whole 'stupid predator' question.

As to the rest, well, you have a lot of changes, and it sounds like a lot of problems are going to be addressed already, so I'm looking forward to that far-off day.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
My ideas were mostly meant to have fun... I didn't mean to imply you ought to do any of them.
I don't mind ideas. I can even accommodate people who do insist on things (like Laxard :p). But I do have to prioritise.

And ideas are good, don't keep them to yourself. I would never have thought about making the dragon renege on the deal with the elves, or to make 'killy' knights chase you forever, because these things just don't occur with my playstyle.

...what I would do as a dev were I you...
If you feel sufficiently motivated, nothing prevents you from doings your own mod on top of mine. I'm even likely to steal it, that's how the foxes and bunnies came to be in the first place.

On the 'predator stealing prey' that actually is very realistic...
I'm no expert, but my impression is that predators don't really want to fight over prey. Harass and bully, yes. But any injury is quite possibly lethal for a solitary predator, and not that much better for a group predator. Trying to steal a piece of the prey, making a smaller predator back off (again, fear of injuries), harassing to draw the other off the carcass, sure. And even then that's probably somewhat learned behaviour (e.g. wolf packs vs natural reserve bears who are well-fed anyway, so less likely to escalate).

And if a completely new, strange predator shows up, one that's intensely jealous of its prey and has at least a tiny amount of supernatural fear about it... I doubt a fox is going to try fighting even a cat-sized dragon. A pack of wolves might against a lone one, but if the dragon also has a pack with him...

In principle, I could simulate this via retreating. But since combat in TfD is an all-out, life-or-death affair, withdrawing isn't really possible right now. Not without extensive extra scripting, taking into account party sizes, relative sizes, etc, etc. It might be interesting to create a 'solo forest dragon' sub-game but, again, priorities.

"Dragons grins".
The dragon has a whole special evolution for grinning. :D

Reactions: Laxard

Malorn

Mar 9, 2018
I'm no expert, but my impression is that predators don't really want to fight over prey. Harass and bully, yes. But any injury is quite possibly lethal for a solitary predator, and not that much better for a group predator. Trying to steal a piece of the prey, making a smaller predator back off (again, fear of injuries), harassing to draw the other off the carcass, sure. And even then that's probably somewhat learned behaviour (e.g. wolf packs vs natural reserve bears who are well-fed anyway, so less likely to escalate).

And if a completely new, strange predator shows up, one that's intensely jealous of its prey and has at least a tiny amount of supernatural fear about it... I doubt a fox is going to try fighting even a cat-sized dragon. A pack of wolves might against a lone one, but if the dragon also has a pack with him...
You are completely correct there. They are very unwilling to actually risk injury. The issue would that they might understand that the dragon wasn't playing by the same rules. So, for example, in reality a wolf pack will pressure even a grizzly bear if they have enough wolves, despite knowing that in a serious confrontation several wolves would be killed. The bear, in turn, knows that while it might be able to kill several wolves, and maybe even drive them away, it would risk severe injury. So both sides bluff a lot, and one side backs down.

An interesting parallel to the dragon is that Humans do not understand this game of bluff, and in turn send out confusing signals. This is one of the leading causes of animal attacks. The dragon... well, he may confuse them in a similar way. Why is something so much smaller acting so confident, etc. Of course, the dragon is also more of an animal, so perhaps at the same time, it might be better at communicating it's intentions. I mean, sometimes a bear is bluffed by a honey badger, because badgers are crazy and are willing to risk everything. I dunno, it's an interesting point, for admittedly a minor feature.

I just like the idea of more interruptions or forked paths to events, that aren't entirely based on menu choices. The idea that an event could start, and yet the player still might not be sure everything that might follow.

Reactions: Jman9

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I just like the idea of more interruptions or forked paths to events...
I don't disagree. But
  • I'm not a very creative person. I can steal, extend and fiddle with. Coming up with new interesting stuff, not so much.
  • I have bigger fish to fry, namely better tribute, demon invasion events, adding a few more branches to the deerbeasts and getting the elven adventuresses finally into the game.
If you or someone else wrote at least a semi-detailed script for extending any of the current events, I can add/tweak this with little trouble. I might even port over the tribute code to animal 'bluffing' when I'm done with it. But that's going to take a lot of effort before it's ready, and I haven't even started. Well, maybe a teensy little bit.

Ambjorn187

Sep 9, 2020
So, I decided to do some more submodding.
One of the things I did was to add a risk of running into forest patrols if you try to enter the enchanted forest.
it works mostly fine except I get a message
"Error! Bug with remembered location stamina use! Report this at once!"
I have no idea why.
Nothing bad seems to happen.
Edit: Solved it.

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Good to hear. The message is a harmless reminder that something is a bit iffy with event control flow.

Edit: I think I've since changed some stuff around to make it less of an issue. Ambjorn187: If you want the WIP scripts, just ask. I don't know if they'll help you that much, as there's unfinished business in several places. But with this dearth of updates and me spending too much time on (talking about) Brothel King lately... :cry:

Edit2: I came up with something to do about downsides for calling knights and thieves to your lair. The downside being that both will hear the rumours and come looking. And if you happen to not have one, you'll get a fresh roll to spawn him/her, with a considerably higher chance of success.

I guess you can game it to get lots of knights and thieves, but I don't think it's all that bad. Maybe I'll change my mind later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ambjorn187

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Fire giants live inside volcanoes and aren't visible while climbing. The ice palaces are.

Ambjorn187

Sep 9, 2020
So, I'm done with that submodding for now. What I did was add a few alternate paths to some existing events.

If someone have ideas to improve the text for the events(I'm not much of a writer), or some more events that could use alternate outcomes, I might listen.

Last edited:
  • Yay, new update!
Reactions: Jman9

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Interesting stuff. (y) Since I'm not a fan of multi-girl events, and a bunch of others are kind of at odds with some of my plans (code-wise, not necessarily concept-wise), I'll pass for now.

I do have some plans for multiple girls, but these involve high-fear tribute.

But remind me again if/when I put out an update. At that point I can probably entertain some of these event branches. I just might forget, is all.

Edit: Linked in the OP.

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I doubt anything will happen this year. I might give up on adding new events again and make a QoL update around New Year, maybe.

Zil Nalhir

Dec 23, 2017
ill keep a watch on this one I like where it is going but I haven't played it in some time. maybe in a few. Also noticed alot of mods that where talked about haven't looked into it yet but maybe some day. But I truly am curious is their a cheat mod for it as some of the pictures you have posted up seem to lean towards one. you know what to do and played it alot so money isn't an issue or two.. you so used cheats or know where to go in the script to change the money amount. just curious on this one is all.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
ill keep a watch on this one
(y)

Also noticed alot of mods that where talked about haven't looked into it yet but maybe some day.
There are some sub-mods linked in the OP. Usually, if I like them, I'll add them or something like them at one point.

But I truly am curious is their a cheat mod for it as some of the pictures you have posted up seem to lean towards one.
It's not hard to change the mod to cheat, or to just use the console. zzczys had a highly cheatet version, and I think WhiteAndSticky did, too. The OP screenshots are largely using debug mode, which is absolutely not recommended for playing.

you so used cheats or know where to go in the script to change the money amount. just curious on this one is all.
Eh, money is not really all that hard to come by in-game. There's a quest that needs a ridiculous amount of it, and isn't entirely impossible to complete. Food is usually a much bigger issue.

Zil Nalhir

Dec 23, 2017
(y)

There are some sub-mods linked in the OP. Usually, if I like them, I'll add them or something like them at one point.

It's not hard to change the mod to cheat, or to just use the console. zzczys had a highly cheatet version, and I think WhiteAndSticky did, too. The OP screenshots are largely using debug mode, which is absolutely not recommended for playing.

Eh, money is not really all that hard to come by in-game. There's a quest that needs a ridiculous amount of it, and isn't entirely impossible to complete. Food is usually a much bigger issue.

Ahhh all that makes alot more sense and thank you for taking the time to respond to me XD also today is my B-day so im pretty happy about it. so I am thinking about downloading it. Anyways I hope you are having a wonderful day <3 and keep being you boo boo ^_^

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Happy birthday, then!

At least early game is pretty much playable, so go wild. Don't forget the hotfix. Maybe start on easy+medium size unless you're okay with throwing your birthday cake at the wall. :p

3.50 star(s) 8 Votes