Mod Ren'Py Abandoned Time For Dragons - Defiler Wings: Deranged Dragon Mod [29-07-2020] [Jman]

3.50 star(s) 8 Votes

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Can we have an android port ? Pretty please.
No, because I don't have a) anything to test one on and b) the time for it. Remember, I'm doing this largely so I can play the game the way I want to.

If you really want a port, I imagine you can make one without too much trouble. But that 'not too much' will probably still be man-hours if not man-days of work, which I don't have even if I wanted to do this.

I must be quite muddled, is kingdom fear reduced while sleeping?
Kingdom fear is [infamy level - mobilization], so if the latter increases, fear gets reduced.

Aug 18, 2020
So, a couple things: Thanks for the comments to the guide. There are a few pictures of rainbow dragons if you look up (iridescent dragon art) on google chrome at least. Same goes for tentacle heads and (eldritch dragon) and (eyeless fantasy hydra). Charbydiss from Warhammer Fantasy especially is good looking.

The way you play this game, specifically the RP aspect is limited. I tried to play a massive bronze wingless drake as my end goal, but content is locked behind both multi headedness as well as, of course, wings. Golden Head I feel should be changed to +2 mana +2 attack Can see the unseen, to +2 mana +2 attack +10 health to better reflect the metal heads = better survivability theme you have going, and some other evolution added to replace the Can See the Unseen feature. Maybe Piercing Eyes added to Special Evolutions for 10 or 20 satiety. Also, I should probably learn to mod the game myself, and it it personallly, but styles of play would be nice. Evos that increase minion effectivess, be it in combat or increasing maiden base power would fit a conniving dragon RP. Evos that increase the time a meat meal lasts and maybe even speeds up the rate of evolutions would fiit a theme of a gluttonous drake. Evos that add skills and ritual effectiveness would fit a magical beast playthrough. Stuff like that, y'know?

Also, I dont't really think that the Cage and basic Trap should require mana to construct, as those are required to complete the second quest, really putting a limiter on the next evolution. Also, probably another thing I should do and not request be done, but I think more building upgrades would be neat, and those be unlocked by the quests instead of the base building. Stuff like an infirmary that heals minion inside for double normal value that gets upgraded to midwife's tent, in turn upgraded to pit or farm.

Jul 8, 2019
So I got my dragon's knowledge about Darkshire/Darkwood to 100 and unlocked this "Edge of Darkwood" screen:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Clicking on any of the options on the left ("A little bit", etc) produces an error:
when choosing "A little bit":
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/_story/lair conquest/elves_conquest.rpy", line 30, in script call
    $ renpy.call(enc)
  File "game/_script/utility/main_screen.rpy", line 219, in script
    python:
  File "game/_script/utility/main_screen.rpy", line 222, in <module>
    result = ui.interact()
  File "renpy/common/00action_other.rpy", line 517, in __call__
    rv = self.callable(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "game/_story/darkwood/darkwood_class.rpy", line 74, in bonus_event
    dragon.stat('actions',-1)
  File "game/_script/characters/PlayableCharacter.rpy", line 460, in stat
    date.inc(time=1,suppress_notify = suppress_notify)
  File "game/_script/subsystem/date.rpy", line 22, in inc
    lair.living_expences_prisoners(time = time, notify=not suppress_notify)
  File "game/_script/lair/lair - classes.rpy", line 781, in living_expences_prisoners
    renpy.call_screen('alert_action',txt=report,multiline=true)
Exception: Cannot start an interaction in the middle of an interaction, without creating a new context.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    $ renpy.call(enc)
    python:
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\ast.py", line 900, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\python.py", line 1930, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
    result = ui.interact()
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\ui.py", line 289, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\core.py", line 2690, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\core.py", line 3493, in interact_core
    rv = root_widget.event(ev, x, y, 0)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\layout.py", line 998, in event
    rv = i.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, cst)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\transition.py", line 47, in event
    return self.new_widget.event(ev, x, y, st)  # E1101
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\layout.py", line 998, in event
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\screen.py", line 697, in event
    rv = self.child.event(ev, x, y, st)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\transform.py", line 882, in event
    rv = d.event(ev, cx, cy, st)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\layout.py", line 244, in event
    rv = d.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, st)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\layout.py", line 244, in event
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 923, in event
    return handle_click(self.clicked)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 858, in handle_click
    rv = run(action)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 320, in run
    return action(*args, **kwargs)
  File "game/_script/lair/lair - classes.rpy", line 781, in living_expences_prisoners
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\exports.py", line 2875, in call_screen
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\ui.py", line 289, in interact
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\core.py", line 2668, in interact
    raise Exception("Cannot start an interaction in the middle of an interaction, without creating a new context.")
Exception: Cannot start an interaction in the middle of an interaction, without creating a new context.

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.2.2.491
Время для Драконов: Королевство Монстров 29-07-20
Sat Aug 29 00:33:22 2020
Clicking on Ignore will put you back on the map screen with one less point of stamina for the errors from "A little bit" and "Strong". Ignoring the errors that pop up if you choose "Little" or "Exclusive" instead kicks you back to the main menu.

The options on the right all do absolutely nothing.

Also it's super unclear what this screen is trying to tell me. I have no idea what a "Lantern Cycle" is supposed to be. I'm guessing the options on the left are for more thorough exploration of Darkwood to raise knowledge again, but there's no indication what the numbers are supposed to represent. Are they chance of success? Some kind of resource cost or requirement?
The options on the right are similarly puzzling. I ran into the white lion and some mutated antelopes while exploring Darkwood, but what's that about their knowledge of the dragon's lair? Should that maybe be the dragon's knowledge of their lair instead? Also once again I don't know what the bracketed 10 on the Get Info button is supposed to indicate.

"Close" is pretty much the only button on this screen I know what to do with lol.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Thanks for the comments to the guide.
You're welcome. I do want the guide to be useful, and it gave me some ideas about improving things.

There are a few pictures of rainbow dragons if you look up (iridescent dragon art) on google chrome at least.
For some reason DDG gets me a better picture selection than Google. :confused:

But this is mostly a luxury, for when I have time left over. Collecting sufficient numbers of pictures and cropping them takes quite a while.

If you really want this and can get me 10-12 200x200 portraits of each, I can easily add them. Otherwise, this will have to wait, probably for quite a while.

The way you play this game, specifically the RP aspect is limited. I tried to play a massive bronze wingless drake as my end goal, but content is locked behind both multi headedness as well as, of course, wings.
Yeah, that part of DW isn't very well supported. Wings aren't technicaly necessary, but they're very handy. You can probably switch your one head around for specific tasks, but then you're not really a Bronze dragon any more.

reflect the metal heads = better survivability theme you have going
That's only the hard metal heads. Gold is soft, nobody made battlefield weapons out of gold or silver for a reason. :)

some other evolution added to replace the Can See the Unseen feature.

Maybe Piercing Eyes added to Special Evolutions for 10 or 20 satiety.
That feature is straight out of DW, and scales with the number of Gold heads. Converting it to eyes is going to be a pain, and if all heads can get those, it will make your head choices less impactful.

Evos that increase minion effectivess, be it in combat or increasing maiden base power would fit a conniving dragon RP.
Building cages and manning them with minions (including girl minions) already does this.

Getting better minions will be all about impregnating the rarer girl types. I think endgame minions are quite powerful on their own, the best one being 300HP/24-60DAM(magic)/heavy resistances. And these stats can be further improved via Cages or getting higher-quality eggs.

Evos that increase the time a meat meal lasts and maybe even speeds up the rate of evolutions would fiit a theme of a gluttonous drake.
Would probably be OP as hell. :( There are instant evolutions when you reach level 25+ and maximum size.

Evos that add skills and ritual effectiveness would fit a magical beast playthrough.
If I wanted more magic, I'd first look into porting over the original DW magic system. But I'm unsure if I will ever get around to doing that, since it will be a pretty complex and time-consuming task.

The skill system is really cludgy right now. I don't really want to mess with it any further.

And not everything needs to be an evolution, you know?

Also, I dont't really think that the Cage and basic Trap should require mana to construct
Good idea, done. Also for the Guard Post.

Also, probably another thing I should do and not request be done, but I think more building upgrades would be neat, and those be unlocked by the quests instead of the base building.
The reason buildings are unlocked by quests is to serve as an extended tutorial, making sure you can handle the previous ones before you play with new stuff. And it gives you a better sense of progression as well.

Stuff like an infirmary that heals minion inside for double normal value that gets upgraded to midwife's tent, in turn upgraded to pit or farm.
This kind of healing looks pretty micro-intensive, compared to just using milk. BTW, the Witch will no longer heal your minions, only yourself.

A minor issue with buildings is that the current twelve fit very nicely into the UI. Adding more means scrolling or downscaling, which will probably eat another hour+ of dev time.

Bottom line, all sorts of things could be done. But this is a mod, not an entirely new game, and I'm wise enough to limit my ambitions, at least in the short-to-medium term. The guys who started translating DW 1.4.1 never finished, for example. :p

zzczys

Jul 20, 2019
So I got my dragon's knowledge about Darkshire/Darkwood to 100 and unlocked this "Edge of Darkwood" screen:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Clicking on any of the options on the left ("A little bit", etc) produces an error:
when choosing "A little bit":
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
    $ renpy.call(enc)
    python:
    result = ui.interact()

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
    $ renpy.call(enc)
    python:
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\ast.py", line 900, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\python.py", line 1930, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
    result = ui.interact()
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\core.py", line 2690, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\core.py", line 3493, in interact_core
    rv = root_widget.event(ev, x, y, 0)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\transition.py", line 47, in event
    return self.new_widget.event(ev, x, y, st)  # E1101
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\screen.py", line 697, in event
    rv = self.child.event(ev, x, y, st)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\transform.py", line 882, in event
    rv = d.event(ev, cx, cy, st)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 923, in event
    return handle_click(self.clicked)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 858, in handle_click
    rv = run(action)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 320, in run
    return action(*args, **kwargs)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\exports.py", line 2875, in call_screen
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "C:\Users\kimba\Desktop\Time_for_Dragons-1.1.1-pc-DDM\renpy\display\core.py", line 2668, in interact
    raise Exception("Cannot start an interaction in the middle of an interaction, without creating a new context.")

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.2.2.491
Время для Драконов: Королевство Монстров 29-07-20
Sat Aug 29 00:33:22 2020
Clicking on Ignore will put you back on the map screen with one less point of stamina for the errors from "A little bit" and "Strong". Ignoring the errors that pop up if you choose "Little" or "Exclusive" instead kicks you back to the main menu.

The options on the right all do absolutely nothing.

Also it's super unclear what this screen is trying to tell me. I have no idea what a "Lantern Cycle" is supposed to be. I'm guessing the options on the left are for more thorough exploration of Darkwood to raise knowledge again, but there's no indication what the numbers are supposed to represent. Are they chance of success? Some kind of resource cost or requirement?
The options on the right are similarly puzzling. I ran into the white lion and some mutated antelopes while exploring Darkwood, but what's that about their knowledge of the dragon's lair? Should that maybe be the dragon's knowledge of their lair instead? Also once again I don't know what the bracketed 10 on the Get Info button is supposed to indicate.

"Close" is pretty much the only button on this screen I know what to do with lol.
I get this error even when no girls are pregnant.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Darkwood to 100 and unlocked this "Edge of Darkwood" screen:

Disable notifications under Lair - Orders. Won't solve all bugginess, but thanks for spotting this. I found and squashed several more Darkwood bugs because of you.

Also it's super unclear what this screen is trying to tell me. I have no idea what a "Lantern Cycle" is supposed to be.
Neither do I. :) It's inspired by some sort of boardgame I'm not familiar with. 'Lantern Cycle' is just fluff, you get +1 cycle per 100 knowledge gained.

I'm guessing the options on the left are for more thorough exploration of Darkwood to raise knowledge again, but there's no indication what the numbers are supposed to represent. Are they chance of success? Some kind of resource cost or requirement?
The numbers tell you how much 'knowlege' you spend when you click that button. This spent knowledge increases a hidden 'Darkwood roll', which makes the the next expedition's (auto-triggered by pressing the button) result better. Most Darkwood events come in three flavours, and increased rolls get you a higher chance of getting the better ones.

I ran into the white lion and some mutated antelopes while exploring Darkwood, but what's that about their knowledge of the dragon's lair? Should that maybe be the dragon's knowledge of their lair instead?
Yes. Good old Runglish. :p

Also once again I don't know what the bracketed 10 on the Get Info button is supposed to indicate.
Per-step 'knowledge' cost of finding their lair, again.

The whole Darkwood/Darkshire is pretty half-baked. We'll see if the next release will be a bit better.

I get this error even when no girls are pregnant.
But are your notifications still on? This shouldn't happen with them off, although the lair invasions seem to be broken.

Aug 18, 2020
Ok, stupid question time. I used the find command in Notpad++ to find that head_gold appears exactly 3 times? Once in the initial evolution thing, and twice again in the thief.rpy file in the lair folder in the _script, in the game folder. Does it bear any relation on detecting the Alv's den?

I plied my nonexistent skill at coding to, as stated in the previous paragraph, find the 3 areas the head_gold is found and then copy pasted the special_Fangs code into a new line, formatted like the others, 1 enter of space before the next item and after the copypasted code. I set the the values to reduced ones, and replaced the text with a new description, formatted like the other evo's text. Then I changed the initial code piece of special_Fangs to special_Eyes and replaced the occurences of head_gold to special_Eyes. I hoped this would add a new evolution under the specials tab and force the game to recognize not the occurence of the previous gold heads but the occurrence of this new Eyes evolution. I also removed the "Can see the Unseen" text from the Gold Head's description. Now, I made sure I saved the edits and double checked formatting, but when I open the game and either start a new save or use an existing one, the only thing changed is the description of the Gold Head, now with just it Shiny and pleasing. Where did I go wrong and how can I learn how to do this better without bothering you in the future?

zzczys

Jul 20, 2019
Paste the code section here?

The default gold head detects unseen things, which foils the thief.

To find the elf lair, you need to kill a ranger. You unlock the forest hatchery and a special item that opens the elf lair. Recall location to waste the place and get yourself a new lair choice.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
head_gold

thief.rpy

Does it bear any relation on detecting the Alv's den?
No, the Alves are not Unseen, they just magic you into getting lost. :) That thief thing is the only 'see the Unseen' effect, namely making your Dragon a lighter sleeper.

copy pasted the special_Fangs code into a new line, formatted like the others

changed the initial code piece of special_Fangs to special_Eyes

I open the game and either start a new save or use an existing one

Where did I go wrong
No idea, I just tried the same with the Ugliness evo and it worked. Note that evolutions don't change for ongoing saves. The only thing that might trip you is not changing 'need: not dragon.has_evo('special_Fangs')', but a starting dragon doesn't have fangs.

Console 'evolution['special_Eyes']' and see what it tells you. If it's missing, try 'evolution = dict_from_config_file('db/evolution.yaml')' and check the evolutions file for mistakes again.

how can I learn how to do this better without bothering you in the future?
In general, practice. :D

You unlock the forest hatchery and a special item that opens the elf lair.
Not any more you don't. That hatchery is now more powerful and gated behind despoiling the Tree

Aug 18, 2020
I have laid waste to the treant a few times, I just assumed you needed a Gold Head to find that little crystal thing. Good idea on the codde thing, will try that out. Dunno how to use the insert code function, hopefully this works. Also, as stated, I replaced the head_gold instances with special_Eyes, in the thief.rpy file.
Python:
special_Eyes:
  cost: 15
  element: phys
  eng_desc: Enhanced eyes can better see through enchantments and strike fear into hearts.
  eng_name: Piercing Eyes
  grant: {}
  need: ()
  rus_desc: TBD
  rus_name: TBD
  stats:
    atk: 1
    fear: 1

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Ignorable Idiot : Works for me. Are you sure you restarted the game?

Also, you'll probably need something like this:
Code:
need: dragon.count_evo('special_Eyes') < len(dragon.anatomy['head'])

zzczys

Jul 20, 2019
I have laid waste to the treant a few times, I just assumed you needed a Gold Head to find that little crystal thing. Good idea on the codde thing, will try that out. Dunno how to use the insert code function, hopefully this works. Also, as stated, I replaced the head_gold instances with special_Eyes, in the thief.rpy file.
Python:
special_Eyes:
  cost: 15
  element: phys
  eng_desc: Enhanced eyes can better see through enchantments and strike fear into hearts.
  eng_name: Piercing Eyes
  grant: {}
  need: ()
  rus_desc: TBD
  rus_name: TBD
  stats:
    atk: 1
    fear: 1
The need section perhaps needs to have some requirement;

need: not dragon.has_evo('special_Ugly')

so that you can no longer take the evolution when you already have it.

Heads, paws and wings have a slightly different need;

need: len(dragon.anatomy['wings']) < 4

this one means you can take the evolution, as long as you have not reached the max number, which is 4 types of wings.

Aug 18, 2020
Well, I switched it to "need: dragon.count_evo('special_Eyes') < 100" and it works. Thanks for the help. Imma write something up that will have my changes to the evolutions, now that I have a basic working knowledge and will make my own changes

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
No, the Darkwood monster lair invasions. You invading their lairs, not some mortals bothering yours.

zzczys

Jul 20, 2019
The numbers tell you how much 'knowlege' you spend when you click that button. This spent knowledge increases a hidden 'Darkwood roll', which makes the the next expedition's (auto-triggered by pressing the button) result better. Most Darkwood events come in three flavours, and increased rolls get you a higher chance of getting the better ones.
This one needs checking, i dont lose any knowledge using those buttons, but lose 1 sateity tho.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
I know, hence my comment 'I found and squashed several more Darkwood bugs because of you'.

Edit: And did you mean stamina, not satiety? Well, I guess satiety goes, too, but 1 satiety is pretty minor.

3.50 star(s) 8 Votes