Mod Ren'Py Abandoned Time For Dragons - Defiler Wings: Deranged Dragon Mod [29-07-2020] [Jman]

3.50 star(s) 8 Votes

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
See, I hadn't even seen mention of an altar at this point. That's how early this triggered for me.
Yah, I made that quest come earlier and added a tip to the Lady's chat about sacrificing virgins.

I threw my full strength at just one, plus all the buffs I could afford. I managed to inflict like 2hp damage across the entire fight.
They're demonic entities, vulnerable only to ice and acid. Get a 'useless' black or white head.

I didn't know what the infernal seals were counting down to, but I was keen to find out. I thought it might have been a good thing.
:ROFLMAO: Well, it's good in the sense that you get to see the Lady being banged. ;) Maybe. If you're a monster of a dragon.

Am I right in thinking that fear and poverty start the clock ticking?
The clock is always ticking. :D Currently, half a seal per day at 0 Kingdom fear, 1 seal for up to 9 fear, 2 seals for 10-15, 3 seals at 15-20 and 5 seals at 20. Will be a bit more lenient.

Poverty is only related inasmuch as it reduces mobilization, and fear is [infamy level - mobilization].

I'd been cheerfully ramping that up since that's what the mistress encourages you to do in the second quest.
Infamy is both bad and good, as you'd expect. I think some chat option outright tells you that people will come after you if your infamy is high. Well, so do demons. :p

Just as a suggestion - how about not starting the timer until the dragon spends a certain amount of XP? Maybe with a fear reset so all the seals don't all come down at once?
My goal with the seals was to introduce tension into the game right from the start. I'm pulling it back so that 0 Kingdom fear will stop the timer. How you achieve that is up to you (0-infamy run, let them keep mobilization up).

I like how the various systems interact with each other, and how you can fail and learn to do better. YMMV.

Is that the one where you can't sleep because you're starving, but you can't hunt down any food because you've run out of actions? Had that happen too, assumed it was a bug. Calling game over at that point would probably save a lot of pointless frustration.
Yeah, just put that in. Go to sleep in that situation, wake up dead. I'm not sure I accounted for all possible ways to stave off starvation, though, so sometimes it might trigger prematurely.

Either that, or let the dragon sleep and get 1hp and one action from it, give him a chance to steal a pig or something.
Well, the Dragon failed. Console in an action, or restart and do better.

Perhaps could allow for a saving event - caught a wandering animal by chance? Found a corpse?
How? You're stuck in your lair. Animals have probably learned by then that this is not a good place to take a walk. :D

What exactly did you do? Probably an indentation error.

docclox

Game Developer
Aug 20, 2016
They're demonic entities, vulnerable only to ice and acid. Get a 'useless' black or white head.
My XP at this point had gone on two size increases (so I didn't regularly get my ass kicked by farm girls) and a set of broad wings. Admittedly the wings don't seem to be as useful here as they were in DW, so I might not prioritize that next time. Still, it wasn't like I'd been squandering XP.

:ROFLMAO: Well, it's good in the sense that you get to see the Lady being banged. ;) Maybe. If you're a monster of a dragon.
Nope, didn't see that. I got an event about how the architot was attacking the capital, various summons called in to try and defend, and I had an option to join in or watch. Joining in got my ass kicked as you can imagine, so I just watched. No sing of the Lady.

My goal with the seals was to introduce tension into the game right from the start. I'm pulling it back so that 0 Kingdom fear will stop the timer. How you achieve that is up to you (0-infamy run, let them keep mobilization up).
Are they explained somewhere in some text that I skimmed over a bit too quickly? Only, not knowing what they were for, they didn't induce tension so much as mild curiosity.

Well, the Dragon failed. Console in an action, or restart and do better.
Hey, I have zero problem with it being game over.

I like how the various systems interact with each other, and how you can fail and learn to do better. YMMV.
I guess my point is that there doesn't seem to be enough feedback to determine what you did wrong in this instance. Unless I missed something which is entirely possible. But without that feedback, you can't really learn from your mistakes.

zzczys

Jul 20, 2019
Code:
                        if lair.selected_character.virgin:
                            lair.selected_character.was_virgin = True
                            if dragon.mana >= 1:
                                dragon.stat('mana',-1)
                                lair.selected_character.spawn_type = 'advanced'
                               if not lair.selected_character.permavirgin:
                                 lair.selected_character.virgin = False

if dragon.mana >= 1:
                                dragon.stat('mana',-1)

if rape.girl.virgin:
              $ rape.girl.was_virgin = True
              if dragon.mana >= 1:
                  $dragon.stat('mana',-1)
                  $ rape.girl.spawn_type = 'advanced'
          if not rape.girl.permavirgin:
            $ rape.girl.virgin = False

if rape.girl.virgin:
        $ rape.girl.was_virgin = True
        if dragon.mana >= 1:
            $dragon.stat('mana',-1)
            $ rape.girl.spawn_type = 'advanced'
    if not rape.girl.permavirgin:
      $ rape.girl.virgin = False
Dont see anything wrong?

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
My XP at this point had gone on two size increases (so I didn't regularly get my ass kicked by farm girls) and a set of broad wings.

Still, it wasn't like I'd been squandering XP.
How many days in were you? I suspect it was again high infamy/fear that tripped you.

Admittedly the wings don't seem to be as useful here as they were in DW, so I might not prioritize that next time.
Wings are a bit of a luxury, and will get a little bit of love in the future.

Anyway, what was so useful about wings in DW that it doesn't compare anymore?

No sing of the Lady.
You have to beat the big bad first. :D

Are they explained somewhere in some text that I skimmed over a bit too quickly?
Not really, except for my post here. I'll put in a big bad warning in the future.

I guess my point is that there doesn't seem to be enough feedback to determine what you did wrong in this instance.
But without that feedback, you can't really learn from your mistakes.
Well, the demons invaded when the timer ticked down. Learn to keep it up?

There's scant feedback, true, but remember, this is a mod. I'm adding stuff into an already existing game, and might occasionally assume that players are at least generally conversant with base game mechanics.

Unless I missed something which is entirely possible.
Well, there's a line in tavern rumours that tells you how bad the demon situation is, a timer, and the occasional cultists who say 'Legion is rising!' if you fail. All this kinda points to demons invading being bad.

But you're right that it's all circumstantial, so there will be a big, in-your-face warning at the start of the game.

Dont see anything wrong?
Should be like this (subtle, I know :D):
Code:
                            if dragon.mana >= 1:
                                dragon.stat('mana',-1)
The other two look okay, and compile fine for me.

zzczys

Jul 20, 2019
Good idea. I'll add a 'permavirgin' property. All you need is replacing this in 'Girl.rpy':
Just started to think, i think thats not the right place to put that line, it would make all girls perma virgin. Perhaps for some of the different if origin statement?

Or should it start false for every girl?

docclox

Game Developer
Aug 20, 2016
How many days in were you? I suspect it was again high infamy/fear that tripped you.
Where does it say? The info screen says 24y 8m 10d if that helps.

I have to say, I hadn't been in a hurry. When I realised you'd done away with the time limits on individual quests and the "continued in the next generation" mechanism, I assumed we were meant to take a more laid back approach. With hindsight, that clearly wasn't a valid assumption :)

Wings are a bit of a luxury, and will get a little bit of love in the future.

Anyway, what was so useful about wings in DW that it doesn't compare anymore?
Mainly I was hoping to swoop down into the market to grab an easy wench. Clearly this capital city guards its market place a bit more dilligently, so that's not an option. Without that, they're mainly useful for the extra actions (which I can get cheaper elsewhere) and access to the sky (which I wasn't tough enough to really exploit).

You have to beat the big bad first. :D
Yeah, I was miles and miles away from that ever happening.

Well, the demons invaded when the timer ticked down. Learn to keep it up?
See, from my point of view, the demons invaded when I finally got my set of wings. I'd not been watching the eal counter particularly closely and I wouldn't have made the connection at all if I hadn't asked in this thread. (I hadn't been spending much time with the smugglers, since gold was still tight and I figured I had better uses for my money).

There's scant feedback, true, but remember, this is a mod. I'm adding stuff into an already existing game, and might occasionally assume that players are at least generally conversant with base game mechanics.
I played DW to death some time ago. I don't remember any infernal seals mechanism. I do remember time limits on a each individual mission, but that's about it.

But you're right that it's all circumstantial, so there will be a big, in-your-face warning at the start of the game.
It needs something like that, certainly. If the game can shut down like that, just as it's getting interesting, you want your players to at least understand what happened and why.

zzczys

Jul 20, 2019
I played DW to death some time ago. I don't remember any infernal seals mechanism. I do remember time limits on a each individual mission, but that's about it.
There was, but it went by another name, and did not tick down until you refuse the summoning event where a random girl is being sacrificed. Letting the girl get sacrificed will tick down the seals. Winning the encounter would get you the girl and quite banged up, since there is presently no resistance to magic attacks used by the cultists.

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
...it would make all girls perma virgin.
No, it prevents permavirgins from losing their virginity.

Or should it start false for every girl?
It starts false, I said you have to add that, too.

Where does it say? The info screen says 24y 8m 10d if that helps.
Nowhere. The date is random. I'm putting in an 'Era Draconis' date that starts with year 1, but days aren't counted anywhere. IDK where to put such info, either.

You just have to guesstimate, for now.

...I assumed we were meant to take a more laid back approach. With hindsight, that clearly wasn't a valid assumption
:LOL: Yeah, you can be a laid back dragon. Laid back dragons don't live too long. :D

Mainly I was hoping to swoop down into the market to grab an easy wench. Clearly this capital city guards its market place a bit more dilligently, so that's not an option.
In the WIP version, the wings will allow you to skip the walls battle, which is much harder than the city watch. And you ain't seen nothing yet, there will be eight-round battles with the King and multiple angels defending the Cathedral ruins in some situations. :cool:

If you want an easy townie, go steal one from the brothel.

I'd not been watching the eal counter particularly closely
I guess I can make a splashscreen warning for that.

I hadn't been spending much time with the smugglers, since gold was still tight and I figured I had better uses for my money.
Smugglers' tavern rumours are free. The city tavern also gives the same ones.

I played DW to death some time ago. I don't remember any infernal seals mechanism.
It was there, but a lot less visible. The 1.4.1 demon endgame was also a lot more complex, with Jasmine Violet demolishing the fourth wall and everything. :D

...you want your players to at least understand what happened and why.
What happened is pretty obvious. :p

As zzczys says, the original TfD reflected that pretty closely.

docclox

Game Developer
Aug 20, 2016
There was, but it went by another name, and did not tick down until you refuse the summoning event where a random girl is being sacrificed.
Was that a 1.4 thing? I never did play that version all the way through. The one I tried had a lot of untranslated stuff in it, and my russki yazik was never that good in the first place. I seem to recall that there was a more complete one released later, and it's been kind of on my to-play list, but I never quite got around to it.

What I remember is you do the dragon quests and then either build an army to attack the capital, or if you feel lucky, have a go at the lady herself. I don't remember altars and summoning events at all.

What happened is pretty obvious. :p
Well from a purely games mechanics, a-fuckton-of-invincible-demons-turned-up-out-of-nowhere perspective, then sure, obviously. From a deeper, game-lore, trying-to-understand-what's-going-on point of view, not so much.

Last edited:

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
Doesnt that start as true?
No, you must add that to Girl.rpy, and then also add it to all the girls you already have. Look at my post again for the syntax.

Mid game modding always has bumps;
Use enter to write the cycles onto multiple lines, and remember to do proper indentation. Execute by erasing all the pre-filled space on the last line and pressing enter.

Was that a 1.4 thing?
Probably. Time for Dragons obviously takes a lot of stuff from 1.4.1.

...and my russki yazik was never that good in the first place.
Don't tell tell me about it. Eleven years of public schooling spent mostly not learning the language because people broke the Iron Curtain when I was young(er). :(

I seem to recall that there was a more complete one released later, and it's been kind of on my to-play list, but I never quite got around to it.
There was a translation effort that ultimately died out. I'm still dreading proofreading all of rape_labels.rpy because of Ahrin Mahariel's insanely detailed additions.

Well from a purely games mechanics, a-fuckton-of-invincible-demons-turned-up-out-of-nowhere perspective, then sure, obviously. From a deeper, game-lore, trying-to-understand-what's-going-on point of view, not so much.
Lorewise, the game outright tells you people got desperate because of your rampaging, and summoned a demon to handle you. Who promptly does what every summoned demon is legally mandated to do, turns on its summoners. :D

Game mechanics are a bit opaque, that I'll grant you.

zzczys

Jul 20, 2019
Use enter to write the cycles onto multiple lines, and remember to do proper indentation. Execute by erasing all the pre-filled space on the last line and pressing enter.
Enter executes the code, I am trying to find how to write multiple line in console.

Nothing seems to work, I must be half blind;

1598876478731.png

Last edited:

zzczys

Jul 20, 2019
egg power;

if unit.spawn_type == 'advanced' or unit.name == 'Queen Alarielle':
core = MonsterCore(random.randint(unit.core_power,unit.core_power+unit.power),unit.advanced_spawn)

1598882820606.png

core_power is 20 in files but hidden here.

power is 4

egg power should be anywhere from 20-24. Did I get that right or miss numbers?

Jman9

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2019
egg power should be anywhere from 20-24. Did I get that right or miss numbers?
Yes, that's right. A pregnant Alarielle should display 20-24 as well.

Although I don't recall setting her that high. o_O Normal elves get 7-9 core power.

core_power is 20 in files but hidden here.
It's hidden because the only time that value actually matters, it's displayed as above.

zzczys

Jul 20, 2019
Console check shows core power 20, permavirgin set to true.

1598883521239.png

egg power should be from 20-38.

1598883639872.png

something is not right

3.50 star(s) 8 Votes