septacycell

Dec 27, 2017
This games can collect and send anonymous user statistics over internet to Unity if you allow it through the firewall. This is only to help the developers see how many people are playing, if you don't like it you can block it via firewall!
This and Patreon games in general are installed and re-installed multiple times, a pirated copy counts too, and with the new Unity policy about having to pay per install, I wonder what will happen to these sort of games.

Reactions: splamo

Queen Rat

Jul 5, 2021
This and Patreon games in general are installed and re-installed multiple times, a pirated copy counts too, and with the new Unity policy about having to pay per install, I wonder what will happen to these sort of games.
You only start paying if the game has been downloaded 200,000 times AND makes $200,000 per year. Unity has now backtracked and stated that only one download per device will be counted, but still, very few Unity games around here make $200,000 per year. But say you get lucky, upgrade to Unity Pro and that threshold moves to $1,000,000 revenue per year, at which point you can probably afford to pay for the engine!

Reactions: Nemo56

septacycell

Dec 27, 2017
You only start paying if the game has been downloaded 200,000 times AND makes $200,000 per year. Unity has now backtracked and stated that only one download per device will be counted, but still, very few Unity games around here make $200,000 per year. But say you get lucky, upgrade to Unity Pro and that threshold moves to $1,000,000 revenue per year, at which point you can probably afford to pay for the engine!
Where did they say that? As of right now
1694601954163.png

EDIT: Ah found it, the typical "foot in the door technique".
1694604183556.png

Streaming services like Xcloud/Amazon Luna/PS Now have to pay, they have million of servers, new one are added and old one are replaced, that is million of servers.

How is the device identity established? I can just use a Sandbox or a Virtual Machine, multiple istances of "different" hardware, rent a VPN or a botnet.
What if the server that has to receive this data is under DDOS attack, does this force developer to make every Unity game connected to the internet? If they allow you to play offline are they going against the TOS?

I feel sorry for any Patreon dev.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brovalon

Bryan_Colt

Jul 19, 2017
you pay you publish you can not pay you vanish this is how i see it. also i do not see a game here to make 1 000 000 $ a year.

Brovalon

Jan 11, 2020
Where did they say that? As of right now
View attachment 2926271

EDIT: Ah found it, the typical "foot in the door technique".
View attachment 2926362

Streaming services like Xcloud/Amazon Luna/PS Now have to pay, they have million of servers, new one are added and old one are replaced, that is million of servers.

How is the device identity established? I can just use a Sandbox or a Virtual Machine, multiple istances of "different" hardware, rent a VPN or a botnet.
What if the server that has to receive this data is under DDOS attack, does this force developer to make every Unity game connected to the internet? If they allow you to play offline are they going against the TOS?

Yeah this is definitely a blow to Game Dev, and not only for these types of games. Any kind of game that a studio might hope to take off could be in trouble if it's being self published and doesn't have the backing of a larger company - success (and that for a traditional game could be less copies than we'd think) now has a cost that takes this great engine and makes it smeared in feces really.

zaqrwe

Jun 29, 2018
While I like this game more than most, I'm very glad than I'm not a patron even tho I was so hyped when I first found this. Paying whole year to have privilleges(like early release... ONCE A YEAR) equals basically cost of entire finished game, and this one is there 3 years already? I'm not gonna give my money regularly for the sake of someone barely working. Finish it and sell as whole, then we'll talk about paying.

Cunt

Supreme Asshole
Uploader
Donor
Compressor
Feb 7, 2019
While I like this game more than most, I'm very glad than I'm not a patron even tho I was so hyped when I first found this. Paying whole year to have privilleges(like early release... ONCE A YEAR) equals basically cost of entire finished game, and this one is there 3 years already? I'm not gonna give my money regularly for the sake of someone barely working. Finish it and sell as whole, then we'll talk about paying.
Well tbf, you can always stay at a low tier, like 10€ Year and only switch to the tier that provides the game once it releases.I do it like this with many games since there is now way i pay 120€ a year to get 3 updates, even AAA games aren't that expensive :KEK:

Reactions: Sirren and joni51

Burgundy

Jul 26, 2017
I wonder how they'll measure revenue. Most patreon devs would probably go under the radar and thus wouldn't have to pay. Otherwise yeah, it's pretty iffy. And yeah, games are gonna be always-online now, unless they pay for the enterprise tier, which I doubt many devs on here would do.

That being said I bet Unity will walk it back, it's too much of a PR disaster, they have to.

DavyDaoist

Jun 12, 2020
Changing contract like that is illegal, and some really big games like pokemon go & CoD mobile uses it. So, that’s both Microsoft Activision and Nintendo in court + a potential group of smaller devs.

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
I wonder what will happen to this game if the geniuses at unity don't walk back on their decision... Is there actually any advantage in making a game like this in unity instead of just using renpy like pretty much every other visual novel on this forum?
Unless this game meets the set thresholds, it will be unaffected. However, I really feel there is no reason to use Unity over Ren'Py for a game like this.

4.60 star(s) 120 Votes