DikiySwin

Jan 21, 2018
The last update of the game was freaky! We look forward to continuing! Bacon and his mom are doing incredibly sexy things together in my fantasies. And Bacon's capacity for scientific experiments is blowing up the brain in general.

Kryptozoid

Sep 3, 2016
I was too impatient so I checked replays from last update, and it reminded me that spacebar doesn't work in the beginning of a scene and left click works all the time. You might want to make both work all the time. It's weird.
Also, maybe unlock alternative routes in replay once we've finished an update, just to see what we missed.
I know I won't replay the whole update just to see 3 scenes I can't access in the replays. I could save before each choice and just replay these parts but it's annoying to find back only the saves that lead to another choice among many saves.
Lastly, replays should be available from the start menu. It's not natural to have to load then use your phone ingame. Not the most annoying thing, it's just that every other game does it this way so why is it different ?

Reactions: splamo

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
I was too impatient so I checked replays from last update, and it reminded me that spacebar doesn't work in the beginning of a scene and left click works all the time. You might want to make both work all the time. It's weird.
Also, maybe unlock alternative routes in replay once we've finished an update, just to see what we missed.
I know I won't replay the whole update just to see 3 scenes I can't access in the replays. I could save before each choice and just replay these parts but it's annoying to find back only the saves that lead to another choice among many saves.
Lastly, replays should be available from the start menu. It's not natural to have to load then use your phone ingame. Not the most annoying thing, it's just that every other game does it this way so why is it different ?
Hi

It's Becauase the scenes are built based on some previous choices etc, and putting a replay menu in the main menu that would have everything at once would fuck up the scenes a lot, imagine seeing different versions of text or repeats with modification or just jumping around in the dialogue. It would also skip a lot of bits where it doesnt make sense, It's not really practical. And it's not truly replaying if it shows you a bunch of differences from what you actually played.

So you have to load the save for the game to understand how to play out the replay for you based on your previous choices.

/A

Kryptozoid

Sep 3, 2016
Hi

It's Becauase the scenes are built based on some previous choices etc, and putting a replay menu in the main menu that would have everything at once would fuck up the scenes a lot, imagine seeing different versions of text or repeats with modification or just jumping around in the dialogue. It would also skip a lot of bits where it doesnt make sense, It's not really practical. And it's not truly replaying if it shows you a bunch of differences from what you actually played.

So you have to load the save for the game to understand how to play out the replay for you based on your previous choices.

/A
Nice of you to explain, but that doesn't make it good just because now I know why it's "bad" (again, not the worst thing but still a little annoying). Also other games also have scenes "built based on some previous choices etc" and it works from main menu anyways. I don't know anything about coding, but I guess other games are not made by Gandalf, and still they manage to do it from start menu.

Alternative solution to see different paths : I don't remember how it's done ingame, maybe it's partially done like this already but : If we have to use saves to see alternative routes, to make it user friendly, we'd need 2 things :
1.)When something branches out to an alternative ingame route : the game must say it clearly with a big red warning or something. Then player can save there.
2.)This big red warning (or an icon or whatever) must be visible in these kind of saves icon so we can easily start from there without looking and trying thru 30 saves. Or you can make an autosave with some special status/icon before each of these events.

Lastly : could you at least fix the spacebar/left click so that both work all the time ? Even without coding knowledge, it doesn't seem super complex. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Again, overall I love the game, but some details could be improved. I don't know if it's your case, but I noticed some coders are annoyed when we ask for a more comfortable user experience. I'm in the opinion that a coder's job is not over when it works. It's true at the beginning of a project, you don't have time to concentrate on details like this, I agree. But when after months/years, when everything major works pretty well, then in my opinion, it's time to make it as easy to use as a Nintendo game.

BorgiaBou

Jul 24, 2021
So can me bang some granny's in the next release or at least my gf mother? Do we get a suprise?

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
Nice of you to explain, but that doesn't make it good just because now I know why it's "bad" (again, not the worst thing but still a little annoying). Also other games also have scenes "built based on some previous choices etc" and it works from main menu anyways. I don't know anything about coding, but I guess other games are not made by Gandalf, and still they manage to do it from start menu.

Alternative solution to see different paths : I don't remember how it's done ingame, maybe it's partially done like this already but : If we have to use saves to see alternative routes, to make it user friendly, we'd need 2 things :
1.)When something branches out to an alternative ingame route : the game must say it clearly with a big red warning or something. Then player can save there.
2.)This big red warning (or an icon or whatever) must be visible in these kind of saves icon so we can easily start from there without looking and trying thru 30 saves. Or you can make an autosave with some special status/icon before each of these events.

Lastly : could you at least fix the spacebar/left click so that both work all the time ? Even without coding knowledge, it doesn't seem super complex. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Again, overall I love the game, but some details could be improved. I don't know if it's your case, but I noticed some coders are annoyed when we ask for a more comfortable user experience. I'm in the opinion that a coder's job is not over when it works. It's true at the beginning of a project, you don't have time to concentrate on details like this, I agree. But when after months/years, when everything major works pretty well, then in my opinion, it's time to make it as easy to use as a Nintendo game.
There are various ways for games to deal with the replays, keep in mind ren'py has been around for well over 10 years. I'm not denying that there are some better ways to deal with some things but we learn and improve constantly.

Also we have a unique feature which i don't think i have seen anywhere in any game (unless a more recent one has added it), called "Last choice" meaning every single choice in the game creates a save point within your playthrough so that you can always jump backwards as far as you want all the way back to the start. However mind you this is like loading back and back so you wont be able to go forward again, unless you save first, and then lets say last choice 6 times and then save that as a separate path. We try to make most choices very obvious to what our intent is with them. Again we've stated many times that we don't really punish players by including more, many choices are based on having less action with a woman you are not interested in, but not all choices are like this.

Also in some cases its impossible to say exactly how much a choice will impact the future in some scenes as we have every single choice a player makes at our disposal to decide paths in the future too. Some paths are a combination of multiple choices and some are simply just checking one choice.

There shouldnt be a difference between space and leftclick and all the other alternatives (there's like 5 different ways to go back and forth in dialogue), they should all be treated the same as they are in the same parts of the code however it might be missed somewhere. This is not something I have noticed myself as i have used spacebar or other alternative hotkeys like scrolling and whatnot. Might just be something with the spacebar mapping in one place of the code. We've probably listened more to UI feedback and improvements than any other dev that i can recall. We've added and changed so many things over the development for the better. The only thing we've had to remove unfortunately was the typewriter effect and we havent put that back in due to some issues with the new dialogue system for global translation support and new markup language, but it will come back one day. Noone has said a single word about it so, i guess it wasn't as big of a loss as I thought it would be. We're not trying to be ren'py though and i see feedback here complaining that it doesnt work more like renpy without going more into detail. One big detail is the save setup, but people have a bad habit of saving on every choice in the game in Ren'py, while here you can always go back in your choices automatically. I don't think that ren'py is good in every aspect either. The goal is the best VN experience one day, that's what drives me as the engine dev.

/A

Reactions: m1st3r1

Kryptozoid

Sep 3, 2016
Thanks for your detailed reply.

There are various ways for games to deal with the replays, keep in mind ren'py has been around for well over 10 years. I'm not denying that there are some better ways to deal with some things but we learn and improve constantly.
Of course I understand that Ren'Py is around for a long time, and I'm not telling you to copy it 100%. Just saying that when something becomes somewhat a "standard", then for the user's comfort, it should be applied. To caricature, it's like when someone had the idea to add a second button to the mouses, then everybody used it for contextual menus and other things, because it's practical, even if their competition does it too. Someone deciding to create an app and replace right click with F8 just to be different would not be liked :D

Also we have a unique feature which i don't think i have seen anywhere in any game (unless a more recent one has added it), called "Last choice" meaning every single choice in the game creates a save point within your playthrough so that you can always jump backwards as far as you want all the way back to the start. However mind you this is like loading back and back so you wont be able to go forward again, unless you save first, and then lets say last choice 6 times and then save that as a separate path. We try to make most choices very obvious to what our intent is with them. Again we've stated many times that we don't really punish players by including more, many choices are based on having less action with a woman you are not interested in, but not all choices are like this.
It's a good thing that it exists, and to be honest I didn't think about using it, because when I play, I usually do one path, and only wonder about other paths when I check replays. Or if I choose one path and I don't like it, I go back, but just one time.
Also, some people might enjoy this feature, but I don't have the patience for it and I'm probably not the only one. Loading 6 times (or more) to go back to a choice is a pain compared to just check what you missed in the replay's list of scenes.
And I think the heart of the problem is the frustration of seeing greyed stuff you can't get access to in the replay scenes list, even if you played the update till the end. I don't see a justification for it. It's not a type of game designed for hardcore gamers where you can enjoy replaying the same thing several times to find secrets and achievements.
Personnally I just think once the game detected that you finished an update, all paths should be unlocked for replays, even with some symbol added next to the scenes you didn't see in the first run. This way no frustration, no waste of time for the players.

There shouldnt be a difference between space and leftclick and all the other alternatives (there's like 5 different ways to go back and forth in dialogue), they should all be treated the same as they are in the same parts of the code however it might be missed somewhere. This is not something I have noticed myself as i have used spacebar or other alternative hotkeys like scrolling and whatnot. Might just be something with the spacebar mapping in one place of the code. We've probably listened more to UI feedback and improvements than any other dev that i can recall. We've added and changed so many things over the development for the better. The only thing we've had to remove unfortunately was the typewriter effect and we havent put that back in due to some issues with the new dialogue system for global translation support and new markup language, but it will come back one day. Noone has said a single word about it so, i guess it wasn't as big of a loss as I thought it would be. We're not trying to be ren'py though and i see feedback here complaining that it doesnt work more like renpy without going more into detail. One big detail is the save setup, but people have a bad habit of saving on every choice in the game in Ren'py, while here you can always go back in your choices automatically. I don't think that ren'py is good in every aspect either. The goal is the best VN experience one day, that's what drives me as the engine dev.

/A
I'll check exactly when the spacebar thing happens next time I try replay and tell you. :)

4.60 star(s) 120 Votes