Unity Titans University [v0.1.7] [TitansU]

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes

DoofusMan

Jun 25, 2019
Hey guys, almost ready for the 0.1 release. Probably going to drop it this Thursday so look out!

Have a lot of UI updates in this one along with the new models. Also got lighting done and reworked the clothing system now, it'll be much easier to make changes and add new outfits in the future.

View attachment 1470063

In model news, I got to work on Starfire! Starfire V1 is here and she'll definitely be ready for the 0.2 release (after probably several bugfix and UI updates in 0.1xx).

View attachment 1470068

(don't mind the neck line, I didn't combine the head and body at that point)
View attachment 1470067

So there were a couple things I wasn't able to get to, mainly head tracking and adding new clothes (I did add some new dress and shoe options but not many), there is also no changes to dialogue for now (that is one thing I want to get done for Ravens story before Starfire comes out).

Also still working on the shop to buy items, I've moved the shop to the new phone system (looks pretty basic right now and most buttons aren't usable) and also the start of the University management system where you can pick eventually pick schedules, school uniforms and also upgrades/extensions to the university.

View attachment 1470071 View attachment 1470072

So question for you guys, for the cutscenes that play out in the game, would you prefer more scripted sequences where you don't get the option to skip but it's smoothly timed out or the preference of visual novel style, where each line of dialogue plays and animations play on each line of dialogue. It's a bit harder to set up smooth animations when the character has to return to an idle each time so it will definitely take more time to get updates out.

The next update will probably be 2-3 months after this one, I'm obviously gonna be kicking ass on Halo Infinite. I'll still be working on the game though!

Let me know what you guys think below, and look forward to the update!

View attachment 1470059 View attachment 1470064 View attachment 1470067 View attachment 1470068 View attachment 1470071 View attachment 1470072
Duuuuuude, good going! Starfire looks nice! You clearly can recognize her while putting in your special esthetic touch. You're on the right track for sure! Glad to see how you expanded the map and functions!

For my vote I'd say the second one, VN style. Otherwise if you replay for different outcomes or etc it becomes paaaaaainful. So yeah take your time, it's ok if it takes longer man. Glad to see you still take time for yourself too, that's a really good thing!

• Red Heart
Reactions: ExtendedSpace

DoofusMan

Jun 25, 2019
the models are looking better (looks back 4 pages). A LOT better. Glad you didn't give up.
Just remember, lighting (especially ambient lights) play a big role in graphics. You could have a low poly model with basic textures and still make it look good with a decent 3point light, or a high poly 4K model but make it look crap with bad lighting.
So you might want to change the flood light in the room some time in the future. Maybe add some soft lights.
Yeah lighting and lighting engines are no joke. I mean, it's why a LOT of VFX usually take place in darker environments cuz you don't have to make the models look as good themselves. Like the Godzilla movies, with their fights constantly in dark scenery hahaha.

But yeah, people shit on Ray tracing but when properly used and with the right setup for it, shit looks incredible.
I mean, our whole eyesight is based on light reflecting from things if we boil it down a lot. It THE biggest player in a sense if you think about it. Things look different because of it, what is visible changes and depending on the environment and etc, perceived colors change!

fzdc

Jul 25, 2017
Yeah lighting and lighting engines are no joke. I mean, it's why a LOT of VFX usually take place in darker environments cuz you don't have to make the models look as good themselves. Like the Godzilla movies, with their fights constantly in dark scenery hahaha.

But yeah, people shit on Ray tracing but when properly used and with the right setup for it, shit looks incredible.
I mean, our whole eyesight is based on light reflecting from things if we boil it down a lot. It THE biggest player in a sense if you think about it. Things look different because of it, what is visible changes and depending on the environment and etc, perceived colors change!
Yep.
one of the hardest and sometimes most tedious jobs when designing games is the visual appearance.
How do you make something look good without the game running like a dumpster fire.
Obviously 8K textures and 30mil polygon models is not going to cut it unless you want to melt everyone's GPU.
So you have to spend days tinkering with lighting, bump maps, diffusion, reflections, illumination, software ray tracing, hardware ray tracing, etc.

The best examples of this:
Quake 2 remastered with Ray tracing and Minecraft with Ray Tracing.

DoofusMan

Jun 25, 2019
Yep.
one of the hardest and sometimes most tedious jobs when designing games is the visual appearance.
How do you make something look good without the game running like a dumpster fire.
Obviously 8K textures and 30mil polygon models is not going to cut it unless you want to melt everyone's GPU.
So you have to spend days tinkering with lighting, bump maps, diffusion, reflections, illumination, software ray tracing, hardware ray tracing, etc.

Yes exactly. It's an insane amount of work because without optimization the quality of your game goes down REAL quick. It's the biggest game of fine tuning for sure hahahaha!

And yeah exactly! Very good examples.

ExtendedSpace

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2017
the models are looking better (looks back 4 pages). A LOT better. Glad you didn't give up.
Just remember, lighting (especially ambient lights) play a big role in graphics. You could have a low poly model with basic textures and still make it look good with a decent 3point light, or a high poly 4K model but make it look crap with bad lighting.
So you might want to change the flood light in the room some time in the future. Maybe add some soft lights.
Hey Hey, yeah lighting is a whole beast that I can work on lol. I got some basic lighting done for now so that'll hold it over for a while. I'm probably gonna get to it a bit more in the coming months!

Reactions: DoofusMan

ExtendedSpace

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2017
why unity?
Ayy so here's my thought process for picking Unity:

1. Unreal didn't seem like a good choice for a game like this. While there is a lot of visual fidelity needed for 3D, Unreal seems like a maximum-realistic style graphics game that's set at a higher bar. Plus I think I found in my engine research that Unreal games start out with a bigger filesize, so trying to keep it as low as possible for now.

2. I have a bit of C# knowledge already and invested into a couple Unity systems since they are pretty accessible, with tons and tons of tutorials online.

3. I don't think Godot is solid enough in the 3D working area yet. I jumped into Godot a couple times but I just think Unity has been more manageable at this point.

4. I don't know any other engines that could cover 3D games as easily as the 3 above.

ExtendedSpace

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2017
Okay so here's a issue that I'm having and I'm hoping someone here can clue me in to how to fix. Trying to play on a laptop.. no big deal it has handled a lot of different games however when I load the game this is what I get...I would really like to try the game so any knowledge is appreciated
Hey man, I saw a couple comments talking about this, I'll definitely check it out this month! Hope you were able to get around it for now, I did set the initial screensize to 1920x1080 so maybe I should lower it to 1280x720 to see if that at least makes it adjustable.

I'm still working a bit on the screen settings and fullscreen, so hopefully that'll be long gone by the next build/

Reactions: nicoartamai

ExtendedSpace

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2017
Duuuuuude, good going! Starfire looks nice! You clearly can recognize her while putting in your special esthetic touch. You're on the right track for sure! Glad to see how you expanded the map and functions!

For my vote I'd say the second one, VN style. Otherwise if you replay for different outcomes or etc it becomes paaaaaainful. So yeah take your time, it's ok if it takes longer man. Glad to see you still take time for yourself too, that's a really good thing!
True that, I thought the VN style would have been a better approach for most in-game events. Maybe I'll make a little intro movie in blender instead of the black screen with text. I always planned on having the intro "pop" a bit more to set up the story.

• Red Heart

ExtendedSpace

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2017

Yeah I would love to get a couple weeks to fine tune the lighting and add some more lights in there to really enhance the look. I kinda just got it working without shadows looking like minecraft blocks and called it a day lol.

Yep.

I've been trying to keep the model size around 150-250k since I'm planning on having A BUNCH of characters (11 girls other than the main 3 if stretch goals are met).So far I haven't run into major performance issues with 2 characters on screen but who knows what'll happen if there's 2-3 girls in the room at a time. As far as I can tell there is def room for upscaling textures and models when all the major systems are completed.

• Red Heart

fzdc

Jul 25, 2017
Yeah I would love to get a couple weeks to fine tune the lighting and add some more lights in there to really enhance the look. I kinda just got it working without shadows looking like minecraft blocks and called it a day lol.

I've been trying to keep the model size around 150-250k since I'm planning on having A BUNCH of characters (11 girls other than the main 3 if stretch goals are met).So far I haven't run into major performance issues with 2 characters on screen but who knows what'll happen if there's 2-3 girls in the room at a time. As far as I can tell there is def room for upscaling textures and models when all the major systems are completed.
on my dev team when we were making a random gamejam, we had 1 dude who's ONLY job was to optimize performance.
We would throw a bunch of crap into the game, Zbrush high poly models with random scale textures, Maya models that were basically 3d scans, etc. If you dared open the project folder in Unreal, your PC would be frozen for 8 hours.

His job was to take every asset we yeeted into the folder and optimize it any way he could.
Basically we had a Test level with a character, some animations, objects and env lighting. If something lagged the scene, it had to be optimized. Either by down-scaling textures, reducing polys or just replacing assets.

So our design team was free to do whatever it wanted without worrying about logistics while he was having fun going Frankenstein on the assets.

• Haha

ExtendedSpace

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2017
on my dev team when we were making a random gamejam, we had 1 dude who's ONLY job was to optimize performance.
We would throw a bunch of crap into the game, Zbrush high poly models with random scale textures, Maya models that were basically 3d scans, etc. If you dared open the project folder in Unreal, your PC would be frozen for 8 hours.

His job was to take every asset we yeeted into the folder and optimize it any way he could.
Basically we had a Test level with a character, some animations, objects and env lighting. If something lagged the scene, it had to be optimized. Either by down-scaling textures, reducing polys or just replacing assets.

So our design team was free to do whatever it wanted without worrying about logistics while he was having fun going Frankenstein on the assets.
Man I wish I could pull a Dr. Manhattan and split off a part of me for optimizing lol. I did spend some time in blender optimizing the Raven and terrific models though for the next update, I'm using the Raven model as a base for new female characters so it's definitely speeding up the creation speed at least.

Who knows, further down the line I might be able to hire someone for that instead!

Reactions: fzdc and DoofusMan

DoofusMan

Jun 25, 2019
True that, I thought the VN style would have been a better approach for most in-game events. Maybe I'll make a little intro movie in blender instead of the black screen with text. I always planned on having the intro "pop" a bit more to set up the story.
That sounds great to me! :)

DoofusMan

Jun 25, 2019

Hey we gotta start somewhere. It's a first step. You'll get there in time. Baby steps bro, baby steps!

• Red Heart

DoofusMan

Jun 25, 2019

Yo that is dope and seems like a very functional and productive work pipeline. Noice.

DoofusMan

Jun 25, 2019
Man I wish I could pull a Dr. Manhattan and split off a part of me for optimizing lol. I did spend some time in blender optimizing the Raven and terrific models though for the next update, I'm using the Raven model as a base for new female characters so it's definitely speeding up the creation speed at least.

Who knows, further down the line I might be able to hire someone for that instead!
Yeah well once you've done it at least one time it just gets easier and easier with practice!

• Red Heart
4.00 star(s) 2 Votes