PVNUser

Jan 22, 2022
Unreal Engine change is certainly going to improve speed of development. I can't imagine how tedious it must be to pose and render shots in DAZ. Unreal's standard realtime rendering is almost certainly better and far faster -- The only obstacle is manually placing and posing characters, which Unreal can easily do and with a much easier workflow once you have done initial setup.

Reactions: User1230 and ITRoy

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
would the engine change significantly alter the aesthetics of the game?
If I understand it, its not an engine change but how the CG's are done.
Doing away with Daz and using Unreal Engine for all the new CG's staying with Ren'PY for the game.

But I could be wrong because have not seen the full post on patreon.

misfolk

Jan 22, 2021
Will Unreal Engine have testicular physics? The General's levitating balls have been the weirdest part of the game after the Goddess' levitating assistant.

PVNUser

Jan 22, 2022
would the engine change significantly alter the aesthetics of the game?
This is up to ITRoy. I have never used DAZ so I don't know about its capabilities in this respect, but Unreal's default lighting model is intended to emulate realistic lighting behavior quite accurately and so it seems likely that renders from Unreal will look different in some way. Most likely better/ more accurate shadows. Since ITRoy is aware of this, I expect he will actually be compensating for it, so the appearance of the game does not change too much. If I had to venture a guess the game might go from sitcom-style mostly-flat lighting to something with a little bit more scene depth (unless the ambient lighting is increased to eliminate noticeable shadows).

Most mesh assets are probably directly ported. Materials may have to be recreated in Unreal's material editor. I would not be surprised to see a jump in the quality of backgrounds since there is a huge amount of content and examples for environmental art. It would be much easier to create dynamic effects like fire, water splashes, blood spray, and uh, other liquids. In any case, a shift to Unreal certainly facilitates easily creating new scene locations, reusing them, modifying them. We could see some extremely beautiful scenes just from the demo/showcase material that is provided freely. Perhaps we will see real countryside, or visit some of the warzones. It's also extremely easy to create an army of soldiers, so we may see development in this direction.

For characters, with enough technical effort we could see significant improvements in things like skin & eye material quality. Unreal also has tools for cloth and hair which may help create more realistic and physically accurate behavior. How these handled will be interesting because DAZ may have its own approach here that may not be directly portable. This seems one of the largest technical-art hurdles since distinctive hairstyles will be important to maintain.

Reactions: User1230

Remembrance

Feb 1, 2020
Here is my Multi-Mod for ToBeAKing-Ch.10
*PS: I didn't play the game, so I don't know about choices. Made the mod from watching the variables.*

View attachment 2236773 View attachment 2236774 View attachment 2236775 View attachment 2236776
So, It's better to not tell kaylan about the princesses on the 1st opportunity.
Other than some text changing, everything remains the same & you miss out on a scene
IMG_20230216_230024.jpg
During the bethrotal scene only the dialogue is a bit different & the variables remain the same (even if the threesome variable is never actually checked) & you get the kaylanpissed in chapter 7 anyway if you have more than 1 princess in harem.

So overall, the only thing having kaylan_princesses=True during ch3s8 serves is to leave a gallery scene unlocked.

I know the mod was just from the script, so hope this helps (y)

• Red Heart
Reactions: DarkAssassin

DarkAssassin

I, for one, welcome our new android overlords.
Modder
Donor
Nov 2, 2017
So, It's better to not tell kaylan about the princesses on the 1st opportunity.
Other than some text changing, everything remains the same & you miss out on a scene
View attachment 2395541
During the bethrotal scene only the dialogue is a bit different & the variables remain the same (even if the threesome variable is never actually checked) & you get the kaylanpissed in chapter 7 anyway if you have more than 1 princess in harem.

So overall, the only thing having kaylan_princesses=True during ch3s8 serves is to leave a gallery scene unlocked.

I know the mod was just from the script, so hope this helps (y)
thank you. can you drop ss of the exact scene so I can make change next time easily?

Remembrance

Feb 1, 2020
thank you. can you drop ss of the exact scene so I can make change next time easily?
Damm, messed up bro. Ur mod is fine. The scene is only available if you don't get with any princess :whistle:
I think anyway. Gotta search more. Weird that only that scene is not unlocked, got me messed upo_O

Found it. So the scene is called persistent.ch3s8didNotTellKaylanORKaylanOnlyPath - which is why I made the mistake, cause the choice is to take that path.
"Don't tell Kaylan yet.":
$ kaylan_princesses_secret = True
jump ch3s8didNotTellKaylanORKaylanOnlyPath
It's weird cause you get the scene by picking the choice, but don't get it in the gallery cause the variable is locked behind if not cassia_sex and not valentina_sex
I got the scene from the choice but then I checked the gallery later & it wasn't there.

Looking at the code, about 80% of the scene is available by choosing to not tell, after which only 20% is locked behind the if statement. But the unlock variable is in that 20% so even if you see the scene, you don't unlock it. So tricky...

Anyway sorry to bother you with this mistake. :censored: :eek::sick:
Hope you didn't try to do any work before seeing this...:whistle:

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: DarkAssassin

aaachris

Oct 26, 2019
Saw the black background photoshoot renders on twitter. It depends on how much work he needs to do to make the renders look good. Might make his work faster if it is easy to do for him.

Harkonnan

Give me chiisana oppai!
Game Developer
Oct 24, 2020
I have to say faster is better. For me it's getting hard to remember what happened from one release to the next. 3-4 month development cycles and I forget what was going on in the story. If this can get use releases faster so I don't forget what was going on then I'm all for it.

I have enjoyed many VNs and was genuinely happy with the quality improvements DAZ games had over HS games, but the pushed back release schedules killed it for me. I personally think an HS game with a release every 4-5 weeks is preferable to a much better looking DAZ game every 3-4 months.

I guess my takeaway from this change to UE5 from DAZ is that it's a great one. I'm guessing once ITRoy gets used to the new tools we could get DAZ quality(or better) in the HS release times with no loss in content per release. Can't think of a better thing to happen to this great game.

Bom969

Jul 25, 2019
I think ITROy should still to what he knows atleast for the development of this game. I have seen multiple games in the past where the project either gets abandoned or the development cycle becomes large. From there it takes the developer a lot more time to get back.

3.90 star(s) 81 Votes