uhhhok

Sep 24, 2020

Dev Update #9
This past week was a bit frustrating. Writer's block reared its ugly head, which was especially troublesome since I have dozens of scenes to write. Thankfully, I did get rough drafts of 25 scenes finished. This is another big release, though I won't have an idea of whether it is bigger than Chapter 5 until I finish writing the remaining scenes. A lot of the scenes, while excellent in terms of advancing the story, are on the shorter side, so far. As always, the number of scenes doesn't translate directly to chapter length and playtime.
To Be A King Chapter 5 was released to the final patron tier. I hope the Tip tier is enjoying the latest release! If you do enjoy it, please spread the word on Discord, Reddit, or wherever else you might happen to discuss this type of game. As I mentioned in my last post, it is tough to get the word out about these games as you can't really publicize them in many places. Word of mouth is, by far, the best way to get folks looking at the game. One other quick note on that. I've decided to make To Be A King Chapter 4 available for free. Chapter 5 is nearly double the content, but Chapter 4 will give anyone trying out the game a better idea of what to expect. Chapter 5 is a Patreon exclusive, at least until a bit after the release of Chapter 6 here in a few months.
I have seen a few questions about how many chapters To Be A King will end up with once it is complete. I have no idea. That's my honest answer. I have a rough outline for the entire game, with notes on important things that need to happen in each release. But every time I sit down to write, the game takes on a life of its own, and I have to make adjustments (and often additions). At this stage, I doubt we will be at the halfway point for the game once Chapter 6 releases, but I am not going to drag the story out just to hit an arbitrary number. If I get to the point where the story is ready to be wrapped up, I'll finish it up then.
While I anticipate that To Be A King has several more months, if not years, of development ahead, I have started constructing the story for my next game. I will here: my next story will be very different from To Be A King. Since we are a long way off from that game having its first release, things can always change. But that is the current plan. I'm not investing much time yet in the next game - To Be A King has my focus. But it is nice as a change of pace to work on the new game without any pressure.
That's all from me this week. We aren't far away from having some new preview renders to show, but it may be a few more dev updates before I have that. WAY too soon for any ETA, of course, but my goal is 3-4 months between releases. One day someone will invent a system where I can dump my ideas for the game into the computer and have renders and a script come out fully formed. Come on, Elon Musk! Make it happen!

Back

Aug 3, 2017
I don't understand what a "Xor Response" is...
TBaK - Xor Response (4th Wall).jpg
Does it do anything? Clicking on it just seems to break immersion with a 4th wall response before looping back to the first two choices. The only things I dug up after a quick search is that it's a digital logic gate (which doesn't seem to apply here), and that Xor used to be a coder for the game (which probably doesn't have any affect on the game other than being some kind of Easter egg?). What does this "Xor Response" choice actually do, if anything, besides breaking immersion?

Thanks in advance for any helpful answers.

MadLad Nomad

Jul 16, 2020
Hopefully someone updates the tags, as I've mentioned this several times in this thread. The plan since the beginning is that this is full harem, with all the complexities that will entail. That will not change.

As to anything else in the future, I like surprising people and not giving away future plot elements. Hope you're enjoying the game.
Thanks mate... I really couldn't be arsed to go through page after page to find out , it doesn't seem like a game that would have any surprise undesirable content in my opinion, I was more eluding to other kinks

Deleted member 770309

Jul 23, 2018
Agreed, hence why i named my second character Aurelian after I noticed the roman theme on my blind playthrough.
I Wonder what time of Rome it is set in like has the Teutoburg forest massacre happened is there a Senate. Plus has the praetorian guard been Disbanded or are they still around.

Reactions: Solrane
May 15, 2018
Can you have sex with the oldest sister and the mom in the current version? I noticed in the mod you could toggle weather you creampied them or not, but I didn't get a scene with either.

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
I Wonder what time of Rome it is set in like has the Teutoburg forest massacre happened is there a Senate. Plus has the praetorian guard been Disbanded or are they still around.
Hard to say, thought there are few things ingame.
-We know they left Brittany generations before and some want to reclaim it: the romans left Brittany AD 410
-Bad history with the Visigoths generations before : they sacked/plundered Rome AD 410
-The old empire don't exist anymore : The fall of the western roman empire ended AD 476
Then we have the barbarians
-The vikings seems to be a thing and the danes are a great kingdom : the viking era started in the late 8th century and the danes had a great kingdom (Danelag) begining AD 865

To ur questions
-Teutoburg forest massacre happend AD 9, so this should happend long ago, even before the romans conquered parts of Brittany.
-The pretorian guard has been disbanded by Constantine AD 312 as he bacame emperor, there was no real successor unit, understandable as they were highly corrupt in the later years and liked to instal/control/kill the emperors.
-The senate, disbanded in the early 7th century IIRC, ingame it wasn't mentioned.

Thought, i don't think the game is all that accurate in terms of history.

Deleted member 770309

Jul 23, 2018
Hard to say, thought there are few things ingame.
-We know they left Brittany generations before and some want to reclaim it: the romans left Brittany AD 410
-Bad history with the Visigoths generations before : they sacked/plundered Rome AD 410
-The old empire don't exist anymore : The fall of the western roman empire ended AD 476
Then we have the barbarians
-The vikings seems to be a thing and the danes are a great kingdom : the viking era started in the late 8th century and the danes had a great kingdom (Danelag) begining AD 865

To ur questions
-Teutoburg forest massacre happend AD 9, so this should happend long ago, even before the romans conquered parts of Brittany.
-The pretorian guard has been disbanded by Constantine AD 312 as he bacame emperor, there was no real successor unit, understandable as they were highly corrupt in the later years and liked to instal/control/kill the emperors.
-The senate, disbanded in the early 7th century IIRC, ingame it wasn't mentioned.

Thought, i don't think the game is all that accurate in terms of history.
Well there was the German body guard unit Numerus Batavorum i believe they were meant as a counter Balance against the Pretorian guard But still so this is the Eastern Roman Empire Basically. Then So we should have the Palatina Guard then still all in all i like the game love me a good Roman setting.

Azsouth

Mar 1, 2021
pretty sure it's a made up kingdom thats almost reformed the empire from after Rome fell to the barbarians out of the successor states, think the MC's kingdom was said to have started around Crimea or something originally. My best guess would be around the time of Charlemagne or his son or grandsons.

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
Well there was the German body guard unit Numerus Batavorum i believe they were meant as a counter Balance against the Pretorian guard But still so this is the Eastern Roman Empire Basically. Then So we should have the Palatina Guard then still all in all i like the game love me a good Roman setting.
No i don't think we are in the eastern roman empire, Caudium was a city near Naples ca 200 km south-east of Rome and IIRC good to protect do to the Kaudin passes. The romans sufferd a humiliating defeat there arround 300 BC.
The danes/vikings don't really fit for the eastern roman empire either, as they had no land close to them (thought i think the vikings sailed until Constantinople).
I would guess that we play a scenario, where the western roman empire managed to regain control after the downfall and reclaimed some if it's lost territory, i could be wrong thought.
Yes a good roman setting is always welcomed.

Last edited:

Deleted member 770309

Jul 23, 2018
No i don't think we are in the eastern roman empire, Caudium was a city near Naples ca 200 km south-east of Rome and IIRC good to protect do to the Kaudin passes. The romans sufferd a humiliating defeat there arround 300 BC.
The danes/vikings don't really fit for the eastern roman empire either, as they had no land close to them (thought i think the vikings sailed until Constantinople).
I would guess that we play a scenario, where the western roman empire managed to regain control after the downfall and reclaimed some if it's lost territory, i could be wrong thought.
Yes a good roman setting is always welcomed.
Well i have heard Commodus mentioned in game i wonder if we can reclaim Rome in this or if we still have it.

Last edited:

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Well i have Commodus mentioned in game i wonder if we can reclaim Rome in this or if we still have it.
based on map (actual) of area where kingdom is then this happens either east or west from rome (italy) and there are at least 1 klngdom between this and rome. adding rome could make things complicated.

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
Well i have Commodus mentioned in game i wonder if we can reclaim Rome in this or if we still have it.
Yeah i think Nicabar said Marius is like Commodus.
I think he meant to say, there will be wars, mistrust, murders and at the end killed by the own guard.

based on map (actual) of area where kingdom is then this happens either east or west from rome (italy) and there are at least 1 klngdom between this and rome. adding rome could make things complicated.
No Caudium is/was located in mid/south Italy and ingame (unter history) it is stated that Rome was rebuild and the barbarians driven behind the borders, so i think it is safe to say that Rome belongs to the Kingdom.

IIRC the kingdom of King Brennus was located in between the Kingdom of Caudium and the danes.
Judging by the location and name (King Brennus) i'd guess they are Gauls, so located in France/east France.

The common 'enemy' of which the danes as well Caudium is wary of are the Rus, they should be located in nord-west russia

Then we have Queen Avila and her country Libani, which the MC faught and won before.
I think Valentina as well as Kaylan both mentioned they could stay at Judea or Syria if the MC goes east, so i assume it's located somewhere where the Lebanon is today, so maybe the persian kingdom/empire.

All that together and i would say Caudium is a really large kingdom, compareable to the old roman empire

Last edited:
3.90 star(s) 81 Votes