_Maou_

Jun 2, 2018
Habs-Celebration1.jpg
Habs-Celebration2.jpg

What a week. It was very nice to see lighting be much easier after all I work I put into improving the environments between Chapter 5 and starting Chapter 6. I'm sure I'll rip it all out soon enough. For now, it is working well without much noise or lack of light where I need it. As far as game renders, I had to take a bit of a step back due to work and family commitments this week, but I'm back at it normally this weekend.
I got to work on some fun experiments, both in Blender and Daz. It's amazing how daunting a new UI can feel. I remember when Daz was like that. "Why are there 4000 buttons?!" One experiment was one I wasn't sure I could pull off. I've posted enough renders of it here that the cat is out of the bag on this one, and I don't care. I was able to make Queen Helena look much younger for a flashback scene in Chapter 6. Some of you will criticize me for teasing her well before Chapter 6's release, but, if you think that, it's like you don't know me at all. Torturing everyone between releases is what I do! LOL
Other than that, not much new to report. Standard grind now of posing and rendering images for all these scenes. Chapter 6 should keep you nice and busy when it gets its release. Have a great weekend!
P.S. I planned to show off a render from Chapter 6, but, after the Canadiens win last night, I had to do these two renders instead. Chapter 6 preview images coming soon.

jaden_yuki

Jul 11, 2017
I have a question, I didn't play the game yet, is the queen a dateable character? I didn't see any pic of her in the main post.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
I have a question, I didn't play the game yet, is the queen a dateable character? I didn't see any pic of her in the main post.
no(t yet) but has shown some interest towards mc.

K18

Apr 19, 2018
I'm really glad To Be A King stayed as choice-based linear visual novel, not adding the unnecessary free-roaming/sandbox features in the middle of the visual novel.
I like that MC is portrayed as a competent & level-headed person. Also a MC that's introduced & shown with a backstory of having fame and popularity, being a decorated war general (WVM another visual novel with a popular & competent MC, having a star athlete backstory). It's hard to find a decent MC who isn't a complete clean-slate protagonist with no personality and/or backstory.
Lots of interesting other characters of various personalities (some less favorable) and lots of pretty ladies. With it listed as a harem, i like how so far most ladies are willing & understanding about sharing MC with other women, some with their own conditions of course, hopefully building up into happy harem & inner circle between MC & the ladies. An actual harem-romance relationship of the ladies sharing MC as their man. Not the fake harem "MC bangs every girl without them finding out til the end, then MC must choose one or get a bad ending/game-over" type.

Hopefully this visual novel's world allows for MC to have multiple main wives (like 4+ wives) and other lovers (of whatever preferred relationship titles). Especially seeing the developer is generously adding plentiful of new female characters set to appear in future chapter releases (for Chapter 6 & onward).
The main story's drama & MC's purpose of protecting the king reminds me a little bit of TV series Game of Thrones - Season 1 in terms of kingdom politics, conspiracy, mystery solving, but minus the bloody murders & twin brother & sister parts :LOL:.

Personally, I like to imagine maybe To Be A King can be a "what if story" to the movie Gladiator (2000) if Maximus had accepted the emperor's wishes to succeed him & rule over Rome, and had swiftly kill the emperor's bastard treacherous son before he commits anymore evil acts. Where in To Be A King MC is given a noble title, rules the kingdom & unite other nations & in addition is allowed to have multiple wives & multiple official mistresses/concubines as he wants, loving them of course. And MC get rid off The King's bastard treacherous son :LOL:.
I can imagine multiple women assisting MC with the kingdom and help MC build his own interconnections. Aelinia helping MC with the high-class aristocratic & kingdom political game, Cassia too but likely with the rich & wealthy socialites, Estrid helping MC with the Warfare politics politics & maybe unite their nations, Kaylan helping MC with the general public/people's politics understanding the people. Those are examples running inside my head.

Catherine♡

Mar 10, 2019
In my opinion Cassia is much more immature than Valentina. but as Cassia cares so much about her public figure, she passes for a shrewd and mature woman in the presence of strangers or who knows her little, while Valentina speaks her mind and doesn't care for what the others think.

When the mc introduces himself to Cassia for the first time she tries to persuade him to go to the ball with her as she knows her sister loves him
When that fails she literally invites him in her room and tries to seduce him by getting naked while he could see her in the mirror (She later in the story confirms that at that moment she didn't feel any love for the mc and just wanted to annoy and makes her sister jealous).
And literally every moment the MC says something about Valentina in front of her she starts humiliating and belittling her sister calling her ugly, saying her body is ugly and so on.
In general Cassia is my least favorite princess, but I have to admit I had to pick her for the second ball because she's been asking since the beginning of the story and because Aelinia said she didn't mind if I took one of the others two. so she was the most reasonable choice.

_Maou_

Jun 2, 2018
NewModels.jpg

I forgot how much fun I had experimenting with some new models in my "downtime." Here are most of the ladies. I am not going to make the dumb statement that none of these ladies will make it into To Be A King. See? I'm learning! LOL
Happy Wednesday everyone!

Sorrow85

Engaged Member
Feb 17, 2020

A few more scenes are done. With 35 scenes, the "new" Chapter 6 is still large. But progress is steady, and I am finding fewer issues in the environments that I have to go and correct before getting down to the game renders. Maybe Daz can mimic the new nVidia Canvas AI and allow me to just scribble out the scene and then produce a beautiful render from that. One day…In the meantime, it's been steady progress.
I'm hoping to have some fun renders to show off regularly here. If it's a game render, I'll be sure to mark it as such. But I have a lot of new Daz assets I want to try out. Nothing like some fun renders to do that. I've got a few done that you'll be seeing soon.
With the continuing to grow, and I know of at least a few folks who joined here to support those videos, I've updated the tier benefits to give my YouTube subscribers who also pledge here some additional benefits. Patrons will get early access to some videos, so expect to see the first of those posted here soon. If you are just pledging for the game, feel free to ignore those specific emails from Patreon. The second benefit is the Discord, where we are getting a bit active for 3D artists to chat and share tips. Of course, fans of To Be A King also have some fun stuff to enjoy in the Discord. Have some other ideas for benefits? Send them my way.
One big announcement, that at least a couple of you have asked me about. Annual memberships are now available on here. Patreon, wisely, makes sure creators have some history of delivering results and not swindling people before they allow you to offer annual memberships. I just got the greenlight yesterday, and I've turned those on. 16% off, if you pledge annually (equals out to about 2 free months). I use it for some of the creators I pledge, and I've been pleased with the discount.
I've also re-opened my custom render tier. If you'd like a custom render with up to 3 of your favorite To Be A King characters (anyone in-game or previewed is an option), please pledge. I've got a few limitations in what you can request, so, if you have some specific ideas, feel free to message me here or on Discord before pledging. I'm limiting the custom render tier to 3 patrons for now. Don't want it to take up too much of my time. Your custom render will be included in the special image gallery in future To Be A King releases. This tier is also 16% off for annual pledges.
That's enough from me for this week. Barring any unexpected power outages again, I'll be back on Monday with my What I'm Working On video. For those in the United States, have a safe and happy 4th!

-------------

Mr. Grant

Jun 6, 2018

Testing a new outfit
Needed to test a new outfit, so ended up doing the whole posing thing too.
Anyone else trying not to see a feminine Owen Wilson? Maybe I'm crazy.
Either way, just finished through the current content, looking forward to seeing where the story goes. Very interesting!

Reactions: ITRoy

ITRoy

Game Developer
Dec 24, 2017
Anyone else trying not to see a feminine Owen Wilson? Maybe I'm crazy.
Either way, just finished through the current content, looking forward to seeing where the story goes. Very interesting!
Dammit! You caught me. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Grant

_Maou_

Jun 2, 2018
Aelinia Playing Card.jpg

Tried something a little different this morning, and I finished up tonight. Still have some cards for the new ladies you'll meet in Chapter 6 left, but I'll be posting these from time-to-time. Patrons can view the entire current set in Discord.

3.90 star(s) 81 Votes