Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
I recommend watching this:

Especially those who don’t know how to create renders... Like me.
IIRC Roy has a whole series on how to make a vn.

I don't think many devs here would go as far as to create a whole city, at least it's the first time i heard a dev put in that much additional work .
But really respect to Roy, the city looks awesome, even more so as the assets for this time period should be limited.
Can't wait to see how the renders in the next update will look in there.

Sorrow85

Engaged Member
Feb 17, 2020

More good progress, which always feels nice. It helps that I had a nice long weekend to get some things done on the game, but also just relax a bit. It's easy to just grind this stuff out, high on the feeling of accomplishing things on the to do list. But creative work needs relaxation and space to think too.

Environments are fully finished with their new HDRIs (though, as always, some of those caused some small issues I had to fix). I've got the new characters modeled, and the script got another look. At this point, I just need to finish up adding some code, and then renders can start. That means that renders should be starting any day now. Chapter 6 is going to be massive, so expect some previews here regularly now as work continues on this massive release. A few thousand renders don't happen overnight, no matter how much I wish they did. I did total up the word count for Chapter 6. Some of this is code, but it came out to 99,300 words. It's so large that, while I didn't find a good break point initially, I may break this release up after all.

"Any idea on a release date, Roy?" I can hear you asking. Nope. I have an internal goal that has already been pushed back twice due to everything extra I had to do. It all depends on how smoothly things go with renders, as well as if my day job picks back up. I *think* I've got everything fairly well setup, but, inevitably, there will be things I missed that either require redos or just take extra time to figure out and fix. Just the nature of doing this solo with such a massive project. Originally I thought this would be a faster turnaround, but I really challenged myself with a lot of new environments this go around. Whoops.

I will have a poll these next couple of weeks for my $10+ patrons. We just finished one for the design of a character you'll meet in Chapter 6, but there are some other things I'll be putting to a vote. Be sure to vote in that, if you're eligible. I'll see you all next week, hopefully with a preview render (assuming I haven't done a scene that is too spoilery).

-------

Construct

Oct 31, 2018

More good progress, which always feels nice. It helps that I had a nice long weekend to get some things done on the game, but also just relax a bit. It's easy to just grind this stuff out, high on the feeling of accomplishing things on the to do list. But creative work needs relaxation and space to think too.

Environments are fully finished with their new HDRIs (though, as always, some of those caused some small issues I had to fix). I've got the new characters modeled, and the script got another look. At this point, I just need to finish up adding some code, and then renders can start. That means that renders should be starting any day now. Chapter 6 is going to be massive, so expect some previews here regularly now as work continues on this massive release. A few thousand renders don't happen overnight, no matter how much I wish they did. I did total up the word count for Chapter 6. Some of this is code, but it came out to 99,300 words. It's so large that, while I didn't find a good break point initially, I may break this release up after all.

"Any idea on a release date, Roy?" I can hear you asking. Nope. I have an internal goal that has already been pushed back twice due to everything extra I had to do. It all depends on how smoothly things go with renders, as well as if my day job picks back up. I *think* I've got everything fairly well setup, but, inevitably, there will be things I missed that either require redos or just take extra time to figure out and fix. Just the nature of doing this solo with such a massive project. Originally I thought this would be a faster turnaround, but I really challenged myself with a lot of new environments this go around. Whoops.

I will have a poll these next couple of weeks for my $10+ patrons. We just finished one for the design of a character you'll meet in Chapter 6, but there are some other things I'll be putting to a vote. Be sure to vote in that, if you're eligible. I'll see you all next week, hopefully with a preview render (assuming I haven't done a scene that is too spoilery).

-------
Sounds like he is well prepared for future rendering. 99k words is massive! Like, even if you barely read anything, it‘s going to take some time to get through this. I‘m a little hyped for this game, because with all the DEV updates I feel safe that it‘s going to deliver.

As I‘m not a patron, I‘m curious what that last poll contained regarding the character design. Is anyone able to enlighten me?

Construct

Oct 31, 2018
what does he mean about this

is he gonna release the update in parts?
I would assume that, since he already wrote the script but now needs to render the scenes, he will split the update so he can deliver a smaller update earlier due to the rendering time being smaller.

D

Deleted member 1371216

I remember playing this game until the end of 0.4. This last update is yuuuge haven't even finished it yet. Also why everybody dissin my girl Valentina not cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: uhhhok

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
I remember playing this game until the end of 0.4. This last update is yuuuge haven't even finished it yet. Also why everybody dissin my girl Valentina not cool.
well cuz she acts like spoiled brat?

Sorrow85

Engaged Member
Feb 17, 2020
Kaylan-DevUpdate-16.jpg

We are officially two months since the release of To Be A King Chapter 5, and all I have to show for it are these lousy 99,000+ words, several new character models, and about a dozen new environments (including a small city). Lazy Roy.

Anyway, this week was not super productive. Had some personal issues (nothing catastrophic, don't worry), that caused me to not get a lot done for a couple of days. For those worried, it was not burnout or anything close to that. Oh, and my NAS died and one of my PCs had a failing drive right after that. So yeah, it was a week. But all is well now, and game renders will start shortly. Seems like I've been saying that for awhile, but all that remains now is to finish up my render marks for several scenes (usually fairly quick, but tedious). Maybe the next preview is the lovely Aelinia. Or maybe it's Marius asking you to draw him like one of your French girls. Hey! WAIT! Why are you leaving?!

I've decided to put any decision on splitting Chapter 6 off. I may end up splitting it into 3 parts, (which would still give EACH release nearly 2/3 the size of Chapter 5). But I'm going to just see how development goes. I did find a way to break it into two parts and also into three parts. So if it needs to be done, for whatever reason, it can be without adding extra workload. If I get into a good flow and speed, I'll likely just press ahead.

I spent yet more money this week on Daz assets. Bad Roy! But I did get some cool new things to both experiment with and integrate into my renders. I am even experimenting more in Photoshop for my character skins. A bit more Daz library sorting was also in order, as I had trouble finding new models that I wanted to use. There were plenty of options, but too many presented at once. Those are now nicely categorized, and I can confirm that it drastically sped up the new model creation process. As you may have guessed, I enjoy creating new models, as it is always an adventure. It also usually leads me to improvements for existing models.

, boy has everyone there been giving me lots of excellent ideas for videos. I've got many queued up with many more ideas in my notes file. The growth of the channel, after only 4 months, is astounding to me. I really started with the videos thinking that I'd be lucky if 30 people watched them in a year. Now I've got that many watching most videos within the first half hour of it premiering on YouTube. That also means that my early videos are probably due for some updates here soon. Plenty of new content to work on first - including a nice Genesis 8 to Genesis 8.1 model comparison.

That's all from me, folks. I'll soon have game renders to share. And, thanks to my "genius" of posting other new models on Discord and here, other characters to add to the To Be A King universe. Wait… .

Finally, my hockey team, through what has to be some divine intervention, made it to the third round of the NHL playoffs. Go Habs Go!

-----------

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
big window right next to sea/lake? very insecure if/when attack comes via water.

uhhhok

Sep 24, 2020
most
How long's the wait gonna be for the next update it's Soo good I can't wait
most probably 1-2 months, ITRoy is usually pretty good with renders so I hope they don't take much and he also split the chapter into 3 parts, so less workload for him.

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019
View attachment 1241040

We are officially two months since the release of To Be A King Chapter 5, and all I have to show for it are these lousy 99,000+ words, several new character models, and about a dozen new environments (including a small city). Lazy Roy.

Anyway, this week was not super productive. Had some personal issues (nothing catastrophic, don't worry), that caused me to not get a lot done for a couple of days. For those worried, it was not burnout or anything close to that. Oh, and my NAS died and one of my PCs had a failing drive right after that. So yeah, it was a week. But all is well now, and game renders will start shortly. Seems like I've been saying that for awhile, but all that remains now is to finish up my render marks for several scenes (usually fairly quick, but tedious). Maybe the next preview is the lovely Aelinia. Or maybe it's Marius asking you to draw him like one of your French girls. Hey! WAIT! Why are you leaving?!

I've decided to put any decision on splitting Chapter 6 off. I may end up splitting it into 3 parts, (which would still give EACH release nearly 2/3 the size of Chapter 5). But I'm going to just see how development goes. I did find a way to break it into two parts and also into three parts. So if it needs to be done, for whatever reason, it can be without adding extra workload. If I get into a good flow and speed, I'll likely just press ahead.

I spent yet more money this week on Daz assets. Bad Roy! But I did get some cool new things to both experiment with and integrate into my renders. I am even experimenting more in Photoshop for my character skins. A bit more Daz library sorting was also in order, as I had trouble finding new models that I wanted to use. There were plenty of options, but too many presented at once. Those are now nicely categorized, and I can confirm that it drastically sped up the new model creation process. As you may have guessed, I enjoy creating new models, as it is always an adventure. It also usually leads me to improvements for existing models.

, boy has everyone there been giving me lots of excellent ideas for videos. I've got many queued up with many more ideas in my notes file. The growth of the channel, after only 4 months, is astounding to me. I really started with the videos thinking that I'd be lucky if 30 people watched them in a year. Now I've got that many watching most videos within the first half hour of it premiering on YouTube. That also means that my early videos are probably due for some updates here soon. Plenty of new content to work on first - including a nice Genesis 8 to Genesis 8.1 model comparison.

That's all from me, folks. I'll soon have game renders to share. And, thanks to my "genius" of posting other new models on Discord and here, other characters to add to the To Be A King universe. Wait… .

Finally, my hockey team, through what has to be some divine intervention, made it to the third round of the NHL playoffs. Go Habs Go!

-----------
Totally In love with Kaylan but all the LIs are babes. Really great vn, can't wait to kill joffey errr... I mean I can't wait til the prince has unfortunate accident. :)

Thanks and best of luck

3.90 star(s) 81 Votes