YuNobi1

Aug 9, 2021
View attachment 1834653

Before anyone gets too excited, the render used for the progress graphic is just one I needed for testing lighting. There are no Chapter 8 renders to share yet (and likely won't be for a few more weeks).

I hope everyone is enjoying the latest release. While it was a bear to get out, I'm very happy with the result. The speculation about certain big events in the Discord has been fun, and I don't mean that sarcastically. Some folks are very close to being exactly right about some future events. Also, uh, I think the Estrid fan club might have lost a few members.

The past few weeks since Chapter 7's release have been spent fixing things. The reality of this as a hobby is that you always find things that you need to fix. There were two major issues that needed to be addressed after Chapter 7: Updating the environments I had not used in Chapter 7 with my new materials, lighting, etc., and overhauling some things in all environments to make setup & postwork much easier. I'm nearly done with both of those, but it has been almost 3 solid weeks of work to get all that completed. The payoff will be good, but it has been a grind to get all these fixes done. 34 environments to update, most with different setups for different times of day, makes for a lot of work. My next game should be like the movie Saw and just take place in a single room or two. Maybe I should just keep the MC in Caudium and not let him leave to visit far off lands.

The bright spot in all of this work is that I've had some time waiting for things to render out. I've spent that time on the script for Chapter 8. It isn't quite done, but there is a full and detailed outline, along with a handful of scenes written. As long as it doesn't turn into the writing disaster that Chapter 7 did, I should have a decent amount of work already completed. I'll spend the next few days, once these long list of fixes are done, going back over my outline to ensure I like the flow and elements of the story I've included for this next chapter. Long gone are the days where I could easily cover every love interest in a release.

It will likely be a few more weeks before there are any previews of Chapter 8. That is especially true since I plan to start work on the Steam release, concurrently with Chapter 8's development. Since this is my first release on Steam, I expect that to take some time, and I want to give myself plenty of lead time. Maybe it comes together much more quickly, but I never like to count on that.

After Chapter 7, there are a lot of questions to answer. Maybe some things get answered in Chapter 8, but I wouldn't count on it. There is still so much to figure out. At least there will be lewd scenes, though you're going to find some new love interests playing a bit hard to get. Not everyone can be Kaylan, I guess.

For those in the United States, enjoy your long holiday weekend! I'll be back soon with another dev update.
Chapter 8 SPOILER:
ITRoy confirms MC will survive encounter with Estrid :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: keterboy

Paco Loco

Dec 27, 2018
ITRoy

Man, I know Anna would be a hell of a goddess, but, 3 different games in a row?

That girl is on fire! :ROFLMAO: I love it! :love:

Bless you, man!

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Any reasons mac version is still 0.51?
plenty but which is correct is unknown, you have 2 options: 1. install current mac version and then dl pc version and extract it and copy it's }game folder on mac version and play or 2. play pc version with renpysdk for mac.

gonza99

Sep 10, 2019
plenty but which is correct is unknown, you have 2 options: 1. install current mac version and then dl pc version and extract it and copy it's }game folder on mac version and play or 2. play pc version with renpysdk for mac.
thank you! (y):)

Sparhawker

Mar 23, 2022
I haven't started playing this yet but can I ask if there is a full walkthrough or a mod somewhere.
The walkthrough tagged on page1 stops before the current version I believe and that person will no longer doing any more.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
I haven't started playing this yet but can I ask if there is a full walkthrough or a mod somewhere.
The walkthrough tagged on page1 stops before the current version I believe and that person will no longer doing any more.
wt-mod is up-to-date.

Reactions: Sparhawker

K18

Apr 19, 2018
Xerus Custom - Chapter 7 - Render 1.jpg

I missed the exact two year anniversary of To Be A King's first release, so here's a two year retrospective a couple of weeks late.
First, let's do the numbers (through Chapter 7):
  • Total game renders: 5831
  • Total chapters: 7
  • Average time between release: 4 months
  • Current Love Interests: 12 (and still more to formally announce)
  • Avg. Hours To Develop A Chapter: 400
  • Times I Have Been Offered Money To Remove Valentina From the Game: 7
  • My Favorite Character: Hey, this isn't a number!
The Good
For my first game on my own (though a massive shoutout to Inkwell and Xor at for seeing the first few chapters through with script feedback and coding work), I am pleased. It isn't a total trainwreck, and really, that's about all you can ask for. I like to think it has gotten better, as well. Future players who can play through most of the game (whenever that dream becomes a reality) won't have to spend much time slogging through poor dialogue, worse renders, and weird game mechanics choices.

I have a few very popular game characters, and very few of them are hated (sorry, Isabella). Aelinia and Kaylan continue to dominate like two heavyweight prize fighters, but it will be interesting to see how others might challenge them as the game goes on. I don't see Kaylan fans dropping off anytime soon though. Cronut clearly is trying to rig things as Goddess Anna (aka, in an alternate universe) grows in popularity.

For the MILF fans, all I can say is that I'm sorry. I've failed you. My sweet spot is clearly characters in their 20s to early 30s. As a consolation prize, please accept either Diana or Helena. I may be throwing you some bones in later chapters with ladies who you can at least enjoy some lewd content with.

My ultimate goal of close to realistic breasts in a visual novel is nearly complete. The dforce breasts and some new morphs I picked up over the last few months have helped massively there. After all, there was no breast augmentation back then. Even in an alternate history of the Roman Empire.

Oh, and I probably have way too much story left in To Be A King, if I don't rapidly fast forward to the end before then. There are numerous adventures, exotic environments I'll have to try to construct, and definitely some twists that you hopefully do not see coming. It certainly is all great practice and a good base to draw from for other renders.

The best part of it all is that I've learned a lot. Each release gets a little bit better, and, sometimes, it even gets easier. Whether it is lighting, textures, posing, expressions, or my creation process, there is always something to improve on or test out. Now as long as Daz can hold off releasing Genesis 9 models for a couple more years, I should be golden.

The Bad
Oof. Let's see. We will start with the enormous amount of work that a release takes and the pressure you feel from missing artificial and unrealistic deadlines. Yes, that part really blows. Creative work is especially tough in this way as if I have a crappy week in some other area of my life, my game development is going to be mediocre to non-existent. Not fun when you're juggling everything else. There has been burnout, many times I look at my work and weep (not in a good way), and just think I'll never get anything productive done. I've learned those are the times to just walk away and come back the next day. Nothing good will come from trying to fight through that.

Any semblance of a regular release schedule has been completely missing. I continue to try to make adjustments, but sometimes real life gets in the way. All I can promise here is to keep trying to improve on this. Volume 1 being done is at least an accomplishment.

If I could kill off half the love interests, I would. No offense to any of them, but it is getting to be quite a feat to track all the different relationships, timing for events, etc. Take note, aspiring developers: avoid the urge to just keep adding love interests. As Nancy Reagan used to say: "Just Say No." It doesn't help that creating new characters is one thing I thoroughly enjoy. Maybe a wave of plague sweeps through Caudium to thin the herd. Just kidding. I could never do that to you all.

The story is sprawling, even with me trimming it with a machete to keep it from getting even more overwhelming. The advice I often here is that your first game should be short and over in a handful of releases (5-7 max). Do as I say and not as I do: this is excellent advice. Right now, I envy the folks who do comics or very short VNs. To Be A King will get done, but when is the big question mark.

The Facts Of Life
Those of you into 80s TV shows will find humor in the headings I've chosen. After 2 years, where are we with To Be A King? I thought we would be done by now, but the story grew, love interests were added, and I decided to take a slower approach to letting the narrative unfold. Maybe you like that and maybe you don't. But now I've fully embraced the TV show method of production: focus on some key stories and character development. Maybe my next one is more like an action thriller or a comedy. Though Valentina does give us quite a bit to laugh at.

My goals for the rest of this year are pretty simple:
  • Launch on Steam
  • Get another 2 releases out before Christmas
  • Quit fiddling with updates textures and environment changes
  • Finish my presets for this and future game development
  • Spend a bit of time learning Unreal Engine basics
Thank you for reading this far, and for enjoying the game as much as you do. It definitely boosts the spirits when I'm grinding in development to see your theories, hear which characters you like most, and know that you are enjoying the content. Maybe we should do a retrospective again next year.

Den187

Jun 27, 2017
progress-bar.jpg

Quick reminder that, for awhile more now, the progress graphic will contain images not from Chapter 8. I'm pulling a lot of test images I did from all those environment redos the past few weeks.

My thanks to the enormous number of new patrons who joined last month. Many even stuck around for June. Welcome and thank you very much for your support!

Progress is good, as you can see. I'm estimating close to 50% of the script is written for Chapter 8, and I feel much better about this one as I took lessons from the writing hell that was Chapter 7. I started with an outline, expanded that outline into detailed notes, and then read through that entire document multiple times. Scenes got moved, deleted, and, as you'll see with this most recent progress graphic, scenes got added. All the while I'm trying to balance content also. With as many love interests as we have and all the story yet to cover, it's all a matter now of making sure that I don't create a barren wasteland of content for some love interests over multiple chapters.

With that work done, I also did something else new. I wrote the outline for Chapter 9. Then I wrote it out in a bit more detail. My goal with that is to make sure I'm not leaving out something I wished I had put in a previous chapter, and that I'm not wishing I would have changed up scene order or moved love interest content around. Hopefully this helps provide a better playing experience for you all, as that is the goal. Not practicing my outlining skills.

All my fixes, new environments and characters, etc., are all done for at least the next couple of chapters. I am sure I'll have minor things to tweak once I get into renders for Chapter 8, but I'm hoping the big stuff is behind me. At this stage, I'm trying to lock in as much as possible and just move forward with it. New tricks I learn that require overhauls will get included in future games or special content. To Be A King has had enough changes in its couple of years of existence. Speaking of two years, To Be A King had its two year anniversary a little over a week ago, and I missed it. Whoopsie. Take a look at this post for . Mistakes were made.

Wrapping up the script is my goal for the next week. Then it will be polishing that for a few days, finishing up most of the code, and starting renders. We aren't too far off from those, I hope. It is shaping up to be another large chapter, but I've got some ideas on trimming it, if things get out of control. I'll be back soon with another dev update as I should get back to writing the actual game. Have a fantastic weekend and a great start to summer (I'll be melting under intense summer heat and render rigs cranking out renders)!

3.90 star(s) 81 Votes