RPGM Tower of Trample [v1.18.0.4 + Standalone SC3] [Bo Wei/Koda]

4.40 star(s) 52 Votes

NanasBananas

Game Developer
Dec 29, 2018
Well, I've been reading quietly so far because I wasn't sure if I had anything constructive to contribute, and I'm not that fond of arguing with anyone specific, but I think I'll just go ahead and throw my own opinion into the mix, just to offer more variety...

I'm actually fine with how Koda and Bo and been conducting things. Sure, the delays can kinda suck - when you're told you'll be able to play a game that you love at a certain day and then the day comes and the game is still not ready, it's disappointing, and your trust in deadlines erodes a little bit with each missed one. It's kinda like making plans to hang out with someone and then having them call to say they can't make it and will meet you another day. The first time it happens you're totally understanding, but after five or so consecutive missed dates you find yourself going "just schedule to meet me when you actually KNOW you'll be free, and stop making promises you can't keep!"

That being said, I'm actually not that irate about the delays. From what I've seen, they happen for two reasons:
1. As Koda said about the spring cleaning, he looked at the amount that was already done, looked at what still needed to be done, and felt he wouldn't be able to finish on time. While it is someone's own fault for misjudging how long something will take them, I can tell you I've tried writing stuff myself and I have never once finished anything at the date I aimed for initially. It's really hard to predict how much time creating something will take. And while you always hope people who've miscalculated before will eventually get better at it, it's actually a really understandable mistake to make again and again, at least from my experience, and I kinda always expect predictions to be too optimistic anyway...
2. They start creating something, then halfway through realize they could add things or do things better. I completely support this too. While getting slapped with a delay might suck, I think nine times out of ten trading some patience for an improved product will be worth it. However long it'll take, I ultimately want the game to be as good as it can be, so I support the decision to take a little longer to improve on initial plans.

As for splitting the content of a floor or releasing teasers, I'm personally against those. I'm very strictly anti-spoiler, and I like getting content in bulk. To me the absolute best part of the game is when you ascend to a new floor, knowing nothing of what awaits you up there, except that femdom will be thrust upon you. I actually kinda regret having seen the minor teasers for F7 I have seen (the map and picture of the girl). And I'd much rather experience a completed floor when it comes out, rather than seeing a simplistic version of it at first and having to wait for the full complexity of it to be released only after another update or two.

There are some concerns to raise, I suppose. Some communication is important, but I'd prefer just a vague monthly report of "content is going well, there was a scene that took longer than we thought, bunch of smaller scenes were finished, etc. etc." with no actual specifics that doesn't give away anything. And Koda actually has communicated every once in a while and whenever there was a delay, so no real complaints there. And while I fully support larger floors and more elaborate content, I admit there might be a thing as too big. There is something to be said, in terms of replayability, for being able to go from totally free and determined Ethan to broken, submissive puppy Ethan within a reasonable time-frame. But for the specifics of what's better and what isn't about a certain floor, that discussion will have to wait for the actual content to come out...

So yeah, I generally love the direction Bo and Koda have been taking with the game, and I actually don't really see how they could have handled things better, at least as far as I'm concerned. Maybe just get a little better at predicting release dates. And release even less teasers, though I'm probably a minority in that...

Of course, that's just how I feel about things, and I can understand how someone might feel differently.
Cheers to all!

h-kingu

Nov 24, 2018
guys if you wanna discuss starless let's do it on the Starless thread, cuz comments not ToT related it will get deleted here

GearlessJoe

Jun 17, 2018
From discord (not an official announcement):

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Sounds like...delay? Maybe he's learned not to give tentative dates before he's 100% sure the update will be finished and that's why there hasn't been an announcement yet.
Sounds like we'd be in floor 11 already if the devs were able to swallow their pride and hire someone who knows his stuff for programming :cry:

scoobzz

Dec 6, 2018
Sounds like we'd be in floor 11 already if the devs were able to swallow their pride and hire someone who knows his stuff for programming :cry:
They couldn't afford a competent programmer. They'd have to find someone with a passion for these type of games who is willing to work for slave wages. The real solution is to just get better at programming, and well, stumbling through a project is essentially how it's learned (source: know a few languages).

Artilaz

Oct 1, 2017
all things considering i think its safe to say the delay will be multiple days?
not that i mind that much just trying to get myself in a mindset to not check this thread 500 times a day :ROFLMAO:

4.40 star(s) 52 Votes