cooldude5368

Oct 28, 2018
i would be critical of the code if it was even legible to regular humans. it's an eldritch monstrosity only barely maintainable by even the ones who wrote it.

also if you support their decisions, they literally copy pasted actionscript code into some places and forgot to rewrite it, which was causing a known crash in a lot of places :KEK:

additionally, though they literally copy pasted a ton of the game, they are still somehow missing scenes in some places as well as not having artwork update properly. i would say they needed more than refactor when making "porting" this to be perfectly honest. if you work on something for around 6-ish years now, you'd think that at least someone working on this would have obtained some programming knowledge to keep it from being a mess, but they're still dealing with the same issues in a different programming language now

tl;dr if you're getting this much money to make something, people should expect a better end result

• Haha
Reactions: canibusted

canibusted

Mar 17, 2019
i would be critical of the code if it was even legible to regular humans. it's an eldritch monstrosity only barely maintainable by even the ones who wrote it.

also if you support their decisions, they literally copy pasted actionscript code into some places and forgot to rewrite it, which was causing a known crash in a lot of places :KEK:

additionally, though they literally copy pasted a ton of the game, they are still somehow missing scenes in some places as well as not having artwork update properly. i would say they needed more than refactor when making "porting" this to be perfectly honest. if you work on something for around 6-ish years now, you'd think that at least someone working on this would have obtained some programming knowledge to keep it from being a mess, but they're still dealing with the same issues in a different programming language now

tl;dr if you're getting this much money to make something, people should expect a better end result
I agree; I was honestly just holding back from being overly negative about it. I was able to understand it, at least enough to figure out why certain events weren't triggering after that editor posted a few pages back blew up my save, and some horrifying things about how the saves work. Did you know every save has the complete text of every email you've received in the codex? That was fun to discover.

Also, not just any language, JavaScript; the best/worst language for bad design to survive longer than you'd expect. I think JS and HTML/CSS/Canvas are perfectly good choices for creating a crossover between interactive novel and rpg-lite, but I definitely wouldn't have organized it the way it is.

ZorasSon

Sep 18, 2020
Is the source code for the JS version available? I was planning to make a small edit to be able to see the tooltips when I'm playing on my tablet but decided to wait for a proper android port since the code is minified.
I guess I could unpack with something that supports webpack but I think it would be too difficult to read depending on how much third-party packages TiTs uses. :(

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
Is the source code for the JS version available? I was planning to make a small edit to be able to see the tooltips when I'm playing on my tablet but decided to wait for a proper android port since the code is minified.
I guess I could unpack with something that supports webpack but I think it would be too difficult to read depending on how much third-party packages TiTs uses. :(
If it is, it's still not in the public repo and is has to be accessed via other means. Maybe they've given a select few contributors access to the private repo. Maybe there's been a leak. Maybe these people are criticizing the crunched up mess that is minified javascript. Without more info, can't really tell.

cooldude5368

Oct 28, 2018
If it is, it's still not in the public repo and is has to be accessed via other means. Maybe they've given a select few contributors access to the private repo. Maybe there's been a leak. Maybe these people are criticizing the crunched up mess that is minified javascript. Without more info, can't really tell.
unminifying the javascript is pretty trivial, but it still leaves the names of things a bit obfuscated. however, from this unminified state, it is possible to see that the code is still quite spaghetti. this is where my criticisms are from

Reactions: canibusted

canibusted

Mar 17, 2019
It's not, but I think the sourcemaps are there. The new UI is written in react. The real craziness is all the actual game content; look at the 'content' folder in devtools. There's a lot of JS that looks pretty similar to what I recall from the old pre-JS github repo. Lots of functions being declared straight on window. If you inspect the window object while playing the game you can get a glipse of the madness. I also spent some time digging around the webpack bundles after prettifying them in chrome but that is about what you'd expect.

Reactions: ZorasSon

canibusted

Mar 17, 2019
unminifying the javascript is pretty trivial, but it still leaves the names of things a bit obfuscated. however, from this unminified state, it is possible to see that the code is still quite spaghetti. this is where my criticisms are from
I can read minified javascript if I have to, and there is all sorts of interesting stuff in there, but they have sourcemaps enabled so that is not necessary:
Screenshot 2022-06-23 211911.png

ZorasSon

Sep 18, 2020
It's not, but I think the sourcemaps are there. The new UI is written in react. The real craziness is all the actual game content; look at the 'content' folder in devtools. There's a lot of JS that looks pretty similar to what I recall from the old pre-JS github repo. Lots of functions being declared straight on window. If you inspect the window object while playing the game you can get a glipse of the madness. I also spent some time digging around the webpack bundles after prettifying them in chrome but that is about what you'd expect.
I was trying the find .map files on my folder but couldn't, but then I realized you were playing from the fenoxo.com domain and it all made sense. I didn't even know you could get the source that way! (and you can download the files easily by doing .../release/<file>.js.map)
Taking a look now, I agree with you that it looks pretty similar to the Flash days and it would have been better for them to do a refactor.

Still, it doesn't look that bad when it comes to scaling (as in, adding new stuff in) and it is still better than a lot of JS code out there. I feel like a lot of bad decisions are on the "core" systems like the usage of the window object like you said, function names, conversion between scripts and in-game dialogue (while we can understand it just fine, I'm not sure if someone without knowledge of JS would be able to add something -- maybe they have some internal script that does that?), responsive design and file structure (like the lack of separation between text and game functions which causes file sizes to sky-rocket and the way they manage "rooms").

Maybe it's because I'm used to having to maintain or fix code that was forgotten in time with 0 documentation that causes TiTs code to not look bad. :ROFLMAO:

edit: For those who want to see the mouse hover tooltips on mobile just replace all occurrences of onMouseOver with onTouchStart and onMouseOut with onTouchEnd on the main.xxxxx.js file.

Last edited:

Maiuw2

Oct 1, 2017
Could a admin/mod update the start page for this thread with the new link for game+image pack given by hentaifelf on page 206 for ver .7?
As ppl coming in regarding the no images issue..

Draconookie

Nov 18, 2020
Yes the JavaScript save editor on GitHub for TiTs works but I don’t know for how many updates it will continue to work because it appears to have been abandoned I have not seen an update in at least a month maybe longer

Dec 26, 2019
QUESTION:
How do I make the backer thing work? Does it work on the HTML version or only the flash version? Do I need to put it somewhere specific? @~@

Dec 26, 2019
Yes the JavaScript save editor on GitHub for TiTs works but I don’t know for how many updates it will continue to work because it appears to have been abandoned I have not seen an update in at least a month maybe longer
Personally, I use a website called "saveeditonline.com" instead of TiTSEd, because for some reason the program just won't run on my PC x.xU. In the website I mentioned, however, I've been able to edit the saves without much difficulty as long as the format is compatible. Hope this helps (y)

hentaifelf

Mar 26, 2018
Here's the latest TITs backer version TiTS-backer-0.9.008-2193

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
insert img.7z into "\TiTS-backer-0.9.008-win\resources\app\resources" then extract to img and either say yes or no to overwriting all x1 images.
EDIT: FORGOT TO MENTION. no new added images, so you can safely cut the old img folder into the new img folder if you have the imagepack version

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes