jfmherokiller

May 25, 2020
Done. Hopefully the dev actually implements it. (Doubtful, though.) In only semi-related news, I discovered while working with another device to test out modifying the apk with luckypatcher that total commander apparently removed the ability to install .apks from it at google's request. So that's a thing. Can't do shit with your own devices anymore apparently.
wait really why at googles request? that seems oddly specific.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
Google has become a tyrant.
in terms of electron downloading the closest thing I found from simple googling is this
Electron works fine outside of Android. I think it might have something to do with APK permissions...I'm too lazy to logcat. It CAN load files. Edit: Checked permissions, Files and Media was set automatically to Denied. Makes no difference when allowed, Save to File doesn't even throw an error in the backend..

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: jfmherokiller

Hargan2

Nov 27, 2017
wait really why at googles request? that seems oddly specific.
Yup. Here's what google cited in their warning to the dev:
"An app distributed via Google Play may not modify, replace, or update itself using any method other than Google Play's update mechanism. Likewise, an app may not download executable code (e.g. dex, JAR, .so files) from a source other than Google Play."

He tried to work with them to get more info about what specifically was wrong with the app and such, but they just kept sending him that warning. He has a side-loadeable version that restores that functionality, but he had to remove the ability to install .apks from the Google Play version of the app because he didn't want to chance google deciding to terminate his account or something. (Can't blame him, they do that.)

• Sad

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
Yup. Here's what google cited in their warning to the dev:
"An app distributed via Google Play may not modify, replace, or update itself using any method other than Google Play's update mechanism. Likewise, an app may not download executable code (e.g. dex, JAR, .so files) from a source other than Google Play."

He tried to work with them to get more info about what specifically was wrong with the app and such, but they just kept sending him that warning. He has a side-loadeable version that restores that functionality, but he had to remove the ability to install .apks from the Google Play version of the app because he didn't want to chance google deciding to terminate his account or something. (Can't blame him, they do that.)
Root, the only way to have any sense of freedom.

Hargan2

Nov 27, 2017
Root, the only way to have any sense of freedom.
I would if I could. Unfortunately I use Verizon as my carrier (I work in some very rural areas where they're literally the only carrier with anything approaching reliable service) and verizon phones are... difficult... to root. They tend to have some proprietary firmware shit which makes it so rooting doesn't work the same way it does for the same model of phone not from verizon. Depending on the phone, you can still root, but it's not as straightforward. I just don't like to chance it.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
I would if I could. Unfortunately I use Verizon as my carrier (I work in some very rural areas where they're literally the only carrier with anything approaching reliable service) and verizon phones are... difficult... to root. They tend to have some proprietary firmware shit which makes it so rooting doesn't work the same way it does for the same model of phone not from verizon. Depending on the phone, you can still root, but it's not as straightforward. I just don't like to chance it.
You can debrand a lot of specific-brand devices. I've often converted a lot of Samsungs that way, flashed custom CSCs and even modified a few CSCs to support features from other carriers.

Reactions: Hargan2

Hargan2

Nov 27, 2017
You can debrand a lot of specific-brand devices. I've often converted a lot of Samsungs that way, flashed custom CSCs and even modified a few CSCs to support features from other carriers.
Yeah, fair. Rooting is a very good thing and I highly recommend people do it, I'm just not willing to do it myself because the last time I tried, I bricked my phone (after I had replaced it, thankfully)

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
Yeah, fair. Rooting is a very good thing and I highly recommend people do it, I'm just not willing to do it myself because the last time I tried, I bricked my phone (after I had replaced it, thankfully)
If it is a Qualcomm chipset, you can always use EDL to restore it, even if completely bricked.

Reactions: Hargan2

Hargan2

Nov 27, 2017
If it is a Qualcomm chipset, you can always use EDL to restore it, even if completely bricked.
Well, there's also the part where I don't know what EDL is. I'm currently using a 2017 motorola XT-1635. My bricked phone was a Galaxy S3, I believe I hit a Knox trigger or something and it just completely locked the phone. Couldn't boot into recovery or anything.

Edit oh EDL it's just a recovery mode. I know what those are.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
Well, there's also the part where I don't know what EDL is. I'm currently using a 2017 motorola XT-1635. My bricked phone was a Galaxy S3, I believe I hit a Knox trigger or something and it just completely locked the phone. Couldn't boot into recovery or anything.

Edit oh EDL it's just a recovery mode. I know what those are.
Knox is only about whether a phone has been rooted. Won't stop a phone from booting. Play Store uses it to help apps say 'f-off, omg you took control of your device, we no trustz you'. Netflix and other banking apps will not show up in Play Store for that device. Probably flashed/rooted incorrectly, it happens. Check out XDA sometime.

Hargan2

Nov 27, 2017
Knox is only about whether a phone has been rooted. Won't stop a phone from booting. Play Store uses it to help apps say 'f-off, omg you took control of your device, we no trustz you'. Netflix and other banking apps will not show up in Play Store for that device. Probably flashed/rooted incorrectly, it happens. Check out XDA sometime.
I'm familiar with XDA, it was of tremendous help in fixing up my fire tablet to work like a decent android tablet instead of being locked to only Amazon crap.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
I'm familiar with XDA, it was of tremendous help in fixing up my fire tablet to work like a decent android tablet instead of being locked to only Amazon crap.
I remember having to dump the eMMC, binary scan and extract partitions and then root, reflash, for a family member. Anyway, if you have a spare device, you can test out the JS changes I (random-key signed APK). If it works for more than just my two devices, it should work for all.

Hargan2

Nov 27, 2017
I remember having to dump the eMMC, binary scan and extract partitions and then root, reflash, for a family member. Anyway, if you have a spare device, you can test out the JS changes I (random-key signed APK). If it works for more than just my two devices, it should work for all.
Funny you should mention that! Literally just as you replied, I successfully got my own attempt working on my device without losing my saves!

Here's what I did, in probably the most roundabout way possible (I swear it wouldn't work any other way): used 7-zip to extract the main.hash.js file from the apk and change the two onMouseOver and two onMouseOut things to their touch equivalents like you said. Then I used 7-zip to update the .apk. Transfer to my test device. Install the unmodified .apk, make save. Attempt to install modified .apk, install errored out. Use luckypatcher to resign the original .apk and install as an update. Then use luckypatcher to resign the modified .apk and install as update. Boom, it works. Let me test yours now.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
Funny you should mention that! Literally just as you replied, I successfully got my own attempt working on my device without losing my saves!

Here's what I did, in probably the most roundabout way possible (I swear it wouldn't work any other way): used 7-zip to extract the main.hash.js file from the apk and change the two onMouseOver and two onMouseOut things to their touch equivalents like you said. Then I used 7-zip to update the .apk. Transfer to my test device. Install the unmodified .apk, make save. Attempt to install modified .apk, install errored out. Use luckypatcher to resign the original .apk and install as an update. Then use luckypatcher to resign the modified .apk and install as update. Boom, it works. Let me test yours now.
You basically used LP to do exactly what I would do with UAS. No need, you might face any kind of issue with storage because it is a different signature and LP usually pulls a tiny bit of work that helps survive data. :) Glad you managed to get your installation going. Did the touch event work?

Hargan2

Nov 27, 2017
You basically used LP to do exactly what I would do with UAS. No need. :) Glad you managed to get your installation going. Did the touch event work?
It did! Works perfectly, exactly as you described. I just hope I didn't, like, screw myself over somehow, like if future updates won't work because I screwed with the signature or something.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
How do I carry save files to the new update in Android?
You don't without root. Android sucks ass for sandboxing, most attempts at installing APKs over old APKs if they have different signatures will fail. If you have root, use Titanium Backup and then remove the old version, install the new version, then 'restore' the DATA ONLY. This should work. Not sure what update you mean, by the way. The APK I uploaded is just a work-around bug-fix for showing the descriptions of buttons before clicking them. One user used LuckyPatcher to rebuild the APK so that it would hopefully install over the old version despite the signature difference and have Android play nicely with the data not being considered part of a different 'app'.

hahaxddd

Apr 2, 2018
I found the issue, they're using onMouseOver, specifically:...
Awesome, it works, i just replaced the two events with the ontouchstart and ontouchend and it did wonders.
Btw, what did you use to edit the JS file? I tried Notepad++ and it just died on me and I managed to edit it using VS Code but it was slow af.

BupoTiling03-Retired

Modder
Jul 21, 2018
Awesome, it works, i just replaced the two events with the ontouchstart and ontouchend and it did wonders.
Btw, what did you use to edit the JS file? I tried Notepad++ and it just died on me and I managed to edit it using VS Code but it was slow af.
Aside from having a god-mode PC (I often go hungry...*whimper!*), I simply used a binary editor. They're most useful for editing/viewing large files. There is an exception I have depending on platform. When I was on Windows, I often used the best editor I ever found, especially for dealing with very large files (GBs!): EmEditor. I used to crack it every update, but now I use Linux. I love everything about Linux (free, open source, complete control), except the text editors suck ass. I can't even open some tiny files (1MB!) without the editors being a complete shit-show, even with all plugins disabled and no syntax highlighting. One of the few things I missed about reverse-engineering on Windows. (Also the very easy integration of a number of debug tools and unpackers.)

For Windows, HxD is a free, AWESOME and clean hex editor for binary files or drives, including binary comparison of files! You can also use EmEditor for a genuine text editor that can handle extremely large files. Comparing text files? Try Meld. Can lag for large stuff, but the line-by-line stuff can be great. That supports Linux, too.

Last edited:
4.00 star(s) 65 Votes