dontcarewhateverno

Jan 25, 2021
Western culture has the most teen pregnancies....

It hasn't been unusual for over a decade.
Unusual enough to get a mention in the game beyond already having her in college, imo, as she'd have to have been pregnant in high school. And it's actually declined a bunch since the 90's. Just seems like poor writing is all I'm saying.

Western culture having the most teen pregnancies is also untrue. Maybe compared to first-world Asian nations. Always tends to be higher in poorer countries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Where'sTheLolis?
Dec 15, 2022
Unusual enough to get a mention in the game beyond already having her in college, imo, as she'd have to have been pregnant in high school. And it's actually declined a bunch since the 90's. Just seems like poor writing is all I'm saying.

Western culture having the most teen pregnancies is also untrue. Maybe compared to first-world Asian nations. Always tends to be higher in poorer countries.
Black girls in western world (mostly USA) have the most teenage pregnancies (unmarried). Of course if you count black Africa, they win, but the marry a lot younger too.

dontcarewhateverno

Jan 25, 2021
Black girls in western world (mostly USA) have the most teenage pregnancies (unmarried). Of course if you count black Africa, they win, but the marry a lot younger too.
When you narrow parameters and specifications (unmarried, selected only in a certain racial demographic, leaving out certain countries from specifications), then sure, though it becomes a different question entirely by then. And it kind of proves my original response to the other poster with more details I didn't feel the need to break down.

White teen from a Western country who almost definitely comes from a middle-class+ background (afforded college right after HS, even despite pregnancy, well-spoken daughter, own home, ect) = not a "pretty common age for teen mothers" given the demographic situation. The struggle should've/would've been brought up. Without that exposition, story feels like it's playing very loose and sloppy with the ages here, for convenience of the writer's whims.

FatGiant

Engaged Member
Jan 7, 2022
What every other 18yo does (or at least did): get a job. When I was 18 most everyone already had a part time one that they got at 16 after school and had money saved up to do those things. If you didn't, well, tough shit, as parents weren't expected to let their kids leech off of them until they were 30 or whatever. You had 3 choices after graduation: get a job (ideally just put in more hours at the part time the one you already had for 2 years), go on to college, or join the military. Just staying home and staying with parents wasn't a 4th option, you either left the nest or you were kicked out of it.
I'll try to remain civil, but I assure you it will be hard, so, if I fail, be forewarned.

I have 4 kids, all adults. Not only wouldn't I ever dream of throwing them out, I feel such a strong repulse for that idea that I struggle to even answer you politely.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for someone on a part-time or even a full time job to rent even a studio, even ONLY a room (starting price for rooms is about the full time minimum wage and that is without kitchen privileges and VERY limited uses of a WC), let's not even talk about buying a house.

You may be living in a dream world if you aren't aware of the problems with this all over the world. Your comment comes out so, but so, insulting as if you slapped people in the face for no reason.

I'll stop here, because I don't really want to be banned for your sake.

Peace :mad:

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
What every other 18yo does (or at least did): get a job.
For an 18-year-old in my city (which isn't an overly expensive one in my country) to rent an apartment in a shitty and dubious neighborhood, they'd need three things:

1) Around $2000 US for the security deposit and the first month's rent.

2) A positive credit report, which they wouldn't have if they'd been living under their parents' roof until now.

3) A salary that reflected their ability to earn three times their rent on a monthly basis, which is the only way they're getting approved to rent the apartment. That's $36,000 US. No 18 year old who isn't a tech genius is making that.

Meanwhile, she has nowhere to live while trying to assemble that money, and no way to build the credit score she'd need to rent an apartment in the first place.

But sure. "Get a job."

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
If the daughter's already 18 why doesn't she simply get her own dammed place? Why does she need to move in with the MC? Makes no sense. Now if she was actually 15-17 and still in high school that seems more plausable, as then she'd move in with MC to avoid an orphanage or foster care.
"Grrr, this fictional girl with her fictional dead parents in this fictional story doesn't live up to my life experiences .... I must rage against the interwebs"

Sonico

Engaged Member
Jul 21, 2018
"Grrr, this fictional girl with her fictional dead parents in this fictional story doesn't live up to my life experiences .... I must rage against the interwebs"
Are you assuming life experiences instead of overblown expectations of a couch potato? Madness....

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
My first "apartment" (actually a 1BR house in just outside a small town of 500 or so) cost all of $80/mo (I'd guess $200 in 2023 dollars, that was 30+ years ago),
I'm gonna go by UK pricing because I have no idea about the dollar pricing of US, Aus, Canada? No idea who else uses dollars.

Anyway.....

Lets say she has a part time job, she also at college so can't do fulltime, her parents have literally just died so she's also grieving and trying to cover costs for funeral expenses and any debts passed down to her.

Let's be generous and give her £600 a month. You'd be damned lucky to find anywhere under £500 that isn't a house share and even those are around £300. So that's half her money gone. Electricity, gas and water rates next, that's about £250 if she's economical and not on a meter because those things massively overcharge. Internet is usually needed for college so that's all her money gone now.

We've still got food, clothing, travel expenses, money for any emergencies that come up and she's got nothing she needs for her education.

Or she can take the generous offer made by her mothers best friend, her godmother. A roof over her head and a place to grieve with people that care about her and give her a chance to save and get some capital before she goes out on her own.

Her moving out on her own would also make a shit story.

Welcome to Triangle, the budget sim where you can rejoice over the modern cost of living and constantly raising prices because everyone wants to fap to the economy.....

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
Welcome to Triangle, the budget sim where you can rejoice over the modern cost of living and constantly raising prices because everyone wants to fap to the economy.....
That would be super hot. A sandbox in which you go to work every day, with a graphic bug in the upper right corner that shows you slowly going into debt until you're homeless, and then game over. Bigger than DMD!

Last edited:

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
My first "apartment" (actually a 1BR house in just outside a small town of 500 or so) cost all of $80/mo
I'm deleting the rest of this to point out that, in my country, you couldn't even exist as a homeless person on this little money. Nor could you live on this level of public assistance. It's simply impossible for you to eat, sleep under a cover, and live with that little compensation. Is that an indictment of where I live? Maybe? But I grew up in an extremely poor town in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by addition and poverty and public assistance, and you still needed around $20K/year to live any sort of human life. And that was in the mid-90s.

The current poverty line where I live — one of the poorest big cities in my country, though to stand in the middle of it you'd think it was swimming in wealth — is $20K. That's to pay for a roof, utilities, clothes, and food. No health care, no dentists, no transportation to wherever it is you work, no mobile phones, no internet...none of that. Just the basics of existence.

Last edited:

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
I priced this out: if I ate the absolute cheapest packaged noodles (ramen, whatever) available in the cheapest Asian markets, every single day — one meal per day, no other food, no fruit, no vegetables, no anything — that's $20 US/month. Electricity for me to be able to boil water and cook those noodles is $26/month. So that's $47/month, already over half of the proposed $80/month, and I don't even have a place to live. Or a phone to look for jobs. Or healthcare. Or a place to store my belongings, because that costs money too.

People can be so weird about this stuff. "Triangle would be so much hotter if we drove the young girl into desperate poverty and..."

Okay, I guess I see where some pervs might be going with all that, but: gross. It's not that kind of game. It's sweet and loving and ends beautifully.

Quetzzz

Sep 29, 2023
Because she doesn't have the money? How do you expect an 18 year old girl to afford her own home/flat other than parents giving her the money to do so?
Only finished this game earlier, but I don't think the writer thought this through.
Jenny would've been the sole heir of her parent's estate. Now enter MC, with whatever he does at that bank, and Sarah, a successful lawyer. They'd be the ideal people to help Jenny with putting her life back together (funeral, inheritance, ...).
Now, we don't know anything about their financial situation, and it is entirely possible that, after all expenses, there wasn't anything left. I also wouldn't propose spending too much time on the funeral or inheritance either. But I still think it's a large gap in Jenny's backstory.
Realistically, Jenny would've buried her parents only a few days before the MC picks her up, and dealing with an inheritance can take months.

4.20 star(s) 125 Votes