4.00 star(s) 27 Votes

TKdropemoff

Oct 4, 2023
It's interesting in that regard, some devs face huge amounts of toxicity in here regarding that issue, so much so that i can understand them leaving this site completely. Yet some threads like yours and few others stay quite civil. Can't exactly say what causes it, but i'm thankful for those civil threads. I rather like having and watcing good discussions, even if i were to disagree with something. It's environment that encourages constructive criticism rather than just outright negativity.
because him as a dev earned that trust and respect.
and that says alot. He is one of the few good ones in my eyes.
All his games to me been great.
and it also helps the dev got completed games under his belt, and stayed true to what he likes,
and gained a pretty loyal following from those.
I get excited for every new game of his, because I know it's right on track with all of my taste.

Grumpy Old Aussie

Engaged Member
May 6, 2023
because him as a dev earned that trust and respect.
and that says alot. He is one of the few good ones in my eyes.
All his games to me been great.
and it also helps the dev got completed games under his belt, and stayed true to what he likes,
and gained a pretty loyal following from those.
I get excited for every new game of his, because I know it's right on track with all of my taste.
ToaM is the first work of Talothral I found. I was so impressed I've been playing some of the devs older releases. He writes a great story. Definitely one of the best.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
well it was nice update besides being short, had funnies and plot moved somewhere.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

teabaiseach

Nov 12, 2017
Talothral I think I've encountered a bug caused by the mix of opacity and multi speaker systems as you have implemented. The second speakers background overlaps the first speaker. This seems to be caused by having the background in the window declaration it renders the style disabling of the second speakers background ineffective. By which I mean if you remove the background used to add opacity namely lines 149,151,157 and 159 of screens.rpy it will work as expected. One possible work around is by assigning multispeaker windows I managed to get something similar to what would normally be produced by replacing your muliple2 stuff (lines 2160 to end of screens.rpy) with:
I really have no idea what I'm doing. The numbers are all trial and error by someone that doesn't know renpy trying to make something look like the original settings. There is almost certainly a better way to do it hopefully seeing this doesn't end up confusing the issue.

Reactions: Talothral

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
Talothral I think I've encountered a bug caused by the mix of opacity and multi speaker systems as you have implemented. The second speakers background overlaps the first speaker. This seems to be caused by having the background in the window declaration it renders the style disabling of the second speakers background ineffective. By which I mean if you remove the background used to add opacity namely lines 149,151,157 and 159 of screens.rpy it will work as expected. One possible work around is by assigning multispeaker windows I managed to get something similar to what would normally be produced by replacing your muliple2 stuff (lines 2160 to end of screens.rpy) with:
I really have no idea what I'm doing. The numbers are all trial and error by someone that doesn't know renpy trying to make something look like the original settings. There is almost certainly a better way to do it hopefully seeing this doesn't end up confusing the issue.
I think when it comes to ren'py it is called a "feature" not a bug... >.>

I'll look into it more deeply once I get a chance. While it can be annoying it isn't exactly game breaking. And I think I missed it completly because I use completly transparent textbox. Although solution probably will be just "resizing" the png that is used to darken the area where ever it is set.

• Haha
Reactions: cxx

teabaiseach

Nov 12, 2017
I think when it comes to ren'py it is called a "feature" not a bug... >.>

I'll look into it more deeply once I get a chance. While it can be annoying it isn't exactly game breaking. And I think I missed it completly because I use completly transparent textbox. Although solution probably will be just "resizing" the png that is used to darken the area where ever it is set.
I imagine its the issue you face with all middleware/game engines etc the easier they are the more you end up fighting with the defaults to do things that are not already there. Its all those situations where the engines devs go "Your trying to do what? why?".

The issue is super meh I mean I'm pretty sure I must have seen it when playing but I don't recall it I usually have the opacity slider somewhere in the middle I think.

I'm not sure about resizing though as a fix as I understand it, and I'm probably wrong, the issue is the opacity backgrounds are drawn when ever there is a say I suppose if there is a way to detect a multisay you can add another if around them like for none or "" and skip them but its sort of all or none as I understand it. The reason the windows thing works is that it creates two separate windows each with there own backgrounds and dimensions. The normal multisay system relies on the background being in a style that can be overridden. Again I'm probably wrong.

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
My opacity slider is at 0 always so the issue wouldn't be visible, simply because ren'py stacks the textbox.png. Hypothetically speaking the "background Null()" should have removed it, but we are talking about ren'py... Anyway...

Talked to Shaddy after causing a few explosions and did a bit more elegant solution that will support more than 2 talkers if need be. And by did, I mean he gave the code he is using, then after some more explosions it was fixed, and ends up looking like:

Needs more tweaks but way too sober for that.

teabaiseach

Nov 12, 2017
Needs more tweaks but way too sober for that.
Glad its sorted and the reason the null doesn't work is that the backgrounds are part of the function and not contained in a style which would allow it to be overridden as the multispeaker system is implemented at the style level. As styles are compiled at initialization any changes to opacity would require styles be rebuilt or renpy restarted which is why the backgrounds are added where they are. As I understand it.

Anyhoo sorry for any headaches this caused and thanks for all your games. Have you ever thought of putting them on itch.io?

Slick Bean

Sep 9, 2023
1708887299518.png
For all those who missed the first secret in the tavern - two mini skirted pixies getting groceries.
And then just something for fun really. They must have eaten those supplies and are wondering, kind of disheartened, whether they should have gotten more.

1708887388677.png
M . U . T . I . N . Y ??? Seems our familiar is growling our companions into submission, right?!?
Hmmm... yeah... Okay. I mean... Right, honestly I'm not sure what to say here. It shouldn't be too surprising to see this despite everything. Although there is something else before this and a time skip, but that's kind of given.

Progress 23.02.2024 - Rendering is going alright, it is pretty much where it should be despite dev doubts since one of the scenes took longer than was thought it would. But it has few more renders than normally as dev is experimenting with a few things. But all is good, probably will take a day or two longer to render. Not that it matters much.

Writing is okayish shape, just little problem solving has gotten in the way but it in decent shape overall,
but dev recons will get some more writing time in over the weekend as always.

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
And it is time once more for the public release. As usual if you want additional links wait until the OP is updated or grab them from discord or the blog.

Tribulations of Mage 0.8.0

PC:
PC Compressed:
MAC:
MAC Compressed:
Update only:
Compressed Update only:
Android:

Changelog:

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
And it is time once more for the public release. As usual if you want additional links wait until the OP is updated or grab them from discord or the blog.

Tribulations of Mage 0.8.0

PC:
PC Compressed:
MAC:
MAC Compressed:
Update only:
Compressed Update only:
Android:

Changelog:
I get a fatal error with the full PC gofile link.
1709510393656.png

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
I tried Chrome, Midori and Edge.
Interesting, the link works for me on the tablet but not on my phone. Although the error is different and looks like the GoFile's account system is getting hammered. All the links works on tablet, and fail on the phone. Same with Chrome vs Firefox.

EDIT: Started to work on the phone as well but not with firefox :unsure:

Last edited:
4.00 star(s) 27 Votes