4.00 star(s) 28 Votes

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
How long do you think it will take for word that he succeeded to reach the palace? I am sure that the Empress and others will know almost immediately that the tower has been taken and by whom. Especially since they basically offered the MC up as a sacrificial lamb without his knowing it.
hear? sure but nothing beats personal report with questions and answers.

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
My authors mind strikes again. I was just stating what I see happening if I was writing the plot.
Aye, and nothing wrong with that ;)

Truth to be told the biggest reason why the visit happens now and not later is because certain things need to develop in the background to feel "natural" and without too many time skips. So the things can simmer in the background while we do A, then go do B while thing C simmers to a boiling point, and then do event C. Just need the catalysts in place so the progression feels more natural instead of "oh hey we are going to do X now because I snapped my fingers."

Ramagar

Nov 19, 2017
Aye, and nothing wrong with that ;)

Truth to be told the biggest reason why the visit happens now and not later is because certain things need to develop in the background to feel "natural" and without too many time skips. So the things can simmer in the background while we do A, then go do B while thing C simmers to a boiling point, and then do event C. Just need the catalysts in place so the progression feels more natural instead of "oh hey we are going to do X now because I snapped my fingers."
I am sure you have it all figured out. Or most of it anyway. You do a very good job of telling your story. I thought about writing a game, but doing a game is way different than doing a book.

Reactions: Talothral

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
I am sure you have it all figured out. Or most of it anyway. You do a very good job of telling your story. I thought about writing a game, but doing a game is way different than doing a book.
Not too different really. It's just more writing to accommodate the choices, so there can be a bit of twists and turns how do you go from point A to point B. Truth to be told, every single game that has some sort of story is going to be linear, even "sandboxes" have it if there is a story present. It's just how do you get to the next point of it. Do you go straight to it, or take detour or twenty.

Witcher 3 is considered one of the good sandbox games because of the "freedom it allows". Yes, you can go to where you want (within reasonable limits) do what you want in order your want, but in the end you still take the required steps to complete the story. Just that the order might not be what was originally envisioned.

Last edited:

Ramagar

Nov 19, 2017
Not too different really. It's just more writing to accommodate the choices, so there can be a bit of twists and turns how do you go from point A to point B. Truth to be told, every single game that has some sort of story is going to be linear, even "sandboxes" have it if there is a story present. It's just how do you get to the next point of it. Do you go straight to it, or take detour or twenty.

Witcher 3 is considered one of the good sandbox games because of the "freedom it allows". Yes, you can to where you want (within reasonable limits) do what you want in order your want, but in the end you still take the required steps to complete the story. Just that the order might not be what was originally envisioned.
Looking at it like that makes sense. I do a outline of the series, then the book, then each chapter. So I know what happens when. Yes I have been surprised when something happens I did not expect. Even when I have it pretty well mapped out.

I once wrote a throw away character that was suppose to die gloriously in order to save the MC. A lot of proofreaders and such got very very upset I did that. He had a unique name. So I had to rewrite things so that character lived and his second did the death scene. Ended up doing 6 books on that character.

Reactions: Talothral

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
Looking at it like that makes sense. I do a outline of the series, then the book, then each chapter. So I know what happens when. Yes I have been surprised when something happens I did not expect. Even when I have it pretty well mapped out.

I once wrote a throw away character that was suppose to die gloriously in order to save the MC. A lot of proofreaders and such got very very upset I did that. He had a unique name. So I had to rewrite things so that character lived and his second did the death scene. Ended up doing 6 books on that character.
Yeah... certain flexibility is needed. I always know how things start and end, what is between them unravels itself once I get to write it. There are plans and notes, but at times taking a different direction than what you've planned leads into a better result.

Reactions: Ramagar

HentaiKami

Engaged Member
Jan 27, 2019
You are correct, however the tower is not in the Empire where the Emperor and Empress are. It was stated if I remember correctly, that the Archmage will be the ruling party in the area.
Considering that the alignment, which is clearly some kind of prophesied extinction level event unless side of "light" wins it, i'd say that having good working relationship with the largest and most powerful, even if bit fractured at the moment, nation is good idea.

Besides, i'd say that MC's attitude has been pretty reasonable, while he is clearly a powerful mage, he isn't the most powerful nor most skillful, hence he defers to others expertise when it is suitable. I wouldn't consider that kind of behaviour pushover, since usually the most successful people, that actually succeed without inheriting the success, act in that way. Now when they are the one that has most skill, power and knowledge, then they act decisively. Being bull headed when you don't have all the necessary information is just going to lead to ruin in situation like where MC has found himself in. It's also part why the mages in the independent northern kingdoms didn't just outright scoff at the empresses' suggestions. They listened and heeded the parts they found wise.

Reactions: SpatulaPie

HentaiKami

Engaged Member
Jan 27, 2019
Lots of things are yet to be seen. And I am sure that there are a lot of people all over that will not like what the MC does. Then there are going to be a lot who like what he does and still others who do not care.

By being the Archmage of the tower, he technically outranks all the other mages in the Empire, if not all over. The Emperor will not like it, but I think the Empress will.
Nah, there are other Archmages, for example Empress is one currently. And no archmage outranks another, but would most likely defer to others expertise and experience in matters.

Ramagar

Nov 19, 2017
Nah, there are other Archmages, for example Empress is one currently. And no archmage outranks another, but would most likely defer to others expertise and experience in matters.
If I remember correctly, it was stated that whoever occupied the tower was the highest ranking as it had been empty for a long time. Or at least not fully controlled. It was said a lot of others had attempted to take and own the tower, but they all failed.

The mage college in the Empire sent the MC out to fail. Just like all the others before him did. Which means that there is something about the MC that they fear or dislike or both.

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
Considering that the alignment, which is clearly some kind of prophesied extinction level event unless side of "light" wins it, i'd say that having good working relationship with the largest and most powerful, even if bit fractured at the moment, nation is good idea.
Nitpick from my part mostly, it isn't "prophesied" as is, it is "natural" event that happens every 1000 or so years. Natural in quotes because the origin isn't anything natural, but stems to the whole war between ancients and the gods. Which kind of ended up fucking the world, the stars, the weave of fates, and magic up for a really long time. And the alignment is the result of the magics that were used by both sides to rip the barriers between life and death apart.

Then the first "war of souls" started because bunch of power hungry necromancer and demon worshippers noticed that "hey, there are tons of souls hiding in the afterlife and with the barriers almost gone they are easy to pull and consume for power!" and thus they started doing that and killing and eating a bunch of people (mostly demons since they get hungry). And then the still living beings decided that "fuck this" and fought back. And the cycle tends to repeat itself because there is always some jackass wanting to become the next Emperor/King/Caliph/Sultan/Maharadza or just wants to rule the world because reasons.

... I might have oversimplified the thing a lot, but that's the basic idea of the thing. There is some stuff about it later from the characters perspective, which might not be entirely accurate, but close enough.
If I remember correctly, it was stated that whoever occupied the tower was the highest ranking as it had been empty for a long time. Or at least not fully controlled. It was said a lot of others had attempted to take and own the tower, but they all failed.

The mage college in the Empire sent the MC out to fail. Just like all the others before him did. Which means that there is something about the MC that they fear or dislike or both.
Of the Northern mages. At least that was the intention, need to check do I need to clarify that. But the line of thought people in power was that "it doesn't hurt to try to send someone who actually knows how to fight up north and maybe, just maybe be the unifying factor for the Northen mages when the time comes."

Logan3000x

Oct 10, 2018
Of the Northern mages. At least that was the intention, need to check do I need to clarify that. But the line of thought people in power was that "it doesn't hurt to try to send someone who actually knows how to fight up north and maybe, just maybe be the unifying factor for the Northen mages when the time comes."
it would be great if the MC unifies the north under him ( of course it had to be done step by step across the overarching story) and has the mountain as the center of his kingdom/empire.

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
it would be great if the MC unifies the north under him ( of course it had to be done step by step across the overarching story) and has the mountain as the center of his kingdom/empire.
Realistically, that would take decades, with lots of blood and steel. And not a good idea exactly if and when the next war of the souls breaks. The barrier between life and death is barely there in couple of years, and while it might be decades until any fights reaches the northern mountains there are those northern liches that got mentioned... so it might be closer as well...

Reactions: Logan3000x

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
MC is just going through the motions. MC does not need the tower, as the Empress, as the top mage in the Empire, outright told the north Mages to accept MC as their Master Mage. MC has the biggest familiar and NIsha would slay that wolf and his owner in a second and secure the throne. MC is not supposed to unite the mages or the lands and MC is not doing any of that. Ayaka would
1723768488391.png
her way throgh all those useless mages and secure the rule, yet we get the lone wolf adventure of a delusional MC.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

HentaiKami

Engaged Member
Jan 27, 2019

Highest ranking in that region, Empire is different region for purposes of Archmage responsibilities. Each Archmage have their own region they are responsible.

Horny Toad

May 23, 2019
Man the things you know when you are so far ahead...

Updates 23 (partially anyway), 24, 25, and at least a portion of 26 (maybe 27 not sure yet need to write it) will deal with the relationship with the empire, and the academy. How things form up? That you have to wait and see. Some choices that have been done might make things go badly, some might make things go nicely. And without too many spoilers, people still want to see what is going to happen to Ayaka's father.
I hope that racist gets what should come to him. But then if based on real life, those in power and with money usually don't have to worry about the crap they do.

4.00 star(s) 28 Votes