Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Mar 22, 2020
View attachment 1420860
UNEXPECTED [v0.1.1] Walkthrough Mod
The Mod highlights the best choices with green color.​

Installation:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Note: The Mod can help you sometimes, but make your own choices and see the amazing story that the Dev's gave us.

Download: MEGA - -

As always if you like this Amazing Game please show your support for the Dev,
If you like my work please consider supporting me on my or .
Could I pretty please get a link: https://f95zone.to/threads/unexpected-v0-1-1-xpected.71602/post-6638748

Reactions: Hhjb and Yahya5555

Osider

RedHead
Donor
Sep 23, 2019
You said you downloaded it again. I guess the previous recordings weren't stopping. Maybe I guess you never saved the game.
Hey i have not played the latest version, i have a question if you can answer (in spoiler tag of course like i will ask in spoiler tag too) about something that might push me to stop playing the game.

SPOILER DON'T CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED

Reactions: I am X

I am X

XPECTED GAMES
Game Developer
Dec 25, 2020
The renders look pretty damn good (and while they remind me of some other characters, if I went by that metric like 99% of games here would have to face that criticism, so it's cool) and the music does its job well. Not too overbearing, fits the general mood of the scenes, not repetitive. The few ambient sounds also fit quite well.
Music and sound effects are very important to me. I try to place it as well as I can. At the same time, P spends a lot of time with scenes. He is always trying his best to do better. We will achieve great things together.
The other part is the main characters family name. I get that it's this whole brand thing with the game being called "Unexpected" the team being called "xpected" and the 2 devs calling themselves "X" and "P" here and all that is nice, but the suspension of disbelief needed to accept that a respected businessman has the last name xpected is a bit too much to ask. When I hear Haru "Xpected" as a name, I imagine something like a rapper or other musician or probably something like an e-sports progamer and his gamertag, maybe even a clown or comedian or something, but most definitely not an influential and ruthless businessman that I'm supposed to be worried about or generally take seriously for the remainder of the story. Cora Specter was a similar case but I can actually see someone using a surname like that, since it's at least a noun and a complete word. Having an adjective like "expected" as a lastname seems far more silly and the removal of the first letter only serves to make it even worse.
Frankly, we decided to change them.
As I think a few people have pointed out before the writing and pacing is kind of a mess. The very start of the story with the betrayal already shows that since right in the middle of a scene that is supposed to be suspenseful you are suddenly thrown into exposition dumps about the siblings with those exposion-dumps themselves not even providing enough information to make up for the damage they just did to the intros pacing.

First as a general remark: It would probably be best to just not have this information dump so early because it is an immediate barrage of names and terms before the reader even knows what the story will be about and had the time to get invested and care about all these terms and names. This could have instead been the main character thinking about his family at a later point in time (after the flight). Just have him sit in a cab, think about how fucked up his life is now and realize that he has now joined the club because all his siblings (except the one he would think is dead) are not in the best state either, leading to their introductions. But if you really want to have all this info right in the intro, then I'll still go into the individual parts for them.

"Drake vanished 3 weeks ago, also a few days ago he contacted the main character to say he's gonna be a nomad now.". There is no context to this. Not a word about if the main character and Drake are close, if Drake had come into conflict with his father before suddenly disappearing, if the father had any reaction to his son disappearing. It just feels like a random image and line thrown in there.

Gia is described as fearless and ruthless with no hint as to why she is supposed to be so ruthless, what she did in her life before to earn that reputation or anything and then an immediate display of lack of ruthlessness by not shooting Perla. Once again any context there would have helped. Perla is their stepsister and seems to be a snake so how come the "ruthless" Gia spared her anyway? Were they close? Has Perla been a trustworthy stepsister for all this time before suddenly setting her plans to get rid of the other siblings in motion now?

Likewise the line "Perla felt her stepbrothers and stepsisters were failing to give their father the value he deserves." also seems odd on its own. The only one to have been introduced so far that that would make sense for is the main character who is currently in the process of sabotaging his dad. We literally know nothing about Drake and all we know about Gia is the "fearless and ruthless" part with not a sentence spent on telling us if they ever disappointed their father before, if they were at odds with him, if they had left the company and gone for other careers or anything. I'd recommend either providing context there or straight up removing the part trying to explain Perlas motivation and keeping it a mystery until you are at a point in the story where we know enough about the family to have the context for her backstabbing.

The supernatural reveal about Kyla also seems a bit quick since nothing else in the current version seems to go in a supernatural direction. Could have simply gone "And then there is the last daughter-" only for the main character to see that his copy has finished and for him to leave. The readers would keep in the back of their heads that something must be odd about the last one since there was no intro on her and the readers can also be made to believe that they are simply in a futuristic/cyberpunk setting. Maybe, over the course of the next updates, throw in some weird events that happen from time to time and seem unnatural but leave it up to the readers to interpret them as something else only to get back to the introduction of the last sister way later and drop the reveal that there are superpowered humans in this world.
Thank you very much for the opinions and explanations. I've worked on a few retrospective things. In this process, I have added most of the things you have already mentioned. And I'm adding more. We are at the very beginning of our game. And our training and warming process took a very long time. We wanted to release the game immediately. And got used to these during this training process and we became unable to see the mistakes. But your good and constructive comments are very important to us. We strive to do our best and we will continue to do so.
Beyond that I also generally like the IDEA this is going for. I feel like I can see what this story is trying to be and I'd be absolutely on board for that, as there can never be too many stories that go in the cyberpunk-y tech-espionage corruption/crime thriller direction.
Your foresight looks really good...
This not a big deal and mostly minor gripes, but still. The beginning age verification section is mostly fine but the only odd part I noticed in there was actually the talk with the first person, because it seems weirdly pointless after the age question.
To paraphrase "So anyway, make sure you only think of yourself. Protect yourself. Did you hear me? Make sure you survive. Trust only yourself." followed by a "Or don't. Do what you want." only to then immediately go back into "But still, I'm saying look out for yourself and protect yourself." etc. seems needlessly repetitive and heavyhanded/preachy. That whole part could have been condensed into a simple "Before you go, here's some advice for you, take it or leave it: Always look after number one, because no one else will.".
This section has developed quite rapidly. I can say that I learned at the last moment that we had to do it. We will fix this. You can be sure.
The whole bathroom scene with Shay starts out okay but then goes off the rails. When the main character suddenly starts shouting commands in capslock I was genuinely confused at first. I wasn't sure if he was supposed to be having a mental breakdown, some kind of PTSD or if he's some psychopath that's gonna chop her to pieces afterwards. Shay literally had to say "You are dominating me." for me to understand that the intent seems to have been to make this a BDSM scene? Cause if that is the whole point and you're not trying to kill the mood, maybe just keep the exclamation marks but drop the capslock (it makes him seem less like he is dominant and in control and more like he is babyraging and screaming his lungs out) and maybe condense the weirdly desperate/needy "Don't talk so much! Come on!" into a simple "Silence!" or "Shut up!" or something along those lines. The way he is holding her hips already covers the "come on" part. Shay saying something along the lines of "Heh. So dominant~" or "You sure know what you want." would probably also feel more natural and show off that she's into it rather than fully spelling it all out by going "Hey. You are dominating me. I like it.", cause that seems almost a bit robotic.
Shay has a unique and reckless personality. We tried to make it look neither too careless nor too sweet. But I guess we didn't quite succeed. We will take a look at the dialogues on the scenes again.
Might seem like a lot but I mostly wrote it because I felt like this VN has lots of potential if it can avoid breaking its legs at the starting line.
Don't lose your feelings...

Last edited:

Arigon

Engaged Member
Aug 27, 2020
Thinking about starting this game. I like aspects of the premise, and one of the girls is a favorite already..... so do you guys know if you can steal the stuff for yourself? Personally I wouldn't screw over dad from the looks of it but I am just curious if the rationale makes sense? I have started so many games just to delete them when the story is torqued.
Thanks in advance for advice on this game
Peace

giggitygigity

Aug 24, 2019
The other part is the main characters family name. I get that it's this whole brand thing with the game being called "Unexpected" the team being called "xpected" and the 2 devs calling themselves "X" and "P" here and all that is nice, but the suspension of disbelief needed to accept that a respected businessman has the last name xpected is a bit too much to ask. When I hear Haru "Xpected" as a name, I imagine something like a rapper or other musician or probably something like an e-sports progamer and his gamertag, maybe even a clown or comedian or something, but most definitely not an influential and ruthless businessman that I'm supposed to be worried about or generally take seriously for the remainder of the story. Cora Specter was a similar case but I can actually see someone using a surname like that, since it's at least a noun and a complete word. Having an adjective like "expected" as a lastname seems far more silly and the removal of the first letter only serves to make it even worse.
Thank you, you said what I couldn't even to express properly...

L7Bear

May 29, 2017
I'm so confused and my eyes hurt*.
Let's skip the part where something unclear in 2044 happens a day before 2022.
There's a scene with Sharon &/or Noora on an airplane that just keeps reusing the same images over and over, but one time it cuts to what appears to be the MC talking to some other character along a walking path near the water at night, but then it goes back to the airplane with Sharon/Noora who seems to be just walking to her seat before the earlier part of the scene where she was sitting down and by the time they get off the airplane and go for coffee (or not) I had lost any thread of what the plot was or who the characters are.

Which character was it that got serum-X and is insane, has supernatural powers, and is locked inside a house never able to get out again? That's what playing this game felt like.

*I don't mean the renders are ugly. They're quite pretty. I mean they literally hurt because of the sharp contrast between SUPER BRIGHT and incredibly dark and trying to read the text.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Since this project is still somewhat new and might improve I figured I'd rather give my 2(0000) cents here, than add a low review rating only for the game to improve in a couple updates:

I was thinking of leaving a big comment with some constructive criticisms, but you pretty much covered everything.

The first release absolutely left an impression on me. That's more than could be said about the vast majority of games that drop with essentially no plot hook to get players interested. So good job. Not everything is perfect. In fact, there is a lot that could be improved, mostly on the writing side. The English could really use a make over. That is the bare minimum though. I agree that the script and the narrative structure itself needs some work. I felt the same way about the intro. I think it could have been more focused, cutting out the sibling stuff. Maybe it's just me, but it was also a little bit confusing when it showed 2044. I have some guesses, but the significance of that 2044 scene is a bit unclear.

Some other things that I felt was a bit weak. Noora's Q&A session was rather boring and unnatural. Presumably, these 2 are quite close already. Close enough for the MC to reveal the entire plan and situation to. Having an interview style dialogue chain is kind of out of place. The relevant bits of information revealed through this exchange could happen in a more natural conversation.

I personally like male dom in scenes. In fact, I kinda need some male dom vibes to even fap lol. That said, it was really sudden and unexpected when he started the male dom talks because the MC acted like a typical hero complex guy so far. A generally good person could be dominating in bed, sure, but it will certainly feel a bit out of place if this aspect of MC's personality is never addressed.

One thing I felt while playing this was that the MC was a bit out of his element. Sharon is the one running the whole thing. He just stole the most sensitive data, but he doesn't know what to do with this. He doesn't have connections of his own. He doesn't have a plan. He is sitting around for instructions from his mom. He seems way too loose with the fact that he betrayed his father, telling his secretary and driver pretty much everything without question. Perhaps this is intentional. It's still very early in the story, and maybe the intent is to show him growing into a more competent person at the center of a huge conspiracy or something.

If there is one advice I could give when writing a story with a serious and urgent subject matter at it's core, it would be to keep this core plot as the focus in which most other events revolve around.

Having an actual editor or writing consultant look over the script might help... but I suppose only the most serious devs even consider something like that. It's still interesting enough to play, but I think most of us giving criticism are considering the potential this game could reach if the script was handled with more finesse. Good luck.

edit: wait I did end up leaving a big comment lol.

Reactions: fakitap

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
There's a scene with Sharon &/or Noora on an airplane that just keeps reusing the same images over and over, but one time it cuts to what appears to be the MC talking to some other character along a walking path near the water at night, but then it goes back to the airplane with Sharon/Noora who seems to be just walking to her seat before the earlier part of the scene where she was sitting down and by the time they get off the airplane and go for coffee (or not) I had lost any thread of what the plot was or who the characters are.
By the way, this was something that confused me greatly as well. I don't know how many other people had the same impression as me and L7Bear, but it honestly looks like the MC is talking to Noora instead of talking on the phone with Sharon. I really thought that this was some kind of crazy sci-fi tech, where Sharon is wirelessly connected to Noora and is talking through her. My first read on the situation was that Noora was some type of sleeper agent who doesn't even know that she is being manipulated by Sharon and MC. She is moving her mouth and generally being animated during the scene like she was talking. Then we hear the click of the phone hanging up, but I mistook it to be like logging out of Noora's mind, because at that moment Noora is looking down and acting like she is "offline." Then she looks up again is confused what is going on. There is multiple zoom ins into her boobs for no apparent reason. I thought there must be a reason for these zoom ins other than just "boobs," so I focused on her red pendant. I thought this was some kind of device being used to hack into her mind... or something like that lol. I was waiting for this plot point to come up again, but it never did lol. I actually thought this was the case for the whole game, until I went back and reread some of the intro scenes when writing my earlier post.

Reactions: afifkow and L7Bear

punisher2099

Forum Fanatic
Feb 25, 2020
By the way, this was something that confused me greatly as well. I don't know how many other people had the same impression as me and L7Bear, but it honestly looks like the MC is talking to Noora instead of talking on the phone with Sharon. I really thought that this was some kind of crazy sci-fi tech, where Sharon is wirelessly connected to Noora and is talking through her. My first read on the situation was that Noora was some type of sleeper agent who doesn't even know that she is being manipulated by Sharon and MC. She is moving her mouth and generally being animated during the scene like she was talking. Then we hear the click of the phone hanging up, but I mistook it to be like logging out of Noora's mind, because at that moment Noora is looking down and acting like she is "offline." Then she looks up again is confused what is going on. There is multiple zoom ins into her boobs for no apparent reason. I thought there must be a reason for these zoom ins other than just "boobs," so I focused on her red pendant. I thought this was some kind of device being used to hack into her mind... or something like that lol. I was waiting for this plot point to come up again, but it never did lol. I actually thought this was the case for the whole game, until I went back and reread some of the intro scenes when writing my earlier post.
That whole thing was hilarious judging from Noora's facial expressions it looked she had a vibrator in her cooch and was trying to be as discreet as she could. :LOL:

Last edited:

caravaggio

May 8, 2017
Very average game so far. Story might be interesting, renders are surely good, the UI is very nice and also the sound department.
The writing though it's pretty bad, most of the times characters shout each other exposition, too much of it, that's overwhelming and boring, they often laugh like someone made a joke, except no one did, that's creepy.
There are a lot of useless transitions like "5 minutes later", "10 minutes later" when the time jump is so short I guess there's no really need to point it out, I guess this relate to how the dev deals with exposition..
The characters so far are not very interesting or well written, there's the caricatural Frankie, which I think is always a cheap and lazy choice. Another lazy choice is the fact that we can read the other characters thoughts, again see the laziest way to deal with exposition.
Lastly characters facial expressions really fail to deliver emotions, another thing that can improve.

Anyway I hope it gets better 'cause I think there's definitely potential in it, and the dev show passion and care.

sdna1

Oct 1, 2021
Something feels wrong with the Pacing and as people has said the writing needs a lot of work.
not only writing...demo was bad....redone domo alias " first update" was bad to, and now there will be redone of first update....at least they r advertising xera games so there is some good in this "game" :)

Reactions: P3ltier
3.30 star(s) 32 Votes