Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.2.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

performant

Aug 21, 2022
  1. URM used to work well with Pale Carnations, for which I still have a .urm file. But at some point in the course of URM being updated, URM started crashing the game.
  2. I tried reverting to older versions of URM, but I couldn't find them, either here or on 0x52.dev.
  3. At any rate, thank you for the great tool.

Issue Report Information:

• Are you using the latest version of URM?
v1.14, the latest one.

• Which game has the issue (preferably a link to the game's thread)
Pale Carnations [Ch. 4 Update 2 Public]

• If it's a crash (grey screen) attach the "traceback.txt" file
I do get a grey screen.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

• What did you do that caused the issue?
With 0x52_URM.rpa in the /game folder, the game does launch, but whenever I try to load a save or start a new game, I get a grey screen.

• Attach a screenshot of the issue (if possible)
Just a usual grey screen.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Full traceback:
return SetDict(sys._getframe(1).f_locals, name, value)
AttributeError: 'ADVCharacter' object has no attribute '_getframe'
Quote from the F.A.Q. in the very first comment on this thread:

When you get this exception (just showing it partially here):​
return SetDict(sys._getframe(1).f_locals, name, value)
AttributeError: 'ADVCharacter' object has no attribute '_getframe'
This is caused when a developer assigned something to Ren'Py's "sys".​
By doing this they broke Ren'Py itself. You can fix this using these instructions.​

It's not URM's fault, it's because the game developer screwed up.

performant

Aug 21, 2022
Quote from the F.A.Q. in the very first comment on this thread:
It's not URM's fault, it's because the game developer screwed up.
  1. Stupid of me not to bother reading the FAQ before reporting the issue.
  2. Although I have yet to try the fix you suggested, I was fortunate enough to extract from Rip_0x52_URM.zip an older version of URM, v1.5.2, which I just confirmed worked flawlessly with PC. I wonder how relevant this is to your suggestion and the issue?

Reactions: Boehser Onkel

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
  1. Stupid of me not to bother reading the FAQ before reporting the issue.
  2. Although I have yet to try the fix you suggested, I was fortunate enough to extract from Rip_0x52_URM.zip an older version of URM, v1.5.2, which I just confirmed worked flawlessly with PC. I wonder how relevant this is to your suggestion and the issue?
  1. Shame on you! ;)
  2. Can you please tell me what version of URM still works with that game? And only 0x52 might be able to answer your question why older versions of URM still work although the game's developer clearly did something wrong.

Reactions: performant

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
This is one of the best mods I have ever used, thank you so much! That said, I have an issue report.

Are you using the latest version of URM?
Downloaded Today, [Eighteenth of April, 2023]

Which game has the issue (preferable a link to the game's thread)
Divine Dawn [v0.23c] https://f95zone.to/threads/divine-dawn-v0-23c-cryswar.73834/

If it's a crash (grey screen) attach the "traceback.txt" file
No grey screen, but it does crash.

traceback.txt file:

What did you do that caused the issue?
Put a copy of 0x52_URM.rpa into the game folder, then attempted to run the game.

Attach a screenshot of the issue (if possible)
No ren'py window opens.

When URM gave an error (not a grey crash screen), check the log.txt file for lines starting with "0x52:"
No URM error.

log.txt file:

Thanks for the kind words and using the "issue report" steps!
This issue will be fixed in the next release, unfortunately I cannot give a releasedate for it yet.

Also... this dev could be braking other parts of Ren'Py, because they created a function called Action, which is a (used internally by Ren'Py)

1. URM used to work well with Pale Carnations, for which I still have a .urm file. But at some point in the course of URM being updated, URM started crashing the game.
  2. I tried reverting to older versions of URM, but I couldn't find them, either here or on 0x52.dev.
  3. At any rate, thank you for the great tool.

• Are you using the latest version of URM?
v1.14, the latest one.

• Which game has the issue (preferably a link to the game's thread)
Pale Carnations [Ch. 4 Update 2 Public]

• If it's a crash (grey screen) attach the "traceback.txt" file
I do get a grey screen.

• What did you do that caused the issue?
With 0x52_URM.rpa in the /game folder, the game does launch, but whenever I try to load a save or start a new game, I get a grey screen.

• Attach a screenshot of the issue (if possible)
Just a usual grey screen.
Thanks for using the issue reporting steps... such a shame you didn't also check the FAQ :LOL:

As for you second question; you can find all old version on by chosing "Load full history" (under changelog) and then click the version you want.

performant

Aug 21, 2022
  1. Shame on you! ;)
  2. Can you please tell me what version of URM still works with that game? And only 0x52 might be able to answer your question why older versions of URM still work although the game's developer clearly did something wrong.
Yeah, as I said, it's v1.5.2.
Since 0x52 let me know where, I'm going to try and download other older versions of URM between 1.5.2 and the latest in order to potentially help track down what went wrong where and find a workaround.

performant

Aug 21, 2022
As for you second question; you can find all old version on by chosing "Load full history" (under changelog) and then click the version you want.
Thanks for the pointer! I'm going to try other older versions of URM between 1.5.2 and the latest and report back.

Vizer007

Oct 15, 2019
A suggestion:
When you flip some trigger on/off or get some points - get notified. Can be turned on or off in the menu.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Hello, my English is not very good, how can I change it into Chinese?
Sorry. It's only in English

A suggestion:
When you flip some trigger on/off or get some points - get notified. Can be turned on or off in the menu.
I don't understand what you're trying to say. URM has the option to notify you when a value changes

Vizer007

Oct 15, 2019
Sorry. It's only in English

I don't understand what you're trying to say. URM has the option to notify you when a value changes
I meant, that the moment you switch the trigger in the game (by gameplay means) you get notified that, for example, "fork == true" since your character picked up a fork. Same with the values "something +=1" since you got...something. If there is such an option, please tell me how, since I dont see it in notifications.
If you meant path and choice notifications - it sometimes can't find that there will be a value change after the choice for whatever reason, maybe because the result of the choice will be in the other rpy file or something, not really that tech savvy T-T

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Boehser Onkel

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
I meant, that the moment you switch the trigger in the game (by gameplay means) you get notified that, for example, "fork == true" since your character picked up a fork. Same with the values "something +=1" since you got...something. If there is such an option, please tell me how, since I dont see it in notifications.
If you meant path and choice notifications - it sometimes can't find that there will be a value change after the choice for whatever reason, maybe because the result of the choice will be in the other rpy file or something, not really that tech savvy T-T
There's a video demonstrating monitoring variables:

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
does anyone have an older version the newest one isn't working anymore the menu isn't appearing on the screen
The most recent version works perfectly fine. Maybe it's the game (which is...?!) you're trying to use URM with that's the issue.

Anyways, you can find all versions of URM on 0x52's website which is linked in the OP -- just click "Load full history" in the "Changelog" section, then click on any version you like and then "Download" at the top.

Fallen Angel Productions

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 16, 2017
The most recent version works perfectly fine. Maybe it's the game (which is...?!) you're trying to use URM with that's the issue.

Anyways, you can find all versions of URM on 0x52's website which is linked in the OP -- just click "Load full history" in the "Changelog" section, then click on any version you like and then "Download" at the top.
maybe it is the game I got all these errors after the update installed

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes