Mar 11, 2021
These are old bugs I've fixed, but if you have an old save that's been affected by this bugs, you might run into some problems. Could you tell me when you started playing? On my side, it might be worth looking into methods to prevent issues on old saves.

Also, as a side note, there is now an actual situation where fire spells can heal enemies in the fire zone. If an enemy with natural fire resistance in the fire biome gets the pyroclast modifier, they'll heal from all fire damage./
just my luck my old save is still getting hooked by the old bugs, but for spells, I distinctly realized that all spells did negative damage until I cast pain, but the next enemy took damage from lightning spear as normal for some reason. As for when I began, I don't entirely remember the version, pretty sure it was 0.2 but i know my earliest save is from August 25

TwistedScarlett60

Will lewd cute girls for cash
Game Developer
Sep 13, 2019
Have I missed any other obvious Umineko references or were you just having fun with Mirabelle's scene?
You spotted that it was a Umineko reference? I'm impressed! That's a sharp eye even for someone that's read it recently since it's quite a minor scene.
I recently finished my second readthrough of the entire series, and the concept of the seating arrangement along with Mirabelle's fumble in the manor does indeed reflect some small scenes in episode one. I don't think there are any other Umineko references in Unveiling the Unknown, but Umineko in general is a core writing influence for me and I get a lot of good ideas from it.

In my first game, Friendship with Benefits, the character of Melody shares a few expressions with Dlanor:
1701017670121.png 1701017679578.png 1701017688132.png
In my third game, Monster Girl 1,000, the character of Michaela is heavily inspired by Virgilia:
1701017750465.png 1701017780972.png

I'm tempted to make something very inspired by Umineko in the future featuring a murder mystery, but with love, it remains to be seen

Reactions: mullovergem

LolGaye

Mar 7, 2018
Yes, you get a straight defense multiplier instead of shields, though you do still get shields from other sources, just nowhere near the rate you did with Ice Wall before, also enemies now scale primarily with heat to compensate.
I dunno if I just missed them by not paying attention, but I am not aware of any other sources of getting shield besides the starter shield and before this update with Ice Wall.

TwistedScarlett60

Will lewd cute girls for cash
Game Developer
Sep 13, 2019
I dunno if I just missed them by not paying attention, but I am not aware of any other sources of getting shield besides the starter shield and before this update with Ice Wall.
I think there are the only sources of shield right now:
Mirabelle's Core Enhancement gives starting shield.
Mirabelle has an upgrade that gives you shield when you freeze an enemy. Nevermind, I replaced this with a guaranteed evade instead.
There's a blessing that gives +2 shield.
There's a blessing that gives +1 shield every time you create a reaction.

There are currently no events that give shields, but that definitely has potential in the future.

Shield being free, temporary health was a powerful mechanic that I underestimated earlier on in development. Ice Wall was overpowered and the best strategy was to simply spam ice wall every two turns so your run could basically last forever, resulting in a fairly boring, long gameplay loop which rather than engaging with the variety of game mechanics, simply superseded and ignored them instead. Ice Wall may be a little weak now, but the large defense buff will still likely be key in prolonging early-game runs in high heat scenarios.

Reactions: rainwake

LolGaye

Mar 7, 2018
Shield being free, temporary health was a powerful mechanic that I underestimated; Ice Wall was overpowered and the best strategy was to simply spam ice wall every two turns so your run could basically last forever, resulting in a fairly boring, long gameplay loop which rather than engaging with the variety of game mechanics, simply superseded and ignored them instead. Ice Wall may be a little weak now, but the large defense buff will still likely be key in prolonging early-game runs in high heat scenarios.
Gotcha, that makes sense. As you said yeah that was the easiest strat, I relied on it more because I struggled to heal far into the run with the limited mhp. I guess I gotta figure out how to actually heal consistently.

Mar 24, 2019
Another minor glitch.
2023-11-26 (3).png
Lily's Adamantite Weaponry upgrade doesn't show as completed with a crown icon even when max level with all upgrades bought.

oldscarecrow

Jul 2, 2020
Great update here are my random thoughts and some errors that I found.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

SkyBlueWind

Apr 27, 2020
Since there is an affection system, is there a minimum affection requirement for the hangouts? It may be hidden but if there isn't any then I would suggest it. Also, having Seraphina's guidebook rewards be platinum is somewhat weird to me. I would suggest that Emi and Ophelia get the highest tier of rewards since they are supposedly not immediately available.

jahall

Feb 20, 2019
A bug which I don't think has yet been reported. It could have been fixed in 0.5.1 though, as I was quick off te mark in downloading 0.5.0 from the Patreon and didn't want to have to download 0.5.1 as well if it wasn't really necessary. When updating my achievements in the Guidebook, I wasn't able to unlock the one for Emi at level 50, even though it was showing her as being at level 55.

Reactions: TwistedScarlett60
Mar 11, 2021
There are currently no events that give shields, but that definitely has potential in the future.
counterpoint, the event where you're trapped in an illusion and need to cast a spell can give shield if you cast ice wall, matter of fact it gives me about 1.4K shield, presumably due to giving shield equal to my defense for one reason or another.
honestly I'm a little reluctant to point out the bug because it's so comically broken and fun to just magically get over 1000 free health if the right event comes up.

• Haha
Reactions: TwistedScarlett60
Mar 24, 2019
I will say in hindsight, ice shields weren't really that overpowered, in fact in comparison to what's possible now, they wouldn't compete with the escalating heat system hardly at all.

It don't matter if you have a couple thousand shields, you're still getting one shot at high heat levels.

What actually IS broken, is that for some reason, you can indefinitely stack over 100% evade chance by using Pain followed by Emi's ability, and I only mention it now because I know it's gonna be noticed sooner or later.

I can boot up the game as is, cast pain and bubble on an enemy over and over again until I run out of mana, and I'll have over 100% evade chance because casting magic doesn't actually take a turn, so you can do it multiple times, stack up the evade chance using the enhanced spell, and then when the regular bubble buff runs out, I'll still be at over 100, because it only removes the normal amount after 5 turns, not all the bonus evade and crit chance that comes from the pain enhanced version, and all prior casts.

Then you can just spam regular attack against any enemy that doesn't have the "Sniper" modifier, and for enemies that are snipers, you can just beat them with bubbles again for even more evade and crit chance in an infinite loop.

I could attach some pictures in a later post if a demonstration is needed.

As is, Evade from bubbles and pain, and attack power from comet, combined with added mana from Dark Arts are the most overpowered things in this game.

If I knew how, I could set my defense all the way to the lowest possible, and still be untouchable with over a billion heat. Why wear armor if you don't plan to get hit? :ROFLMAO:

The odd thing is, I'm not sure how any of this could be rebalanced unless casting spells actually advanced your turn, but that would discourage the use of the pain spell altogether, as well as the use of reactions, and that would only fix the bubble buff scenario, where as comet would still only take one turn to cast.

Another problem that always seemed like a glitch to me was that even if you kill an enemy in a turn, they can still hit you once after their HP is depleted, meaning damage is unavoidable without spamming magic, which doesn't consume a turn. You're actively discouraged against using basic attack unless you're low on mana and have a high evade chance, but basic attack itself would be useless without evade on high heat runs.

I don't think the current system is bad though, I honestly like it like this, but everything I do feels like it's either cheating, or weak at this point. Maybe that'll be addressed in an upcoming update though.

After all, I am running a maxed out character with all upgrades...though I could theoretically do at least SOME of this with just early game upgrades, it's really increasing max mana and unlocking dark arts that causes the massive power spike, which I assume these are supposed to be mid-late game upgrades anyways.

So I guess it evens out? :unsure:

It's just difficult to gauge where I should be with this currently, since I'm technically constantly fighting enemies that can one shot me if they get a single turn...but if I play a certain way, that'll never happen and I'll be the one who is one shotting enemies indefinitely. Which sort of feels fitting with how the game is presented: The MC is currently a soft, squishy toy ball that any monster worth a damn could tear to pieces, but they're a tactical genius surrounded by some of the strongest people in the world, so technically the tactics are literally their strong suit. It's thematically fitting, and I enjoy the gameplay loop.

But I don't know if that's just me connecting dots that weren't meant to be connected, or if that's actually the feel that the gameplay is going for, since half the features in terms of combat have little to no tutorial yet.

If this were a traditional story with a traditional protagonist, I'd say this was imbalanced in both ways, but yet at the same time-

IT'S NOT-

The gameplay is literally at it's best when you're using your overpowered maids to their fullest extent to protect your frail ass bitch of a body.

Which is EXACTLY how you would imagine these fights playing out-

You're not a traditional turn-based RPG fantasy hero, and you don't play like one either.

The lines are so blurry that I can't tell what's an actual glitch or exploit, and what's intended gameplay half the time-

And I LOVE IT. But am I going crazy?-

Please tell me I'm not the only crazy person. o_O

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019
I will say in hindsight, ice shields weren't really that overpowered, in fact in comparison to what's possible now, they wouldn't compete with the escalating heat system hardly at all.

It don't matter if you have a couple thousand shields, you're still getting one shot at high heat levels.

What actually IS broken, is that for some reason, you can indefinitely stack over 100% evade chance by using Pain followed by Emi's ability, and I only mention it now because I know it's gonna be noticed sooner or later.

I can boot up the game as is, cast pain and bubble on an enemy over and over again until I run out of mana, and I'll have over 100% evade chance because casting magic doesn't actually take a turn, so you can do it multiple times, stack up the evade chance using the enhanced spell, and then when the regular bubble buff runs out, I'll still be at over 100, because it only removes the normal amount after 5 turns, not all the bonus evade and crit chance that comes from the pain enhanced version, and all prior casts.

Then you can just spam regular attack against any enemy that doesn't have the "Sniper" modifier, and for enemies that are snipers, you can just beat them with bubbles again for even more evade and crit chance in an infinite loop.

I could attach some pictures in a later post if a demonstration is needed.

As is, Evade from bubbles and pain, and attack power from comet, combined with added mana from Dark Arts are the most overpowered things in this game.

If I knew how, I could set my defense all the way to the lowest possible, and still be untouchable with over a billion heat. Why wear armor if you don't plan to get hit? :ROFLMAO:

The odd thing is, I'm not sure how any of this could be rebalanced unless casting spells actually advanced your turn, but that would discourage the use of the pain spell altogether, as well as the use of reactions, and that would only fix the bubble buff scenario, where as comet would still only take one turn to cast.

Another problem that always seemed like a glitch to me was that even if you kill an enemy in a turn, they can still hit you once after their HP is depleted, meaning damage is unavoidable without spamming magic, which doesn't consume a turn. You're actively discouraged against using basic attack unless you're low on mana and have a high evade chance, but basic attack itself would be useless without evade on high heat runs.

I don't think the current system is bad though, I honestly like it like this, but everything I do feels like it's either cheating, or weak at this point. Maybe that'll be addressed in an upcoming update though.

After all, I am running a maxed out character with all upgrades...though I could theoretically do at least SOME of this with just early game upgrades, it's really increasing max mana and unlocking dark arts that causes the massive power spike, which I assume these are supposed to be mid-late game upgrades anyways.

So I guess it evens out? :unsure:

It's just difficult to gauge where I should be with this currently, since I'm technically constantly fighting enemies that can one shot me if they get a single turn...but if I play a certain way, that'll never happen and I'll be the one who is one shotting enemies indefinitely. Which sort of feels fitting with how the game is presented: The MC is currently a soft, squishy toy ball that any monster worth a damn could tear to pieces, but they're a tactical genius surrounded by some of the strongest people in the world, so technically the tactics are literally their strong suit. It's thematically fitting, and I enjoy the gameplay loop.

But I don't know if that's just me connecting dots that weren't meant to be connected, or if that's actually the feel that the gameplay is going for, since half the features in terms of combat have little to no tutorial yet.

If this were a traditional story with a traditional protagonist, I'd say this was imbalanced in both ways, but yet at the same time-

IT'S NOT-

The gameplay is literally at it's best when you're using your overpowered maids to their fullest extent to protect your frail ass bitch of a body.

Which is EXACTLY how you would imagine these fights playing out-

You're not a traditional turn-based RPG fantasy hero, and you don't play like one either.

The lines are so blurry that I can't tell what's an actual glitch or exploit, and what's intended gameplay half the time-

And I LOVE IT. But am I going crazy?-

Please tell me I'm not the only crazy person. o_O
I wasn't expecting me talking about ice shields to send me into an existential crisis on the development philosophy of this game, and the nature of translating narrative into actual gameplay mechanics-

This is what happens when I, a min-maxer and exploit guru-

Has no sleep for 24 hours. :ROFLMAO:

Mar 24, 2019
Unlike Monster Girl 1K, this game doesn't keep me up at night, but it is sure as hell the thing my mind obsesses over in a sleep-deprived state.

Mar 24, 2019
And while I'm at it, I'll leave off with the realization that TS is an evil genius, who made Monster Girl 1K, which is literally the perfect version of the archetypical turn-based RPG, hero and everything, then turned around made this, which is mechanically, spiritually and thematically it's polar opposite. Whether intentional or accidental, that shit is poetic as hell, and they're STILL styling on us and this is a completely different universe-
If F95 had a more intense crying emoji, I'd be shedding all the tears right now-

This god damn dev literally can't miss, even their mistakes are perfect and it makes NO LOGICAL SENSE TO ME-

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

4.60 star(s) 73 Votes